SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dysphagia : swallowing and throat problems

Maybe

I am looking for someone who has had the problem.

I don't feel like spending  the time or money for doctors again. 

I just did the FMT procedure and i do feel better but this symptom is not gone.

Maybe time will heal the problem, but i don't want to give up looking for another way.  

150 mg Effexor xr for 2 years. (2015-2017)

Tapered to zero (04/2017-05/2017)

Was off effexor for about a month then the storm hit.

Reinstated 25 mg effexor (06/2017.

Last micro dose of Effexor on Nov 25 2017.

Been off Effexor for 11 months and still feeling AWEFUL. I feel DEAD.

4 minutes ago, Woodhull said:

I am looking for someone who has had the problem.

I don't feel like spending  the time or money for doctors again. 

I just did the FMT procedure and i do feel better but this symptom is not gone.

Maybe time will heal the problem, but i don't want to give up looking for another way.  

I understand.

The FMT procedure is pioneering stuff from what I understand - glad you're feeling better.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• ChessieCat changed the title to Throat tension / pressure
  • 2 months later...

Hi Woodhull, I think I also have something like this. Have you gotten any better?

My sensation feels like something heavy is sitting on my chest and throat. It's kind of like that choked up feeling you get when you want to hold back tears except i have it 24/7 and it doesn't seem to fluctuate with stress. 

What I'm thinking is that it's either side effect/withdrawal, some anxiety process that's gotten stuck so that I feel it even when I'm not anxious. Or, GERD or some other gastrointestinal or endocrine issue?? And of course antidepressants can contribute to the latter possibilities. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

1 hour ago, bheb said:

Hi Woodhull, I think I also have something like this. Have you gotten any better?

My sensation feels like something heavy is sitting on my chest and throat. It's kind of like that choked up feeling you get when you want to hold back tears except i have it 24/7 and it doesn't seem to fluctuate with stress. 

What I'm thinking is that it's either side effect/withdrawal, some anxiety process that's gotten stuck so that I feel it even when I'm not anxious. Or, GERD or some other gastrointestinal or endocrine issue?? And of course antidepressants can contribute to the latter possibilities. 

Hi bheb,

I know this feeling.

Towards the end of last year, I had some major crying spells (due to my father's terminal illness), I cried and cried and cried and cried......couldn't stop.  A total emotional outpouring, you could say.

The physical manifestation of those emotions were such that it was as though I had a weight sitting on my chest, I also felt as though I wanted to throw up (and almost did).

A homeopath I saw mentioned the throat chakra (referred to by VitaminB above). 

She said that for women, our emotional issues can get stuck in the throat area (thyroid issues), and for men its the heart area (heart issues).

Emotional issues have a LOT to answer for in terms of our overall health.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

On 1/25/2018 at 11:23 AM, Junglechicken said:

Hi bheb,

I know this feeling.

Towards the end of last year, I had some major crying spells (due to my father's terminal illness), I cried and cried and cried and cried......couldn't stop.  A total emotional outpouring, you could say.

The physical manifestation of those emotions were such that it was as though I had a weight sitting on my chest, I also felt as though I wanted to throw up (and almost did).

A homeopath I saw mentioned the throat chakra (referred to by VitaminB above). 

She said that for women, our emotional issues can get stuck in the throat area (thyroid issues), and for men its the heart area (heart issues).

Emotional issues have a LOT to answer for in terms of our overall health.

JC

I'm sorry about your father--that must be hard to deal with on top of everything. 

I definitely relate to emotional issues finding physical outlets. However, for me, it doesn't seem to increase with emotional stress. Just kind of a neutral dull clenching at all times.

Did the chakra help you?

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

Hey @Woodhull and @bheb,

How are you going with this?

I have struggled with this for about 1.5 years and have figured out how to resolve it for myself.

I didn't find the chakra system useful, and I think that it's supposed to be more of a representational system or a metaphorical map for the body, rather than a direct truth.

The chakra stream of thought led me to obsessively trying to purge my emotions and obsessing over the idea that something was stuck or that I wasn't speaking my truth (and other wacky ideas). 

I think that it comes about because we have this stress response (globus sensation) and then we try to fix it and obsess about it. When we think about it, we're slowly adding a narrative to the sensation and it's slowly going to become something that it doesn't need to be. We try to figure out what it is, and create this growing monster of anxiety because we're fighting against something that is actually just a natural sensation and response to anxiety.

I fixed it through acceptance, compassion and mindfulness. I decided to treat the sensation as something that wanted me to care for it, and spoke to it internally like "I love you, you're welcome to stay as long as you need". It seems a little far out, but this problem is stress based and trying to "fix" it just made the sensation worse because I'm still fighting against it.

My approach was to treat it with kindness. Whenever I started thinking about it, I'd gently bring my awareness back to the actual sensation. When we actually experience the sensation, we're allowing it to be there without any resistance or fixing.

Simplified, the whole approach is to treat this thing like a house guest and as if you have to live with it forever. You have to welcome it in, care for it and accept it.

Something to remember is that it takes A LOT of practice to work with this sensation, and it's easy to interpret the fact that we don't get immediate results as it not working. 

When I first had it, it lasted for 6 months before I started working with it as I mentioned above. Then, it eventually just disappeared. 

It then returned a few months later, I obsessed about it for a few weeks before returning to the above method, and it went away.

It's paradoxical, but it only ever goes away when we're willing and comfortable with the thought that it may be with us forever.

Now when it returns, I always have a "hello old friend" response to it and welcome it in.

I'll break down my approach below:

1. Practice mindfulness of sensation with the throat pressure. Whenever you start to think or obsess about it, bring your attention back to the sensation. You will have to keep doing this, the benefit is in the returning to the sensation after you drift back into thought.

2. Practice self-compassion and acceptance. Once you can contact it mindfully, you can speak to it. I find that speaking to it and welcoming it in helps my nervous system relax and stops any unessecary stress around the sensation.

3. Have faith, it could take a while. You won't find any resources online that give you the concrete certainty that you can fix this - trust me, I've been there. Have faith in the process, keep practicing. Eventually, you'll be so okay with it being there that you don't even notice when it leaves one day.

The whole idea is to not fix, fight against or diagnose the sensation. Just welcome it in and work with it.

This may seem a little far out, but it's actually here to teach you how to practice compassion and acceptance. This shift in mindset helps you move from victim to empowered, because the sensation can be used as a tool for growth.

Remember, you're not alone and this isn't a personal problem. You're working with this for everybody, not just yourself. 

Message me if you need other tips :)

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

14 hours ago, NobodySpecial said:

I have struggled with this for about 1.5 years and have figured out how to resolve it for myself.

Wow, thanks for this. I'll give it a shot. Glad you're doing better. 

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you @bheb :)

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

• 2 months later...

I'm back "here" again with throat issues - GERD, thyroid, emotional (5th chakra)???

I'm not sure of the cause.

I can only say that the pain became MUCH worse after I "divorced" my mother last weekend.

Am on PPIs (Pantaprazole), and taking "Gaviscom", apple cider vinegar to adjust any acidity issues in my gut.  The pain is till there.

Bracing myself for possible endoscopy investigation if it doesn't subside.

Major Life Events: 

I absolutely relate. I have dealt with a heaviness on the throat/tightness/choking sensation since I was 11. When I was 12 I actually ended up at a speech therapist who had me try swallowing different things and she felt my throat for physiological difficulties swallowing! this lead me to my first psychiatrist actually, and to my first medication (Prozac). 

Sometimes I think about it symbolically. Like when I feel choked up I go, "I hear you. What are you trying to say? Is there something I'm not saying? Am I being heard/am I hearing myself?" I know for me this feeling came about from 8 years of serious suppression, shame, and not speaking for myself. I think for me it was embodied by this feeling. 

I like to sort of hum with different tones when I feel that. Not to "fix" the tightness but to create a sense of curiosity. I wonder what this would feel like if I hummed as deeply as I could. What about if I go up and down real fast? In my chest? Throat? Mouth? Tongue? I find turning anxiety and uncertainty into genuine interest for what I'm feeling is self validating and helpful.

Lithium: Nov. 2014 - Nov. 2017 (900mg). Dec 2017- Mar. 2018 (1050mg) // Apr. 6 2018 AM (325mg) Apr. 13 2018 AM (300mg) PM (600mg)={900mg}

Celexa: Nov. 2014 - Apr 2015 (40mg) May 2015 - Sept. 2017 (20mg) Oct. 2017 - Dec. 2017 (10mg) Jan. 2018-Mar. 2018 (5mg) Mar. 15 2018 (2.5mg) Apr. 1 2018 (1.7mg) Apr. 9 2018 (0.00mg - FREE!) Mar. 3 (~0.8 mg)

Gabapentin: Jan. 2013-Apr. 2016 (2,700mg) Apr. 2016-Mar. 2017 (900mg) Mar. 2017-Mar. 2018 (600mg)

“Bring everything up to the surface. Accept your humanity, your animality. Whatsoever is there, accept it without any condemnation. Acceptance is transformation, because through acceptance awareness becomes possible.” —Osho

This is a note to self, for issues with my throat - the  "throat chakra".

Someone else mentioned this on the "Swallowing and throat problems" thread found in the symptoms and self care area of the forum.

In my case, since my father died, and left with my mother (who NEVER lets me speak, and STILL NEVER lets me speak as what I had to say was never of importance to her); I've had issues with my upper digestive tract, i.e GERD.  I think the extract below, taken from the following website, explains a lot of physical issues which are derived from the emotional problems we all face in our lives at one point or another:

http://www.inner-truth.net/healing/chakras/throatchakra.html

Throat Chakra

Name: Throat Chakra
Colour: Blue

The Throat Chakra is associated with your Self Expression and Communication.

When it is in balance, you are able to listen and communicate well. When you are having trouble expressing yourself, or having trouble with communication (being unable to say what you want to say to others and/or not truly listening to what you are being told) the throat chakra becomes imbalanced.

An imbalance will first resonate as a tingle, ache or sensitivity in the throat region. (Stemming from the base of the neck to the ears).

Aches and Pains

Even small tingles and aches can be a sign that something needs to be addressed. As soon as the emotional issue has been resolved, the ache WILL clear up or simply completely vanish.

Can manifest quickly as an unexpected cough, or manifest as feeling like a lump is in your throat (feeling choked up) and/or trouble when swallowing.

Aches, tingles and pain located around the Throat, Mouth and Neck. Including toothache, sore tongue, sensitive gums, tonsils, sore throats and tickly coughs.

Physical/ Medical issues

Sore throats, loss of voice, coughs, mouth ulcers and ear infections.

If the issue is left unattended to, may lead on to more serious issues such as.

• Thyroid problems - over active/ under-active;
  • Anorexia nervosa
  • asthma
  • bronchitis
  • hearing problems, tinnitus
  • problems of the upper digestive tract,
  • mouth ulcers, sore throats, tonsillitis.

Emotional Issues

When in balance the throat chakra offers us; faithfulness, an ability to express yourself and your ideas, good communication skills, will power and honesty.

Imbalances are caused by being unfaithful (to either yourself or to others), A feeling of not being heard, or not being able to express your ideas/who you are. Feeling afraid to talk about things, lack of honesty (to yourself and/or others), Lack of willpower and lying.

It only takes one of these emotional conditions to form an imbalance, the intensity of which will be in direct relation. As you become more aware of yourself and the link between your emotional and physical aspects of you, your body responds more quickly to even the slightest emotional imbalance.

Relative Questions

If you an imbalance in your throat chakra. Look at the following questions honestly to help seek balance.
It is useful to answer all the questions initially with YES / NO / MAYBE and then go back and work through all the YES answers and the MAYBE answers.

Those you answer YES to; you can try to find a way to resolve the issue. When the issue is resolved, your ache or illness WILL subside.

Are you keeping things to yourself?

Are you afraid/worried about speaking out?

Do you feel your opinions can not be voiced?

Do you feel that you are not being true to yourself?

Are you afraid of the truth?

Are you afraid of speaking the truth?

Do you have something to say, but not sure how to say it?

Are you having trouble doing something you want to do?

Re-balancing

Individual rebalancing will depend entirely on the specific issue. But especially with the throat chakra, it is especially good to write things down.

Please note that an imbalance is not only caused by a weakened chakra. The aim is to have all chakras in complete balance with each other. If six are weak and one is strong it could mean you are OVER confident, OVER trusting, OVER creative etc.. thus re-balancing must either involve increasing the size of all the other chakras or reducing the influence of the strong chakra.

Self Expression is paramount and if you have answered the relative questions above; you will likely have an idea as to what needs resolving.

The following articles may be useful reading in accordance with throat chakra issues

Colour Therapy

Blue is the colour associated to the Sacral Chakra.

Crystal Therapy.

Crystals which can be used in association with the Throat Chakra are;

• Lapis Lazuli
  • Blue Quartz
  • Turquoise
  • Lazulite

Aromatherapy

Oils and Incense which can be used, associated with the throat chakra are

• Frankincense
  • Camomile
  • Sandalwood.

Nutrition

Water, Lemons & Limes (and some other Citrus Fruits), Apples and Peaches can help you to cleanse, clear and open up your throat chakra.

Major Life Events: 

@Junglechicken, read my post above regarding this. Have you actually had direct benefit from this chakra information? I find it really unhelpful and can make an issue 'stickier'

than it needs to be.

Most people who write these articles are recycling other articles written by somebody else who had recycled something. It's quite hollow information.

If you want to investigate, you should seek out a professional versed in somatic experiencing or something like that, addressing the issue psychsomatically. 

I think the chakra system was just representational - meaning it's just the map, not the terrain.

I've worked through this myself and am happy to answer any qs.

Morning supplements:

Evening supplements:

• 4 weeks later...
On 26 January 2018 at 5:18 PM, bheb said:

I'm sorry about your father--that must be hard to deal with on top of everything. 

I definitely relate to emotional issues finding physical outlets. However, for me, it doesn't seem to increase with emotional stress. Just kind of a neutral dull clenching at all times.

Did the chakra help you?

I haven't got around to studying or applying 5th Chakra bheb.

My throat is still really bad, and so is my mouth.

Booked to see Dr and dentist next week...will see what happens.

How is your throat now?

Major Life Events: 

4 hours ago, Junglechicken said:

I haven't got around to studying or applying 5th Chakra bheb.

My throat is still really bad, and so is my mouth.

Booked to see Dr and dentist next week...will see what happens.

How is your throat now?

Oh! I almost forgot I had this symptom -- well, that shows you that it's better! I applied the advice @NobodySpecial gave. And I think it has worked for me, the acceptance mantra. And when the chest/throat suffocation comes back I feel it bothers me less?

Ah I hope your appointments aren't too stressful. Are they to help these symptoms or other issues?

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

@bheb, what a relief! That happened to me as well, forgot it was a problem until it came back and bothered me WAY less. Now 'it' comes and goes like a welcomed house guest, usually with 3 - 4 months between visits!

Morning supplements:

Evening supplements:

• 6 months later...

@bheb I have not gotten any better. One year off Effexor 150mg, still living HELL. 

150 mg Effexor xr for 2 years. (2015-2017)

Tapered to zero (04/2017-05/2017)

Was off effexor for about a month then the storm hit.

Reinstated 25 mg effexor (06/2017.

Last micro dose of Effexor on Nov 25 2017.

Been off Effexor for 11 months and still feeling AWEFUL. I feel DEAD.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a thick feeling in my throat.  I notice when I'm swallowing like something is stuck.  I assume it's a withdrawal symptom since it started several months ago well into withdrawal.  

Effexor 2008 - 2017 37.5 Mg . Upped to 150 mg on 2017.  November of 2017 to March 2018 went from 150 mg to 0.

Ativan May 2018 started 1 - 2 mg daily stayed at 1mg Sept 2018. 03/9/19 .975mg, 03/16 .950mg, 04/13 .94, 04/20 .93, 04/27 .916 slowly tapered from April to  August 2019 at .77mg,  December 2020 .10mg, Jan 2021 0.0 MG 

Valium June 2018 started 10 mg currently 2.5 mg daily, September 2021 0.0 mg

Trazadone started March 2018 100 mg at night to sleep Oct 16, 2018 went to 75 mg , November 13, 2018 67.5 mg, Dec 11 60.75 mg, January 21, 2019  54 mg, 02/09 50 mg, March 2022 0.0 mg

Six Ketamine treatments September 2018.  2 treatments a week for 3 weeks

Completely drug free as of March 2022

• 3 weeks later...

For the past few months I have felt like something is stuvk in my throat.  At first i assumed it was WD related but it has been like this for about 3 months or so. I also feel like my ears need to pop.   I can swallow fine but it feels like something is stuck there.

In reading previous posts it looks like others have had similar issues and eventually it will go away.  I dont really want to go to Dr. As she is not supportive about withdrawal.  

Can anyone share any insight?

Effexor 2008 - 2017 37.5 Mg . Upped to 150 mg on 2017.  November of 2017 to March 2018 went from 150 mg to 0.

Ativan May 2018 started 1 - 2 mg daily stayed at 1mg Sept 2018. 03/9/19 .975mg, 03/16 .950mg, 04/13 .94, 04/20 .93, 04/27 .916 slowly tapered from April to  August 2019 at .77mg,  December 2020 .10mg, Jan 2021 0.0 MG 

Trazadone started March 2018 100 mg at night to sleep Oct 16, 2018 went to 75 mg , November 13, 2018 67.5 mg, Dec 11 60.75 mg, January 21, 2019  54 mg, 02/09 50 mg, March 2022 0.0 mg

Hello, Rezten!

I've been reading about cranial nerves lately since I had seen a nurse practitioner who told me that all of our nerves and neural pathways have gone haywire after stopping ADs and that it takes some time for them to settle down. This led me to discover information about cranial nerves on the Internet and found that Cranial Nerve IX, the glossopharyngeal, connects the brain to the throat, tongue, and tonsils. Previous to discovering this, I was thinking that perhaps I just feel my uvula in my throat as my sense of touch throughout my body is super hypersensitive. It still might be that, as I not only have that sensation of something stuck in my throat, but my mouth and tongue--not to mention my entire body--are riddled with strange sensations as well. To conclude, and this is just my theory, the cranial nerves are at play here.

I'm not sure if you're aware of trigger points in the body. I'm trying to find the one that influences Cranial Nerve IX. I have found relief for other strange sensations in my head by pressing on the trigger points that connect to other cranial nerves. To keep this simple, I have found a trigger point in my neck that relieves strange sensations in the back of my head. I have also found trigger points on my face that relieve the head pressure I experience in my head and the sensation of having a swollen face.

Because of individual differences, I'm not certain that what helps me will help anyone else. It might not hurt to read about trigger points and see if working with them would bring any relief to you. Regardless, I wish you well.

Sending healing thoughts your way!

Callie

Lexapro: 2004-2010; Effexor XR 225 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017

Abilify 5 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017; Buspirone 60 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Trazadone 100 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Xanax: as needed; Fast taper

7 minutes ago, Callie said:

I've been reading about cranial nerves lately since I had seen a nurse practitioner who told me that all of our nerves and neural pathways have gone haywire after stopping ADs and that it takes some time for them to settle down.

Hi Callie.  Thank you for the information.  Its helpful to be reassured.  You are lucky to have an NP that understands.  Mine just thinks that everything is related to my "anxiety disorder" and I am not in WD.

Thank you again!

• 1 month later...

Aside from Hibari, does anyone else has suffered from dry throat and mouth? I used to do daily vocal/singing exercises but while tapering my medications, while doing a vocal exercise, I was not able to do it well because my voice started to sound weak and bad. I went with an otolaryngologist, he put a camera in my throat and clearly my throat and vocal chords appear to be very dry. My question is, does the dryness ever go away? I'm terrified about this because I was preparing myself to be a professional singer.

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello,

Since 2 weeks I have issues to swallow : it's like if swallowing drive an insane anxiety and a fear of going down the wrong way and choking. 

It's also like if my body don't know anymore how to swallow correctly. 

I can barely eat. I'm used to high anxiety but this one is pretty weird.

I've read this topic with interest, but it seems that people are rather dealing with pain or heaviness on their throats.

I'm curious : does somebody already had this symptom ? 

i'm trying to eat blend food, it does help a bit.

Take care ❤

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Erell said:

Since 2 weeks I have issues to swallow : it's like if swallowing drive an insane anxiety and a fear of going down the wrong way and choking. 

It's also like if my body don't know anymore how to swallow correctly. 

I can barely eat.

Even if this is an actual symptom you might find that you are also becoming more anxious when you think about eating.  To reduce the added stress, you might find it helpful to do some relaxation/calming before you eat and some positive self talk perhaps thinking about how much you will enjoy what you are about to eat.

You say that it is a bit easier to eat blended food.  There are lots of smoothie combinations that you could make.  Include a bit of fibre (dates) and egg (nutritious) and even a breakfast wheat biscuit*, oats* (fibre), banana* (* all filling), other fruit.  And of course vegetables if you like those.  I don't like them in a smoothie.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Chessie :)

Yes I'm eating smoothie, mash, compote,...

I'm a little baby  😄

It definitely is related to my anxiety level, so yes I work on trying to reduce the stress. 

Just another example of how our brain can play tricks with us in WD ;)

Take care ❤

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little past 6 mths into lexapro WD after being on it 66 days.  I've had 60+ side effects since being in WD.  A couple of days ago a new one started and it has gotten worse today:  I have to swallow every few seconds, and if I try to swallow a sip of water I have to swallow several times to feel like the gesture is complete.  It is as if some of it comes back up to the very base of my throat and I have to keep swallowing to keep it down.

But...even if I'm not eating or drinking every few seconds I have an urge/need to swallow.  Also woke up this morning feeling the need to swallow at the end of every exhalation. 

Any help?  Thoughts? 

Was on Lexapro for 66 days starting in early January.  5mg for a week, 10mg for 3, 7.5 for 3 days, then 5mg and 2.5mg for approx two weeks after.  

Was on Lithium for 60 days starting in late January. 1 300mg ER pill a day.  Stopped CT

Was given a .5 ativan script in early Jan.  Took it maybe 20x total from early Jan to beg of June, 2020.

-Fall of 2019:  had two vertigo attacks for the first time with no warning, each followed by 4-5 days of morning dizziness.

-Last Friday of 2019:  had first ever, out of the blue, panic attack.  Went to ER- didn't know what was happening.  Was diagnosed w/GAD, even though had never had anxiety or depression problems before.  Basically no health problems at all prior to this, and in very good shape emotionally, physically, and mentally.

-4 days after panic attack given lexapro.  That's when the hell began.  Was on it 66 days.  Reacted badly to it.  Gave me suicidal ideation 4 wks after starting it, plus exhaustion, off the charts anxiety, dizziness, and fatigue.  Did a fast taper over 5 wks.  Was on it 66 days total.

-been off lexapro completely since mid-March, 2020.  First 3 weeks I got better and better.  Then, week 4 into WD got slammed.  Since then, over 64 side effects/symptoms.  Can't drive.  At times, barely surviving.

-since Jan., have been to the e r 16x.

-was given lithium after experienced SI from lexapro to as a "mood stabilizer".  Never really noticed anything from it, nor anything after stopping it, except for a few days of heightened depression about a week after.

-was given low dosage ativan script 2nd week into lexapro to deal with the anxiety/panic spike caused by the lexapro.  Took it perhaps 20x between Jan and June, 2020.  Always made me feel better, but last time it was taken (early June) experienced intrusive thoughts after so stopped it.  Didn't feel any negative reaction from stopping it, perhaps b/c it was taken so infrequently and the dosage was so low. 

I think that this is psychosomatic and would recommend learning how to relate to this symptom with kindness and acceptance. My throat issues were perpetuated by anxiously trying to fix them and only dissipated when I decided that it was okay if I had to live with them forever. 

Morning supplements:

Evening supplements:

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dysphagia : swallowing and throat problems
  • 1 year later...
On 5/5/2015 at 2:06 PM, someday said:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms, jac. I hope they improve for you soon.

Regarding swallowing, for me, when I swallow it feels like I have to manually swallow twice to get whatever I'm trying to swallow to go down. 

Besides that, it feels like the whole area behind my Adam's apple is numb, all the way up to my tongue, which also feels numb sometimes, and into my nose and sinuses. It feels like I've lost sensation in my swallowing muscles. It's alarming me.

I just need to know how are you feeling now? Has this symptom disappeared?

-Paroxetine 20 Mg/Day : otober 2018 - November 2022 (cold turkey)
-Bromazepam (Benzo) up to 6 Mg /Day "as needed " : october 2018 - May 2023
-Prazepam (Benzo) : 15 mg/Day : May 2023- July 2023 (tapering failed). Stopped Prazepam and switched to Diazepam
-Diazepam : 07/19/2023 (23 drops am, 14 drops pm).

Serious Adverse reaction to diazepam.

-Went back on Prazepam : 15 mg/Day  (08/10/2023)

-Updosed Prazepam : 20 mg/Day (10/01/2023)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2015 at 5:19 AM, LAPeep said:

I am so grateful for this site that supported me to assert that I'm not a hypochondriac when doctors look at me as though I am when I describe SSRI withdrawal symptoms! Thank you all. I am frightened about my swallowing & choking symptoms but thanks to your posts I am hopeful this will get better as my neurons recalibrate. One little step at a time.

@LAPeep 

Have your swallowing symptoms improved?

-Paroxetine 20 Mg/Day : otober 2018 - November 2022 (cold turkey)
-Bromazepam (Benzo) up to 6 Mg /Day "as needed " : october 2018 - May 2023
-Prazepam (Benzo) : 15 mg/Day : May 2023- July 2023 (tapering failed). Stopped Prazepam and switched to Diazepam
-Diazepam : 07/19/2023 (23 drops am, 14 drops pm).

Serious Adverse reaction to diazepam.

-Went back on Prazepam : 15 mg/Day  (08/10/2023)

-Updosed Prazepam : 20 mg/Day (10/01/2023)

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy