ViiBryd (vilazodone), a new SSRI

serotonin

The newiest anti depressent which also promises low to no sexual side effect, what do everyone here think?

The newiest anti depressent which also promises low to no sexual side effect, what do everyone here think?

You know, it's late, so I'll just say this: psychiatry excels at promises, but following through on them? Uh, not so much.

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

I think it means even more money for the drug manufacturers.

Charter Member 2011

I just read up on this med, and apparently it will be the new drug that drug reps will be touting, as Lexapro goes generic next year. I think it's made by the same company as Lexapro.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

• Administrator

I'm sure it's the same cr*p in a new capsule. If you want to be a guinea pig, be my guest.

No doubt in a year we'll be hearing the same side effects, sexual dysfunction, and withdrawal stories.

From http://chipur.com/2011/03/01/viibryd-a-new-antidepressant-but-anything-exciting/ , a blog by a therapist:

"....Oh, did I mention that Abilify is a 5-HT1A receptor partial agonist – just like Viibryd? So it appears as though Viibryd was designed to handle the work of two medications.

Risks and Side Effects

As with most any med for an emotional and mental health disorder, Clinical Data states, “The mechanism of the antidepressant effect of Viibryd is not fully understood.” Go figure.

I’m not going to get into the specific details regarding risks and side effects. Instead – click here to read Viibryd’s medication guide, and click here to read Viibryd’s prescribing information.

I will, however, make three comments…

• Viibryd is touted as having fewer sexual side effects than other antidepressants. (here’s a link to my first in a series on antidepressants and sexual side effects)
  • I’m concerned about the following effects of activation of 5-HT1A receptors – increased impulsivity, inhibition of penile erection (I thought there were supposed to be fewer sexual side effects); and impairment of cognition, learning, and memory.
  • If Viibryd and Abilify are both 5-HT1A receptor partial agonists, do the risks and side effects of Abilify need to be considered?
...."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

It's on the market after 2 8-week (that's EIGHT WEEKS) studies showing efficacy.

Folks, before you start a topic like this, please do a little Googling first and post some facts from an authoritative source. Google and you shall find.

From Medscape http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/736188:

FDA Approves Vilazodone to Treat Major Depressive Disorder in Adults

Neil Osterweil

January 24, 2011 (UPDATED January 31, 2011) — The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved vilazodone tablets (Viibryd, Clinical Data, Inc) for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults.

Vilazodone is the first approved drug that is both a combination selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) and a partial agonist of serotonergic (5HT1A) receptors. Its mechanism of action "is not fully understood but is thought to be related to its enhancement of serotonergic activity in the central nervous system through selective inhibition of serotonin reuptake," according to a press release from Clinical Data, which holds worldwide marketing rights for the drug.

In 2 randomized, double-blind trials in adults with MDD, vilazodone 40 mg once daily was shown to be significantly superior to placebo at improving depressive symptoms, as measured by a mean change in the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale total score from baseline to week 8. Patients in the study were titrated up to the 40-mg dose during the course of 2 weeks.

In safety studies involving 2177 patients diagnosed with MDD, the most common adverse events were diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and insomnia. In all, 7.1% of patients who received vilazodone discontinued treatment because of an adverse reaction compared with 3.2% of control patients. The drug was not associated with change in body weight at 8 weeks, and there were no reported drug-related abnormalities in hepatic or cardiac parameters or vital signs, the company says.

Reported adverse effects on sexual function included decreased libido in 4% compared with in less than 1% of control patients, abnormal orgasm (3% vs 0%), delayed ejaculation (2% vs 0%), and erectile dysfunction (2% vs 1%).

The drug will be dispensed in 10-, 20-, and 40-mg tablets, with planned availability in the second quarter of 2011. The recommended dose is 40 mg once daily, titrated upward to that dose by starting with an initial dose of 10 mg once daily for 7 days, followed by 20 mg once daily for an additional 7 days, and then increased to 40 mg once daily. It should be taken with food to achieve adequate drug concentrations. When treatment is discontinued, the dose should be reduced gradually.

As with other antidepressants, the labeling will carry a boxed warning about increased risk for suicidality and suicidal behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults, the company says.

Because controlled human data regarding vilazodone use during pregnancy are lacking, it should be used in pregnant women only if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks. Similarly, there are no human data concerning vilazodone concentrations in breast milk, so women taking vilazodone should breast-feed only if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks.

The safety and efficacy of vilazodone in pediatric patients have not been studied, but for geriatric use, no dose adjustment is recommended based on age. Although no dose adjustment is recommended in patients with mild, moderate, or severe renal impairment, or in patients with mild or moderate hepatic impairment, vilazodone has not been studied in patients with severe hepatic impairment.

More information is available on the FDA Drug Web site.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

how does work viiBryd? killing nerves receptors and their consequences

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

• Administrator

The usual hormonal disruption.

Just another antidepressant... more money for them... more misery for anyone who takes it. As soon as one goes generic, another one with a different name will pop up.

If people will begin to get the message and stop being duped into purchasing them because it's, "new and WONDERFUL", the drug companies will have to look elsewhere to make their billions.

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

And a hybrid of an SSRI and Abilify -- oh joy!!

Does anyone else find the name to be icky? It sounds like a collision of "hybrid" and "vibrator" which is, of course, what it's touted to be (that is, a "sex-friendly" antidepressant that's a hybrid of two meds). And considering how female sexual dysfunction is such an easy target for big pharma and may only get easier if the proposed female sexual disorders make it into the DSM V (see here), can we expect this med to magically get approval for a new indication re female sexual dysfunction (female orgasm dysfunction, low libido, etc) to "grow the brand" even more?

Wow, I'm getting so good at this I should interview for Pfizer!

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Good luck on the interview... once they know your background and thoughts on the subject, you'll be hired in no time! They are going to immediately team you up with the supervisor of the Vibrator Department.

Charter Member 2011

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, totally!

What I think about ViiBryd is that

WHO THE HE LL EVER CAME UP WITH THE IDEA THAT SCREWING AROUND WITH THE DELICATE AND INDESCRIBABLY COMPLEX CHEMISTRY OF THE MAMMALIAN NERVOUS SYSTEM, EVOLVED OVER BILLIONS OF YEARS,

BY INTRODUCING CHEMICALS MADE FROM PETROLEUM,

FOR PROFIT

COULD POSSIBLY EVER EVER EVER BE A GOOD IDEA?!!!

Can you spell "hubris"?

Admittedly, I bought into it myself once upon a time. But I got smart later. 20 years and a ruined life later.

It's all about the profits. I'd say drug company profits, but it's really all about huge massive greedy corporations of various sorts, drug companies being one of them. It's got nothing to do with healing or helping human beings.

That's what -I- think.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Word is all kinds of people are jumping from Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft, etc. to ViiBryd to get away from those oh-so-rare and trivial sexual side effects of old-school SSRIs.

As I recall, when Lexapro was released, it was also trumpeted as having a lower incidence of sexual dysfunction.

Expect to see the reports of vicious ViiBryd side effects hitting the news shortly.

To me, ViiBryd is a composite of "vibrant," "breeder," and "hybrid." And maybe "Febreeze," too.

• Moderator Emeritus

And maybe "Febreeze," too.

snort!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hey all i went to the doctor an he give me one month supply of viibryd. Right now i am locking it in he cabnite but is sooo tempting. Yummy

Hey all i went to the doctor an he give me one month supply of viibryd. Right now i am locking it in he cabnite but is sooo tempting. Yummy

It's dark chocolate... right??

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

Just to be absolutely clear, this new poison errrr pharmaceutical does NOT claim to increase libido. It claims to have a "lower" incidence of sexual side effects than other SSRIs.

Meaning, if 4 out of 100 people experience sexual dysfunction on ViiBryd, and you are one of the 4, it's no better than any other SSRI.

When celeexa came out sexual side effect was reported at 2% but the reality is 50% report sexual dysfunction!

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Wonder what's going on with ViiBryd now.

Doesn't sound like it's going to go far...

NEW YORK — Shares of drugmaker Forest Laboratories Inc. fell Monday after a Wall Street analyst downgraded the company's shares due to several expiring drug patents and low expectations for newer products.

Goldman Sachs analyst Gregory Waterman downgraded Forest shares to "Sell" from "Neutral," citing lost product revenue and challenges to new drugs.

Waterman sees similar challenges for the company's antidepressant Viibryd, which competes in a pharmaceutical marketplace already crowded with similar medications.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44582429/ns/health/#.ToCX4uxJmZY

A few reports from depressionforums:

The problem? Side effects. The drug had...

- Sexual side effects. (maybe better feeling to start off with)

- Weight Gain and or bloating. My belly ballooned up so fast I looked much like Tom Cruise from Tropic Thunder. I went to a party last night and the first thing my best friend looked at was my belly. He was polite however. I noticed there were a few others that mentioned this same side effect here on Chipur.

- Feeling Stoned, medicated, dizzy, and just not right. I feel OK in bed on this drug, but anywhere else and I just feel off.

- Lethargic! I haven't been able to work out for 2 months. My limbs feel like heavy weights. No energy what so ever.

- There is also a strange vision problem. I see little black crawly things out the side of my vision at times. Really odd.

- More sensitive to pain. I notice that I have these little pains in teeth, lungs, back, etc. Not sure what the $%$$ is going on there.

OK....so there is actually more that I could go into. Viibryd started off quite nice. A little calming sensation and what felt like a mini brain massage. Body felt nice, etc. Not for long.

or me the side effects have been dizziness, and loss of ability to concentrate for periods each day, a feeling of unease, lack of desire to get up and go forward, feeling of heaviness in my limbs, lack of strength and energy when exercising, sleeping deeply with numerous dreams, problems with loose stools, lack of social interest, sexual side effects, difficulty and delayed orgasm, inner anger.

Hi Greg, I've had a similar experience with Viibryd, it just wasn't as good as I hopped.

-Sexual Side Effects (Slightly better than other SSRIs, but not completely gone like I had hopped

-OCD (This medication doesn't help nearly as much as others with regards to OCD, so if you have it, it may not work as well)

-Weight Gain & Bloating. Yeah I had some of this, not as bad as others, but there was a bit of bloat. The weight gain wasn't so bad, but I was hardly eating and not losing a pound which made no sense.

-Stoned, medicated and dizzy. Yes but far worse at the beginning.

-Lethargic, my energy to do things was worse

-Vision, didn't seem to be effected much

-Feeling awkward in public, not wanting to socialize as much. Maybe this was the depression

All in all, just not so great. If you've been waiting for better results, not sure if this one is going to do it for you. Basically i'm screwed may have to go back to older medication

http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/topic/67543-my-experience-with-viibryd/

• Administrator

Oh, dear. And after all that hype about lack of sexual side effects.

Oh, dear. And after all that hype about lack of sexual side effects.

LOL! Exactly what I was thinking. Big pharma strikes (out) again.

At the very least, it's nice to be armed with knowledge about how f*cked up psychiatry and pharma is so I and everyone else on this board can bypass this nonsense. Sounds like we dodged a major bullet on this one!

"Sex-friendly antidepressant" my ass!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

My psych asked me to look at info on this for him a few months ago. He could find NO PI in all of the info left by rep. I wondered ... does the PDMA restricting promo items also give them no reason to leave full PI w docs? Used to be included w each pen, pad, toy, vibrator.

The 8 week studies coupled w 'may take 4-6 weeks to show improvement...' struck me also.

Stahl called this a SPARI--Serotonin partial agonist and reup inhibitor. SSRI + what's the anxiety med that tanked? BUSPAR/ buspirone.

New dx: iatrogenic schizoorgasmaphobia--fear of the inability to know if ones' orgasms are real or a product of the imagination induced by _________.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

As with most any med for an emotional and mental health disorder, Clinical Data states, “The mechanism of the antidepressant effect of Viibryd is not fully understood.” Go figure.

I’m not going to get into the specific details regarding risks and side effects. Instead – click here to read Viibryd’s medication guide, and click here to read Viibryd’s prescribing information.

I will, however, make three comments…

• Viibryd is touted as having fewer sexual side effects than other antidepressants. (here’s a link to my first in a series on antidepressants and sexual side effects)
  • I’m concerned about the following effects of activation of 5-HT1A receptors – increased impulsivity, inhibition of penile erection (I thought there were supposed to be fewer sexual side effects); and impairment of cognition, learning, and memory.
  • If Viibryd and Abilify are both 5-HT1A receptor partial agonists, do the risks and side effects of Abilify need to be considered?
...."

So close to home, I want to cry... Dang.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Alex,

{{{HUGS}}}

Have you read Freebird's info yet? You are both young. I hope that you glean some hope from her experience/return of function.

Not sure how to put this any way but bluntly.... I never did have much going on in that area even before ADs. Could take it or leave it and usually left it. I attribute alot of that to family attitude/upbringing (and im not even Catholic. No offense meant to anyone!)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

thanks bar,

i was on lexapro and abilify for years. years of impulsiveness and impotence... the damage, all kinds of damage/total, still unrepaired. sometimes it's abit much to be reminded of.

thank you for your hugs and your suggestion.

things do get better and I was raised Catholic (part of the problem actually, no offense to anyone else either!)

thnx again

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

New dx: iatrogenic schizoorgasmaphobia--fear of the inability to know if ones' orgasms are real or a product of the imagination induced by _________.

Excellent! I think we have a topic for new DSM diagnoses somewhere here -- check this out: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/665-pick-the-real-dsm-diagnosis/page__p__6119__hl__diagnosis__fromsearch__1#entry6119

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Surprise! Decreased sexual side effects was a big fat lie.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

FDA Slams Viibryd: Better Sexual Profile Claim “Not Supported by the Data”

http://carlatpsychiatry.blogspot.com/2011/10/fda-slams-viibryd-better-sexual-profile.html

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my first encouter with ViiBryd last night...

I'm being treated for bipolar disorder (type I), have been for eighteen years (well, depression anyway - seven years ago finally determined I had been misdiagnosed) and thought about asking my doctor for his opinion of ViiBryd, maybe giving it a try (currently on Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Buspar, Abilify; been on some or most of those for fifteen+ years, just not quite satisfied).. My doctor, incidentally, also has bipolar disorder so I value his personal insight as well as his professional acumen. His is a little different from mine though, type II - or as he lightheartedly calls it, "the GOOD kind." However after last night I think I'm not that interested.

I'm a Paramedic, ran a call late last night on a patient who has bipolar disorder, is being weaned off Celexa and titrating up on ViiBryd, takes Wellbutrin and one clonazepam before bed (thinks it's a sleeping pill), three days now since initiating med changes. ANYway.. Nausea for two, and he was notably hypomanic when I arrived on scene. Patient's wife later described erratic behavior and outbursts of anger: one in particular, directed at teenage family member in which the patient called the boy "worthless" that had preceeded patient's leaving the house, which was when his wife called 911 and waited for the police to arrive (standard procedure on psych calls) and then the ambulance. His wife stated that the patient had been self-medicating with Vicodin throughout the day in order to alleviate his depression, which he did not deny, and "talking crazy," saying things like "I don't care if I die."

We talked a while, I shared a very little bit of my experience just to establish that yes, I do know what he's dealing with, and then asked him how he was doing on the ViiBryd. He stated nausea was tolerable, worth it to him if would work; but, he said it made him feel "blank." Asked him to elaborate, and he described a feeling best described as "disassociation:" the definition of which is a "perceived detachment of the mind from the emotional state or even from the body. Dissociation is characterized by a sense of the world as a dreamlike or unreal place..." - Medicine.net. It should be noted that this patient's medications were being managed all along by a GP who recognized his limitations as a mental health care provider and had directed the patient to an appointment with a psychiatrist (in four days) for proper assessment; so, prescribing ViiBryd was seemingly his last ditch effort to effect some positive change. The man's not even been on a mood stabilizer - ever - for crying out loud; but since his chief complaint is refractory depression, that's what his General Practitioner was apparently aiming to treat and the fact that the patient has not been prescribed first-line meds for bipolar wouldn't likely change how he'd react to the antidepressant in terms of side effects, whether it was an adjunct treatment or stand-alone.

Of course it's going to be different for everyone, but I intend to read up on it some more and keep looking at other options in the meantime. I realize that this is not strictly a personal account and makes use of seconhand information, but I found it useful and thought i'd pass it along.

• Administrator

I sure wouldn't take anything with so little post-marketing track record.

Psychiatry thinks our brains are made of rubber. They're not. These drugs don't just bounce off our nervous systems.

Nice to see you here, Sydney. My, you're taking a lot of medications! Are you thinking of going off any of them?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy