WDSurviving22: Need Help! (tapering paxil)

WDSurviving22

Greetings,

I have a question, but first my history. I went on paxil 3 years ago, but quit cold turkey after I had my first panic attack. I freaked out of course, and was checked into a pysch ward where I was put on benzos. Fast forward 2 years later, and I was forced cold turkey by my pysch doc. Here it is 7 months later, and im back on paxil, which I started when I was cold turkeyed. But my paxil causes anxiety and bad effects. My question is, is 7 months long enough during a valium ct to start tapering my paxil?

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Early March 2012- C/T paxil. Late March - Started Lexapro 10mg, Klonopin 0.5 x 3

February 2013 -Switched to Celexa 20 mg, Valium 10mg x 3

July 2014- Forced c/t off valium by Doc. Switched back to paxil.

March 20, 2015 - first 3.33% dose cut from 15mg to 14.5mg

April 1, 2015 - second cut down from 14.5mg to 14.2mg.

April 7, 2015 - third cut down from 14.2mg to 14.0mg

May, 2015 switched to manufacturered liquid paxil. Bad reaction.

Early June-Went down to 13.8

June to September- trying multiple methods.

October 2015- second attempt at compound. New pharmacy. Still feels like doses are all over the place.Symptoms are getting worse weekly/daily.

November 2016- started tapering again due to alcohol binge making 13.8 feel to strong, but it feels as if aNY cut even 0.1mg throws me into horrible withdrawal.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WDSurviving22

• scallywag

• dalsaan

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi WD

I have no idea to be honest..but hold on, there are other knowledgeable people here that will be along to help. Maybe introduce yourself in the introduction section of the site and put your drug history in your signature : http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/and people will best be able to help.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WD, welcome to SA. I am constantly amazed at the ignorance of psychiatrists who pull drugs forcing people to go cold turkey!  Paxil is a completely different drug and will not cushion any withdrawal, which is possibly what you are feeling now, plus possible side effects from the paxil.  I am out of my depth when it comes to benzo withdrawal so I am going to ask another mod to take a look who is very experienced with the mix of benzo and SSRI. In the meantime could you tell us a bit more? 

Do you have any pattern to your symptoms? Do you feel worse in the morning or later in the day? When do you take your paxil and what dose? 

Did you feel any withdrawal immediately after quitting the benzo and what doses were you taking? I'm sorry for all the questions but it will help to  see where the problem is, benzo withdrawal or paxil side effects which are also common.  

It will also help if you can put your drug history in your signature strip, we ask all members to do this and update it as changes are made. 

You can find instructions how to do that here....http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You are in the right place here and will get lots of help and support. 

About withdrawal syndrome  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WDSurviving. Welcome to the forum.

I'm so sorry for what you've been through at the hands of what sounds to be a particularly clueless and/or arrogant doc.

It would help if you could answer the questions MammaP asked, and if I knew what dose of Paxil you are taking, and what kinds of symptoms you are having right now, and how severe they are compared to seven months ago.  Those things would give me an idea if it might be safe to try reducing your Paxil now. 

I am inclined to say that it's probably okay to try a very small reduction, particularly if you're on a high dose now, but you'll need to do some preparation first. You'll need a liquid form so you can cut by small enough increments to be safe. Before making any reductions, please read through our materials in the Tapering section as well, particularly this: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (If you're going to cut Paxil while still in benzo withdrawal, you should make your first cut less than 10% probably, more like 5%, unless you're on a particularly high dose.)

If you try a very small reduction and your symptoms worsen, you'll know what you're up against, and you will have reduced a small enough amount that you won't crash and burn.

If you do taper down your Paxil dose this soon after a benzo CT, you'll need to do it extra slowly and be prepared to stop and hold your taper any time your symptoms flare up.

Please add your drug history to your sig line as soon as you get the chance:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ 

You might find some of the ideas in our Symptoms and Self Care section to be helpful.  Check that out when you get the chance.

Again, welcome to the forum. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. Im Dani. My history is as follows: Started paxil Feb 2012. Took it for 3 weeks then cold turkeyed. Had no clue about paxil withdrawal, so felt like I was going crazy. Doc rx'd me Lexapro 10mg, and klonopin .5 x 3 tpd. 8 months later I switched to Celexa 20mg, and valium 10mg x 3. I was forced cold turkey by my doctor in July of 2014. Now 8 months later in March of 2015 Im starting to taper my paxil 15mg that I started at the same time of my c/t.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Early March 2012- C/T paxil. Late March - Started Lexapro 10mg, Klonopin 0.5 x 3

October 2015- second attempt at compound. New pharmacy. Still feels like doses are all over the place.Symptoms are getting worse weekly/daily.

November 2016- started tapering again due to alcohol binge making 13.8 feel to strong, but it feels as if aNY cut even 0.1mg throws me into horrible withdrawal.

Im so sorry I havent respond. I have been busy dealing with the benzo withdrawal. Im currently on 15mg, and planning on cutting 0.5 mg every couple of weeks. But im definitely open to suggestions, since I have no idea what im doin lol.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  WDSurviving , welcome to the site.

Try going to the section called Tapering , and read "Why Taper by 10%"  as Rhiannon suggests.  There are also specific threads on tapering benzos and paxil.

You're in very good company here , and will get lots of support , advice and information.

If you click FOLLOW THIS TOPIC at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

Good to have you on board.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WD,

I joined your two introduction topics together, its one intro/update thread per member.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

If you are still experiencing symptoms from benzo withdrawal, its not a good idea to start another taper yet. Are you having any symptoms at the moment?

If you have been feeling well with low or no symptoms for at least 2 months, then its probably safe to try a small cut of your paxil dose. 

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Here is our paxil tapering thread:

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Thank you for filling in your signature.  Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Well tbh idk which is from what. I have anxiety, agoraphobia, also freezing spells(coldness), but the past two days when I take my paxil about 4 hours later I get dizzy, nauseated, panicky, and also feel like im way to high.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

To answer MammaP's question, I take my paxil at night at 5:30pm. I usually have increased anxiety for 2-3 hours then it subsides, and then I feel like you normally should on an AD. Around 5-6 months after my cold turkey, those 2-3 hr anxiety disappeared, then I tried to quit smoking, which thru my cns out of wack even more. So ive been in a wave ever since. Also my 2-3 hour paxil anxiety came back, ive become agoraphobic again like at the start. Also, like I stated in the post above on March 19, 2015 when I took my paxil about 2-3 hours later I got panic, and felt like fire going down my spine. I managed to calm myself down. Then on the 20th I took it, same effects just with extreme nausea, and feeling way to high.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WD, thank you for answering the questions. It does seem that paxil is activating for you and producing some side effects on top of the benzo withdrawal. 

You will need to be very careful though so as not to make anything worse. Side effects are dose related and tend to improve as the dose gets lower but it is always best to take it slowly because going too fast to try and ease the side effects causes withdrawal which can be much worse, especially with benzo withdrawal too. 

I would do as Rhiannon suggested and get your doctor to prescribe the liquid paxil so that you can make small cuts, and read the topic that Petunia posted for you on tapering paxil. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/  We recommend tapering no more than 10% of the current dose with 4 weeks or more between cuts. This allows the brain to adjust to the lower dose before another cut. 

If you feel any worsening of symptoms then stop tapering because your nervous system will be struggling to cope. 

Keep us updated on what you decide and how it is going.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you so much for responding. I tried to do 10% but I could tell instantly, so I went to a 3.33% drop, and im still feeling it, tho probably less so than the 10%. I had so much hope, but it seems to be going away. Gotta get it back. Lol

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Give yourself some time to stabilise, it will take time. Sadly the valium CT is still complicating things. I wish doctors would wise up and stop doing this to people. Giving them drugs and telling them all will be fine, then yanking them away again and adding more it's just cruel beyond words!  :angry:

2002  effexor. 

I so very much agree. Thank you so much for all your ressponses. I so very much appreciate it. I will check in daily with updates.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Dont want to jinx myself, but took my second 14.5 dose, non of the symptoms I mentioned happen tonight. Im hoping this continues.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Morning 2 after my second dose of 14.5. Anxiety, headpressure, dizziness, intrusive thoughts. Looks like Ill be holding for a while.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's going to be confusing, because of the benzo withdrawal, which after a CT takes a couple of years for most people to get over completely. (On average. Some recover faster, some take longer, and you never know which you will be.)

So you will probably continue to have waves of symptoms which may be due to a change you made the day before but also may be due to something you changed a week before or may just be random windows and waves due to benzo withdrawal (which is typically very roller coaster, you feel better and think you're done, then it hits again, etc.)

Sounds like you're taking a sensible and cautious approach. That's the main thing. Take it slow, give your body time to adapt to any changes that you make. You can do this.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you very much. Yes I very much want off this stuff, but at a very sensible pace so I dont get very worse.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

3rd night of 14.5 other than a little shakey, i feel great, but mornings are still bad so like I said before gonna hold for a while.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• 2 weeks later...

This rage is unbelievable. I'm scared of losing my mind.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• 5 months later...

Need help. It's been a few months since I posted on here, and a lot has happened since. I started tapering in march. I started at 15 MG, and tapered down to 14.1 Mg. I never was able to stabilize on 14.1 even though I was making my own liquid. I started getting different symptoms every day and night just like I was taking different doses. I then switched to liquid paxil, and I didn't tolerate it very well. So I started weighting out my medicine on a milli scale, and even then I was getting different symptoms just like I was taking nonprecise doseages. I did all of this within a few months. I then went down to 13.8 because I started to shave my pills, and for some odd reason my body would not tolerate the whole pill at the dose of 14.1mg so I went down to 13.8. I did this for a few weeks but still noticed in was getting different symptoms every single day and night. I then decided I would have them compounded. I've been taking the compound 13.8 Mg pills for about 2 weeks, and I'm still getting different symptoms every single day and night. A lot of my symptoms have gone away like body pain, and rage, but now I have anxiety, depression, and irritability. I'm so scared, because I have no idea what to do to stabilize myself. Please help me!!!

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Administrator

WD, did you ever try holding at the same dosage for more than a month?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes I did. I held at 14.1 for 3 months, and never did stabilize.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

There for a couple of months, it seems I wasn't receiving a stable dose. I did not do that on purpose. I'm still taking my compounded 13.8mg but it still feels as if I'm not getting a stable dose. Idk of it is my nervous system, or if the compounded medication was made precisely

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Administrator

You might double-check with the pharmacy. Did they seem sloppy?

You might want to stay at your present dose for a couple of months.

What is your daily symptom pattern relative to when you take your drug? Are you taking anything else? Please keep notes on paper for a few days.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I don't really have a symptom pattern tbh. I have a some symptoms that are the same like really cold, headaches, and now depression at night. I'm not taking anything else. The pharmacy did not seem sloppy, but who knows. They mostly consist of younger people in their late 20s early 30s. Some of my symptoms have left, and now I only really have severe anxiety, and depression at night.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Administrator

I've tried the fish oil, it revs me up. I'll try the mag.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

What is the possibility that they were sloppy when creating my monthly prescription?

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Odd question. I'm going to start shaving my pills, and weighting them out. Considering that all my pills weight differently, do I weight one out and then calculate my drop fromthat then repeat the next day? Or do I weight them all out, and just calculate from the total amount?

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Is the medication hemogeneous in the pills? I've tried powder, and it I didn't agree with me. Both times I've had compounded pills made, I react badly to them as well. When I shave the pill, I don't have nearly as many side effects.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Anyone?

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

Can someone please explain to me why I get different symptoms each day and night but on the scale it says it weights the same.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

What do you mean by 'different symptoms each day and night'

Do you mean that you have a daily pattern of feeling certain symptoms earlier in the day and different symptoms towards the evening? If you could clarify what the symptoms are and when you get them, relative to when you take your dose, that might provide a clue.

You may still be in withdrawal from your CT off Valium last July.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

No when I say different symptoms day and night, I mean when I take my measured dose, it feels like I took a drop in dose, then the next night I may feel like I've took more than usual even though on the scale is says it weighs the same.

Feb 2012 Paxil 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry, I'm still not understanding what you mean. Could you describe what's happening, what you are actually feeling from one day to the next after you take your dose? What are the side effects or symptoms that are changing?

What time do you take your dose and when do the symptoms start?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary