☼ Wilma78: mirtazapine abrupt withdrawal due health problems

wilma78

That particular fast episode was about 16 hours after taking the mirtazapine. Today at the same time (16hours) later I felt shakey and odd again but I couldn't check my heart rate at the time but I don't think it elevated all that much. I came over all weird again 18 hours after taking the mirtazapine as I have the last 3 days... my head just feels tight and mushy like... makes me feel detached. Tonight I am a tadd concerned as my muscles are seizing again like I had when I neeeded to cut the medication... mainly my hands so not sure if this is a withdrawal thing.

Ps. Yes I think my heart rate had risen since going back up to 3.75mg. I took my mirtazapine about an hour ago and have been in bed not dobe anything and my heart rate is 80? I feel calm though.

Started mirtazapine on 29th jan 2014 dosages:

7.5mg for 17 days then

15mg for 12 weeks awful reaction to this drug. Sudden cold turkey stopping as suggested by gp however in May 2014 're started at 3.75mg and did very very slow taper until September 2015 and I am now drug free and in recovery ????

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wilma78

• Altostrata

• Petunia

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd try 3.5mg mirtazapine. Side effects are usually dosage-related. Lower dosage, lower side effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Please put all your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results here in your topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I put all my drugs into the drug checker and they have no interactions.

It was suggested to me I try night nurse to help sleep... has anyone heard of this? I did pop the ingredients into the drug checker and it came up warning... but I had to imput them separately rather than night nurse as a whole.

7.5mg for 17 days then

15mg for 12 weeks awful reaction to this drug. Sudden cold turkey stopping as suggested by gp however in May 2014 're started at 3.75mg and did very very slow taper until September 2015 and I am now drug free and in recovery ????

Ps alto I have been on 3.75mg since last monday so 7 nights now as suggested... today I have been less anxious but have had more physical symptoms such as dizziness, numb face lips and torso on and off, seized hands, fuzzy tight head etc. On a good note I actually laughed a bit today waaahooooo :-)

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

Did you also take piriton, Metaclopramide, Buscopan, Codydramol, Adrenalin pens, or Prednisolone when these symptoms started?

No not had any of the above when these started. I have had codyramol on and off but not for at least 2 weeks. I have kept meds minimal as possible.

7.5mg for 17 days then

Ps. My pulse has been ok ish today as well

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

It sounds like perhaps the high heart rate was a transient withdrawal symptom. Or it might be a paradoxical reaction, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6616-abriton-help-with-tapering-tiny-doses-of-mirtazapine/

My feeling is maybe 3.75 might be too much for you. I might try 3.50mg if I were you.

I was wondering that. Will it be safe to lower with all the ups and downs I have done in the last month? And as I am alergic to the mirtazapine liquid form I need to disolve the tablet in water so silly question how do I get 3.50mg? What ratios do I need to do? Thanks for yr help

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

If you are having an adverse reaction, a judicious decrease in dosage is a good idea.

Please re-read our mirtazapine (Remeron)  tapering information:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

Thank you :-)

7.5mg for 17 days then

Update... decided to stay on the 3.75mg as my heart rate settled so thought best to stabilise where I am after all the ups and downs. Have had mostly good windows apart from some dizzy spells.. a sore tongue because I think I am chewing in at night?? And fatigue but doing ok. My head is still spaced out at times but I don't feel like a robot now as I have the last few months and have laughed and had a sense of humour (this makes me happy)

One thing that I did find odd was someone made me angry (long story).. and the surge if adrenalin thru my body was amazing.. it was actually quite nice to feel this emotion after the flat feeling for those months before x

Ps dreading the next taper but needs must as this drug is certainly not agreeing with me.

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Administrator

Good to hear. Try to stay calm to give your nervous system a break.

Hi Wilma,

I am on mirtz too and have had really weird feelings. I have woken up with a pounding heart although I was not anxious about anything. I have had surge of anxiety rushing through my body, mainly in the chest area. Pins and needles through the body, head. And I too question what this feeling means, whether it means this or that. I did not realise that this could be paradoxical effect. I wish you all the best. Reading threads like this gives me hope.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Thsnk alto have hadca nice calm week considering! What is the paradoxical effect?

Hopeful these are weird sensations aren't they... I must admit mine have really settled on the 3.75mg not sure what my next reduction will bring... ? I can't tolerate the liquid so am going to make my own liquid with tablets... I have studied links alto has highlighted.

What dose you on now hopeful?

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Moderator Emeritus

What is the paradoxical effect?

Its when a drug or supplement has an unexpected or opposite effect from what was expected due to nervous system sensitivity or destabilization.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks petu :-)

7.5mg for 17 days then

Todays update. Been feeling quite good last 5 days but today keeo feeling dizzy on and off and feel bit sick and achy and generally not well.... not sure if this is just tiredness or a rogue window from drug reduction although I thought I had stablalised?

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Wilma,

I'd say that after great and very promising window you are now experiencing a wave which is always difficult and very disappointing but is actually a natural part of the recovery pattern.

I'm typing from my phone now so can't post a link but you will find a thread on windows and waves pattern of recovery in the tapering section (or symptoms) not sure. It will explain a lot and ease these period.

Best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks bubble. Think I sm definitely in a wave... today has not been good... :-( woke with anxiety... which went off and rhen I had extreme fatigue where I nearly fell asleep just sat while out... I couldn't concentrate.... This turned into a depressed feeling and sickness and currently I have been woken up 4 hours after my dose with vivid dreams head ache, mind muddle and pins and needles. ... this has hit me hard as my head has felt tight and weird all day so the low feeling has really been getting to me causing ocd worries about post natal depression? (20months since birth of bubba) arecall these things normal on withdrawal? Even after suchva long window?

My partner is getting quite moody and not understanding how sensitive I feel at present.. and my mum is worn out from me :-( feeling quite alone at present :-( but I know this will pass. .. just hard to see at present x

7.5mg for 17 days then

Ps. Have just read the waves and window thread.. I noticed a bit of chat of there about hormones etc for women! I am due on so can this bring on a wave? I feel flu like and my head has got that tight band feeling and I feel flat. Yesterday I kept getting things or thoughts triggering that doom feeling.... (thats what scares me like the depressive feeling) I actually wasn't that low before the mirtazapine and it was the fact I had constant viruses ie epsteinbar etc that was effecting my mood on occasions but the mirt was fo help with health anxiety after having baby... think this came on because my best friend died young with an anorism and left two children behind. I know I must be in a wave as I am going on!!!!! Also my appetite is zero again as opposed to last week eating anything and everything!

7.5mg for 17 days then

• Moderator Emeritus

I would say its a wave, and yes, hormones, pmt can have an effect!

Pmt + withdrawal wave are not a good combo! The good bit is that pmt

Passes, and so do waves. Ride it out and it will get better. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks mammap I keep reading yr reply as I feel so urrrrgggg and low. Its so hard riding this feeling with little one in tow as I feel so flat and feel like i need to get better quick for him but i now realise quick is not gonna happen :-( am so lucky my mum is helping... it worrys me thwy are using mirtazapine quite routinely here for post natal mums! I will ride the waves like u say as they will pass and get better :-) u ok today?

7.5mg for 17 days then

Slept ok last night... but feeling rock bottom today... felt depressed most of day no get up and go and forgetful and just felt sad... I had a few confident moments soon dwindled.. nothing is making me feel happy! Please someone tell me this is how a wave feels... I am sure before going on this I had down days but always laughed or could puck myself up... I am so scared this is how I am going to stay :-( very tearful and I feel such a burden to people

7.5mg for 17 days then

Grrrr....treating post-natal mums with mirtazapine. I don't how the hell I would have nursed my babies on this stuff. Hope you find relief soon.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Slept ok last night... but feeling rock bottom today... felt depressed most of day no get up and go and forgetful and just felt sad... I had a few confident moments soon dwindled.. nothing is making me feel happy! Please someone tell me this is how a wave feels... I am sure before going on this I had down days but always laughed or could puck myself up... I am so scared this is how I am going to stay :-( very tearful and I feel such a burden to people

This is how a wave feels. You are not going to stay like this and you aren't a burden to anyone. 

Things will get better and you will feel love and joy and happiness again. 

Sending a Mamma hug.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I know muddles it is so worrying... I don't know what would have happened if my partner and mum hadn't helped me.

Mammap thank u I so needed that hug bless u I feel more confident now after such a head muddled day ( pun not intended there muddles :-)) I had a break from the aweful depressed 20 ish hours after taking the mirtazapine then few a hours later take it again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr xx

7.5mg for 17 days then

Another bad day :-( I had my vit b levels checked and they are really low along with adrenals. I am just exhausted and my mind is constantly on the go. I took a vit b complex which stopped me crying but five hours on I feel weird... my mind seems like its my enemy... I feel really delicate noise is effecting me like baby crying and partner getting bit touchy... I feel like I can't cope... I am worried I will have a break down or something as I keep thinking negative. ... I keep getting this dread feeling at things that trigger a memory ie looking at a photo when I felt well and it leaves me churned inside. I also have such a bad head ache and that tight band feeling around it again... I am so scared I am spiralling down.... wish this wave would level after feeling so good last week. Guessing my low vit b doesn't help and my monthly. Sorry about my rant I need to vent sonewhere... my partner has just said I need to just stop the meds and I am prolonging it... he doesn't understand :-(

Sorry to ask this again but do waves make yr head feel weird where u feel like yr going mad and u are kinda in a bubble and have to reality check alot? I feel like I am a prisoner in my own head... its hard not to dwell on things... normally I am such a strong person... I look in the mirror and don't know who I am at the moment feeling so scared :-( I have had a rough couple of years and scared this has caught up on me... guessing the withdrawal is heightening everything.

Also had motion sickness and feel nausea all day.

7.5mg for 17 days then

Anxiety real high still :'(

7.5mg for 17 days then

Todays update.. woke in the night with nausea and electric zaps in my lips! And hot sweats! Also woke at 6.30am with servere anxiety which is only just easing off. As I am very low in vit b's I took one 24 hours ago and as much as I need to get my vit b's up I am guessing my body is so sensitive I can't handle a strong dose so I have just taken a third of a tablet to do this slowly?. ( I think my vit bs are low because I did way too much in my good window last week which has then had a knock on effect on my energy levels hence falling asleep while out tues and the low mood) my brain is exhausted this morning from the severe anxiety. I also take it that my body is adjusting still from eratic drops of mirtazapine from 15mg to current dose 3.75mg so I am dealing with withdrawals and trying to stabalize along side these low vit bs and fatigue??? No wonder I feel like poop and can't function or cope with anything?? Guessing these types of things are put on here all the time. I have such a headache and want to take some codeine but scared this might cause probs for me? Thanks for everyones support. My brain is so muddled I can just about type this out.

7.5mg for 17 days then

I take the odd parecetamol and it doesn't seem to effect withdrawel. The tight band symptom I had for a while and actually found out it was sinus problems. Keep strong.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

And the churning feeling you get looking at nice things is all to do with neuro emotions. There is a topic about somewhere. All normal (well not normal) symptoms unfortunately.

Severe adverse reaction

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Thanks muddles :-) that's a relief about neuro transmitters it was worrying me keep getting these worry's I 'm scared I'm gonna have a break down but I know it's like pure anxiety! But my head can't cope with much while in a wave! U ok today?

7.5mg for 17 days then

Ps just moticed bubbles has already put the neuo link on my thread I must have been in a head fuzz and not seen it. Thanks bubbles x

7.5mg for 17 days then

I don't know how I am supposed to cope with this withdrawal with this lot here... I feel so ill today had numbness and zaps in my face... my body keeps going heavy with constant nausea and upset stomach and now I am tearful because all the people I live with aka mum dad partner and baby are rowing... my head is a muddle I am so forgetful and can't concentrate and my partner keeps having a go... now they ate all argueing over mess baby has made but I am still poorly and have very little energy to pitch in... we are moving out soon when rented house is ready... what do I do... at these times I feel like breaking but I know everything is heightened from the tablets withdrawal... my poor body.... feeling scared and alone now! I feel like upping my mirtazapine but I know I can't bwcause it made mebed bound... wwouldn't be so bad if I wasn't on a wave... think the vit bs are not agreeing with me eitber.

7.5mg for 17 days then