☼ Oldgator: Weaning off 100mg Pristiq and scared to death!

oldgator

• Administrator

Oldgator, that seems very fast. Please consider letting your nervous system rest for several weeks before another change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

So I've had a minor setback. My brain just isn't working like it normally does and I'm having a hard time remembering things. I forgot that I was down to a really small 1/4 of a pill in the afternoon and then 3 days ago I started taking a small half instead of the small quarter. Oops. I didn't catch on until 1.5 days in and then began to develop a horrible headache which I still have. When I sat down and tried to figure out why I was getting such a nasty headache/migraine, I realized what had happened; I had increased my dose. Just the opposite of what I want to happen. So now I've made a schedule and put it on my wall so that my brain doesn't have to work and I can just look and see what I am supposed to be doing. It's a minor setback but this massive headache is kicking my butt. It's been over 24 hours without a break in the constant pain; nothing even makes a dent in the pain. I'm so tempted to just cold turkey the rest and see what happens. I can't believe I made such a crazy mistake like this and I'm so frustrated with myself. Stupid Pristiq. 

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/1 - Started Pristiq 50mg

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done!! I had my last dose of Pristiq 2 days in the morning. I'm shocked yet very happy that I haven't had the massive headache on this last step down to the ground floor. My OCD is pretty bad right now and I never gave the SSRI's or anything else enough credit for taming it. I'm still experiencing aggravation and almost aggression at night for the smallest of infractions in regards to my children, but I'm hoping that will lessen and I can return to "normal." It took me a month to taper down from 100mg to 0mg but I must also remind everyone that I was only on the drug for 5-6 months. I had an MRI a few weeks ago before I realized that the Pristiq could be causing the massive headaches that I had been getting. There is a spot on my MRi in my left frontal lobe that is evidence of "de-myleanation disease or migraine attacks." I go back in a few more months to get another MRI and see if anything has changed. I do know that 1.5 yrs ago I had a brain MRI and it was just fine so it definitely makes me wonder if the Pristiq has done this. Thank you all so much for the feedback and guidance (especially Alto and mogfish).

My Introduction

I've been on pretty much every antidepressant at some point over the last15 years with nothing that ever works (because it wasn't depression due to a chemical imbalance).

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

9/25 - Have decided to stop Pristiq 100mg. Researching how to withdrawal and am scared to death!

10/2 - 50mg pill plus small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/7 - 50mg pill plus very small 1/4 of 100mg pill in the morning; very small quarter of 100mg pill in the evening

10/9 - 50 mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/4 of 50mg pill in the evening

10/15 - 50mg pill plus 1/4 of 50mg pill in the morning; 1/8 of 50mg pill in the evening

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi oldgator,

Congratulations on being Pristiq free, even though your taper was very fast.  I hope you start to feel better soon. Do stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

You're very welcome, OG. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Oldgator.

I haven't visited this site in a while and just read your post. Congrats on coming of Pristiq. Please let me know how you are going. I also take wrong doses and getting in a muddle!!

Take care

Fuzzy

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Things are going great I'm feeling so much better not being on Pristiq. The massive headaches I've had are gone as well as the crazy menstrual cycles as well. The aggression is starting to decrease which I'm so thankful for. Everything is continuing to get better and calm down which is such a blessing. It's possible to get off this crazy drug. While some might think I tapered quickly, I took over a month to taper a drug that I had been on for only 5-6 months. 

Fuzzy - stay strong and don't give up. It's possible to come of the medicine. I finally had to write it out on the bathroom mirror so I would stop messing it up. That really did help me so maybe you can try that. I just kept a dry erase marker in the bathroom and kept track of what I was supposed to be taking. Good luck.

My Introduction

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

• Administrator

Very good to hear, oldgator! Perhaps in a few months you can write up a success story here http://tinyurl.com/8uucq38

Excellent suggestion for keeping track of your dosage.

So glad you're doing well. One day I hope to say the same. If I had a decent mirror I'd do that, but good advise will find an alternative!!

Nov 2012 started on pristiq 50 mg

Late Aug 2014 started taper (skipping every 2nd day)

Early Sep 2014 went back to daily dose but 75% (later realised closer to 60%)

13 Oct 14 1/2 of 50mg tablet split 2/3 in morning 1/3 in evening

14 Nov 1/4 50mg once a day

15 Dec 1/8 daily

26 Dec quit

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Thanks Alto. Hopefully I can write up a success story in a mont or two. When headaches and migraines got really bad (and I had no idea it was from Pristiq), my primary care doctor ordered an MRI of my brain. That scan revealed there was a lesion on my brain in the frontal lobe and could be due to  "demylating disease or migraines." I have a follow-up scan scheduled in another month to see what has happened in the last few months, if anything.  I had a brain scan a few months before I started and pristiq and nothing showed up!! Regardless of the scan, I'm feeling pretty darn good. It did take months for my angriness to go away and my concentration has never reached pre-pristiq I feel. I am still so very grateful to be off of it. My mood is back to normal life is just pretty darn good right now. 

My Introduction

4/13 - Pristiq 100mg

I really hope your next brain scan shows some improvement, or that whatever is causing the lesion is not threatening. Please let us know how it goes.

Wishing you the very best. :)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• Administrator

Good to hear, OG. Let's hope the artifact on the scan was something that's now cleared up.