Phoebe: I am tapering from effexor

Phoebe

Hello... I have decided to wean myself off Effexor.  I was on Prozac for about 15 years (dr. put me on to help with perimenopause), then another dr. switched me to Effexor about 2 years ago as he said it would help with hot flashes.

A week ago I cut my dose in half and have been experiencing many side effects, so I did an internet search and found this site.  After reading the "tapering..." forum, I realize I cut back way too much and will now start the 10%/month approach.

Thank goodness I found you... I am so glad to have found a support system.

Feb 1, 2014 on 40mg Effexor

Have been on Effexor for several years, prior to that Prozac for 15 years

Feb 12th-18th, I tried a 50% reduction and experienced intense symptoms

Found this forum and realized that was way too much!

March 1, 2014 will start 10% cutback/month

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Phoebe, I'm glad you found us early in your tapering process.  A 50% cut is too much and its not surprising you are feeling symptoms.  Have you reinstated your full dose now?   How much are you taking now?

Please would you put your drug history in you signature, it helps people to easily see your situation and be able to offer suggestions.  Instructions for how to do that are here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Phoebe.  I'm glad you found us before your withdrawal symptoms got bad. 

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

I have added my drug history in my signature... thank you Petu!

After reading here about tapering off, I took the rest of my dose (40mg Effexor) this afternoon and am feeling better this evening.  I will wait till March to start the 10%/month reduction.  I also increased my fish oil to 2,000mg this afternoon.

Thank you for your welcome, Jemima :)

I am like- Phoebe: effexor(225mg) for several years, Prozac prior for 15 + years; i started effexor through a clinical trial and want off-I am a different person after taking this drug and don't like it. The clinical trial screener suggested this Effexor XR 75mg 2 tabs for 1 week then 1 tab for 1 week then effexor XR 37.5 for 1 to 2 weeks, make it sound easy?

I tried to get off a two years ago but didn't do it right.  I would like to start this today but only have solid tablets of 225 mg.  

linlo

Prozac 15+ years

Effexor 3+ years

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Phoebe,  welcome to SA.  I'm glad you found us before you were hit my withdrawal.

This is a very friendly and helpful forum and you'll get lots of support. 

I am like- Phoebe: effexor(225mg) for several years, Prozac prior for 15 + years; i started effexor through a clinical trial and want off-I am a different person after taking this drug and don't like it. The clinical trial screener suggested this Effexor XR 75mg 2 tabs for 1 week then 1 tab for 1 week then effexor XR 37.5 for 1 to 2 weeks, make it sound easy?

I tried to get off a two years ago but didn't do it right.  I would like to start this today but only have solid tablets of 225 mg.  

Hi Linlo, it would be good for you to start a thread for yourself here in the introductions  forum and we will be able to help you

with your taper. It's good that you found us. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Welcome, Phoebe.

Here is our topic for tapering Effexor http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tips-for-tapering-off-effexor-and-effexor-xr-venlafaxine/

linlo, I started your Introductions topic here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5809-linlo99-going-off-venlafaxine-er/

Please add to it and ask your questions there.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you so much for the welcomes... I decided not to wait until March and started my 10% reduction yesterday.  I have also increased my fish oil intake. 

I have everything crossed that this goes well!

Hi Phoebe, I am also beginning to taper off effexor, 150mg, I started 10 days ago and reduced initially by 25% as suggested by my doctor. Thank goodness I found this site and have adjusted back up a bit to help with the withdrawal headaches I have been getting in the last few days. Hope you go well, I am interested to see others are going through this at the same time.

March 2012 Fluoxetine 20mg

June 2012 change to Escitalopram 20mg

August 2012 change to Venlafaxine, Effexor XR 150mg

March 2013 add Ropinirole 0.5mg for restless legs syndrome seriously disturbing sleep

Feb 10th 2014 begin tapering off Effexor 150mg by 25% as per Dr.

Feb 19th 2014 Bad headaches..relief in finding SA site.

Feb 20th Increase Effexor to 131.25mg. Head improves over next few days.

March 28th decrease Effexor by 5 % to 125mg. Brain fog + depression after 10 days but passes by.

May 6th decrease Effexor to 118.75mg depression + brain fog lasting 10 days

June4th-112.5mg, July 21st-106mg,August 30th-101mg

2015 - 5% decrease as able, January 2016-50mg + struggling.

Hi Phoebe & Linlo- & Annabel-

I want to add my welcome also. You have found a wonderful site. It was literally a Godsend for me when I found it last summer. The people here are very knowledgeable and kind. I dare to say they know more about withdrawal & tapering than anyone around. Blessings to you!!

Jan. 1994 Pamelor

2000 switched to Zoloft 

2011 Zoloft pooped out- Dr. switched me directly to Lexapro15mg -had a horrible 6mths

2013 upped Lexapro to 20 mgs-pooped out

June 2013 Dr. added 150 Wellbutrin to Lexapro.

July 2013 Switched back to Zoloft 100mgs.Was still taking Wellbutrin. Lots of anxiety from the Wellbutrin

July 2013 Started to wean Wellbutrin- off by Sept.

Oct. 2013 added 400 mgs of Neurotin to the Zoloft

Jan 2014 Tapered off of the Zoloft and onto Prozac 30 mgs. Also still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Feb 2014 Reduced Prozac to 13 mgs. Still taking 400 mgs Neurotin

Aug. 2014 Prozac 13 mgs. Finished with Neurotin. .7 Risperadol

Hi Annabel and Zoe - Yes... a Godsend for sure!  I was so suffering from reducing too quickly; right down to hitting a concrete column in our parking garage because my senses were so off!  Now that I have found this site, I will taper off very slowly and look forward to the day I am "clean."  The effects I had last week give me true sympathy for people in withdrawal.... I just never thought I was one of them!  Once I have accomplished this taper, I will then take on my Ambien.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Phoebe, in response to your question on pill cutters, read the link Alto gave you on tapering effexor above.. then you can ask more specific questions. I know the amount of information on this site can seem overwhelming to someone new. It seemed that way when I made a liquid suspension for the first time, but it really gets easy!

You might also want to read the link on tapering 10% http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/ There is lots more information in the taper forum.

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Welcome

I glad you all came here early on your taper!

I wish I would have found this site before tapering. I went down by 50% from the start. I had only been on 150mg for 6 weeks but it's been like living through a bad dream ever since. I wish you the best on your taper.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

Thank you Skyler and Lexy!  I went down 50% at the start too and it was so VERY difficult... once I found this site, I went back to my old dosage and am now doing a 10% taper for a month.  All is well so far.  Thank you for the good wishes and I send them right back!

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you went back and started a slow taper Phoebe, it is by far the best way

to get off these drugs.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible