SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Paresthesia: pins & needles, numbness, tingling, burning sensations aka neuropathy

angie007

Yes, this does get better with time. At least in my case it has. It still flares up sometimes, but I would say that most days either it is not there, or it's so subtle that I don't notice it at all.

Approximately 18 years on Effexor. Tapered for more than two years. Totally off of Effexor since late Oct. 2010.

Tom, Georgia, Shanti and Alex -

Well thank you for letting me know this. It is such an obnoxious thing and primarily at night they go numb, but it has worsened with the taper.

I am so glad to hear that symptoms subside over time - thank you for letting me know your experiences.

xxxx

• 6 months later...

I've been trying some new supplements. They are on the riskier end since they are formulations with lots of ingredients.

However, since I started this bad stretch, in mid February, I've experienced skeletal muscular pains, zaps, twitches. They are mostly in the limbs and hands and feet but also occur in the trunk and random places under the skin... They do not occur on my face or zap my brain. So these zaps, pains, pins/needles predate the current supplements.

There may be other threads on this topic or omethng similar, but I couldn't find one promptly.

Also, one of the reasons I've been trying to minimize blood draws is because a big "zap point" is my elbow pocket, maybe due to 20+ draws in the last 2-3 months. yet... I dunno... I know in drug studies blood is often drawn 24 times a day everyday for the length of the study...

Anyway, anyone else had flare ups like this?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

I had those electrical-like tingling pains in my hands and wrists for a while. At times, I could feel them shoot through.

I believe acupuncture helped those.

I think they're classic Lhermitte's sign.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don't believe there's any question that hunching over the computer is bad for your back!

Please do try the chiro, it can save you a lot of suffering. Go to a good one, not a quack.

Just saw this message from awhile back and had to throw my OH YES! in. Posture at computer and while driving can flare my neck and back pain in minutes. Positioning of computer screen, chair height, steering wheel can help also to achieve the most ergonomic position.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 9 months later...

It seems to be getting worse. This is what used to happend when I would start an AD. I am off the AD. Is is the what goes up must come down? I'm just so sick of it. I guess these are the physical symptoms of withdrawl and I hate them.

Lexapro 20 mg.since Aug 2009

Lamotrigine -100 mg. sept. 2009

Seroquel-50 mg.

down from 100 for 6 months.

Been going off and on lexapro since October 2012

off and on Lamotrigine since October 2012.

Incidentally, massive headaches and monthly vomiting has ceased

since October 2012.

So right now no lexapro since Dec. 28th after only taking 15 tables from Nov.12-to Dec.28,2012.

No lamotrigine since mid October 2012.

50 MG. seroquel at bedtime since June 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I'm not sure if there was already a topic started on numbness but I couldn't locate it so thought I'd ask here. Off meds for about 6 months after 10 years and my latest symptom is waking up with my left hand numb. Much of it goes away immediately except for from the pinky all the way down to the wrist which never goes away. My neck hurt when it started about a week ago so I thought it was a pinched nerve but now my neck is better but my hand is not. Dad has fibromyalsia so I'm a bit scared that this is permanent but was HOPING it was yet another withdrawal symptom that would go away. I am a musician so this is not good. Any answers would be much appreciated. As always, thank you.

• Administrator

If you're sleeping on you hand and then, during the day, leaning on it (while using the computer for example), you might get some numbness.

Try stretching and massaging your hand, wrist, and arm, and be mindful of any habits you might have that are reducing circulation to that hand.

How do I know this? I've had similar symptoms myself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LostaDecade,

I'm sorry you're experiencing such distressing symptoms.

I had a similar experience except my issue was with a constantly twitching thumb. Being a panic-merchant, I did all kinds of research, took all kinds of supplements but it wouldn't go away.

Eventually I saw a doctor who said that in 95% of cases it's benign, there's no known cause and it goes away by itself. So I stopped worrying about it and within a few weeks it was gone. In my case, there was no neck pain or anything else to indicate I had a pinched nerve. But obviously that's what it was in the end.

I'm sure you've Googled everywhere but here's a link anyway:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003206.htm

I think the fact that you previously had neck pain is a good sign - it suggests that the problem could in fact be pinched nerve. Just because the neck isn't still hurting doesn't mean the nerve has healed yet.

I hope it gets better soon.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Lost,

What is your medication history?

Numbness/tingling/'asleep feeling' in extremeties, especially on the left side is very common wth benzos. My left hand lost a lot of fine sensitivity after a rapid bentox detox. This particular benzo symptom has lasted me a long time.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

If the area of numbness is the entire suface of the pinkie [including the pinkie side of the ring finger, but not the other side], and the numbness is consistantly located there, something could be disturbing your ulnar nerve. It is responsible for skin sensation in that area. I believe pressure at the elbow, as Altostrata suggests, is a common cause.

Aweigh

72 years old, no history of AD meds. Single dose of Ativan ramped up to 6-8 mg/day (!) for 7 years, initial Rx for insomnia. Summer of 2012 I learned about IW sx and began the change to 3X day dosing, finishing in October. Big improvement in sx. I also take opiate pain meds.

Finally got under way with a hybrid [wet/dry] daily cut taper in Dec. 2012, at 0.0125 mg/day reduction. I was able to taper down from 8 mg/d to 4 mg/d in 2 years at that rate, interrupted by several medical adventures (heart block, wrist fracture, endocrine problem). I'm currently [9/2021] stable at 4 mg/d and plan to start a micro-taper at an initial reduction rate of 0.035 mg/d. Now (10/2023) at 1.75 mg/day, I'm getting what I think are some w/d sx. so maybe hold for a while.

My taper method, which has gone through several iterations, is linked here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5037-jeromes-wetdry-taper-revised/?hl=jerome. At the moment, I'm not using a solution, but rather dealing with dry 0.5 mg tablets.

• Administrator

I had various symptoms in my hands, wrists, arms, and back. Hunching over a computer on top of withdrawal-related hypersensitivity was the culprit.

I found chiropractic treatments and acupuncture to be very helpful.

Thanks so much, all! As with the horrid might sweats, brain zaps etc., etc., hoping it will go away. I, to, believe it could be a pinched ulnar nerve. Time will tell!

A few months into withdrawal, I started getting shooting pains down my arms and numb finger tips.

Im not sure if it was a coincidence, but it seemed that taking magnesium helped with it. (I feel like magnesium was somewhat magic for me, as it took away a lot of distressing symptoms... my hands and neck were also clenching painfully out of the blue.)

Some of these physical symptoms are quite scary- as if the general awful emotions/insomnia/what-have-you aren't enough to deal with!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Scary, indeed, but so nice to have my brain back. My left hand is better but every night I wake up and now both my pinky sides are numb. I know it had in part to do with a habit of sleeping with my hands over my head though I never had a problem with it before I went if the meds. Magnesium - have you read about people putting a bar of hotel soap at the foot of their bed to get rod of leg cramps? Sounds silly but mom did it and her legs no longer cramp! Whatever works! :-)

• 11 months later...

I know most of us have suffered or still are having anxiety, insomnia, depression, brain fog and such.  My symptoms seem to be shifting.  Fortunately my anxiety and depression have lessened greatly, but my physical symptoms have morphed and are worse in some ways.

My previous uncomfortable tension in gut and heart area has become a stronger nerve pain in abdomen, and legs.   It does not seem to be muscular, but nerve related.  I've had sparkly electrical nerve pulses shooting down my legs.  It seems similar to a type of seizure. The abdominal pain is significant.  It will last for hours or come and go over a period of days, then disappear altogether for days.  I can experience this without much or any emotional anxiety.

Does anyone have these strong nerve symptoms?   Have your symptoms morphed and changed over time?

I fear I have some secondary ailment causing this, or that my brain was damaged beyond recovery.  I have an appointment with a neurologist, but since doctors don't recognize our syndrome, I fear this doctor will just tag some disease on me or want me to 'try' Neurontin or something which could damage my brain further.    Could all this just be a stage of recovery?  Thanks for any comments.

2002? zoloft.  Start of synthroid unknown.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

2003? switched to effexor XL 75 mg. May 2012 began taper

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

Sept 2012 depression off and on, increasing. Tried tryptophan and acupuncture

Dec 2012 severe anxiety began

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 stopped saffron due to slow heart and palpitations - did not help.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

This is a hard one, Janie. I think all of us experience weird symptoms and do not know what causes them. It is probably good that you go see the doc and get it checked out anyway. Maybe someone else will chime in....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I agree with CW, people's experiences are so similar and yet so personally unique. For me, personally, physical symptoms tend to be aches -  headache/stomachache/muscle ache. I have not experiences any of the jolts to my legs that you describe.

One thing to remember, just because a doctor suggests a medication doesn't mean you have to take it. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

Thanks for your input. If no one else has this, I will proceed with getting checked out.  I would like to hear what others experience as physical symptoms.

2002? switched to paxil  - Developed restless leg syndrome. stopped all caffeine which helped for many years.

July 2012 stopped all effexor . Usual WD symptoms, lost excess weight, had more energy. RLS stopped immediately!

February 2013 used magnolia bark for anxiety - helped but developed central sleep apnea, so I stopped it

by April 2013- stopped tryptophan, using saffron herb successfully and started HRT

June 2013 doctor noticed bradycardia. I tried very small dose cytomel sev days for hypothyroidism but seemed to strain my heart.

July 2013 Increased synthroid from 50mg to 75mg. depression and anxiety improved. Heart problems continue.

September & October 2013 - 2 month course of antibiotic for possbile lyme disease - mood and anxiety improved further.  Heart pvc's flair up at times. 

Janie

Have you gone to the symptoms forum and used the search box on that page? My guess is that is where you'll find more stories. I don't know how to add a link yet. Sorry.

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

I also experience the electrical pulses in my legs and feet and have for months, often for long periods of time. Very annoying and unsettling, though not painful per se, like when I get headaches. These pulses are faintly visible to me when I sit in a certain way, as I can see my foot make small "jumps". Or if I'm standing still and hair falls in front of my eyes, I can see by the movement of the hair that my head is making these small, rapid movements as well. Distressing, to say the least.

-

i'm sorry Hexal you are feeling all that.  Does sound annoying and I can fully relate to how disturbing it is.   I think it will just take lots time for our bodies to heal and re-balance and all these nasty sensations are how the brain and body heal.  These symptoms can be the same to many other conditions or diseases, so you just wonder if ALL of it is the withdrawal syndrome, or some of it is something else you should get checked out. It would be dangerous to just assume every pain and problem is withdrawal and let something go unchecked.  With our exaggerated anxiety, you can't help but get freaked out and wonder what to do. At least that is what I've been going through.

Well I went to a neurologist who seemed to acknowledge withdrawal syndrome but did not comment either way about protracted withdrawal. Did a small series of super easy tests (touch nose, knee and arm taps and foot strokes) which i passed. Was told that if I have had pains and tingles for over a year but can still pass the tests after all that time of symptoms, then there is nothing serious happening. I was relieved, but should have asked, been more specific in my concern that aside from anxiety symptoms of the past year, new ones seem more severe and could be a secondary ailment.  Doc also confirmed that the off and on again symptoms is the way brains heal.

Since I have not had those bad new pains lately, I'm hopeful it was just a stage, a morph of withdrawal symptoms and I will continue to improve overall.    If they come back and persist, I could always go back again and ask for more tests.

In fact I have been doing very well, but with new stresses in my job I feel it will create a roadblock to recovery.  It does seem my brain has rebuilt receptors enough (or whatever) that my anxiety is greatly reduced and physical symptoms a much lower grade. I am so happy and grateful.  I am still extremely fragile and have trouble coping with stress and worry, and staying upbeat enough to function as a normal person.  But the overall suffering is greatly reduced. If only I could stay away from bad stressors, but that is impossible with my job and family health situations.

I will check the symptom search as you suggest mattinsmom. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I am almost currently into my 26th month of a cold turkey Lexapro withdrawal and am having a bad wave of pins and needles and numbness. Just seeking some reassurance on others that have struggled with this for so long...At present I am getting numbness on the left side of my face on and off  - I can have weeks without it and then it comes back again. I also get a similiar feeling on my left forarm but it also feels tingly. I also get a big patch of pins and needles on my left shoulder blade, this also at times feels numb. This has all come on since lex withdrawal, I have had a brain MRI to rule out MS, as well as blood tests to check for vitamin deficiency and a neck xray to rule out any problems - all have come back negative. Would love to hear from anyone with similar issues.

2006 - 2011 20mg Lexapro ( Diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder/Postnatal depression after childbirth. Symptoms only emerged after having Implanon hormonal implant put in).

2011 - CT off Lexapro (Did not know about withdrawal and developed crippling anxiety/panic attacks plus a host of other symptoms)

Oct 2011 - March 2012 - Diagnosed with panic disorder and was reinstated back onto 20mg Lexapro and .5mg Xanax. Took Xanax several times over a 2 week period and stopped.

Feb 2012 - April 2012 - Weekly drops of Lexapro and CT.

Protacted Withdrawal ever since. 0-18 months "severe" psychological hell. Currently at 26months and have left sided paresthesia. Numbness/tightness/burning left side of face. Pins and needles left shoulder blade. Hot patches/electric zaps on lower legs, Eye twitch. Nerve pain in back and crawling feeling on left forearm.

I used to have this too but on my fingers.

Read my threads, maybe you can get an idea on how to treat yourself. :) Everyone is different so you know better what to do.

• Dropped Cymbalta 30mg Nov. 2013
  • Suffered what appeared to be withdrawal (PSSD, anger, emotional numbness)
  • Begun tapering from 30mg on 16/2/2014 by counting beads

i've been dealing with this lately too. i was thinking it was withdrawal but now it seems to be getting worse and appears to be affected by my posture and how i sleep so i'm in the process of looking for a doc to rule things out. i had a numbing of the face happen the other day which reminded me of when i would get numbing from migraines, so withdrawals or a migraine, its definitely neurological. i hope its wd and will go away... :)

on 37.5 - 50mg zoloft/sertraline for GAD from 3/1996 to 4/2013 (17 years) 

too fast taper from 1/13-4/13

• Moderator Emeritus

I am almost currently into my 26th month of a cold turkey Lexapro withdrawal and am having a bad wave of pins and needles and numbness. Just seeking some reassurance on others that have struggled with this for so long...At present I am getting numbness on the left side of my face on and off  - I can have weeks without it and then it comes back again. I also get a similiar feeling on my left forarm but it also feels tingly. I also get a big patch of pins and needles on my left shoulder blade, this also at times feels numb. This has all come on since lex withdrawal, I have had a brain MRI to rule out MS, as well as blood tests to check for vitamin deficiency and a neck xray to rule out any problems - all have come back negative. Would love to hear from anyone with similar issues.

I've had numbness, pins and needles/pain in my right heel for about 2 months.  It started suddenly for no reason.  Was quite bad for a while and the pain would occur when I walked or held my foot in various positions.  Its slowly getting better, there is only slight pain now and the numbness has decreased.  I found that light stretching and massage of the area helped at times.

These symptoms are common in withdrawal and if tests have ruled out other causes, then there is nothing to worry about, they will pass.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou everyone for your replies. Pokeshaw I believe I have already put in an Introduction about myself but have now also added a signature. Trouper I have also found that it is affected by posture. Have you had any luck finding a dr? Petu I have been thinking about trying accupuncture or an osteopath to try and relieve the sensations, but I struggle to explain my situation - I have told dr's before and I just get the puzzled/disblief look. Its so hard to keep telling myself that this is still withdrawal, my anxiety levels at the moment are really high. When I get the sensations I start to panic and I think it exacberates them.

2006 - 2011 20mg Lexapro ( Diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder/Postnatal depression after childbirth. Symptoms only emerged after having Implanon hormonal implant put in).

2011 - CT off Lexapro (Did not know about withdrawal and developed crippling anxiety/panic attacks plus a host of other symptoms)

Oct 2011 - March 2012 - Diagnosed with panic disorder and was reinstated back onto 20mg Lexapro and .5mg Xanax. Took Xanax several times over a 2 week period and stopped.

Protacted Withdrawal ever since. 0-18 months "severe" psychological hell. Currently at 26months and have left sided paresthesia. Numbness/tightness/burning left side of face. Pins and needles left shoulder blade. Hot patches/electric zaps on lower legs, Eye twitch. Nerve pain in back and crawling feeling on left forearm.

I'm experiencing pins and needles as well, it comes in waves. I have to be very careful not to let myself worry and tell myself it's yet another symptom of withdrawal.

01/2006 Put on Prozac for anxiety and panic attacks 08/2008 Came off Zoloft after tapering don't remember taper, lost weight, felt like had cold constantly, very panicky, pain everywhere (misdiagnosed fibromyalgia), head funny.05/2010 put back on Zoloft03/2012 came completely off Zoloft followed Dr standard taper- no appetite, lost weight (0.5 stone), flu-like feelings constantly, pain everywhere, head funny, nausea, very panicky, very strong emotions etc Lost 1 stone.04/2013 improving. actually put on some weight and hungry most of the time. Still burning pain joints, stomach upset, headache/feel faint and emotions very strong. Chest very painful too.01/2014 improving still. Gained weight!! Still hungry. Still headache/feel faint and strong emotions and chest/shoulder muscles painful. Periods irregular and very painful. Very tired. Joints burn only if eat refined sugars. Started eating fruits again.03/2014 2 years off. Now intolerances developed to nuts and soya. Permanently hungry, Emotions strong but started healing psychological reasons I was put on antidepressants with therapist. Shoulder pain bad, heady often, very tired.06/2014 flu-like symptoms returned, many intolerances, stomach painful, skin crawling feeling, muscles painful, very emotional. :-((

09/2016 over 4.5 years off, no real changes in symptoms, still much pain, headiness, heart weird, digestion bad, hormones unbalanced, nausea yet very hungry, tired, flu like symptoms etc etc.

<p>taking - vit C, probiotics and digestive enzymesI have Aspergers Syndrome.

• Administrator

I'm right-handed and I got painful tingling early on in withdrawal in my right arm and shoulder (as well as other places) from spending too time using the mouse and typing on the computer.

Acupuncture and chiro helped, but stretching and getting exercise that wasn't sitting at the computer helped more.

• 4 weeks later...

For me, sharp pins and needling pains have been my major suffers from both lex and withdrawal of it. Often times I feel I am close to have a panic attack or heart attack when the pain is so severe. The pain is always on head, neck, shoulder and can get to upper back. Paied with all the above is the intolerable jaw pain.

Sometimes I feel a very uncomfortable sensation of numbness and pressure on head, face, nose etc instead of pain.

I have been on those ever since tapered down to 2 mg 7/13 they stayed with me 24/7 since. Interesting thing is my thinking is not impacted by pain but numbness can affect my thinking ability.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi, missmellie, what were the results of your vitamin b 12 tests? I know pins and needles sensations are mentioned under low levels. If you have anxiety/ depression issues along with the p& n and your b 12 levels are under 300 you may have a deficiency. I'd love to know your b 12 levels. Mine are under 300 and I have some other odd symptoms, too!

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

Hmm, why do you think it's associated with VB level, spectio? My B level is too high, 1205 for normal range of 220-960 and I have the worst needling and pin everyday dorm the time I take lex and last for many hours. Im very curious to know the source of the relationship between The two. Thanks!

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

I have had my B12 levels checked and they were fine. I even went to a chiropractor who insisted that I was B12 deficient and told me to buy a vitamin B12 spray, I did this and it made my symptoms worse. Still unsure as to what is causing this or if it is still withdrawal.

Missmellie, I'm glad you vb is normal. As my doc said high vb can cause tingling/ numb sensation which I was wondering if that is what caused my pin and needling. So it seems still th WD as three of us all have it with low vb, normal vb and high vb. I though it only associated with lex, but now it seems other Ssri can have it too.

I also found yago, breathing helps the most, while alcupuncture/light massage definitely help too. If your doc is Chinese, I am happy to help with an explanation. My Chinese doc can stop the needling pain quickly with light massage, although it comes back every time immediately after I take the dose.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

• 1 month later...

Nerve damage which can be caused by toxins.

I have most of the symptoms...great!

Has anyone ever come across this?

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

I have had severe neuropathy in both legs for over six years. I've had many back surgeries for it, none of which worked. I am now seriously thinking that all along it was the Paxil, NOT anything related to my back.

The only way I will know for sure, is when I'm done tapering, if it goes away.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed name

Cberg

15 years of panic disorder back in the 1970's. Under pretty good control now.

Started Paxil two years ago for nightmares and depression after many eye and back surgeries

Started slow taper two years ago

Started at 15 mg. now down to 2.35 mg.

Symptoms during w/d included severe nausea in the morning, headaches, pulsating/throbbing in back of head

lightheadedness, depersonalization, lack of ambition or motivation to do anything

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy