soniadreamer: New Here and On my Wean

soniadreamer

Hello All, 

My name is Sonia and since the beginning of December I have started to wean myself from the wild and weird, and sometimes helpful, Effexor.  I have been on antidepressants since I was 16, on and off, and am now 32.  I initially was on Prozac, then was off for a couple of years, but at the age of 20 I began to have odd symptoms, which was eventually concluded to be a chronic illness called Menieres Disease.  MD is a disease which most often occurs in the senior population, and can be quite debilitating.  It also brings with it a high anxiety rate, as the sufferer has dizzy "attacks" which can occur anytime, and so I was put on Effexor, as naturally I became very depressed in dealing with the MD and quite anxious about when an attack would occur.  Since the age of 20, I have been on various doses of Effexor, and for a short time I was even on Pristiq.  For the last almost 3 years I have been on 150mg of Effexor. 

Shortly before Christmas I had forgotten to take the Effexor for 3 days, yet had not realized it.  I found myself vomiting, having brain zaps (which I thought were related to the Menieres), dizzy, sweating, anxious, unable to sleep, fever, chills and diarrhea.  I honestly thought I had either the flu or the Menieres had found a new way to torture me.  Then when I went to take the Effexor, after2 days of feeling like I was dying, I realized I couldn't remember the last time I had taken the little red pill and it hit me…  I was having withdrawals and I was horrified.  Within 2 doses of the Effexor I was back to as healthy as I get and better able to process what had happened to me and I was even more horrified.  How many times had I thought the Meniere's was hitting me when really I had just forgotten to take a dose of Effexor or two?  How could missing even one day have an impact on me?  I tested the theory of one missed dose a week later and sure enough, symptoms I thought were Meniere's would occur.  And so i vowed I would try and get off this antidepressant and if I needed to still treat my depression, I would ask my doctor to prescribe me one that dod not have this kind of dependancy.  

• Diagnosed with Depression at 16 (1997), subsequently put on Prozac

At 18 (1999), off of Prozac

At age 21 (2001- 2002) became very ill with an unknown illness, and became very anxious

Put on an antidepressant ( I think initially Prozac and then Effexor), saw counselors and a psychiatrist to learn to cope with the new illness (after 2 years was officially diagnosed with Meniere's Disease)

In 2007 became pregnant with my first blessing, suffered PostPartum Depression and Effexor increased - went as high as 225mg/day

In 2010 briefly went on Pristiq, then back to Effexor when I found out I was expecting my 2nd blessing - down to 37.5mg/day

No Post Partum and in 2012-2013 experimental treatment made most of the difficult daily symptoms of Meniere's Disease go into a remission state (woohoo!!!!)

In December 2013 I decided that I wanted to try an anti-depressant free life, or especially an Effexor free life - I was on 150mg/daily at that point

Effexor gave me bad side effects, and the drug was now worse than the disease of depression and anxiety

I slowly tapered, and took 3 months to get off of Effexor. the last 2 weeks on Effexor I was also on Prozac, that was in March

My experience with Prozac was horrible, so my Doctor took me off but did not want me off of anti-depressants entirely, as she felt with our long winter, it would be too difficult for me so urged me to try Cipralex, I listened

Was on Cipralex for 6 weeks, but too many side effects, and I felt to blunted (worse than Effexor), so my Doctor tried to put me on Effexor, she gave me a prescription for 37.5mg. but I let her know I was probably not going to use it

That was April 28, 2014, and at Week 3 I am in withdrawal, of which med, I am unsure....

HI Sonia

I am not familiar with MD but I can understand how it can bring on anxiety.  Yes missing any antidepressant will generally bring on withdrawal.  Effexor is one of the hardest in terms of the wd effects.  Truthfully none of them is a walk in the park to get off of.

If you do switch to another medication, the likelihood is that you will have wd from effexor for a good amount of time afterwards.  It happens with this drug and Paxil.  I went thru it with paxil, but eventually it did pass.

There is a post in this site which someone will highlight for you on how to safely taper off of Effexor.  The symptoms you described are truly withdrawal symptoms.  All of us here have or are having issues with them.

There will be others along shortly to help you out.  Nice to meet you.....Sonia just for now don't play around with the dose until you learn how to taper.  These drugs can loose their 'punch' (to work) if we skip doses or go up and down....something doctors did not know about when they were prescribing...

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sonia,

Welcome and thank you for posting an introduction.  The safest way to taper from Effexor and similar medications is by reducing by 10% of your current dose every 4 weeks, here is a link to our tips for tapering off Effexor:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

It would be helpful if you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature, that way members can easily see your context when answering posts, instructions for how to do that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

When you have successfully withdrawn from Effexor, you don't have to go on another medication, there are healthier ways to manage depression.

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here. 

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hey Everyone,

I am currently weaning off of 150mg of Effexor And here is an update.  I have read about how to safely withdraw and am under a doctor's care.  I am down to 75mg, and have been on this dose for over a week and I have had very few side effects, because of how I tapered (thankfully).  I am officially half-way to my goal of becoming Effexor free!  It has taken time to get my dose to half of what I was on and I know that this second half will be the hardest, but i will do it slowly, pay attention to how my body reacts to any decreases I make, and react accordingly.  This is not an easy wean, and not an easy process, but I am so proud of my progress and believe any and all decreases, no matter how long they take, are a victory for me.  BTW I feel good right now, I am starting to feel less numb and starting to sleep less.  I am more quick to agitate at times, and am having some restless nights, but nothing that I cannot cope with.  I am still able to work and parent and so I am in a  good place.  I have had some bumps, but I  have not considered them setbacks, just learning experiences.  Any tips or ideas on how to smoothly get through this second half if the wean?  Thanks everyone for the continued support.

At age 21 (2001- 2002) became very ill with an unknown illness, and became very anxious

Put on an antidepressant ( I think initially Prozac and then Effexor), saw counselors and a psychiatrist to learn to cope with the new illness (after 2 years was officially diagnosed with Meniere's Disease)

In 2007 became pregnant with my first blessing, suffered PostPartum Depression and Effexor increased - went as high as 225mg/day

In 2010 briefly went on Pristiq, then back to Effexor when I found out I was expecting my 2nd blessing - down to 37.5mg/day

No Post Partum and in 2012-2013 experimental treatment made most of the difficult daily symptoms of Meniere's Disease go into a remission state (woohoo!!!!)

In December 2013 I decided that I wanted to try an anti-depressant free life, or especially an Effexor free life - I was on 150mg/daily at that point

Effexor gave me bad side effects, and the drug was now worse than the disease of depression and anxiety

I slowly tapered, and took 3 months to get off of Effexor. the last 2 weeks on Effexor I was also on Prozac, that was in March

My experience with Prozac was horrible, so my Doctor took me off but did not want me off of anti-depressants entirely, as she felt with our long winter, it would be too difficult for me so urged me to try Cipralex, I listened

Was on Cipralex for 6 weeks, but too many side effects, and I felt to blunted (worse than Effexor), so my Doctor tried to put me on Effexor, she gave me a prescription for 37.5mg. but I let her know I was probably not going to use it

That was April 28, 2014, and at Week 3 I am in withdrawal, of which med, I am unsure....

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sonia, I moved your update to your original thread, it is one thread per person in introductions.

How long did it take to go from 150 to 75? Most doctors advise a taper that is far too fast and 

people inevitably end up back on the full dose being told they need the drug for life!  My guess it 

that the next step will be either to drop to 37.5 or to take a dose every other day for a week, drop to

37.5 every other day for a week then stop. This is the standard weaning process that is taught to

doctors.  I hope I am wrong and you have been tapering for months rather than days! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, Sonia.

It sounds like you went from 150mg to 75mg in a week. A 50% reduction is very fast. Please consider holding at this level for a month to let your nervous system get used to the change.

Don't skip doses to taper, please.

Please read this, as Petu suggested

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

mammaP and Altostrata, 

No I have not tapered in days, I am sorry I should have made that clear.  It took me about 3 months to get down to 75mg.  When I decided to wean, I began by taking out beads at a slow rate, then when I felt it was time, I went to my doctor to get her to decrease me further.  I was worried about going to the doctor too soon, as I knew my doctor would try and wean me too quickly and had I done the jump she would have wanted me too, I think I would have been unable to cope with the withdrawal.  When i went to my Dr.  I explained what I had been doing, and while she was not thrilled, she did respect my decision to taper the way I needed to.  

I will soon be going down again, in dosage.  My doctor was wanting me to go from a 75mg dose, to a 37.5mg dosage, but I felt like that may have been too big a jump, so I discussed with her about counting out beads from the 75mg dose for a couple of weeks first; she was not particularly receptive to this so I asked her for a couple more weeks of the 75 mg dosage, as I felt unready to decrease yet, and have done the counting out of the beads on my own.  I have to do this slowly and at the pace my body dictates and not how my doctor has read I should do it.  I hope that clarifies things...   

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for setting us straight Sonia. I'm glad you didn't taper in days and pleased that

you have been doing well on 75mg. You have the right idea to listen to your body and taper much

more slowly than the doctor advises, they really don't have a clue how bad withdrawal can be and

almost always believe that it is a relapse and an indication that you need psychiatric meds for life  :( .

We suggest to taper no more than 10% of the current dose, which would be 7.5 mg but even smaller

cuts are better in my experience with tapering effexor.  Have fun counting those beads!!

I don't know how I didn't end up cross-eyed in the process  ;) !

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Yes, you need to do this as needed by your body! Make sure your doctor understands this.

Doctors should be our consultants and guides, not dictators.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

Hello, 

I am feeling very alone and looking for answers, so here I am.  

My History

- I was diagnosed with depression at age 16, was put on Prozac.  A year later I was taken off and all was well

- UNTIL age 20 when something traumatic happened and Depression and Anxiety swept in and took over

- I was put on various meds, at various doses, (too numerous to mention, most of which I don't remember as I was dealing with a worse illness, and the depression and anxiety seemed almost a side effect of that disease).

- At age 27 had my first child and suffered Postpartum depression

- I was already on low dose Effexor, but put on a higher dose, went to counselling, and things got better…I remained on Effexor

- At age 30 had my 2nd child, and it was great

- Since then I have had some anxiety, but all has been relatively good in my life, experimental treatment put my other illness in a remission-like state and so I decided it was time to try life with out Effexor

- I had always had side effects front he Effexor (some quite severe, including suicidal thoughts if I had forgotten to take 2 or sometimes even 1 dose) so now (at age 33), I figured it was time to get off.  My Dr. and I did the tapering (she wanted me to quickly taper, but I dragged it out, feeling it was too quick) and was able to get off Effexor and onto Prozac

- Prozac made me very ill, so my Dr.  not wanting me to be fully off of anti-depressants, convinced me to go on Cipralex (Lexapro), I was subsequently on it for just over a month

- Again I had some side effects, and I felt numb, and so I talked to my Dr. who felt it wasn't working properly, so she then wanted me back on the EFFEXOR (37.5mg)….the drug that took me 3 months to get off.  I took the prescription but let her know that I wasn't sure if I would take it.

- I didn't.

Now it is 3 weeks later and I have gone through some difficult withdrawal symptoms.  The first 3 days I was fine, but then the flu-like symptoms came, followed by the brain zaps, and the night sweats and nightmares. I am exhausted, all I want to do is sleep.  I feel like I am in a fog, but my anxiety has been okay until 4 days ago.  Now, I am having obsessive thoughts; I focus and think and rethink on small details, or comments made by others or things I have said.  I am so emotional and I am angry and crying.  My concern is that at 3 weeks into the withdrawal, are these symptoms still the withdrawal or is the depression returning?  I am willing to push through this if it is withdrawal, as I know it will end, but when?  Is it normal to be this emotionally unsettled and unstable 3 weeks into the withdrawal process?  Also how did others handle these symptoms?  I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and I am trying to continue to play with them and make sure I am present for them during this process but am finding it challenging (thank goodness I have a supportive husband).  I tried to look up other withdrawal stories, but found it difficult as I have no idea which of the anti-depressants I was on, is the one causing the withdrawal.. (I suspect it is a combination of all of them).  Please help.  

Thank-you

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Soniadreamer.  Let me be the first to welcome you to SA.  One of the admins will be along shortly to answer your questions and help put you on the right path. You absolutely came to the right place. I'm simply another member here.  I'm withdrawing from Prozac.  While I don't have the expertise that the administrators here have, I can hopefully offer you some comfort in the meantime:

I feel like I am in a fog, but my anxiety has been okay until 4 days ago.  Now, I am having obsessive thoughts; I focus and think and rethink on small details, or comments made by others or things I have said.  I am so emotional and I am angry and crying.  My concern is that at 3 weeks into the withdrawal, are these symptoms still the withdrawal or is the depression returning?  I am willing to push through this if it is withdrawal, as I know it will end, but when?  Is it normal to be this emotionally unsettled and unstable 3 weeks into the withdrawal process?  Also how did others handle these symptoms? 

The reason so many people end up on them for so long (myself included) is because we believe, and our pdocs tell us that the symptoms are return of our depression, anxiety, or what have you.  From all the information I've garnered from the other's here and read and experienced myself, all the symptoms you described are consistent with withdrawal.  And yes, even three weeks in.  No question.  

You'll get much more detailed information on your symptoms, the process of withdrawal as well as various ways to handle the horrid symptoms from the administrators who will respond.  

Welcome! I'm glad you found this site!   

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Administrator

Sonia, how did you taper off Effexor? Do you have any Effexor left?

Altostrata, 

I do have Effexor, 37.5 mg pills.  My doctor prescribed them to me, when she took me off the Cipralex and did not want me off the anti-depressants.  It took me 4 months to get me off of Effexor.  I tapered slowly (counting out beads).  I started at 150 mg and tapered down by small doses from there.  When I reached 37.5mg, I counted beads until I got down to about 25mg and then was put on Prozac to take at the same time as the Effexor.  After 2 weeks I then got off the Effexor, stayed on the Prozac for another 3 weeks.  The Prozac made me feel awful and my Dr.  felt the side effects were too great to continue so she put me on Cipralex.  I was on Cipralex from the end of March to the end of April.  I have been off all meds since April 28th.

Thanks Addax.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Sonia,

it would be really helpful to try and put your drug history in your signature following the link Petu provided earlier. In that way everybody can immediately see what is going on without having to browse through the thread looking for the information when we want to help you. (it's not so complicated and it will make things clearer for you too ;)

best,

bubble

It would be helpful if you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature, that way members can easily see your context when answering posts, instructions for how to do that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

When you have successfully withdrawn from Effexor, you don't have to go on another medication, there are healthier ways to manage depression.

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here. 

Petu.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks  Bubble and Petu, it is done.

Sonia

• Administrator
The Prozac made me feel awful and my Dr.  felt the side effects were too great to continue so she put me on Cipralex.

How much Prozac were you taking? At what point did it make you feel awful? Did the Cipralex help?

It's a long shot, but a few beads of Effexor might help. Maybe 5 beads?

I was on 20mg of Prozac.  Then put on 10 mg of Cipralex.  Cipralex made me feel totally out of body, like I was watching myself go through the motions of my life, but that I was unconnected to it all.  I felt no emotions and slept ALOT.  I hated feeling like I had no control and cared little for what was happening around me.  After 6 weeks on it I was still sleeping 14-16 hours a day and was just numb so I was taken off.  My doctor said that there was to be no withdrawal from Cipralex, so I thought it was the best time to be completely off antidepressants.  My doctor wanted me back on 37.5 mg of Effexor until the summer then go off of them, but I just couldn't do that…  I may get desperate enough to take those 5 little beads, but not yet.  I HATE the idea of going back on Effexor...

Any idea how long this withdrawal will last?  Can people tell this early if it is the depression coming back?

• Administrator

It sounds like withdrawal syndrome.

How about trying 2mg Cipralex? Side effects are dosage-related. Lower dosage, fewer side effects.

Sleep sounds like a good idea.

Altostrata, 

I have very little of the Cipralex and my doctor would not be supportive of me asking to be put on it, as she wants me on Effexor…  I am dreading the appointment I have with her in June.

So, I had a good day, and a trying day.  My emotions are all over the place, one minute I could cry and the next I could just rage.  I am having a hard time not acting on how angry I am….  It could be the stupidest, most random thing, and I could just yell and yell about it.  Unfortunately my poor hubby is bearing the brunt of it all; I have been able to tone down my anger reactions towards my children.  I justify my anger towards my husband because there is some true reasons to be angry, but my reactions are over the top. It is worse in the afternoon when I am tired.  I have a limited amount of sanity and positivity and it seems I am all out by 2pm. I am having brain zaps, or shivers, and am tired, but restless.  I do believe that I will be better in the long run getting off the antidepressants, but I really wish I had more guidance (don't we all though).  It is so crazy that a drug has the power to do this to our systems, and yet few doctors seem to be able to help us when it was the drug they prescribed in the first place.  Anyway, I just need  a place to chronicle and ask questions….thank-you for that place.  

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how difficult it is to change doctors in Canada, but it sounds to me like you need a new one who better understands withdrawal. If you can go to someone else please do so, get a prescription for Cipralex, and go on the small dose Alto recommended. By not reinstating while there's still time to do so with considerable assurance that it will help (a window of about 30 days), you stand to be in withdrawal for months, if not years. Cipralex is the generic form of Lexapro, and I can tell you that it took me over two years to get back to normal.  The first six months of withdrawal were hell, and I was barely able to function at all for the first three months. You might want to read my Intro and Success Story which are both linked in my signature. If all else fails, go back on the Effexor at the reduced dose recommended above. You're asking for a lot of misery by going cold turkey. Please read this:

Why Taper By 10% of My Dosage?

Depression is a very common feature of withdrawal and it lasts a long time.  Often doctors mistake it for a relapse and add more drugs, but that just makes the problem worse in the long run. All that antidepressants do is make a person numb, which solves no problems. There are reasons why people get depressed, sometimes medical (such as hormonal disruption after giving birth, very commonly mistaken as Post-Partum Depression), sometimes situational as in a miserable marriage, but there are reasons and those reasons need to be found and dealt with, not numbed out.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Unfortunately Jemima changing Doctors is not an option where I am.  There are a shortage of Doctor's and so many are without a primary care physician (it isn't like this everywhere in Canada, just in some areas).  I was only on the Cipralex, or Lexapro for 6 weeks, is that long enough for it to cause withdrawal?  I am seriously considering going on the Effexor again (as much as I HATE to do it) at a low dose….but now I wonder if that will help, if the withdrawal I am feeling is from the Cipralex...

• Administrator

Why does your doctor want you to take Effexor?

If I were you, I'd insist on the Cipralex. Look her in the eye, speak firmly and clearly, and do not cry, whimper, beg, or argue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sensitivity to SSRI antidepressants varies so much among individuals that you very will may have developed withdrawal symptoms from Cipralex after only six weeks. Then again, we're dealing with withdrawal from two drugs, so it's very difficult to say what's causing what.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Altostrata, 

I see my Doctor in a few weeks, and if things have not gotten better by then, I will discuss with her about trying the Cipralex again.  I have valid reasons for not going back to the Effexor, so if she wants me on an anti-depressant she will have to compromise.  My doctor has been my doctor for awhile, so in some ways that is a good thing, as she does know me, but in other ways it is hard as I feel she doesn't see me, just my history.  I am dreading my appointment with her if things don't get better;  I would love to be able to say that I was off the SSRI's and feeling good.  If that doesn't happen I have to be honest with myself and just suck it up and have an honest conversation which will be brutal for me.  If it comes to that I will bring my husband with me for support:  I am less likely to sugar coat and be more up front if there is someone there to hold me accountable.  It is hard as I am feeling weak, both emotionally and physically, so am more prone to back down.  BUT today has been a good day, my anger has been mild today, and while I have felt sad in moments, they were when I saw something sad, so I can see that my brain is trying to regulate.  

Jemima, 

That is a major point of confusion for me.  What exactly am I withdrawing from, the Effexor, the Lexapro (Cipralex) or both,  so which would be better for me to be put back on, at a low dose?  Right now I am leaning towards the Cipralex to be on, over the Effexor, but I only feel this way because from an emotional prospective, I blame the Effexor for keeping me numb and filled with side effects for so long, I don't want to go back on that.

• Administrator

Well, since you have the Effexor, why not try 5 beads to see if that helps with symptoms?