poodlebell

Acid reflux

Altostrata

I would not assume your histamine receptors are injured.

When you took an antihistamine before, it sounds like it went paradoxical on you. We know this can often happen with antihistamines.

I'm merging this with a related topic, please read our prior discussions about acid reflux.

You may not need treatment for this, you might be able to simply avoid certain foods.

PabloHoney825
On 10/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, Altostrata said:

I would not assume your histamine receptors are injured.

When you took an antihistamine before, it sounds like it went paradoxical on you. We know this can often happen with antihistamines.

I'm merging this with a related topic, please read our prior discussions about acid reflux.

You may not need treatment for this, you might be able to simply avoid certain foods.

Thanks for your reply, Altostrata. Could an adverse reaction to an antihistamine cause long-term dysautonomia? This is exactly what happened and has persisted (for the most part) since the antihistamine several months ago. I took bentyl last night for the pain, and I had another adverse reaction: shivering, muscle twitching (still), tight gut and nervousness (still), and fluctuating heart rate (still- from 60 to 90 at rest, and above 100 when walking--I do not have POTS). I wonder if there is a connection between Remeron, Unisom, and Bentyl- since all three have given me adverse reactions. 

Altostrata

As we've explained many times, one can get paradoxical reactions from antihistamines.

I suppose you could have an idiosyncratic reaction to them as a class. You should take this as your body saying it doesn't want them.

I am dubious about any close relationship between Remeron and any over-the-counter antihistamine. I do not believe you are correct about your histamine receptors being damaged. The body has an abundant number of histamine receptors of maybe a dozen types, unlikely that any significant number of them go out of service for any reason.

BfromNJ

So I have silent reflux and also gerd.   I do not take the usual meds for this, the ppi such as Prilosec.  I am so afraid of putting any other meds in my system, being so many can cause or make tinnitus worse.  I usally just do some tums as needed, making sure its two hours away form meds.  

I know the meds themselves are probably making the reflux even worse,  especially the latest ones I am on.   Such a catch 22.

I am super careful with my diet, but still suffer lately with the reflux.  and silent reflux is even harder to get under control.  

anyone have any tips, suggestions, etc? 

Altostrata

Merged similar topics. Please use search in the Symptoms forum before starting new topics.

BfromNJ

I have silent reflux.  Its hard to treat and these meds don't help.  Any one have suggestions on something for reflux?  Besides more meds like prilosec, etc?  Something more natural?  

It's bad now I think I'm refluxing up into my eustastion tubes.  🙄

BfromNJ

I was disgnosed with lpr (aka silent reflux) earlier this year.  Its a real tough one to tackle, because most times we dont even know we are refluxing so its hard to combat the symptoms.   opted not to use the ppi treatment, as i just didnt want another drug in me and i now they are only a temporary fix.  at this time, i feel that my symptoms may be worsening and i know the meds i am not do not help.  I will try my best throught diet.  Its so hard because i know with lpr its the pepsin that is the problem and its so hard to treat.   

Can anyone else give me some tips you have that maybe have helped  you, alternative treatments, etc.  I am going to go back to my ENT because i need my ears checked.  I think the reflux is maybe starting to even get into my Eusatian tubes.    

I welcome any advice and pointers.  thanks!    

Also, i used to take gavison advance, as i heard this is good for it.  But i dont think its good to take this near my gabapentin.   Does anyone know?  its different than other antacids. It has alginate in it. 

eymen23
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, BfromNJ said:

Can anyone else give me some tips you have that maybe have helped  you, alternative treatments, etc.  I am going to go back to my ENT because i need my ears checked.  I think the reflux is maybe starting to even get into my Eusatian tubes.    

I welcome any advice and pointers.  thanks!    

I would always suggest being tested for H pylori, as it is a common cause of gastritis,  gastric ulcers, indigestion, heartburn etc. 

If you have H pylori, doctors will usually prescribe 2 antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor, although many (including myself) find relief in natural alternatives. 

1000mg of mastic gum for three weeks helped me to completely resolve my GERD symptoms back in 2015, which were caused by a proven H pylori infection.

I have recently had gastritis and GERD symptoms for an unknown reason (I believe it is due to a nasty virus that started giving me other symptoms at the same time), and I have found a lot of relief using 75mg of zinc-l-carnosine per day. Be careful of using this at too high a dose or too long term, as it may eventually effect copper absorption (it should be fine for several weeks unless you’re already copper deficient or take a very large dose).  

DGL licorice and slippery elm are other well known aids for symptoms of GERD. They are both known to ‘soothe’ the digestive tract and stimulate protective mucus production. 

I know that your complaints are about silent reflux, but this is often an equivalent or extension of GERD, it just means the reflux is going up all the way to your throat and may not ‘burn’ in such an obvious manner. 

I would also recommend drinking water away from you meals, so not to dilute your stomach acid and interfere with the digestive process. 

As always, introduce any new supplement slowly and carefully, in case you react negatively to it. I would also suggest researching any supplements first, to get a feel for dosages and how they work. The good news is that there is very little in the way of drug interactions between the supplements above and psychiatric drugs. I would always input supplements and your medications into a drug interaction checker, just to be totally sure. 

Edited by eymen23

BfromNJ

@Altostrata

@ChessieCat

I was reading that a good natural remedy for reflux is baking soda.   Anyone try this was any success?  I don't want to go the med route and im at my wits end.  Also, is it safe with medication? Cant really find anything online in that regard.

Altostrata

Please research baking soda for reflux and post in this topic, with relevant links.

Carmie

Check out Dr Berg’s video on YouTube entitled: The myth about gerd and acid reflux relief. It’s really good, he recommends apple cider vinegar. I really like his videos, he’s into doing everything naturally and has posted so many informative videos on YouTube. I like how he explains everything.

I hope you find something that works @BfromNJ

Sending hugs🤗

BfromNJ
5 hours ago, Carmie said:

Check out Dr Berg’s video on YouTube entitled: The myth about gerd and acid reflux relief. It’s really good, he recommends apple cider vinegar. I really like his videos, he’s into doing everything naturally and has posted so many informative videos on YouTube. I like how he explains everything.

I hope you find something that works @BfromNJ

Sending hugs🤗

I'll check it out.  I have seen online that also baking soda is good, but cant seem to find anything about whether it's ok with meds.   I suppose a pharmacist would know.

BfromNJ
7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please research baking soda for reflux and post in this topic, with relevant links.

Okay.  It's supposed to be the sodium bicarbonate that neutralizes acid.  

Adili13

I have no idea how much of this is caused by WD and how much of it is not, but it’s miserable. Smaller meals seem to help. Also, less carbs and dairy. If anyone has any other suggestions, I’m all ears. Been off ppis for like 2 years now. Was on for like 6 years.