Barron: Off Cymbalta cold turkey

Barron

I decided to stop taking 30 mg/ day of Cymbalta that I had been taking for approx 6 years. I do not want to be on medicine. I was diagnosed with pneumonia so figured I was going to be in bed for several weeks and feel bad any way, it was as good of a time as any. Now, six weeks later, the withdrawal symptoms are worse. The zaps, unclear thinking, not being able to complete a sentence because I can't find the word, nausea, headaches, fatigue, crying and overall feeling bad. I feel like I have spent a good amount of time of of the medicine that I don't want to go back on it to ween off, however I am wondering if there is an end in site. I read about supplements assisting so I starting taking Vit D and fish oil today but I know that will take time. Emotionally I am ok. Just holding on one day at a time to get through this. Does anyone have any other suggestions to help? Thank you very much.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Barron,

I know you don't want to hear this, but reinstating a small amount of Cymbalta, perhaps 5-10 mg., may be your best bet for avoiding years of miserable withdrawal symptoms. Here's our topic on reinstatement:  About Reinstating  After six weeks it's somewhat chancy--you might have a bad reaction--but if I were in your place I'd try it. We have a current member who cold turkeyed nearly a year and a half ago, and she's in agony.  You might want to read this:  Cymbaltawithrawal5600 Introduction  Cymbalta is a really nasty drug, combining a Selective Serotoninn Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI) with a  Serotonin Neopeniphrine Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI), a drug cocktail in one convenient capsule.

You're welcome to look through the Symptoms and self-care section for some non-drug tips that help a bit, but I can tell you from my own experience in tapering off Lexapro too fast that very little helps except a lot of time, 30-31 months in my case, and I think I got off easy.

When you have a moment, please put your drug history in your signature, like so: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of solid information and friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

A P.S.: You may have noticed that your post was moved to the Intro section. This is where comments and questions about yourself and your withdrawal journey should go. Please continue to post here by clicking on the Reply button. The Symptoms and Tapering forums are for topics of general interest, sort of like a shelf of reference books. No harm done; just so you know.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Barron and welcome.

I'm sorry you are still suffering from withdrawal from cymbalta, but its not surprising really,  its never a good idea to stop taking these medications without tapering them.  Our brain and nervous system become accustomed to functioning with this chemical, and so have adapted, when the drug is suddenly withdrawn, its like ripping out a support and it can effect many body systems and for some people, last a very long time.  You may be one of the lucky ones, but if I were you, I would consider reinstating a small dose and then doing a proper slow, safe taper.

Please read the links which Jemima provided, they will explain it in more detail, I would hate to see someone suffer for a long time, when it can be avoided.  The longer you leave it to reinstate, the less chance there is of it working.

I was too late to reinstate after my too fast taper from Lexapro several years ago and I'm still suffering now.

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide,  we will support you no matter what.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you so much for the feedback. Sometimes we have to hear things we don't want to hear. I truly appreciate the time it took for you to respond. I have started tasking 10-15 little beads again. Symptoms are a bit better. I am just trying to hold on until I can get back to the dr. Thank you again for caring.

• Administrator

Welcome, Barron.

You may find that 15 beads is all you need to stave off withdrawal symptoms. Please try to take the same amount at the same time every day. Regularity is important to establish stability.

After you stabilize for a month or so, you will be able to very gradually reduce by a bead at a time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Wow, after a rough week of taking 10 beads every day, the brain zaps are gone. Now to deal with everything else. It's great to see an improvement. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Couldn't have done it without you all. Thank you.

• Administrator

Very good to hear.

Do you have other withdrawal symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Still have some headaches, flu like symptoms that come and go, diaherra and I am ready to fight anyone. I am a 52 year old professional woman that has never been in a fight but now look out! LOL. Going back to the dr on the 23rd. Hopefully she can help me out.

• Administrator

It may take a while for your nervous system to settle down. It's had a big shock.

Don't count on your doctor -- few have a clue about withdrawal. If she does, please let us know.

I sure will. I strongly believe they don't know much, that's why they call it "practicing" medicine. I work for a company that manages emergency departments in hospitals. It's pretty rare to find a doc that doesn't have some drug, alcohol or sex issue.

• Administrator

:)

Try to see your doctor ASAP.