Recommended books on antidepressant tapering and withdrawal

Punarbhava

• Administrator

Dr. Glenmullen's basic taper is faster than what we recommend here, but he does caution to adjust the schedule to individual tolerance here and there throughout the book. That is why he spends so many pages on withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2013 at 10:32 AM, hippopotamus said:

Has anyone ever thought of making a book in which the most important info from sources like this forum about withdrawal is bundled?

I think that it could be an excellent help for people who want to withdraw. Any thoughts on this?

I have. And here it is seven years later.I have. And here it is seven years later.

1980s: First diagnosed with depression. Treated with a tricyclic. 1988: Switched to Prozac 20 mg.  1990s to 2010: On and off Prozac. Increased dose led to side effects. 2011: Put on Zyprexa. 2011: Work burnout and breakdown. Hospitalized for suicidal depression. Switched to Seroquel. Switched to Celexa 40 mg and lithium 300 mg. 2019: Stopped Seroquel. 

2020 July: Decreased Celexa to 30 mg in attempt to alleviate sexual dysfunction. Worked somewhat.

2020 August: Decreased Celexa to 20 mg. Sexual function improved but w/d effects started. 

2020 September: Maintaining Celexa at 20 mg. Experiencing w/d effects - fatigue, dysphoria, mood instability

2020 September 13: Increased Celexa to 30 mg due to w/d effects. Still on lithium 300 mg/day.

2020 October 3: Reduced Celexa to 27 mg. Started taper. 10% per month as recommended.

2020 October 18: Reduced to 24 mg.

2020 December 4: Reduced to 21 mg.

2020 December 23: Reduced to 20 mg (spacing out taper intervals due to persistent w/d effects)

2021 September 23: Several reductions over the past 9 months to 7.0 mg. Stressful life circumstances led me to feeling very depressed with suicidal feelings, so upped to the dose to 10 mg until I feel better. 

On 7/28/2016 at 4:06 AM, nz11 said:

Well i had Glenmullen's book 'antidepressant solution 'on my shelf for about 2 yrs now and only started reading it today.

i guess its just been sitting there cos i thought oh it will just be the same old stuff i have read before.

Well i really rec this book. As usual i am turning it into another  heavily highlighted book. Im now half way through it. Yes there are a lot of things i have read before but that is totally ok to be reminded again.

However im finding some gold im reading some things i had never heard before and will be useful to know so im finding it very informative.

Too bad about the unfortunate title though.

Sadly Glenmullen like Healy says he prescribes ssris. Gee i really feel disappointed when i read of those admissions.

That's why i put Breggin at the number one spot on my heroes list and number two is Brogan. Both these people say 'I don't prescribe'.

I wonder if Lucire prescribes?

Sometimes prescription is necessary which is why I like Glennmullen and Healy. They are competent psychiatrists who do what is needed. I’m afraid Breggin is too extreme for my taste. I would not send anyone to him for treatment. I’ve seen too many people suffer terribly because of antipsychiatry opposition to all medications. Sometimes meds are called for, especially with schizophrenia.

1980s: First diagnosed with depression. Treated with a tricyclic. 1988: Switched to Prozac 20 mg.  1990s to 2010: On and off Prozac. Increased dose led to side effects. 2011: Put on Zyprexa. 2011: Work burnout and breakdown. Hospitalized for suicidal depression. Switched to Seroquel. Switched to Celexa 40 mg and lithium 300 mg. 2019: Stopped Seroquel. 

2020 July: Decreased Celexa to 30 mg in attempt to alleviate sexual dysfunction. Worked somewhat.

2020 August: Decreased Celexa to 20 mg. Sexual function improved but w/d effects started. 

2020 September: Maintaining Celexa at 20 mg. Experiencing w/d effects - fatigue, dysphoria, mood instability

2020 September 13: Increased Celexa to 30 mg due to w/d effects. Still on lithium 300 mg/day.

2020 October 3: Reduced Celexa to 27 mg. Started taper. 10% per month as recommended.

2020 December 23: Reduced to 20 mg (spacing out taper intervals due to persistent w/d effects)

2021 September 23: Several reductions over the past 9 months to 7.0 mg. Stressful life circumstances led me to feeling very depressed with suicidal feelings, so upped to the dose to 10 mg until I feel better. 

• 9 months later...

Is there nothing more recent on antidepressant withdrawal. Is this forum the only updated source?

• Altostrata changed the title to Recommended books on antidepressant tapering and withdrawal

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy