vanctycanuck: Oppositional tolerance and Withdrawal. My story

vanctycanuck

Hello all, 

I am a former member of Paxilprogress "beastmodekes" and this is my introduction. 

I started Paxil for what I believed was Anxiety and this was around 2000 / 2001. My doctor recommended this medication and I was desperate enough for relief. I started out at 20 mgs and after a few years this was increased to 40 mg. For years I continued taking this medication, one because my doctor said I would require this medication for the rest of my life, and two it was flat out giving me relief from the symptoms. 

In late June of 2013 I began to experience a reemergence of my Anxiety symptoms, while still taking 40 mg of paxil.  After approximately two to three weeks later, I began to experience even worse symptoms and felt I was experiencing a mental breakdown.  I left work that morning and went straight to my doctor.  I was crying lots in his office and all my doctor could do was ask what it was I wanted to do? He suggested a new medication and I decided to mull it over. It was decided after much discussion with my doctor and family that I would try Effexor. The plan was to wean down Paxil and introduce Effexor.  I truly wish I never started Effexor....

To make a long story short in terms of my Antidepressant use. I was on Paxil for about 14 years and effexor for 16 months. The majority of the time I was on Effexor was trying to taper down to get off. I made the mistake of getting up to 225 mgs and wished I hadn't of taken my doctors advice to start with. As of December 04 2014, I am completely off Effexor. It was hellish getting off these medications.

As of now, I am suffering in the worst way. Over the last three months my symptoms have progressively gotten worse. I have had really bad moments mixed in brief moments of not so bad. From what I can gather these not so bad moments are called windows, but these so called windows are very short lived, like a few hours at best.  The worst time for me seems to be first thing when I wake up in the morning. My mind seems to be at its worst at this time and its what scares me the most. Just recently I've found it really hard to get to sleep as well. I am on sick leave from work and will be so for one year this May.  I will spare you all the worst details as you've probably heard them all. 

What I would like to know is if their are any success stories from anyone who has suffered oppositional tolerance. I feel my problem is more complicated due to the fact my symptoms started while I was still on Paxiil, and that I was on Paxil for a long time. I probably complicated things by starting Effexor.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you

Aug 15.13 Dcrse Paxil from 40mg to 30 mg. Tapering due to poopout.

Aug 21 Dcrse Paxil 30mg to 20 mg

Aug 21 Intrdce 75 Mg Effexor

Sep 02 Dcrse Paxil 20mg to 10 mg

Sep 02 Incrse Effexor to 150 Mg

Sep 20 Dcrse Paxil 10mg to 5mg

Oct 10 Incrse Effexor to 225mg

Nov 22 Dcrse Paxil 5mg to 2.5mg

Dec 22 Dcrse Paxil 2.5mg to 1.5mg

Jan 11.14 Stop Paxil

Feb 15.14 Start of 11 month taper off Effexor. Finished on Dec 08.14

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi van  , welcome to the site.   You've landed in the best place ever for support , information and resources on all things antidepressant related.

I don't know what oppositional intolerance is ( is that poop-out?)   but others here are sure to know.

Take a look in the Symptoms and SelfCare section and you'll see that insomnia and early morning panic (cortisol ) are pretty common withdrawal symptoms.

Perhaps also see the "What Is Withdrawal" topic.

Good to have you on board.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi there!

I think I remember you from PP. I hit poop-out too and have been suffering quite a lot since. I am 6 months off now. I am finding my withdrawal pretty brutal to be honest but it's been hell from the start of poop-out.

Mornings are always the worst - cortisol levels are so high. I think most tend to suffer their worst moments first thing.

I'm sorry you are still in a bad place. It's a long time to have to suffer but I'm positive there will be better days ahead for you.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

iMac hit poop-out and had a hard time, but is doing much better now.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome vanctycanuck,

I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling so much.  Did starting on effexor help at all with the symptoms you were experiencing while still on paxil?

How did you taper off effexor?

Please would you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  Putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Here is the link to our recovery stories section:

Recovery from withdrawal success stories

Also, look for the introduction threads with the  sun  (☼) symbols, these members have turned a corner in their recovery.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

*post moved from success stories section

Hello all. 

I am very close to being 4 months of medications. What Ive experienced along the way has been nothing but Hell. 

As of now I am left in a state of chronic depression and anxiety. Lately my mind has been in a constant state of irritability.

My biggest concern however is when I first wake up in the morning.  My mind first thing in the morning is what scares me the most and is what makes me feel like I'm going crazy.  I cant seem to motivate myself to get out of bed right away and usually takes me half hour. During this period my mind seems to be all over the place and thoughts and feelings are intense during this period. When I do manage to get out of bed and after some time these feelings become less intense. The last few days these feelings have lingered throughout the day but are not as intense as when I first wake up. I also have these strange physical feelings in my and when its at it worst makes it feel like my head is full so to speak. This usually leads headaches. Lastly, all of this has left me feeling hopeless and with recurring thoughts of Suicide. I dont have a plan to commit suicide, but the thoughts are all the time and very intense. 

My questions are this.

1. Have any of you experienced this like I am. 

2. Does this sound like a part of medication withdrawal or something much serious?

I have been debating whether I should take myself to the hospital as I am that scared right now. From everything I can gather, these medications change the physical make up of our minds and now Im dependent on them. Ive read all the horror stories and of course that hasn't helped my situation.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Edited by Petunia
added note

Aug 15.13 Dcrse Paxil from 40mg to 30 mg. Tapering due to poopout.

Aug 21 Dcrse Paxil 30mg to 20 mg

Aug 21 Intrdce 75 Mg Effexor

Sep 02 Dcrse Paxil 20mg to 10 mg

Sep 02 Incrse Effexor to 150 Mg

Sep 20 Dcrse Paxil 10mg to 5mg

Oct 10 Incrse Effexor to 225mg

Nov 22 Dcrse Paxil 5mg to 2.5mg

Dec 22 Dcrse Paxil 2.5mg to 1.5mg

Jan 11.14 Stop Paxil

Feb 15.14 Start of 11 month taper off Effexor. Finished on Dec 08.14

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi vanctycanuck,

I moved the above post to your own introduction/update thread.  That part of the forum is for success stories.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm sorry to hear you are still struggling with withdrawal.  Four months out is still early days.  The symptoms you have described are  fairly common.  See:

Cortisol and early-morning waking with panic or anxiety

Many of us here experience symptoms being worse in the mornings, I'm the same, this will improve over time.

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Perhaps others will be able to share their experiences.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I hit poop out or tolerance while on paxil, and was on the stuff 14 yrs.

I did a cold turkey (had no idea how bad that was) and suffered badly. I am 17 months out, doing very well, especially for the hell I went through. Things improve all the time, but AD withdrawal iz two stels forward, three back, but it will be better.

Paxil 20mg from 1998-2011 

Paxil 40mg from 2011-2012 while experiencing poopout

October 2013 quit cold turkey

Oct-mid Nov 2013 great window

Late November WD nightmare 

Windows and waves pattern 

Now: 28 months cold turkey...doing decent learning to deal with the windows/waves pattern fighting it every step of the way.