Phil

N-acetylcysteine (NAC)

voyteck

@TheWayBack I understand NAC helped you in some ways. But did it help your akathisia?

puthappinessfirst

Any other updates on this supplement? Love to give it a go, maybe. 

Ryder

Give it as much go as you like. Say goodbye to the person you know, once you take it.

Pray when you try get off of it as well. 

puthappinessfirst
50 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Give it as much go as you like. Say goodbye to the person you know, once you take it.

Pray when you try get off of it as well. 

It obviously made you worse, huh?

Ryder

Yes and I reported the doctor for prescribing it. Once I was on it, I started buying other supplements to get off it. 

Why would you try something that’ll make you worse than now. Do yourself a favour.

SkyStreamer

I just had a few questions for those of you who have used n-acetylcysteine for any extended period?

1) Some categorize n-acetylcysteine as a supplement, and others categorize it as a medication? Do you know which it is?

2) Do you still use this? And, if so, in what amount?

3) When during the day is the ideal time(s) to take this? 

4) Is it ok to take around the same time I take my AD?

5) Can you become addicted to or dependent on n-acetylcysteine?

6) If you stop using it, would you have to taper off it, much like we do ADs?

@Altostrata - I'd love to hear your answers to these questions, since you seemed to benefit from n-acetylcysteine for a period of time.

Altostrata

Everything I know about this supplement is posted in this topic. I took it many years ago. I don't remember the details anymore.

Whatever you try, try a very small amount first to see what effect it has. Do not continue if the effect is unpleasant.

gardenlady
On 2/9/2019 at 3:08 AM, Ryder said:

Can I just say, I took NAC about 2.5 years ago. I was on Zoloft and Clonazepam and i was able to drive.

Once i started NAC, yes it really took the burden off my withdrawal symptoms. But, I eventually stopped driving because of it. I wouldn't wish NAC on anybody my cognition and concentration just went funny.

Also it has a really short half life, I took it up to 3xtimes in a day at one stage, that is including before bed.

Do you recall what dosage you took?  

Faithgrl

Ok you guys, I tried NAC again due to seeing a naturopath and having allergic conjunctivitis during winter. I lasted 2.5 months before coming off about a week ago. Here is my take 

1) Some categorize n-acetylcysteine as a supplement, and others categorize it as a medication? Do you know which it is? NOPE

2) Do you still use this? And, if so, in what amount? It was Biomedica NAC, and I was taking about 1/3 measuring spoon that came with the jar. The measuring spoon was pretty small, so I reckon I was taking 1/4 of a teaspoon, twice a day. Almost a large pinch. 

3) When during the day is the ideal time(s) to take this? Morning and lunchtime. 

4) Is it ok to take around the same time I take my AD? I have been off AD for 2-3 years now. 

5) Can you become addicted to or dependent on n-acetylcysteine? No. I came off completely overnight and it was fine. 

6) If you stop using it, would you have to taper off it, much like we do ADs? No. I came off about a week ago when I started reacting to it on a sustained basis, with scalp eczema (which was weeping and not healing despite having cortisone pour on it every night) and increasing anxiety. Saying that, it did kill my sugar cravings as well as help me work ALOT better. Now I am back to feeling slightly down here and there, but the eczema is almost 80-90% healed. It also helped with the allergic conjunctivitis initially. So for me, I saw initial benefits, then it went backwards such that the reactions outweigh the benefits. Back to just cold-turkeying sugar (lol) and putting some music on when I feel down...