Newbies not understanding suffering (formerly CT or Rapid Taper Discussion)

Wildflower0214

• Administrator

bells, I'll respond to a few points you made in your long post above.

It's not only newbies or the unsympathetic who write me when someone is being unrelentingly negative. I cannot control who writes me about what. They write me about something they think management should take care of (and a ton of other stuff, too).

People have different ways of reacting to the suffering of others. Each of us has at some time seemed unfeeling or harsh. Many types of reaction are authentic. People have different world views about how to cope. There is no one right way to support anyone.

This is an Internet forum. I wish it could replace all the love and comfort people are missing in their lives, but it cannot. While it seems like a real place, it's just an Internet forum.

Like every community, individuals have a lot of different needs and interests. New people are always arriving. It's impossible for me to control their behavior, nor would I want to. On very rare occasions, I reluctantly restrict people to their topics, and even rarer, ban them from the site, for the good of the community. You need to trust the perspective of the administrators and moderators on this.

I do not want to sequester long-term sufferers in a separate forum for many, many reasons. Sometimes people who are dwelling on their suffering are hurting themselves and this influence can hurt others.

The people who are having an easier time learn from those who are having a worse time, and vice versa. People who are naive learn that others have experiences and feelings that are different. People who are scared learn the truth that we are in a dangerous reality (or simply go away). Newbies become core community members. Everyone benefits from the energy of the commons.

Unfortunately, while we can always discuss tapering techniques with those who are in the midst of tapering, we can't do much for those who are suffering long-term post-discontinuation syndrome other than offer community and emotional support (subject to the limitations of an Internet forum). I encourage long-term sufferers to open topics in Symptoms for discussion of their special issues. This will help everyone.

There may be people here who find everything we can do to be unsatisfactory. I'm sorry, we do our best. You must keep in mind the limitations of the medium, the limitations of humans to understand each other, and the limitations of what can be done for suffering.

If you wish to communicate in a more sheltered environment, there is the personal messaging space, where you can correspond with selected friends. You can always block people that upset you with the Ignore function. And, ultimately, if participating here gives you nothing but grief, you can stop visiting.

I know you're unhappy here, bells, and I'm not sure I can do anything to change that. We all need to allow differences in temperament, reactions, and understanding.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think it would help those of us paddling the row boat to have each other along the way.

I'm definitely in a row boat, so far from land I often wonder if it still even exists, thankfully, for me, the seas have calmed a little over the past couple of days.  But I lost an oar and keep forgetting to alternate sides with the remaining one while paddling, so I'm going around in circles.  Its hard to develop new habits with cognitive issues causing problems.

How is everyone else doing today?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

well I certainly understand the boat analogy.  Especially the going in circles part.  Luv2knit, JDM  haven't heard much from you two in the last day or two.  I sure hope you are doing alright.  I managed to get to the grocery store and back today which is good, but these intrusive negative thoughts have to go.  I think I am actually afraid of myself.  I feel like I don't even have control of my own brain.  Has anyone ever snapped completely or does this eventually taper and go away?  Sheesh, I have kids to raise and it is getting hard these days, especially with my son having his own issues with Seroquel.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Urgh the intrusive thoughts..I've had this for so long intermittently that I came to believe that it was just my personality. I think knowing that they are just thoughts are half the battle and trying to observe them but I know this can be almost impossible at times.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I'm here, Frustrated. Thanks for asking. I'm hanging in there. Not much sleep last night, but a little more night before. Still having the nausea and vertigo that I haven't had in a while, and as always, the akathisia is there in varying degrees. I haven't been able to drive, but have been pretty busy today riding around with the family running errands.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Hi I've just turned 73 a few days ago I've been fighting this disease for the last 40 years I mean the addiction to legal drugs and alcohol I have not had a drink for 39 years and I came of bensos 28 years ago it was a4 year nightmare for me but all those symptoms adventually passed but I remained on antidepressant.s but I have now been drug free for 6 months and if I die tomorrow I can consider my self a success yes i am in protracted withdrawel and it is far from good but it is the hand I've been dealt and I have to play it of course we all get negative but thank God we don't all get negative on the same day

.so we can encourage one and other forward I believe if I had the luxury of this wonderful site all those years ago I would have saved myself 30 years of pain I also believe that one day I will be well my first withdrawel supports the belief I've also learned quite a bit through the years I learned not to give up 5 minutes befolre the miracle happens and to keep my life in today and that the pain of this world will no way compare with the glory of the next world so with your help I will soldier on God bless all of us.

I was originally on 350 mils doxepin started in1975 through the years I tapered down to 100 mils

I stayed on this dose for many years

I have now been off for 7 months ago

Well

I have been thinking. I believe I have to weigh cost and benefit here. This forum has convinced me that I am not crazy. And I have needed the info. But, I have also had the living sh*t scared out of me because of some of the info.

I often wish each of us had someone who was very experinced in this who we could go to and ask "is this normal? Will it pass?" And they could say yes without giving us any unneeded info or possible disasteous scenarios. They would keep everything on a need to know basis. But, that is not the case so we end up sifting through horror stories for answers. These things haunt me. And they get stuck in my head. What if.....? It's endless.

I still need the Benzo section, and will continue to go there for guidence.

I have really nowhere else to go besides here. But I believe the cost to me is outweighing the benefit. So, Im gonna discipline myself and stick to the benzo section when needed.

Everytime i spend time in here, I leave fearful. It's just where I am in WD and is no reflection on the valudity and usefulness of the forum.

I have to say I resent the living hell out of people dropping by threads to infuse more fear and "what if" scenarios. If the fear isn't there, even if it may be something to legitimately be concerned over, DONT INTRODUCE IT! It is damaging and it hurts people. It has hurt me. I do not need to know all the possible disasteous outcomes. You don't tell someone with cancer "there is a 25% chance you won't live, you tell them there is a 75% chance you will survive." Introducing fear is speaking death into a situation. That is not a kind thing to do to people in our position, but I doubt anyone actually took the time to consider our position, but jumped at the opportunity to do whatever they felt they needed to do without considering the possible consequence to others. I've had enough.

ive said this before but never stuck to it. But I have to. Being here is making me more sick.

Please, let us be more mindful of our words. They have power. Especially, now in this situation.

The only way I can keep people from speaking these things to me, is to remove myself. I can't control others.

I am going to get better, and I'll not allow others to stop that.

So, for now, while I'm in this place mentally. I'm taking a break.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Sorry to hear that JDM but I totally understand your point and respect that decision.  You have to do what is best for your healing process.  I wish you well and hope you have a speedy recovery.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

I agree as well. I keep wanting to check on the ones I have been communicating with the most and see how they are doing, but I am in a very fragile place right now... Can't handle some of what's going on.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

As one of those experienced veterans who has been contacted by several newbies for encouragement, I feel like I am in a dammed if you do and dammed if you don't position.    For those of you now familiar with my story, a year after getting off of all psych meds, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea.  In a nutshell, I have been unable to stay asleep on the machine and have suffered greatly from sleep deprivation and quality sleep.   To be honest, my life has been hell.

So I explain that while I am not doing well because of my situation, that they can't go by my experience because it is highly unusual and that there are many success stories to look up.   But that answer seems to fall short since I am not giving a glowing report of my own situation.

To be honest, I have thought of simply ignoring the messages but at the same time, I know how I feel when people don't respond to my posts so I don't want to do the same thing to other people.   But at the same time, if my response is not what people find helpful and to be honest, I am not going to say I am doing fine when I am not, then I may not have any choice.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

CS, I don't think anyone can fault you for being honest when asked about your situation. I think the issue we have here is with someone who randomly comes on a thread where relatively "new" people are clearly barely hanging on and volunteering every dark, gloomy thing you possibly can. This was the case with an earlier post on this thread, and it was pretty upsetting. It sounds to me like you have tried to be compassionate with your responses to direct questions while at the same being honest about your situation. Best wishes!!

CS, I don't think anyone can fault you for being honest when asked about your situation. I think the issue we have here is with someone who randomly comes on a thread where relatively "new" people are clearly barely hanging on and volunteering every dark, gloomy thing you possibly can. This was the case with an earlier post on this thread, and it was pretty upsetting. It sounds to me like you have tried to be compassionate with your responses to direct questions while at the same being honest about your situation. Best wishes!!

Thanks luv2knit, that makes me feel better.

Yeah, I don't blame you at all for being upset with people volunteering every dark gloomy detail possible.    That is so mean and cruel and I don't understand why someone would do that.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Exactly, CS!!

• Administrator

JDM, by all means, take a break if you need it.

I think a lot of us find the realization that medicine is not the safety net we thought it was to be very distressing. As for the problems with withdrawal, I wish they were different, but they are what they are.

I and the mods get messages all the time asking us "Is this normal?" Under the negative influences of the drugs, we all wrestle with thoughts and sensations we never imagined. I truly appreciate old timers helping newbies with that question.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I just feel the need to list my symptoms so I can look at them and remember what I have survived:

Food intolerances causing mood problems, heavy limbs, paranoia, sleep disturbance, sensations, feeling of head numbing....etc.

Paranoia

Intrusive thoughts

Obsessive ruminating

Reactions to over the counter medications

Burning sensations

Electrical sensations

Crawly sensations

Restlessness

Feeling drunk

Cog Fog to the point I barely knew where I was

Inability to cry

Panic

Fear

Seeing "things" eyes playing tricks on me

Some level of psychosis

Parkinson's like tremors

Urinary retention

Cavities due to poor hygiene during a couple months when I was too sick to bathe for days

Memories of traumatic past

Rage

Jolting when trying to sleep

Twitches

Nightmares

Hot/cold sweats

Derealization

Feeling like on illegal stimulant drug

PGAD

Feeling like upper and downer at the same time

Suicidal ideation

Skin rashes, reactions to lotion, deodarant, soap, shampoo.

Complete Insomnia

Waking many times during the night

Noise sensitivity

Light sensitivity

Sound sensitivity

Nausea

Loss of appetite

Inability to regulate body temp, freezing all the time

Feeling like head is numb and dead in areas

Inability to take pleasure in anything

That's all I can think of, but I think there is more..

Makes bootcamp in the Marines look like a birthday party.

JDM 1984 and luv2knit:

Wow, I have ALL of these.  Coming off a tricyclic and a benzo.  You can see all my symptoms in my signature below.  I just want to know that it will get better.  I am so sad that I let the doctors put me on these meds for a medical problem that now seems to be responding well to physical therapy.  

I know that most people here were put on meds for mental health reasons, so I'm not sure if you are aware that tricyclic antidepressants are now being handed out like candy for things like IBS, fibro, and pelvic pain.  

I don't know if all my Parkinsonism and jerks and twitches and restlessness come from the benzos or the TCAs, or both.  I just want to know that it DOES abate.  I SUPER rapid tapered everything because I was told it was okay to do so.  

Can you please tell me it gets better?      

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

WiggleIt--I was put on Zoloft (SSRI) 20 years ago for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I did not have anxiety or depression. I unknowingly did a much too rapid taper (6 weeks) off of 100 mg. during June and July. I was completely off by the end of July. I did not start having withdrawal symptoms (except vertigo) until about month later. The symptoms you describe sound very much like the akathisia I have been suffering from since then. Most of the references on this board to akathisia seem to indicate that everyone recovers. My impression, though, is that this takes time. I would say I am not really far enough out to advise you based on my experience. I believe 6 months is the earliest I have seen anyone speak of marked improvement with this. I'm not there yet. I have better days and worse days, but I do suffer to some degree every day. I still remain hopeful, though. My insomnia leaves me in such a state that I cannot drive, and I cannot stay at home by myself, but I keep a journal, and believe I have seen improvement in some areas. Best of luck to you in your recovery.

So I just read part of your intro. The tardive dyskenisia, I believe, may be different from the akathisia, and I believe there may be several references to it, if you do a "search". :) Whichever "movement" disorder, it really sucks!! Again, best of luck!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you luv2knit.  I also believe they are different.  Basically, I've come down with every movement disorder, it seems.  Now, my right hand has trouble with fine motor control on some days.

I just… I never would have let ANYONE put me on meds at all if I had known I had a chance to recover my chronic pain with physical therapy alone.

I really hope that I am able to write by hand again someday and put on mascara.  AND write research papers and chew and swallow!!!  Everyone says i will recover, but you know how hard the wait is.

I have heard enough success stories about cognition returning, but it seems that a lot of the symptoms I have are considered "severe" and "rare," so I am scared.

Thank you for replying.  

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

You're welcome. Yes, the wait is hard. Also, sometimes it seems a particular symptom is gone, only to come back again. I had tremors off and on earlier, and thought they were gone for the most part, but now they seem to come back occasionally. I think maybe we have to look at our overall progress long term, and not just day to day.

I just feel the need to list my symptoms so I can look at them and remember what I have survived:

Food intolerances causing mood problems, heavy limbs, paranoia, sleep disturbance, sensations, feeling of head numbing....etc.

Paranoia

Intrusive thoughts

Obsessive ruminating

Burning sensations

Electrical sensations

Crawly sensations

Restlessness

Feeling drunk

Inability to cry

Panic

Fear

Some level of psychosis

Parkinson's like tremors

Urinary retention

Cavities due to poor hygiene during a couple months when I was too sick to bathe for days

Rage

Twitches

Nightmares

Hot/cold sweats

Derealization

PGAD

Suicidal ideation

Complete Insomnia

Noise sensitivity

Light sensitivity

Sound sensitivity

Nausea

Loss of appetite

JDM 1984 and luv2knit:

Wow, I have ALL of these. Coming off a tricyclic and a benzo. You can see all my symptoms in my signature below. I just want to know that it will get better. I am so sad that I let the doctors put me on these meds for a medical problem that now seems to be responding well to physical therapy.

I know that most people here were put on meds for mental health reasons, so I'm not sure if you are aware that tricyclic antidepressants are now being handed out like candy for things like IBS, fibro, and pelvic pain.

I don't know if all my Parkinsonism and jerks and twitches and restlessness come from the benzos or the TCAs, or both. I just want to know that it DOES abate. I SUPER rapid tapered everything because I was told it was okay to do so.

Honestly, I wish I knew. I'm 5 1/2 months into all of this, and I pray it gets better. I believe I would be better if I could take some supps and I could eat. I can only eat 15 things and I think I react to some of them too, but I have to eat.

I don't really know how this goes for people like us, not too many in the same boat on this forum, or any forum for that matter.

I got worse around 3 months, then had a couple of tolerable weeks, then back down the hole becuase of a reaction to a med at the dentist. I have absolutely no idea what the time frame is, I wish I could say. The more I go through this, the more I have no idea what lies ahead.

I'm sorry.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 1 month later...

JDM, I'm new and have been following your thread and Muddles, Frustrated and Iluv2knit. I can't navigate this sight at all. I'm scared because I can't breathe. Help.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

JDM, I'm new and have been following your thread and Muddles, Frustrated and Iluv2knit. I can't navigate this sight at all. I'm scared because I can't breathe. Help.

Hey Pug,

This site can be VERY hard to maneuver at first, which can make you feel even more desperate and lonely. I understand because the exact thing happened to me when I first started here, and I didn't know how to search for info or respond to people, and I didn't even know how to find questions that I had originally posted!

It can be a tricky site. Since you have already made your account, I recommend that in your settings, you select the option to automatically follow any topic you respond to.

Also, please know that I have experienced the difficulty breathing and it has improved. I have only been off meds for 2.5 months and breathing was a major scare for a long time. It has now improved. I have occasional breathing scares still, here and there, but it is no longer constant.

Please have faith that yours will also improve. If you would like to be cautious, you could go to an ear/nose/throat specialist to make sure there is nothing obstructively wrong. My sleep apnea and swallow tests came up normal, so process of elimination points to my breathing trouble as a withdrawal symptom. And since my breathing trouble has started to show better days, please have faith that yours will, too. But if you feel the need to get some non-invasive testing done to ease your mind, it is understandable.

Wiggle has given you some good advice. Hang in there! It gets better and a bit less frightening as time goes on. I'm so sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Paranoia

Intrusive thoughts

Obsessive ruminating

Burning sensations

Electrical sensations

Crawly sensations

Restlessness

Feeling drunk

Inability to cry

Panic

Fear

Some level of psychosis

Parkinson's like tremors

Urinary retention

Rage

Twitches

Nightmares

Hot/cold sweats

Derealization

PGAD

Suicidal ideation

Complete Insomnia

Noise sensitivity

Light sensitivity

Sound sensitivity

Nausea

Loss of appetite

JDM 1984 and luv2knit:

Wow, I have ALL of these.  Coming off a tricyclic and a benzo.  You can see all my symptoms in my signature below.  I just want to know that it will get better.  I am so sad that I let the doctors put me on these meds for a medical problem that now seems to be responding well to physical therapy.  

I don't know if all my Parkinsonism and jerks and twitches and restlessness come from the benzos or the TCAs, or both.  I just want to know that it DOES abate.  I SUPER rapid tapered everything because I was told it was okay to do so.  

While I am processing my response to this thread on another issue that is complicated let me give you the answer from my point of view on this easy question... it will get better. 

I had what you call the rare and the bad... or whatever.  parkinsonism... as you have used the term and more.  Of the things you have mentioned almost all of them have abated to a point most of the time they are no longer issues for me when one pops up I know what it is and tend to be bored by it more than anything ...as in 

you again.. frig off and leave me alone ... 

sometimes it will be something I have a tool for like a meditation or eating a more of a certain food to taking something out of my diet I know I should not be eating.... 

There are other things which are worrisome but you don't have them your don't have  any indication of ever getting them from the list I see... so we will leave them alone. 

All this other stuff is withdrawal it will end... when I can't say but suspect you will be a lot better in 2 years 3 for sure... if you keep away from drugs be very careful what meds you put in your body and I mean any med... check it out here first ask the Mods.... as further drug use can slow things down and mess you up.

As for the title of the thread CT rapid taper.. or what it use to be called... if you  are a ct or rapid taper symptoms will be more intense.. that is a given from what I have seen.  

It will take time but you will get better everyone I have ever seen on a wd site has improved... complete healing is another thing... but given the intensity of the early years ... everyone I have every looked at has improved with time... no exception I can think of. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

I think newbies learn rather quickly there are some topics that are unhelpful to them... I did learn this.. the hard way.  

Same as I learned watching the news was not good for me... same as i learned coffee would put on the floor... there is a learning curve and we all go thru it we were all newbies at one point. 

Being a newbie can also mean our cognitive functioning is not so hope as early withdrawal is like that... I think there is a short time between joining and learning where newbies should maybe be steered away from some topics rather than keeping the long sufferers in a special group maybe newbies should have like an toddler room where we keep good care of what we say... as I know from my own experience I was not fit to be in the general population. 

I know this is my opinion... and it likely sucks... but it is how I see it... 

As I was a childcare worker I also just had another take on this if the toddlers are kept segregated how will they ever learn the skills they need to not only navigate this board ... or real life. 

In a way this board does represent real life to a lot of people here it is more real than real life as not much in real life is identifiable to their experience and the people here are identifiable .. when they fit no place else they fit here.

I can't say that a place like this is more important to the newbie than the long term sufferer... as both have need.. sure the tapering and early (first 2-3 year) has a pattern of recovery that allows us to offer hope and support to get to that timeline. We see some results and it helps us feel good about ourselves to offer something of value to another and see them thru hard times... there is a payoff... in walking somebody thru hell to see them come out the other side.

For one thing it validates the old timers suffering it was not all completely in vain as a usefulness has been found for all the needless suffering... that means something. 

Seeing somebody come out and go on with their lives and have a good life is very very satisfying ... as some of us know if we had learned the truths of this entire fraud earlier we too may have (with support like people get here) been able to pick up the bits of our lives and had a good long life after wd.. and drugging. You see being caught a long time on drugs ... takes a good part of that chance away...I think. So it is good to save somebody the fate some of us have been stuck with ... like letting innocent people out of jail... they had a life sentence now they are free... try to beat that as a neuro...emotional high...:) 

You get free we get to stick it to pharma as they lost another life long customer and you missed hopefully the "other" issues not yet well understood that long term use can bring. 

After living thru wd and being completely misunderstood and often badly medicalised and labeled we know the pitfalls we try to warn console and guide it is an important part of my life as I said before who else is going to know?  who else is going to tell you?  Nobody that is who.. they don't know. 

We tend to know a lot more about early wd then we do about protracted wd... I think and we like it better as it is easier to see the patterns and to draw conclusions based on what is observed in 2-4 years most people do recover in this time frame and some way sooner.  

I wonder about protracted wd... I wonder if what we see now as from where we sit with limited understanding and less of an over view than what we have of early wd... if it is just the same as early if we had been doing this and taking good care to mark stages of protracted wd as we have early wd maybe we would be seeing patterns... similarities that we don't see now. I wonder too if we have missed a chance to give protracted a sound place to stand and be examined... perhaps having a section closed off would have been a way to do that... I don't know.  

Protracted withdrawal does not offer the rewards of the early wd... we don't have a lot of pwd success story  people walking the other pwd  thru a stage of disillusionment or other issues.  The payoff is not the same.. we can't see it .. we have not patterns perhaps because we have a lack of attention to this because it seems endless, when maybe it isn't maybe it just has a longer timeline we are too impatient to discover.  I do wonder. I wonder too if the health issues pwd folks have are common denominators.. in any way.  We don't see the patterns as they are all off in the corner some place or scattered through out the site.. or hiding away in pm... 

I am not criticizing this site it is doing amazing work.. and perhaps it has limitations imposed by the nature of the issues. I do have these thoughts that rumble around inside my head and I don't see answers to them.. that does not mean there are no answers ... it means I don't see them.  maybe somebody will reply with the answers answers and set me straight. That is the nature of these wd sites ... at least the ones that work.. we all help each other and we all are rewarded sometimes in very odd ways. 

peace all. 

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

ps 

sorry for the messed up bits I should learn to proof read before I post I am always impatient and afraid my post will disappear... I think too that it takes a form of extra focus and work for me to join the dots and post at times and I am fatigued by the process yes still.. some days are better than others but this is one of my pwd issues.  I have had extended times of clarity only to lose it again.  I am not sure why. Also going off topic is an issue of mine as my mind wonders case in point I came back here to say one thing...

that I am under no illusion we are truly denting pharmas income by people quitting their drugs as I bet for everyone that quits in a day 10 more start taking them. 

that is what I came back to say rather then the explanation presented above... 

I am not sure if this cognitive issue... is just me or other people in pwd or if it is some other health issue... I just don't know.

peace all

ps with all that still bugs me be it health issue related or unrelated to Ads... 

i am light years away from where I was when I first quit taking effexor cold turkey... that needs to be said.. that needs to be heard loud and clear... I am not where I want to be is all. 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

bells, I'll respond to a few points you made in your long post above.

It's not only newbies or the unsympathetic who write me when someone is being unrelentingly negative. I cannot control who writes me about what. They write me about something they think management should take care of (and a ton of other stuff, too).

People have different ways of reacting to the suffering of others. Each of us has at some time seemed unfeeling or harsh. Many types of reaction are authentic. People have different world views about how to cope. There is no one right way to support anyone.

This is an Internet forum. I wish it could replace all the love and comfort people are missing in their lives, but it cannot. While it seems like a real place, it's just an Internet forum.

Like every community, individuals have a lot of different needs and interests. New people are always arriving. It's impossible for me to control their behavior, nor would I want to. On very rare occasions, I reluctantly restrict people to their topics, and even rarer, ban them from the site, for the good of the community. You need to trust the perspective of the administrators and moderators on this.

I do not want to sequester long-term sufferers in a separate forum for many, many reasons. Sometimes people who are dwelling on their suffering are hurting themselves and this influence can hurt others.

The people who are having an easier time learn from those who are having a worse time, and vice versa. People who are naive learn that others have experiences and feelings that are different. People who are scared learn the truth that we are in a dangerous reality (or simply go away). Newbies become core community members. Everyone benefits from the energy of the commons.

Unfortunately, while we can always discuss tapering techniques with those who are in the midst of tapering, we can't do much for those who are suffering long-term post-discontinuation syndrome other than offer community and emotional support (subject to the limitations of an Internet forum). I encourage long-term sufferers to open topics in Symptoms for discussion of their special issues. This will help everyone.

There may be people here who find everything we can do to be unsatisfactory. I'm sorry, we do our best. You must keep in mind the limitations of the medium, the limitations of humans to understand each other, and the limitations of what can be done for suffering.

If you wish to communicate in a more sheltered environment, there is the personal messaging space, where you can correspond with selected friends. You can always block people that upset you with the Ignore function. And, ultimately, if participating here gives you nothing but grief, you can stop visiting.

I know you're unhappy here, bells, and I'm not sure I can do anything to change that. We all need to allow differences in temperament, reactions, and understanding.

" Sometimes people who are dwelling on their suffering are hurting themselves and this influence can hurt others."

I wonder if this could be a stage?  Something if we were to look closely at we would find in everyone at a certain time like we see the negativity stage in early wd. 

What do you think?

Had a car accident in 85

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with what you are saying. Our journeys are all different even though we are all struggling for the same end result. Like luv 2 knit I am only coming off one drug as well. But I too came off way too quickly. After five months I have tried to reinstate a tiny amount to calm my withdralws a bit but it has yet to prove affective. I am so very sorry that you are suffering so badly. I have been having a hard time as well and although i may not know exactly how you feel I can empathize to some extent. I hope you find some peace soon.

I agree.  We are all struggling for the same end result and even though our journeys are different, it's nice to have the  encouragement and support of like-minded members who understand how difficult this process can be.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I relate to about 80% of Wildflower's symptoms.  Not that I had them all at once, mind.  And the ones I didn't have, I've helped loved ones with.  I'm not a typical CT or PWS, but I'm probably always going to be sensitive to psych meds.

"The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris, about ACT (Acceptance and Commitment) therapy addresses this.  I'm not saying I've mastered it, come and get it.  I'm just saying - it addresses this discontent, this forever empty, of wandering around wondering why you lost so much, and what was the point of that?  

It's that old Serenity prayer thing.  Change what you can, accept what you can't.  Pray to know the difference.

I would say BTDT, you are right on the money when you say:  

" Sometimes people who are dwelling on their suffering are hurting themselves and this influence can hurt others."

I wonder if this could be a stage?  Something if we were to look closely at we would find in everyone at a certain time like we see the negativity stage in early wd. 

What do you think?

I think it could be yet another withdrawal symptom.  And a darned dangerous one, as it can be self fulfilling.

When "false thoughts" and "Neuro feelings" arise, you've got lots of options.  You can follow them down the dark rabbit hole into madness.  You can reach out for help.  You can challenge them (this takes a really strong, usually healthy mind).  You can ignore them and distract them.

Which wolf is stronger?  The one you feed.

I hope I didn't step out of line posting here - I do feel your agony, your despair - but I also know - I cannot follow you there, because my health depends on it.  

Believe me, I'm not a user of CBT, I'm well beyond that.  I do use mindfulness, and I'm learning ACT - but again - it's another tool in the box, not the "final solution."  We each have to chase our own way, find what makes us who we are, and feed that.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

I relate to about 80% of Wildflower's symptoms.  Not that I had them all at once, mind.  And the ones I didn't have, I've helped loved ones with.  I'm not a typical CT or PWS, but I'm probably always going to be sensitive to psych meds.

"The Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris, about ACT (Acceptance and Commitment) therapy addresses this.  I'm not saying I've mastered it, come and get it.  I'm just saying - it addresses this discontent, this forever empty, of wandering around wondering why you lost so much, and what was the point of that?  

It's that old Serenity prayer thing.  Change what you can, accept what you can't.  Pray to know the difference.

I would say BTDT, you are right on the money when you say:  

What do you think?

I think it could be yet another withdrawal symptom.  And a darned dangerous one, as it can be self fulfilling.

When "false thoughts" and "Neuro feelings" arise, you've got lots of options.  You can follow them down the dark rabbit hole into madness.  You can reach out for help.  You can challenge them (this takes a really strong, usually healthy mind).  You can ignore them and distract them.

Which wolf is stronger?  The one you feed.

I hope I didn't step out of line posting here - I do feel your agony, your despair - but I also know - I cannot follow you there, because my health depends on it.  

Believe me, I'm not a user of CBT, I'm well beyond that.  I do use mindfulness, and I'm learning ACT - but again - it's another tool in the box, not the "final solution."  We each have to chase our own way, find what makes us who we are, and feed that.

I don't think it is up there with running the car into a cement or other dangerous issues presented in wd.  Annoying bothersome pain in the butt that needs to be looked at closely and dismantled... :) it is odd how we are complete opposites on how to approach it... I want to know where it came from take it down brick by brick....some times... other times I just want to stop it... I generally do one then work on the other. Both are interesting to me all kinds of tools for sure the more functional tools the better.  

As for this 

"- I do feel your agony, your despair - but I also know - I cannot follow you there, because my health depends on it.  "

Maybe you mean somebody else as I was not feeling agony or despair I was recalling it. 

always protect yourself it is your job.... 

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85

• 1 year later...

I realize that this thread hasn't been posted on in over a year but the support that I saw that you had for each other made me feel supported too and I wanted Wildflower to know that her intention in this thread worked for me. 

I hope that all of you are progressing well in your healing process. I have just started on my journey as of June 1 and it is hard to find stories of other people that have had to cold turkey their meds. I have found some and they give me hope. To see the strength that everyone on this forum has, both the people tapering and the ones who have cold turkeyed, helps me to be strong and know that I can get through this nightmare as well.

As Wildflower said and I have to agree Marine Boot Camp was a party compared to withdrawal from these drugs.

Peace, healing, and hugs to all.

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

tntd, good luck on your journey. I seldom post in this forum any more, but still receive notifications, and your post caught my eye. I am now right at 23 months off, and still have akathisia, insomnia, and quite a few other symptoms. I've also seen quite a few improvements in some symptoms. The intensity of the akathisia is perhaps 25% better, and the insomnia has gone from waking every 30-60 minutes to oftentimes every 2 hours. Rarely, I may sleep 3 or even 4 hours. It is (or can be) a long, slow process. I can see how it would make Marine Boot Camp look like a party.

Keep in mind that many do seem to notice an increase of symptoms (commonly at about the 4-6 month mark), and do not get discouraged if this happens to you. It will eventually lift. Some fit the "windows and waves" pattern, and others do not. I think my pattern has been more one of gradual improvement with some pretty major setbacks along the way. I have some occasional better times too (perhaps an average of about 3-4 half days and 1 or 2 full days in a 2-month time period)--not what I would really consider a "window", but I suppose that depends on your definition. Again, good luck in your journey!

Thanks luv2knit,

Thank you for your response. I'm sorry to hear that you are still struggling so much at 23 months. I experienced severe akathisia and I know that it is no fun at all, my heart goes out to you.

Thank you for the encouragement and the pattern of 4-6 months warning. I can't imagine things getting worse than they are right now but then I am still early on in the journey so I'm thinking even 4-6 months out a bad wave may be less than what I am experiencing now. I have noticed though that every time things go backwards it seems like things will never get better and it is easy to get dicouraged. I'm pretty much housebound and hypersensitive to most everything. Distraction is my saving grace. Having people respond is always great too :)

I hope that you will continue to improve. Thank you for the message of hope and for your kind words, they really do help.

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

Yes... distraction is definitely key! I have the hypersensitivities as well. I do find that when I go through an especially hard time ("wave"--if you will) it often leads to an improved baseline, so perhaps that is something to look forward to!

I hope you are right and the baseline is improved. 

I'm actually feeling pretty good at the moment. I had a bad anxious mood swinging start to the morning but I used my Alpha-Stim and felt better. Coincidence or causitive I don't know.

When I'm feeling better like I am right now I find I want to go out and do things. For example we need to do some shopping. I've read so much about people over doing it when they feel good though that I think I will currently stay at home and just enjoy feeling a lot less anxious. Maybe it will last longer that way???

It's funny because this morning when I was feeling really bad I was wondering if it was just me doing it to myself so I wouldn't have to do anything. Creating my own secondary anxiety if you will. Now I don't think so because I really want to go out. I just know I am still really hypersensitive and stores are crazy with their sounds, and light, and movement all around!!

Yesterday was really bad and I was really discouraged. It was so nice to hear from you. I hope that you will find some windows to enjoy. I don't know which is better, getting waves and windows or steadily going forward but slowly. I suppose they both have their pros and cons.

Hugs

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy