Canadiangirl: 9 months off and dont know whats wrong

Canadiangirl

Having a really rough time at the moment. I weaned for about 10 months off of Celexa 1 mg a month. For the past few months I have been doing really well. So I decided to go back to College and I am 44 yrs old. Ever since the day before school started so last Sunday I have been a mess.My anxiety attacks are back with vengence. On Sat and Sun I even felt sorta numb on the left side (my leg, arm and my face feels funny but its not drooping or anything). I did experience 2 small strokes in my late 30s and we have no idea why ( we think it was the birth control meds). But i was so scared that on Sunday I sent 7 hrs at the hospital and they did blood work and a cat scan and didnt show anything new.( which is a blessing even though i did have acat scan yrs ago and the strokes were missed until the mri 5 months later.) I did see a neurologist on Monday and he ordered a mri in 2 weeks to double check things. I am shaky, lightheaded if I am in an upward position for longer than 2 hrs, tired and now my depression is back worrying so much about what is wrong. Please help me is this a very bad wave becaussse i cry about 3 times a day and dont even want to get out of bed.

I started ssris around 2000 sorry I cant remember exactly everything and when but i will try

Paxil from about 2000-2004 from 10 mg right up to 40 mg felt like it wasnt working

THen I have been on Celexa from 2004-2007, then well butrin and abilify was thrown in somewhere up until 2010

tried to c/t off celexa a few times could do it..

went on Cymbalta from about 2010-2012 then had gastric bypass surgery so i wasnt absorbing it very well

2012-2014 went back to celexa then slowing between july 2013 and april 2014 weaned about 1 mg a month

last dose taken was April 2014 And havent really felt that bad at all.. until recently 9 months out and wanted to start college i think this sent me into a wave...i suffered 2 strokes in the small part of my brain in around 2010 but they arent exactly sure when by the time we found them. I had c/t off my meds at that time and was given a triple dose of birth control pill to take for a few months ( so we think that could have caused them)..

I also keep getting these head whooshes that i havent felt ever I dont think. I wanna hope they r the neurotransmitters trying to fix themselves still but i am so lost right now.

I started ssris around 2000 sorry I cant remember exactly everything and when but i will try

Paxil from about 2000-2004 from 10 mg right up to 40 mg felt like it wasnt working

THen I have been on Celexa from 2004-2007, then well butrin and abilify was thrown in somewhere up until 2010

went on Cymbalta from about 2010-2012 then had gastric bypass surgery so i wasnt absorbing it very well

2012-2014 went back to celexa then slowing between july 2013 and april 2014 weaned about 1 mg a month

last dose taken was April 2014 And havent really felt that bad at all.. until recently 9 months out and wanted to start college i think this sent me into a wave...i suffered 2 strokes in the small part of my brain in around 2010 but they arent exactly sure when by the time we found them. I had c/t off my meds at that time and was given a triple dose of birth control pill to take for a few months ( so we think that could have caused them)..

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome To surviving antidepressants, Canadiangirl.

A moderator and/or administrator will come along soon to offer advice and guidance, but they'll need more information from you, such as; how long were you on Celexa, how many milligrams/what dose? Any other medications?

It's helpful to the moderators and others if you can create a signature like this: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

From my personal experience and reading it sounds like you're experiencing some pretty bad withdrawal symptoms, like the anxiety, whooshes, and even that wierd feeling of numbness... I only recently experienced that wierd feeling of numbness / weakness in my right leg during a particularly bad period of withdrawal recently. I also thought I might have had a stroke. It was numb and felt weak, but it wasn't actually numb or weak... If that makes any sense.

Also, withdrawal symptoms can be delayed and come several months after your last dose, and it seems that a stressor can set off a bad wave. Starting school may have been that stressor. It's not to say you won't be able to handle it, but it may explain why your symptoms suddenly appeared.

You'll get through this, and the people and information here will help you do it.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

I do get numbess and weakness and tingling and burning and other fun and wonderful symptoms. I believe it is all part of this withdrawal $&@&&&. Sorry you are being hit with it. Welcome and I hope you find the site useful. I certainly do.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Canadiangirl ,    

My w/d symptoms set in with a vengeance 9 months after tapering off Cymbalta , after 25 years on ssri's.    It seems  common for people like us who've been on them a long time.  

None of the sensations can kill you . . .   they're uncomfortable and unpleasant and will go away.     I'm happy for you that you found your way here. 

Best wishes ,    Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Canadiangirl, welcome to SA, the best place on the net for withdrawal and tapering support. 

Addax has pretty much covered it, you seem to be suffering from delayed withdrawal, we see

many people here suffering like you several months after a taper that was too fast or from

stopping cold turkey. I'm really sorry this has happened to you after tapering for 10 months, it is

tragic when you thought you were tapering slowly, 

Many of us find that fish oil helps with withdrawal symptoms, and magnesium. Magnesium glycinate

is gentler on the stomach and may be better for you with having the surgery in the past. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

You can read about withdrawal here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

There are many topics on things that people have found helpful, and those that make things worse

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

It is important to take care of yourself,  a good routine, good natural food without chemicals. Gentle exercise

daily such as walking outside in nature, fields, forests and beaches if they are close enough are especially

therapeutic. Half an hour strolling gently really does help.  And sleep if you can, go to bed and get up at the

same times every day. Your brain and nervous system are struggling and stability is the key to healing. 

I hope the scan is ok, let us know how it goes. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

It's so frustrating..you get those windows were you forget that you were fighting so much..then you get hit with a wave and I am constantly thinking I can't do this anymore..really plays games with ur head..did a lot of you out here have a bad wave at 9 months out..

Yep i agree with addax and mammaP

I did a 9 month taper and i note that we both went on these drugs about the same time. It is taking me a long time to recover. Our nervous system and brain has been left very impaired as such normal stressors can really cause a cognitive and cns implosion.  Starting school would do it. Just hang in there it will pass as the body settles down again. Dont what ever you do panic and go back on these drugs. 10 months is still early days i also enrolled for school but i did it through correspondence as there was no way i could even front up to a class at 10 months with all the uncontrollable sobbing i was doing. So in that respect you are doing better than me.

In time i feel my cns is strengthening  and it will for you too.

Hang in there its all wdl symptoms.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

It kills me how I forgot I was in withdraw for quite awhile..then u hit a really bad wave and sends me flying..I think because it's so intense and so draining...this lightheaded feeling and heart racing has made me want to stay in bed all week to try and rest to get through it..it's only been a week but now I have crazy thoughts like maybe I do need medication and stuff..really want those feelings to go away...crazy thoughts

• Moderator Emeritus

How have the last few days been CanadianGirl?

I have a different perspective to nz11.     If you want to continue your college course  etc , going through this withdrawal will make that impossible.

The only way to halt the withdrawal process is by reinstating  Celexa , or commencing another AD , getting stable again then tapering much more slowly.  

It is your choice.

Best    , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I have a different perspective to nz11.     If you want to continue your college course  etc , going through this withdrawal will make that impossible.

The only way to halt the withdrawal process is by reinstating  Celexa , or commencing another AD , getting stable again then tapering much more slowly.  

It is your choice.

Best    , Fresh

I am sorry Fresh that you don't see my perspective but i realize and accept you have a different perspective on this.

Your perspective may well be true for YOU.

Sadly i see your view as extremely defeatist.

In summary, here is my perspective:

1. We are capable of a lot more than we think we are. And sometimes the impossible is in fact possible.

2. The best way to halt wdl at 10months drug free, as i see it is to keep on banking drug free days. You are doing it. Ten months is early days. The brain is healing 24/7 and it is doing all it can, as best it can, and as fast as it can, to do it...it needs more time not another insult.

and regarding RI a different drug...don't even go there! you will break your brain's heart.

CG, For very personal reasons I have sent you an extensive pm on how the seemingly impossible is in fact possible.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

You're right nz11 . . . my perspective is right for me , as yours is for you.

Not everyone can afford , either financially or socially , to "step out" of their life and responsibilities for as long as a protracted withdrawal syndrome takes to resolve. It could be years.

One's approach needs to be guided by practicality.   

Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Yes you have brought up a vaild point ...what about those who have serious responsibilities.....my heart goes out to them.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Please note that these strategies are very risky in the sense that it's anyone's guess what would happen 10 months after stopping. Reinstatement might work or you might have a significant adverse reaction given your nervous system us clearly destabilised now.

Have you tried fish oil and magnesium? You might also want to read through our symptoms forum for non drug ways of treating symptoms

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Welcome, Canadiangirl.

My belief is that stress can "revive" withdrawal symptoms.

Please do try the magnesium and fish oil. Magnesium is naturally calming.

You might also want to take up meditative breathing, to calm your nervous system down in times of stress.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Actually abit better..I think the wave is lifting..I did start fish oil for the last 2 days and I don't know if it's in my head but I actually feel better..but of course this morning I woke up with a huge head cold and feel like it's headed to my chest..really..lol..my anxiety has been better to just still nervous for my head mri Saturday night at 7:30 ..I'll get through it though not my first rodeo..thanks for wondering how I am doing..it's all the support out here that's getting me through

So need words of encouragement today..headed in 11 hrs for my brain MRI to see if I had another stroke a few weeks ago. I absolutely dislike that machine. It amps up my anxiety so bad and to top it off I got a bad head cold a couple of days ago. So my ears are plugged which is sending my balance off and I have to lay flat on my back and still in this machine with my head braced down. Seriously I am a wreck right now. I can't lay on any angle and not cough every 5 minutes. So the racing heart has already started and I am shaky. Help me

I also keep getting these head whooshes that i havent felt ever I dont think. I wanna hope they r the neurotransmitters trying to fix themselves still but i am so lost right now.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

I have the adrenaline head whooshes starting with 3:30am cortisol wake up call. They go on all day until 6pm, then everything starts all over again at 3:30am. It's withdrawal, which gives me hope that it will eventually go away. You will be fine. Try to accept how you are feeling and not fight it. Take deep breaths. You are going to be fine.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

(((Hugs)))

I am wondering if you could put off the MRI until your cold is better?  At least you wouldn't be dealing with the coughing, etc. on top of the other discomforts of having a MRI.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

I would but the doctor wanted it done within 2 weeks and we r at that time frame now..if I cancel they r booking into May now. It's crazy where I live to get tests done.

Hi, Canadiangirl. Just a few thoughts about school. I went back to school too, in the midst of late stage Effexor withdrawal. I have racing heart, anxiety, lethargy, insomnia, and the like. I have struggled mightily on a day to day basis to make it to class and do my assignments, but I have done it through force of will. Being with other people and being able to earn good grades has been good for me. Being tired and anxious has made it harder. I might even take a break and skip spring, returning in summer. You might want to give it a try and give yourself permission to drop out if it is too hard. If the rest of your life isn't too complicated and you have enough time to do school properly, it might actually help. I think overall it has helped me a lot.

Good luck with the mri. I hope you can lie still without coughing.

FYI, I was diagnosed with intractable epilepsy at the height of my withdrawal, but it was temporary, not the real disorder. The doctor didn't link it to the medication withdrawal, which is silly.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Hi, CG. Just wanted to stop by and wish you well. I am 6 months out from a much too fast (6 wks) taper off 100 mg. Zoloft. I'm not to the 9 month point yet, but I'm (hopefully) coming off a pretty bad wave at 6 months. I have heard 9 months is possible as well. I also have had numb sensations recently in my head and face. With your history, though, I don't blame you for being concerned. Good luck with your MRI!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

So sorry you are going through this. I have the head whooshing all day, starting at 3-4am. It starts to get better by 4pm, then subsides at 5pm and the whole cycle starts over again at 3-4am. It's WD adrenaline rushes, which will eventually go away, along with the anxiety. Recovered people attest to that. We have yo hold on to that truth. In the meantime, the best we can do is accept our WD symptoms knowing they're temporary. (((Hugs)))

Hello and welcome, Canadiangirl. You've gotten such great input and advice that I have nothing to add except that I am 47 years old and just passed my eight-month mark since getting off antidepressants. My own withdrawal seems to have gotten much after the six-month mark. Up until that point, I was feeling pretty confident that I was a member of the minority that could get off these meds easily.

A major stressor such as returning to school can definitely upset your apple cart. For me, a bad bout of the flu really knocked me for a loop.

I can't tell you what's going to happen to any of us, but we're going through some of the same things, so we're not alone.

Circa 1995 put on Paxil; Tried various meds over the years in an effort to get away from Paxil's side effects

06/29/13 Switched from 30mg Paxil to 10mg Lexapro

10/24/13 7.5mg Lexapro

12/01/13 6.25mg Lexapro

01/01/14 5mg Lexapro

03/01/14 3.75mg Lexapro

04/01/14 2.5mg Lexapro

05/01/14 1.25mg Lexapro

05/28/14 Med-Free

02/27/15 300mg Neurontin twice daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

May 2015: 600mg Neurontin twice daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

08/05/15: 600mg Neurontin twice daily, 30mg Paxil daily, .25mg to .50mg Xanax as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope the scan went ok for you and that you were able to stay calm, it isn't the best place to be when feeling rotten and coughing too.

You are doing well with recovery and getting some windows but I know the horror when  wave hits. Last week I had a day which was as bad as any thing I have felt with withdrawal. I was in a state and that panic came back with fear that it was not going to lift. Waves always seem to go on forever when actually they get shorter and less intense but they always feel like they are the worst! 

I hope you feel better soon and you recover from the cold too. Mamma Hugs

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks everyone the scan went fine. I will find out results in about a weeks time. I was able to lay through 20 mins and not even cough. Wow I surprise myself sometimes. But of course last night I felt crappy because of all the anxiety over the MRI and I have this head cold from hell. Everyone is so sick in my house right now. So hard to distinguish between withdraw and some symptoms of this cold so I am trying to ignore all of it. When I ignore my teenage girls they sometimes go away. That's what I am hoping for with these symptoms. (but usually the kids dont listen so I am sure this withdrawal won't either.

Happy to hear all went well. Sorry about my duplicate post. I'm not too "with it" these days.

Hey guys, 

My story is similar to some here, Came off Lexapro 9 months ago and thought for a long time that I was good to go.  lately anxiety and depression have been crazy.  Glad to hear some advice about windows and waves becasue I was seriously thinking about reinstating.  Seems thats not a guarantee at all.  Especially after nine months.  Canadian girl i feel you.  It's crazy to be this far out and start feelling bad.  I had no idea the struggle could be this hard.  

2002-2008 Lexapro 20 mg

2008- June 2016 Lexapro 10 mg

Jan-mar 2016 Welbutrin (cant remember dose, maybe 300)-did nothing, tapered off.

6-01-16-8-01-16 Viibryd(ugh)

For two months I was on Lexapro and Viibryd.  

8-1, bridged from lexapro to prozac

Hi Canadian girl. You kindly wrote on my thread so I thought I'd visit yours and say hello. Wishing you continued healing.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

So I went to the clinic because I have been sick for 2 weeks and I was trying to avoid an antibiotic. I have a double ear infection, chest infection and a sinus infection. So they gave me arithromicin antibiotic and after taking the double dose last night I had 3 big panic attacks and made me very anxious. Seriously only a few hrs after I took it. I hope this settles down. I have 4 more dishes to take. Has anyone else took this and it made them feel this way.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Canadiangirl ,  it's hard to know if the panic attacks were specifically from the antibiotic , or the withdrawal.    If they do come again , use all your ability to keep yourself calm , focus on breathing , do whatever you need to do to ride them out.  You do know they always pass , just like last night.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Really struggling right now and need encouragement. Almost 10 months off and I am considering asking my doctor for something to start taking. I feel like I am such a failure. I am hardly getting outta of bed the last 3 weeks. I feel bad for my family. What kind of mom stays in bed and is to lightheaded and anxious to do anything with their kids. I hate this feeling inside of me. I feel like I don't even want to go on with my life. I pray to god everyday to either help me get through this or take me. I am in so much misery I am crying while I type this. So sad inside everyday. When I wake up I can wait til I am tired enough to fall sleep again. Thats not the way to live.

Canadiangirl, this is not you, it's withdrawal. Try to hold on to that thought. You will get through this, even if it is hard. Do anything you can to be kind to your self. You will get better! Many hugs!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.