Galandriel New with Withdrawl after Cymbalta - and what now?

Galandriel

Hi,

I 'm new and English isn't my mother-tongue, I hope you can understand my post.

As you can read in my signature, I went off Cymbalta and Trittico in Oktober last year - Cold Turkey. I've been told by my doctor: you can quit anytime, no problem.

A few weeks, I did great, nothing really bad happened. In december 2013 started the nightmare! My mood started to change to grey and I had a few rough days with anger-outbursts and crying-sessions. I was told, that my depression was back and that I should probably take my meds again. What I didn't want to and in January 2014 my situation improved and I felt better.

Sinds February, it has gotten even worse. It seems, as if my brain is changing and gives me thoughts, that I don't want to think. It feels like a second person sits inside my head and tells me stuff and makes me very angry. So my agressevity and ouburst increased to 250 %. Is that really me???

At that moment, I started searching the web and found infos about withdrawl. It seemed to me, that I found a reason for my symptoms. I talked to my therapist about it. As you surely guess, there was no help...because withdrawl occurs within several days after quitting, when there are weeks or months between quitting and symptoms, it's not withdrawl.

Right now I have really heavy problems, which affect my whole life:

- running thoughts about the same issue, over and over again

- no more Feelings of Love for my husband or my children (I have been a Family Woman all my life)

- no mor feelings of joy and happiness

- crying attacks for really small events or even worse, for nothing at all

- yelling ourburst at my kids and husband for no reason leads to not talking any more

- anxity of false behaviour with other people. That leads to avoiding social contacts

- thoughts of suicide because there is no more joy or love in my life

- from 4 am I cannot sleep anymore

- gained 7 kilo of weight without changing my eating habbit

When talking to my therapist, there's not really help. She's talking about depression again...but it feels completly diffrent, than when I took Cymbalta in the first place. I wish, I never did!!!!

My question is: would taking Cymbalta again and reduce it properly help to easy w/d? Or is it a good idea to skip to another medicine, which can be tapered much easier? Or what can I do to make it a bit easier?

I don't want to loose my husband or children in this...really thinking, I'm going insane or schizophrenic...

Dec.2011 Put on 60 mg Cymbalta in the morning and Trittico 100 mg in the evening because of a nervous breakdown after really heavy mobbing caused by my boss. Diagnosis: BurnOut.

Quit on both Oktober 2013, because I felt not needing them anymore. Never before heard over w/d or any problem with AD...

Dec.2013 started slowly my problems: feeling bad without any reason, gain of 7 kg weight without changing my food habbit, outburst in tears and crying in the wirdest situations, outburst in anger for no reason, starting to wake up at 04:00am and could not sleep anymore, no more feelings of joy and happiness, fear of meeting people,running nose, getting really heavy thoughts of suicide not knowing where they come from, running thoughts not able to stop them, ...

22.3.14 Reinstate Cymbalta 5 beads

29.3.14 2 x 5 beads Cymbalta

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Galandriel, I just wanted to say hello and let you know you have been heard. Welcome. I'm sorry you ended up here and I'm so sorry for your suffering and anguish.

Everything you are experiencing is typical of SSRI withdrawal syndrome. I have heard the same story a hundred times over, the same things you describe. No, this is not a relapse of your depression; as you have observed these are not the same symptoms you felt with depression.  You never felt most of these things before taking the AD. These are typical withdrawal symptoms.  You can trust your own observations of yourself. Very few doctors or therapists understand that the worst of AD withdrawal often doesn't hit until several months out. It's typical for people to be diagnosed with a "relapse" around three to six months out, that seems to be a time when symptoms often ramp up.

At this point it has been almost six months since you dropped the Cymbalta cold turkey. This is a long time off for a reinstatement back on the drug.  At this point it's hard to say if it would help or not.  You can read our section on reinstatement here: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

If after reading the above and reading the suggestions posted by other members, you do consider starting another AD or other med, please consider starting at a very low dose, below the usual bottom dose. Your nervous system is probably extra sensitized right now.  Also, you might want to consider trying something else besides Cymbalta, something easier to taper eventually--but please see what other people suggest, especially Alto, who is an expert on this subject. This is not so much my own area of strength.

You will find good information and support here. Other people will be replying to you soon. Meanwhile, welcome, we do understand, and you're not crazy or imagining things. What you're experiencing is something millions of people all over the planet are going through and it's caused by the drug that you took and the way it changed your brain and body when you were taking it.

These changes are eventually reversible and you will heal over time. Unfortunately it can be a long and hellish time.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi Galandriel,

welcome, I am happy you found the forum.

When reading your post, I simply thought that I shared so much with you... I too was cold-turkeyed, the months that followed are my biggest nightmare. I have children too and now I struggle with being with them, with basic things. If you want to, feel free to contact me anytime here or by message ......I fell so sorry for what you have been through.

I am afraid I cannot help you with the subject of reinstating, I don´t understand it well. I hope somebody will come and help.

I am sending you greetings from central Europe, I do hope you feel better soon and that you will find many good pieces of advice here.

Wolfhound

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

In the former hospital i took twice gabapentin. It should be all my medication.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would lso like to welcome you and let you know you are not alone.

We are all waiting for Alto to say what would be the best course of action under your circumstances so that you don't experiment further.

You are at the right place and things will get better. We have all felt like you at one point (that's why we came here) and now we are feeling better.

hang in there. Maybe you could take magnesium to ease anxiety? http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

try to get magnesium glycinate because it is easy on the stomach and take a tablet several times a day rather than all at once. I ordered my online from iherb.com

waiting for Alto...

come here any time you need support or need to vent or express anything.

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Welcome, Galandriel.

At so long off Cymbalta and trazodone, taking a little bit of Cymbalta, which we call reinstatement, may or may not help.

Do you have any Cymbalta left? What you might do is open the capsule, take 5 of the beads inside, and see if that helps.

Otherwise, you'll just have to cope with these post-discontinuation symptoms. Many people do well with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi to all of you and thanks for the warm welcome.

The more I read here, the more angry I get about the doctors ... Even though I know, that doesen' t help.

Alto, yes I still have some Cymbalta left. If I am going to reinstatement, Do you know, if staying on the same substance would be safer, than to start with another AD, which will be easier to taper? Because the body, who is overeacting and alert, does not have to deal with new substance...is my idea, don't be sure, if I 'm right.

I was reading the links you posted. Fishoil sounds like a good thing I'm not quiet sure, if Magnesium is necessary right now.

I will go to town, to see, if I can find these supplements. Switzerland is very restrictive about these things. But anyway I will find a way.

What a hard struggle...but I'm glad, I found this Forum. It's a good feeling, not beeing alone!

Dec.2011 Put on 60 mg Cymbalta in the morning and Trittico 100 mg in the evening because of a nervous breakdown after really heavy mobbing caused by my boss. Diagnosis: BurnOut.

Quit on both Oktober 2013, because I felt not needing them anymore. Never before heard over w/d or any problem with AD...

Dec.2013 started slowly my problems: feeling bad without any reason, gain of 7 kg weight without changing my food habbit, outburst in tears and crying in the wirdest situations, outburst in anger for no reason, starting to wake up at 04:00am and could not sleep anymore, no more feelings of joy and happiness, fear of meeting people,running nose, getting really heavy thoughts of suicide not knowing where they come from, running thoughts not able to stop them, ...

• Moderator Emeritus

If you can't find the supplements in your town, you may be able to order them online.  There is a place called iHerb which ships them all over the world for a very reasonable cost.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

they shipped them even to my tiny country and the prices very even better than here plus it was a lot bigger packaging ;)

If I were you, I'd take 5 beads of the drug you were taking before and wait to see what happens.

Our brains need stability to heal. any kind of change goes against stability so it makes sense to stick with the drug your brain got used to...

best,

bubble 

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Administrator

Alto, yes I still have some Cymbalta left. If I am going to reinstatement, Do you know, if staying on the same substance would be safer, than to start with another AD, which will be easier to taper? Because the body, who is overeacting and alert, does not have to deal with new substance...is my idea, don't be sure, if I 'm right.

Yes, your reasoning is correct, better the devil you know than than one you don't!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I found Omega-3 in a store, but the price is much higher than Alto wrote in her post over Omega-3. I bought them anyway, so I can slowly start with them, but the following order, I will place at iHerb. Thanks

As you can read in my signature, I went off Cymbalta and Trittico in Oktober last year - Cold Turkey. I've been told by my doctor: you can quit anytime, no problem.

A few weeks, I did great, nothing really bad happened. In december 2013 the situation started to get worse. My mood started to change to grey and I had a few rough days with anger-outbursts and crying-sessions. I was told, that my depression was back and that I should probably take my meds again. What I didn't want to and all of a sudden, the bad feelings disappeared like fog in the sun. I was very happy and went on with life.

Sinds February, it has gotten even worse, a real nightmare! It seems, as if my brain is changing and gives me thoughts, that I don't want to think. It feels like a second person sits inside my head and tells me stuff and makes me very angry. So my agressevity and ouburst increased to 250 %. Is that really me???

At that moment, I started searching the web and found infos about withdrawl. It seemed to me, that I found a reason for my symptoms. I talked to my therapist about it. As you surely guess, there was no help...because withdrawl occurs within several days after quitting, when there are weeks or months between quitting and symptoms, it's not withdrawl.

Right now I have really heavy problems, which affect my whole life:

- running thoughts about the same issue, over and over again

- no more Feelings of Love for my husband or my children (I have been a Family Woman all my life)

- no mor feelings of joy and happiness

- crying attacks for really small events or even worse, for nothing at all

- heavy feelings of not beeing worth anything, the feeling of beeing a really bad person

- soziophobic = beeing afraid of meeting someone I know, because I don't want to talk to anybody. When they ask, how I'm dooing what shall

I say

- yelling ourburst at my kids and husband for no reason

- anxity of false behaviour with other people

- thoughts of suicide and at the same moment realizing that this is a " strange" thought, as if someone else is thinking it

- from 4 am I cannot sleep anymore

- gained 7 kilo of weight without changing my eating habbit

- intense thinking about the trauma caused by the mobbing and the effect, it had on my life. I lost my job and reputation. Even dreaming about it. This was in the beginning very heavy and faded away with the months working on it. Sinds february it is heavenly back...

When talking to my therapist, there's not really help. She's talking about depression again...but it feels completly diffrent. When I was depressiv, the world was grey, life was grey and without joy and I didn' t have any energy. But it didn't bother me at all. I felt, like nothing would make a change. And I didn't realize the thoughts i was thinking. It was more like sitting in a sh*tty situation and still don' t care about it.It didn't matter at all, nothing mattered at all.

Now my thinking is very clear and sharp. It even is the hardest part, that I realize the way I am thinking and reacting. It's like watching myself from a balcony and thinking: "this woman is absolutly crazy, how can you do, feel, act in such a strange way". Me thinking this and wanting to stop myself from hurting me and my lovedones and then, have to realize, not beeing able to stop my reactions...it makes me feel even more shameful, guilty, angry, dissappointed, worthless,...

That's why I'm here.

I was thinking about the things, that help me and the things, that will worsen the symptoms. I thought, I share it with you, maybe some things will work for you, too?

What are things, that help me:

- Yoga 1,5 hours /week, where only "this moment" is important. Reducing thinking to my body, just careing about myself

- Mantras

- even when I have pain, i go jogging at least once a week. In the beggining, i couldn't feel a diffrence, but after a while I realized, that after the workout, I feel more relax and a small amount of happiness is lurking through the clouds in my brain ⛅️ Astonishly, my pain will not be stronger after the work out!

- go out and walk. Beeing in nature is healing for my body and soul. No matter, what weather it is outside.

- beeing really sensitive to loud noises ( music, children screaming, TV,...) i can use earplugs...but mostly, i forget to use them, BEFORE the noise is making me crazy. I have to learn, to use them and not feeling ashamed about needing them

Take care ????

When I reinstate, how shall I do the steps? Would it be good, to take 5 beads a day for 3 days or better 5, due to giving time to the body, to get used to the beads? If no change, rise up the dosage to what level: 7 beads or 10?

Thank you for your answer and advise.

• Administrator

Galandriel,

I merged your new topic with your original topic.  Only one thread to a member in the Introductions and updates section.  Please post your questions and updates in this thread.  You might want to bookmark this your thread so you can always find it again.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Otherwise just delete my new topic for better understanding in this topic.

Sorry about the confusion.

• Administrator

When I reinstate, how shall I do the steps? Would it be good, to take 5 beads a day for 3 days or better 5, due to giving time to the body, to get used to the beads? If no change, rise up the dosage to what level: 7 beads or 10?

Thank you for your answer and advise.

I would take 5 beads as soon as possible. Do this for at least 4 days, it takes that long to register completely. See if this relieves symptoms. If not, you might take more. Stay in touch with us.

I'm feeling a bit better sinds Saturday.

Started with Omega 3 on 22 March and reinstated Cymbalta (5 Beads) on 23 March. Reinstatement even though I was feeling better, because of my experience with the windows-and-waves-thing.

Shall I stay on the 5 beads or take a higher dose? I'm really afraid to go through another wave, because the last one was so bad.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would stay with the 5 beads for now, it is great that you are feeling better  and

may not have to increase the dose.  I'm glad things are looking up for you. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I have arthralgia in my left hip, since mid December last year. The MRI didn't show anything wrong. The only thing the orthopaedic surgeon sees,that the mucosa inside the hip is to thick, which means it is inflamed. I was wondering, if this could possibly also be related to w/d, like other muscle pain?

• Administrator

If you're more sedentary than usual, that could be contributing to hip inflammation.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've seen all kinds of weird things happen in withdrawal--see the last comment I posted in Eternal Optimist's thread. Complaints of problems with inflammation seem to be fairly common.

That said, you can never assume withdrawal is the cause of everything, because you can miss important health problems that way. Always a good idea to get a medical check of anything you're concerned about.

How's it going with the 5 beads?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I still do my normal stuff: walking with the kids, geocaching, yoga, slow jogging - just the things, that work good with the pain not getting heavier. No, not everything is due to w/d, but if the exams and MRI don't show nothing wrong-the thought just passed my head

The five beads did give some relief with the "brain-stuff", not really with the physical pains.But I can do much better with the pain, than with the weird things happen in my head. I found, that in the evenings things went bader - because of what I've read here, I increased my beads to 2x5 beads...so far I found, it has helped me be more stabil during family life. Fatigue is a bit higher...

...but overall I can cope with w/d much better, 'cos my thoughts slowed down and when running-thoughts and anxity appear, I'm more able to calm myself down with Yoga-Breathing.

I know, it can change fast, but right now I enjoy the relief...

Wishing you all a happy,sunny day

• Administrator

Give the 10 beads some time. It may take months for your nervous system to settle down.

Thanks for your help, I will give my body and head some time to relax and get stabilized, before I think about tapering.

After all, I've read in the Forum, Patience seems to be very important with w/d...so I'm working on that one. Patience isn' t really one of my strong sides...

A short update:

Still having trouble with getting a whole night full of sleep - but it doesn't stop me from working and getting family-life done. Fatique is higher in the afternoon.

What changed most, since reinstating Cymbalta is, that suicidal thoughts are gone - what a relief! ????

Agressivity and the outburst are much better, showing only when stresslevel raises. Crying outburst are gone. The thoughts of envy are much smaller than weeks ago. Running thoughts pop up, but i am able to "switch channel". Lovefeelings for my husband and children raise a little bit and then disappear again-but there here again, so that gives me strength to carry on.

Changing moods within the day is still walking along with me, but I find the waves within aren't as high and low, as they were. The stormy weather ???? seems to calm down a bit and there's even a day that I consider " normal".

A pattern I can see in the last weeks: what really rises syptoms is stress, but what my body and brain consider as "stress" isn't always the same, myself would consider stressfull...so it isn't really "a peace of cake " to avoid stress...

Wish you all strength and force within your journey

• Administrator

Galandriel, it sounds like your system is still settling down, but reinstatement is helping.

You may want to see Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

• 1 month later...

First days in May it all seemed to crawl back at me: feeling worthless, anxity level rised high, sucidal thoughts and just feeling overwhelmed by anything, crying spells. First I couldn't figure out, what was wrong, but then i realised i skipped a dose ( maybe two) because of severe stress at home. Isn't that a stupid thing to do??!?

In someone else's thread i read, that 4-5 days after forgetting a dose wd hits bad, gets higher until round day 10 peak is reached and slowly things begin to get better. I surely can relay to that!

The three last days life is not so kind. My feelings are struggeling with depressive thoughts, even though my head knows, that it's neuro-emotion. I just wish, my head would take control...not my feelings. But I think this is because I' m expecting my menstruation these days...Seems to rise wd symtoms.

So i got a tablet-dispenser...it will hopefully keep me from forgetting a pill.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello again,

I had to read from the beginning of your thread to remind myself of your journey :) 

It seems that even that far out (after 6 months) reinstating a tiny amount of that drug has relieved your withdrawal. That was really great to here. I reinstated 45 days after and it took me some 4 months to stop feeling like a zombie. Now almost 8 months into the process, I'm at maybe 80 % of what I was when I stopped taking medication...

Skipping the doses happens to all of us from time to time unfortunately. And you are doing the right thing: resuming the previous schedule and waiting for this little bump to settle. It might take some time and pre-menstrual period is also making things worse for me so I'm sure you will soon continue to recover. Also taking a measure to prevent this from happening in the future. Very happy for your progress.

How is that hip inflammation pain that you wrote about some months ago? 

all the best,

bubble