Leanne: New here - Coming off of Cipralex

Leanne

Hi there, I'm new and not quite sure what to say here.

I regret starting down this road and feel angry with the doctor who put me on these drugs in the first place. I was stressed at the time because I was about to get married and dealing with inlaw issues. The doctor only talked to me for 5 minutes and in that time decided I needed this stuff and I feel pretty dim for going along with it. I've always been shy and anxious and I now see there is nothing wrong with that. Some people are just more introverted and that doesn't need correcting although we can all improve. The problems the drugs have given me are far worse than anything I was dealing with in the first place and I wonder if that doctor even cares what happens once he has written out the prescriptions and sent the patient on their way. Anyway, that's my little rant.  

After tapering off of Cirpalex for 2 years, I am now drug free as of April 2014. I had attempted to stop "cold turkey" which scared me like you wouldn't believe. I suffered wicked panic attacks and violent shaking from head to toe and I felt completely crazy. So I went back on again and didn't even consider going off them again for quite a while.  In 2012 I decided to try again, but ignored the doctor's advice to taper off the meds in 6 weeks and went with 2 years instead. I just didn't want to face what happened before and I figured the longer I tapered off the better and easier it would be.

So I'm doing ok, but I'm having a hard time sleeping and I'm feeling depressed, anxious, cranky and sometimes angry for no reason. I also have happy moments where I feel really hopeful. When I stopped taking the drugs in April I began exercising and trying to eat better as well as forcing myself to go out more often. I tend to isolate myself and I know that doesn't help anything.

So that's where I am now. :) Thanks for reading.

2001 - Paxil 6 months
2004 - 2007 Effexor

2007 - went off for several months before switching to Cipralex 10mg
2007 - 2014 Cipralex 10 mg
2011 - Awful attempt at quitting cold turkey
2012 - cut Cipralex dosage to 5mg
2013 - cut dosage down to roughly 2.5mg
April 2014 - Stopped taking medication

Hi:)

Welcome to SA. Sorry that you have to be here, but glad you found us. 

I can relate to your story and I think you will find a lot of good information and support to help you handle these trying times. 

I recommend reading in the symptoms and self-care section of the page. The symptoms you describe sounds like a part of  the window wave pattern which I recommend reading about, and might help you understand a little better what is going on with your body in this withdrawal state. For the anger you describe i recommend reading about neuro-emotions also in that section of the page.

This is a terrible state to be in  and the people you find here understand this all to well, you are not alone.

I'm sure some of our veterans will come along shortly with some advice for you:)

-Skybert 

Started Esctialopram (Lexapro) 10mg june 2012. 20mg august 2012.15mg february 2013 - 10mg april 2013 - 5mg may 2013 0mg - 26.june 2013 Crashed mid. august 2013. Reinstated 2mg Escitalopram 22.september 2013 2.5mg 29 september 2013, 3mg 15 november 2013.

First taper from 3mg to 2.7mg 10 may 2014

Micro cuts since then.

Current dose september 2017 1.7mg

Current supplements: Nothing. (GI issues)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Leanne, welcome to SA.  Your story is so familiar here, so many people are prescribed

anti depressants by a doctor they trusted, when all they needed was understanding.

It's good that you took time to taper, but I am a little confused about the method you used. 

Thank you for posting a signature,  in it you say you cut from 10mg to 5, then to 2.5 then stopped.

It took 2 years but cutting your dose by 50% each time would have been a lot for your nervous

system to cope with.  You did right by taking time between the cuts but I suspect that the last 2.5

needed tapering slowly. The last few mgs are the hardest and need more time. 

It is possible that reinstating a tiny amount, maybe 0.5, could ease the withdrawal symptoms. 

If you decide to try it and it helps, then you could hold at that dose until you have been symptom free

for a few weeks, then start a slow taper from that last little bit. 

No-one ever wants to reinstate, but it is the only way to stop the symptoms of withdrawal. At 3 months

off it is not guaranteed to work, but  some have tried and been successful. Sadly it doesn't always help

and sometimes people become sensitised and have a reaction, which is why we recommend a very

small dose. 

Here is a topic on reinstating and stabilising. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

And one for tapering cipralex http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Cipralex is available in a liquid for easier tapering of small doses.

It's good that you found us, and we will help in any way we can. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible