Cryptopsy: Tips for tapering Pristiq?

Cryptopsy

Hey guys. I was prescribed 50 mg of Pristiq about 9 months ago however it made me extremely irritable and angry so my doctor advised me to cut it in half and take 25 mg. I have been taking the 25mg for around 7 months after I was advised by my doctor in an attempt to reduce the extreme anger and irritability. I have read on numerous signs that it is not recommended to cut it in half because it removes the time release coating and allows a much higher dose to be absorbed in a much quicker time. I am extremely paranoid because I've been allowing a much higher dose to be absorbed in a much quicker time for about 7 months that I've done permanent damage to my body and this damage will become more apparent after I've stopped taken it. I am extremely worried that the damage will effect my sex drive after taking it. Because there is no line on where to cut it I have probably been cutting it at all sorts of different doses and I'm worried about how this will affect me

I want to get off pristiq because I don't think it is helping my OCD and anxiety and I need some advice on how to taper off it. Should I cut it into quarters or just slow stop taking them and increase the time period in which I take them?

Edited by Petu
Added member name to title

Began taking 50 mg of Zoloft for 6 months before tapering down to 25 mg for 3 months. Changed to 50 mg of Pristiq for 3 months, after 3 months was was put onto 50 mg of Clomipramine before gradually progressing to 200 mg as well as being instructed to cut the Pristiq in half and take it with the Clomipramine.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cryptopsy,

Welcome to SA, thank you for posting, I moved your topic from tapering to Introductions, you will get a better response here, you can use this as your ongoing journal, posting updates related to your progress.

I've never taken Pristiq, but I've read that it can be a tricky drug to taper from, here is our Pristiq tapering thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

Please read the entire topic before making a decision about how to proceed.

If you could add your drug and withdrawal history to your signature, that would be very helpful, instructions for doing that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Others with experience of tapering Pristiq should be along soon to offer support.  You will find a lot of friendly help and advice here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Cryptopsy,

Welcome to SA, thank you for posting, I moved your topic from tapering to Introductions, you will get a better response here, you can use this as your ongoing journal, posting updates related to your progress.

I've never taken Pristiq, but I've read that it can be a tricky drug to taper from, here is our Pristiq tapering thread:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

Please read the entire topic before making a decision about how to proceed.

If you could add your drug and withdrawal history to your signature, that would be very helpful, instructions for doing that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Others with experience of tapering Pristiq should be along soon to offer support.  You will find a lot of friendly help and advice here.

Petu.

I've added my history to my signature. Thank you :)

Began taking 50 mg of Zoloft for 6 months before tapering down to 25 mg for 3 months. Changed to 50 mg of Pristiq for 3 months, after 3 months was was put onto 50 mg of Clomipramine before gradually progressing to 200 mg as well as being instructed to cut the Pristiq in half and take it with the Clomipramine.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys. I've recently started taking Cymbalta because I was going downhill on Pristiq, I only took 25 mg of Pristiq and I believe that caused some problems as well because I would cut the tablet in half. Anyway, I have been on Cymbalta for three days and I have noticed some side effects, combined with the withdrawals from the Pristiq I'm not doing too well. I have no feelings towards anything whatsoever, I'm agitated, I feel worthless and I'm really emotional. I am having some sexual side effects which have begun and they suck as well. I've noticed I'm more angry as well and it's annoying. I don't want to feel like this anymore. Will I get over these side effects or will they be permanent?

• Administrator

Hi, Cryptopsy. I moved your post here; it's more appropriate as an update on your topic.

Switching to Cymbalta rather than Effexor to get off Pristiq adds the confusion of an entirely different drug.

It may be you're experiencing withdrawal from Pristiq or Cymbalta side effects.

How much Cymbalta are you taking?

Are you still taking Clomipramine too? Here are side effects http://www.drugs.com/cdi/clomipramine.html

Here are interactions with Cymbalta http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=702-0,949-2273&professional=1

MONITOR CLOSELY: Concomitant use of agents with serotonergic activity such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, 5-HT1 receptor agonists, ergot alkaloids, cyclobenzaprine, lithium, St. John's wort, phenylpiperidine opioids, dextromethorphan, and tryptophan may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition thought to result from hyperstimulation of brainstem 5-HT1A and 2A receptors. Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, hallucination, and coma; autonomic dysfunction such as tachycardia, hyperthermia, diaphoresis, shivering, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities such as hyperreflexia, myoclonus, tremor, rigidity, and ataxia; and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

MANAGEMENT: In general, the concomitant use of multiple serotonergic agents should be avoided if possible, or otherwise approached with caution if potential benefit is deemed to outweigh the risk. Patients should be closely monitored for symptoms of the serotonin syndrome during treatment. Particular caution is advised when increasing the dosages of these agents. The potential risk for serotonin syndrome should be considered even when administering serotonergic agents sequentially, as some agents may demonstrate a prolonged elimination half-life. For example, a 5-week washout period may be advisable following use of fluoxetine and 3 weeks following the use of vortioxetine before administering another serotonergic agent. If serotonin syndrome develops or is suspected during the course of therapy, all serotonergic agents should be discontinued immediately and supportive care rendered as necessary. Moderately ill patients may also benefit from the administration of a serotonin antagonist (e.g., cyproheptadine, chlorpromazine). Severe cases should be managed under consultation with a toxicologist and may require sedation, neuromuscular paralysis, intubation, and mechanical ventilation in addition to the other measures.

This brings into question the competency of your doctor.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.