Dinaj son Direct switch from Celexa to Prozac for my teen

DinaJ

Hi everyone,

I am frantically looking for some advice and stumbled on this forum.   My 16 yr. old son has slowly tapered up to 40 mgs. of Celexa in the past 4 mos.  It took a long time because it made him very nauseated.  He kept on, though, because he wanted relief from his depression/anxiety. (Newly diagnosed in December and this is the first med we have tried.)  It's not working at all, so the pdoc is switching him directly to 10 mgs. of Prozac.  No tapering.  I am concerned because this is his last 6 weeks of school and he can't afford to miss any days being ill from withdrawal.  Has anyone ever heard of doing a bridge like this when on 40 mgs. still?  I see a lot of comments about going from 20 mgs. to 20 of Prozac. 

I called her yesterday and she got really angry with me and said I needed to let her be the Dr.  My concern is that she doesn't really recognize withdrawal as a real thing.  She also didn't believe my son had side effects getting on the Celexa.  She said he must have had a stomach bug.  I know, I need a new pdoc.  I am searching for one, but in the meantime she is saying make the direct switch or find a new Dr. :(

Any help is appreciated.

• Administrator

Welcome, DinaJ.

There are several Oregon doctors on our list, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

In my opinion, getting adverse reactions from taking an antidepressant means you shouldn't be taking it. Given your son is 16, he shouldn't be on Celexa at all. And he's on a fairly hefty dose, too.

Because switching to another drug always increases the risk of adverse withdrawal effects, to go off a drug, we recommend trying a direct taper first.

Celexa comes in liquid form, which makes tapering easier. See our topic about tapering Celexa here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/

See our topic about switching to Prozac here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DinaJ,

Have you or your son thought about counseling as a method to deal with the anxiety/depression.  If I were you, I would be looking at finding healthier ways for your son to deal with these emotions.  I agree with Alto that that no 16 year old should be on these substances, they don't cure anything, only mask symptoms and prevent people from learning valuable life skills for managing life.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the positions above. I know your trying to find a new doc, alto has provided some recommendations. Can you put off the switch or any other changes until he finishes school. Hopefully you will have the new dr by then and can talk through what next

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Did your son diagnose himself with anxiety and depression? Does he believe the drugs are what he needs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.