I can feel both dance and music changing and healing my brains neurons http://wp.me/p5nnb-azi

GiaK

recovery happens...

I managed to get out and dance at a 5 Rhythms event. That’s ecstatic dance inspired by Gabriel Roth. That perhaps has been my biggest victory. I danced for a full hour and stayed at the event for 2 hours. Another VICTORY. First time out in the evening. First time sustaining high intensity exercise for a whole hour too.

We looked very much like the folks in the below video. Without the white clothes. icon_smile.gif?m=1129645325g

We each possess a fierce wisdom that only comes from within. To practice getting out of its way, getting into our groove and stripping away the things that are blocking its blossoming is our medicine. Taking refuge from the world of doing to truly connect with our deepest self, to hook up to the divine force that moves all things and become deeply rooted in the mysterious workings of our inner worlds, is holy work that feeds the soul.

I can feel both dance and music changing and healing my brains neurons. Seriously. We can change our brains and I’m doing it. Neuroplasticity.

To learn a little about Gabriel Roth visit these posts on Beyond Meds:

More posts on music, sound and dance healing:

And one on yoga for healing:

Original link to post:  http://wp.me/p5nnb-azi

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I am so glad for you Gia; yes, recovery happens.

Hugs,A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Fantastic! Congratulations - a strong sign of recovery. That's great you managed to dance for an hour.

I have wanted to try 5Rhythms for ages, I just loved dancing in my youth. I think it can be really powerful and 5Rhythms looks like it wd be really healing and freeing.

I ' m not sure if anyone I know would be up for it though! Does anyone know if people tend to go with friends or on their own?

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

it's a solo thing mostly...there is no talking allowed...so there is no particular reason in going with anyone really...

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

also I went back today...for the sunday morning wave...and I danced for about 20 minutes...did a bit of yoga and then meditated cross legged for about 15 minutes and left...because I couldn't do what I did the other day...you can basically do whatever you want...and emoting is welcome...so that includes crying in the corner if you feel like it

Glad you were able to go again Gia.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised it was a no talking thing.

It's good to know that emoting is allowed, as I was a bit scared that if I went, loads of emotion would pour out due to the trauma of withdrawal.

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

these are people who get it...it's a healing community...this is the way mental health should be practiced...I also find I can tell people what is going on with me and they are respectful...I don't give details...just that i'm recovering from a very serious health issue...I often tell folks it's a brain injury...because it is...in any case I do talk explicitly about what it's like to heal etc...and people get it on some level in these circles I'm finding. 

That's good to know Gia.

Its so encouraging when you find some acceptance or recognition.

I 've found that speaking to someone who has the ability to listen, to hear what you are saying and is respectful can be a healing thing in itself.

I think it's so sad that crying or expression of emotion is often seen as a negative thing, even in some therapeutic ( or other) situations. I 'am increasingly finding that letting myself feel is healing. Burying things is just not healthy for me.

I just wanted to find out where you get the motivation to do all these things... There are a host of things i would love to do, but i have no motivation/energy to start them. I dont know if this is part of anhedonia/apathy, but it is very hard. I just cant start something. Anything. Wil lthis get better? I just feel like lying down all the time as i have -0 energy levels and no motivation.

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

I am so happy for you GiaK.  You are a great inspiration.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Olivia,

I was bedridden for two years. My muscles became completely atrophied...that was part of my journey and I could not do anything at that time. I couldn't talk. I couldn't walk. I couldn't leave the house or my bed...being with what is...including that level of hellish pain and disability was part of my healing process. And clearly, yes, it got better. 

Hi Gia,

So glad to hear you're doing 5 rhythms dance!

I've been going to 5 rhythms class for 1.5 years and it's been the key ingredient to my healing. Usually after a class I feel like I've released a lot and feel elated. If I've physically overdone it, I'll stay in bed afterwards for the rest of the day, but it's worth it to me. My instructor is amazing. The class inspired me creatively, see things in a different light and most importantly, get out of my head. I aim to dance for the rest of my life. It's the one activity that brings me the most joy in my life.

Feel the beat in the feet. 

1993-2003 Prozac 20mg
2003-2010 Zoloft 10mg
2010-2012 Zoloft 10mg to 1mg (taper)

July 2012 - Drug free!

• Moderator Emeritus

So happy to hear more news of your ongoing healing, Gia. You continue to be an inspiration and a source of important new information and guidance to me all the time.

It was your blog that helped me get started on this whole journey four years ago, and I am so so grateful for how far I've come today and the hope I now have for what's left of my years.  I know you continue to inform and inspire thousands of people all over the world, as well as helping people like me who go on to help others. You've done such valuable work, in spite of and through your own suffering.

Every time I read one of your posts these days with your new and building victories, I smile and feel such joy. Thank you for sharing your journey!

Oh, and: I love to dance! Have to check out this 5 rhythms thing, although I doubt they do it out here in the boonies where I live.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy