Ohio Lawsuit Seeks to Put Forced Psychiatry on Trial

UnfoldingSky

http://www.madinamerica.com/2014/12/patients-lawsuit-claims-psychiatric-diagnosis-treatment-fraud-malpractice-torture/?loggedout=true

December 2, 2014

The Ohio State Department of Mental Health, two state hospitals, state psychiatrists, and various other government agencies have been accused of “false imprisonment, medical malpractice, assault, battery, torture, and intentional infliction of mental distress” in a 140-page affidavit filed in the Ohio court of civil claims by John J. Rohrer. Rohrer has been held against his will in a psychiatric hospital and forcibly drugged for 5 years and, according to the allegations, it is that which constitutes false imprisonment and torture under federal law.

“It has been known at all relevant times that there is no blood test, no neuro-imaging, no genetic, laboratory or other testing that will validly and reliably diagnose what is being called schizophrenia, schizo-affective, or bi-polar disorder,” states the affidavit. “It has been known at all relevant times that there is no evidence that the brains of people who have not been labeled ‘mentally ill’ are different from the brains of those with a schizophrenic, schizo-affective, or bi-polar label provided that the latter group have never used pharmaceutical products.”

More at above link.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Also, so as not to alarm everyone here, what they are saying about the brains of people with those diagnoses whom have been exposed to drugs being different is very likely about tardive dyskinesia.  (And probably only serious cases of it, as I have what likely is a mild case, have had scans and have been told I have no damage. )  It isn't likely to be about withdrawal, as far as I am aware they haven't found consistent differences in the brains of people who have severe withdrawal.

This sounds like it might turn out to be a landmark case if it goes anywhere. 

For anyone who is interested there are also links in the comments regarding how you can help free this man. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

I need to put a warning on this, please don't look at the link if you are in a bad way.   Just to reiterate the above too, this isn't about withdrawal.

Also, it's likely this man is still on drugs, since he's being held still.  I've read of cases of TD clearing up when drugs are removed, including a severe case where someone had it for seventeen months after being off the offending drugs and it stopped abruptly. 

A friend of mine also had a really severe case of TD, he had been given pretty well every psych drug going over the course of two decades.  He couldn't tolerate most of them (likely because he couldn't digest them properly) wound up with one of the most grueling drug situations i've ever heard of, tons of problems...Later on though he was on a benzo as they'd messed with his sleep and he thought the benzo helped the TD but after a while a doctor took him off it and the movements decreased very sharply.

So even if you have a severe case of TD please don't assume from this that it can't get better.

I will add that my dad had a severe head injury that especially affected him psychiatrically (his left frontal area was especially injured). He ended up on Geodon and his TD wasn't recognized as his slow loss of ability to walk, feed self, etc. was attributed to the head injury. Finally a country doctor realized what was going on and switched him to Lamictal and he recovered quite a bit of his physical abilities, just had a bit of a lip twitch sometimes and some problems that were possibly just age and head injury related.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks for that, that will help a lot of people to know.  Glad to hear that doctor was able to sort out what was going on for your Dad.

I know someone with a head injury and over time they have recovered so much that their damage actually no longer shows up on scans.  It's pretty amazing, his head injury was very severe and he was not even expected to survive it let alone come back from it as much as he did.  Now very few people who didn't know him when this happened even believe it happened (which frustrates him to no end.)  He still has some residual issues but the degree to which he did recover is simply phenomenal.   It's really quite amazing how much the brain can overcome.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy