Article that defines desire to eat healthy foods as a mental disorder

JayPea

And they will likely find a medication for this too. It is scary to watch the world devolve.

http://www.naturalnews.com/048886_orthorexia_nervosa_healthy_food_brain_disorder.html

neurologically challenged

Copaxone, Baclofen Oxybutynin and L.D.N. for multiple sclerosis and on Dilatin for seizure disorder Celexa 20 then 40 for at least 7 years Started first reduction in Jan 2015, but with generic- bad idea. Lasted 3 days

Started again Feb 1 2015. 

Feb 1-  40 to 37.5

Feb 24-  37.5 to 35

March 24- 35 to 32.5

April 28- 32.5 to 30

June 9- 30 to 27.5

July 1- 27.5 to 25

July 27-25 to 22.5

Aug 18- 22.5 to 20

Hi JayPea,

I agree, it is scary.  I heard about that "disorder" when the new DSM came out.  What I find really weird, and maybe a bit telling, is, that the diet is so close to one I went on thanks to drugs.  They caused me really severe food sensitivities (which have improved now.)

My diet wasn't exactly like this but it was really close:

Orthorexics commonly have rigid rules around eating. Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soy, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out.

I have to wonder then if the diagnosis came about because a number of people injured by drugs are actually reporting that they have trouble with certain foods?

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Shocking

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

I absolutely don't think this should be classified as a mental condition, but I do think for a lot of people it becomes an obsession - in fact I know several.  But i don't know whether it disables them like other obsessions do or just makes them really annoying  to talk to.

It isn't any different really to oppositional defiance disorder for tantrums that go past the terrible twos

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I could be a definite target for this as I limit my diet due to making sure I stay awake during the day.   But it could be seen as crazy and obsessive.

I guess I should make sure I remember to give the example of the chocolate covered donut I ate after my stress test because I was so hungry.   Sheesh.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Yes, world gone mad. Look at the people in the grocery store whose carts are loaded with edible non-food items. (I think it is Bittman who coined that term.) Not wanting to be in that poor state of health is not a disorder. It is sanity in an insane world.

Well, the government has all kids of crazy ideas of who might be a terrorist nowadays, too.

We must all march in lockstep towards diabetes and organ failure, or be deemed mentally ill.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

this is brilliant!  simply marvelous---not only does it keep people trapped in the industrial food production chain while shaming dissidents in the public ethos, it creates another endless cycle of psych medicating.  the more meds you take, as many of us have noted, the more selective we tend to be with our diets because the toxicity is overwhelming our systems and we cannot handle the same pounding from processed/manufactured foods as the average person.  to cure this problem of overmedicating, doctors recommend...MORE MEDICATION!  hardly the first closed loop they try to stick all us rats in, but new developments are always a bit entertaining, if worrisome.

and, as also partially covered in the NN article itself, psychological disorder requires that the preoccupation be significantly disruptive of someones normal functioning, which means valid diagnoses have to demonstrate meaningful impediment to someones holistic personal wellbeing.  but, when has diagnostic validity been the impetus behind medicating and involuntarily incarcerating?  this whole thing reeks of the forced institutionalization of women and minorities in the 20th century based on social and political goals employing the guise of a 'mental health apparatus'.  i dont think its alarmist to express concern over these trends, but every era has its reasons for catastrophists to handwring, so i feel the best option is to divorce ones mind and soul from the system.  you cant defeat the system through its own means, constitutionally.

responses to traps evolve, and so must the traps themselves evolve---pharmacology, and institutionalized western medicine, even, has demonstrated beyond a doubt that it is a capitalistic arm of profiteering rather than a public service.  we are aliens to this culture that frequent social habitats to scavenge for parts and scraps of bread; salvation is remembering our otherliness, and the transience of our external environment.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

Yes we certainly are aliens to this culture, nice observation InvisibleUnless.  And nice screen name too.

Welcome to the site.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

it was given to me by the mothership.  er...

and thanks.  already, a shuffling through my mounting paragraphs...this place might be fun.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm.......pharmaceutical industry = chemicals,  processed food industry = chemicals,  fertiliser and pesticides industry = chemicals....am I imagining a connection here?  (Whoops, just got myself a diagnosis of paranoia).

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

youre not paranoid, you just need to eat worse!

and, that is definitely a main reason why most of the corporate world is dominated by overarching hierarchies whose uppermost tiers can probably be counted on just one or two hands.

you can also add to that the manufacture of electronics, appliances, and vehicles (which, as everyone has seen by now are purposely being made to be increasingly short term and disposable).  the vast majority of industry and employment is busywork focused on maintaining the illusion of rich people contributing to society for their income disparity.  if we all worked subsistence jobs for subsistence wages (self-sustenance or trade), wed have less illness, more free time, fewer workplace fatalities, greater productivity, etc.  but...the entire financial infrastructure of the post-industrial world would collapse.  like money itself, there is no substance to the materiality of our physical experiences.

the military technology and outfitting industry, bio-tech and research companies, clothing production and maintenance, and pretty near everything else moving significant funds are, at this point, predicated on chemical creation and extraction.  its a lot like monopoly (the game)---invent a chemical, which is incidentally but unimportantly toxic, patent it as 'imaginary property', and then make theoretically infinite money off of its ultra-cheap manufacture and application or its use as a bargaining and trading chip for other imaginary and liquid properties.  most importantly, this chemical serves the purpose of replacing already extant, natural solutions to the problems it purports to newly deal with---half marketing sham, half cost-saving measure.

i dont think id proclaim humanity to be past its apex...but surely this system does not display our most flattering qualities beyond mercilessly self-exploitative ingenuity.

brainpan addlepation

it was given to me by the mothership.  er...

IU, are you really supposed to divulge that? lol

the secret aliens are the dangerous ones.

alternatively, tell the Orbital Ethics Committee to crammit. (or, "youre not my mommy, i was cloned from dinosaurs!" if that goes over better.)

brainpan addlepation

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy