GardeniaBlossom: 16 years on/ 8 months off

GardeniaBlossom

Beautifully written post, WC.

I'm really struggling at 9 months off CT with no windows. I feel lost and alone too, Gardenia. CW has improved. We can too. Love you, Pug.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GardeniaBlossom

• Iamfine

• freespirit

• btdt

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you doing these days Gardenia?

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

It's been about a year since I got so sick I could hardly function, when I started the lithium and then couldn't continue it. I've never been sick for so long. I can see the effects of strain on my relationships but am doing better than I was a month ago. I've been writing a lot and meeting with folks who are also going through wd. I find that for me it's good to connect with people face to face about these issues. Sometimes, there seems to be a blanket of shame over those of us who live this experience. The act of meeting with folks and also telling people who haven't been through it that I am in the middle of the experience feels liberating. I think there is something to gain from standing up for myself in that way in the world. So, I've connected with people who are going through this in other environments. I'm a member of a number of Facebook groups dedicated to withdrawal some of which I find quite helpful as well. I recently met with my psychiatrist for the first time in several months. It was a reckoning. Otherwise, I've been writing in my journal and also poetry. I continue to make art about the experience, too.

It's often hard to indepth research here when I can't read easily, my mind isn't clear, and I don't have the stamina. I don't appreciate being talked down to and told that I need to do more research before asking questions on this board when it's the condition that prevents me from doing any more than I'm able to. That behavior is condescending and aggressive. I don't feel I can afford to subject myself to that while I am so vulnerable. There's a way in which people can hide behind excessive anonymity and act aggressively in ways that are sanctioned in this kind of environment. I experienced that recently here and didn't appreciate it. So, I haven't been around as much as I was before.

I've noticed that not all coffee throws me into a wave which is good news since I adore coffee. I'm not sure why yet. I've been making better decisions around food and that's helped. In a few days, I'll be nine and a half months off meds completely after 16 years of being enslaved by them. That feels great in and of itself. Today was hard. I created a system in which I can keep track of my symptoms though. That way I can see patterns and gain a better understanding of how I'm improving. I've been experiencing windows but also suicidal ideation consistently though. So, I struggle on a daily basis, but it's getting better.

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

Glad to hear there are some improvements and you're feeling a little better Gardenia. I wish you continued healing and much luck and success on your road to recovery

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

I'm so sorry , Gardenia, who is talking down to you?  Don't  let this , put you off.  I've also been on "the meds" , for over 20 yrs. It's "hell", I know, but don't give up & don't give up on here, because there are lots of supportive people.  Hugs, Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hang in there Gardenia, there is no shame in this. I find this place triggering too, to see so much suffering and wondering if this will ever end. And as I taper I am faced with the fear of the original problem coming back. I needed help when I first started meds, how do I know if it's meds causing me grief or if it's the underlying illness? We will get through this and be stronger because of it, just you wait and see.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

I'm sorry you feel unsafe on here GB. It can be difficult and triggering. I take breaks from the board as well. Self-preservation is so important.

I pretty much read randomly on here for the most part. I'm usually very good at researching, but not as good right now. People have sometimes pointed out threads to me I've never seen, even having read through a certain section. The bottom line is that there's a lot of info..

I think it's good you can look back and see improvement from even a month ago...and also, nice that you're finding some measure of community where you live. There's a lot to be said for having face-to-face contact.

I hope keeping a journal of symptoms proves helpful.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 2 months later...

I've been feeling better overall. I'm in a window that's lasted several days which is unusual but a relief to say the least. In about a week's time, I will be off all psychiatric drugs for a full year after being on them for sixteen years. I'm excited about this milestone but frustrated by the rate of my progress. Still slow progress is better than no progress. 

I experience fatigue, lack of mental clarity, confusion, inability to process information well, hopelessness, and difficulty with organization on an ongoing basis. I'd like to work on meal planning but am not sure what a good starting point may be regarding this. Maybe I'll work on researching this. I've pretty much been eating the same things for a bit over a year since the withdrawal set in. That can't be good. The good news is I've started drinking coffee again (without being thrown into a horrible wave). What a relief! I love coffee. 

I've been writing a lot which I find helpful both for processing information and to reflect on in retrospect. Reading has become a bit easier but is still an ongoing challenge. I love the feelings of upliftment and renewed well being when they occur. They are so appreciated. 

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Hi GB,

Congratulations on soon hitting the 1 year mark..and for getting to drink coffee again! I think you've done well to come to this place, especially given your time on meds. I hope you're able to feel good about how far you've come...though I know how the slow pace of progress can feel frustrating.

Good work on the writing too...something I'm hoping to do a little more of over the winter.

Nice to see you update.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Hello GardeniaBlossom, you are definitely healing having windows for some days. When I was one year off I hardly experienced windows if I did they were for a couple of hours sporadically. Congrats on being a year off what a great accomplishment.

I have started cooking a lit bit more recently and its very refreshing to eat clean unprocessed food. I get recipes from youtube, apps in my phone like Whole Foods. Maybe you could start looking at this website: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/on the recommended dietary guidelines, then you could look into nutrition books. What a great pastime writting and its helpful for cognitive abilities. Hope that the symptoms that you have dissipate soon.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

Yes, freespirit, I agree. After the length of time I was on the drugs, the number of drugs I was on, and the speed in which I came off them, the progress I've made sometimes feels like a miracle. I realize now I could have died coming out of what was essentially a cold turkey with no assistance or support.Thanks for helping me put that in perspective. I've come a very long way. Your feedback means a lot.

Thank you for your suggestions, Purplestars22. I'll check out the link you posted. I like the idea of searching youtube for videos. I find processing information via audio (in particular) a lot easier than trying to read and retain it.

I try to type as well as write by hand and I hope both will be valuable in helping my brain reconnect. When I read what I have written during the past year, I am surprised by how clear some of it is. I remember how badly I felt when I wrote it. It's profound how much I (and perhaps we all) have had to rely on the skills I (we) developed before withdrawal to function afterward and during such severe impairment.

Thanks, again, for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Tomorrow, it will be a full year since I took psychiatric drugs. I am in another window. On days like today, I feel like one day I will recover completely from not just the withdrawal but also the 16 years I was on psychiatric drugs. I hope I am right.

Hello GardeniaBlossom! So glad to read that you have had a window, it is just a small taste of what is to come. Your brain and body will heal, time and rest is the great healer. Keep the faith and be kind and gentle with yourself. What an encouragement that you are already having windows. I get the general feeling from what I've read here that the CT folks often take longer to heal and experience more windows and waves, but it will happen in time and you will feel better than ever! Forgive me for repeating myself if I already recommended Baylissa Frederick's Recovery and Renewal to you, but she experienced a very long protracted WD and her book was so encouraging to me when I was really struggling with WD. Take care GB.  :)

2005-2009, Lexapro 10 - 20 mg, CT WD w/severe depression and anxiety:  2010-2015, Paxil, 30 - 40 mg, tapered off at 10 mg/week, moderate anxiety and depression:  2010-2015, Clonozapam 0.25 mg, as needed for anxiety and sleep:  1/10/2015, Zoloft 25 mg, tried to increase to 50 and 75, but nausea and dizziness:  2/13/2015, Paxil 5 mg, added back after 2 weeks at zero to reduce WD:  2/28/2015, Paxil 10 mg, increased from 5 mg to reduce WD, HOLDING:  3/04/2015, Zoloft discontinued (reduced to ~12.5 mg on 2/19, ~6.25 mg on 2/26, then zero):  4/26/2015, Paxil starting 10% taper (no scale so was inadvertently at 20% taper, yikes!):  4/30/2015, Paxil 10 mg, reinstated (WD disappeared between August 2015 and May 2016)

5/02/2016, Started 10% taper, reinstated to 10 mg on 5/11/16:  4/29/2017, Last dose of Paxil (working with holistic psychiatrist, lots of supplements to aid WD):  Primary symptoms: apathy, demotivation, anhedonia, fatigue, stress intolerance, moderate social anxiety

7/1/2018 Finally feeling like myself again, success!!! Praise God! Even with the stress of relocating recently, I am feeling pretty good most of the time now. Granted, I eat healthy, I exercise, I don't drink caffeine or alcohol and I try hard find a healthy balance of quiet and social times. Hang in there and keep the faith, you can do it too!

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow Gardenia Blossom - what a journey you have been on!  And so amazing that you are starting to heal, starting to see the horizon, and the path to that horizon!

You wrote:

My agenda for the day is surrender, be more like the  water, a new skill for me to master.

My Tai Chi Master takes it a step further.

Cutting a sword through rock is hard - and leaves a long lasting mark.

Cutting a sword through earth - not as hard, and the mark heals more quickly.

Cutting a sword through sand - becomes easier, and in a day, the mark is blown over.

Cutting a sword through water - and the water swirls, barely knowing the sword was there.

BUT - cut a sword through the air - and the molecules dance around the sword, embracing it, changing with the movement of the sword.

The element of the heart is air.  Be like air. 

Then, I was disturbed to hear this:

I don't appreciate being talked down to and told that I need to do more research before asking questions on this board when it's the condition that prevents me from doing any more than I'm able to. That behavior is condescending and aggressive. I don't feel I can afford to subject myself to that while I am so vulnerable. There's a way in which people can hide behind excessive anonymity and act aggressively in ways that are sanctioned in this kind of environment. I experienced that recently here and didn't appreciate it. So, I haven't been around as much as I was before.

Oh GB, I'm sorry to hear this, and sorry to hear you feel this way.  I know nothing about the circumstances that led to this, I can only give you a taste of the "mod perspective."

I read a lot of horrific stories.  Day in, day out.  Amazingly, I have to smack myself because often it sounds like the same story I just read, and it's hard to remind myself that this is A NEW PERSON with the same problem.  The questions are frequently the same, and often we are ignored, as the suggestions we make are inconvenient, or don't fit with the worldview of the person whose problem we are addressing.  Sometimes it takes months for the light bulb to come on - and still - we persist.

Here are the most common ones:  "But I have a chemical imbalance."  "I need these drugs."  "I'm afraid to go off."  "I'm afraid to reinstate."  "I'm going to taper too fast because I want the evil drug out of my system." "I'm going to ask my doctor." "I can't take this anymore I have to do something." 

The same stories are repeated over and over, and it is easy for moderators - who are entirely volunteer - to lose it.  To burn out.  After our suggestions are ignored, or the links or information we provide isn't looked at or addressed, we feel helpless.  There is not much else we can do.  We are not counselors, we aren't even cheerleaders.  We are librarians, holding a torch to point the way into the darkness - but we can't go into the darkness for you, we can only show you.  I always hope to show an SA member what s/he needs right now, but - I am only human.  And it's frustrating when I spend time, emotional & mental energy, and effort for someone, only to be ignored - which happens all too often.

Additionally, it is SA policy that we give you links to information - to set you on the course of finding out for yourself what you need to know to heal.  This is because we don't know what you, as an individual, need to heal.  Sadly, if you are too sick, or only have this site via mobile phone, this can be limited in its success.

I'm not writing this to excuse your feeling - I'm writing it to acknowledge your feeling, in the hopes that if you understand what a moderator is and does and experiences, you won't take personally what you may have felt was curt or demeaning.

In reading your thread, I see that you have been very good about taking charge of your own healing process.  It is not so for everyone.  If you felt diminished or demeaned by someone here, I am sorry.  That was not the intent of the moderator, whoever it was.  Please don't take it personally.

And the good news, you announce: 

I've noticed that not all coffee throws me into a wave which is good news since I adore coffee.

Ah!  Have you discovered BulletProof Coffee yet?  Adding a little grass-fed butter (Kerrygold is the brand in the US, though Aldi organic butter is good, too) and coconut oil to your coffee?  It slows the spikiness of coffee, and prevents that after-coffee crash, too.

I hope you will continue to grace our forums - you have a quiet, gentle spirit, and we'd love to hear of your writing and art - and celebrate your recovery!

And - I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Mentor

I get it...we all wish there was a faster and easier way. And it does sometimes feel it will go on forever. I stopped the month before you did, so we are similar on that count. I've had some times of feeling I was ready to rejoin the human race in some fashion...only to be followed by days of hardly being able to get out of the house (or not at all). Today I was giving a tailgater the finger while I was driving..very nice for a 60 year-old-woman...just feeling grumpy about life in general and someone driving too close was all it took to set me off. Yes, I too, wish things were easier.

hahah,,  you just joined the human race again!!!  haha             I remember a guy tooted me, at a roundabout, he did not see I could not drive on because of an obstacle (he could not see), so I went so, sooooo , sooooooo slow........around and off the roundabout,  he was so angry, he took off around me, tyres screaming, and damn suddenly a car  in front of him, right hand lane, stopped, and indicated right.......... he managed to swerve into the left land, tail swinging wildly.....   well me met at the next roundabout, next to each other, he would not look at me, and he took the first right he could,    am I evil, no he learnt his lesson, I reckon.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

One of the ways the drugs helped me for the time they did was I think they allowed me to feel more confident and outgoing. (That's a hypothesis. I don't know if that's actually true or not. It seems to have been. I'm still figuring that out.)

I don't know if you identify with being an introvert or not. But that, I mean someone who gains energy by being alone...more than they do by being with others. Many people seem to think introversion means you don't like people or only want to be alone..which is not true. It's more of a scale anyway, with folks being along a continuum. 

Being an introvert in western cultures is very challenging. Most people misunderstand and think you are standoffish or snobby. They don't get that a lot of interaction is draining. They think there's something wrong with those who want to spend more time alone. Introverts tend to be more reflective, take things and want to contemplate them..and may not always be up for rapid-fire conversation or have a quick answer for something. Even though introversion is common, it is not considered the norm in N. America at least. I haven't lived in other places, so don't know if it's different elsewhere.

If you add to this, being a more sensitive person...well, it's easy to understand feeling different than the rest of the culture. I'm not much of a fan of labels, as they can become very limiting...but having a sense of things helps me to accept myself much more than I did when I was younger.

Maybe something of this will resonate with you?

Yes, I do identify with being an introvert. When I took the Myers Briggs test, I scored 80% introvert. My understanding was that was a high score to have in one area. I'm also sensitive. To add to that, I'm an immigrant. Though I've lived in the US for most of life, I'll never be from or of the culture I live in. So, you're absolutely right. There are many reasons for feeling out of step and having a sense of where those feelings come from helps. 

I've read that there are other cultures where there are more introverts. If I remember correctly, they were in Asia (so, not western), but I can't remember now what countries specifically.

So true,  I feel like I am an immigrant............ in that I live in a town that belongs to my ex husband.... to be accepted here, you have to be born here........

So I struggle on, despite the "whatever",  until my kids have grown....................   I now realise that my only life, was in within the confines of my ex and his family.  I now discover there are other people out there, I have to find and make friends.  The town suddenly feels bigger................

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

• Mentor

Wow Gardenia Blossom - what a journey you have been on!  And so amazing that you are starting to heal, starting to see the horizon, and the path to that horizon!

You wrote:

My agenda for the day is surrender, be more like the  water, a new skill for me to master.

My Tai Chi Master takes it a step further.

Cutting a sword through rock is hard - and leaves a long lasting mark.

Cutting a sword through earth - not as hard, and the mark heals more quickly.

Cutting a sword through sand - becomes easier, and in a day, the mark is blown over.

Cutting a sword through water - and the water swirls, barely knowing the sword was there.

BUT - cut a sword through the air - and the molecules dance around the sword, embracing it, changing with the movement of the sword.

The element of the heart is air.  Be like air. 

Then, I was disturbed to hear this:

I don't appreciate being talked down to and told that I need to do more research before asking questions on this board when it's the condition that prevents me from doing any more than I'm able to. That behavior is condescending and aggressive. I don't feel I can afford to subject myself to that while I am so vulnerable. There's a way in which people can hide behind excessive anonymity and act aggressively in ways that are sanctioned in this kind of environment. I experienced that recently here and didn't appreciate it. So, I haven't been around as much as I was before.

Oh GB, I'm sorry to hear this, and sorry to hear you feel this way.  I know nothing about the circumstances that led to this, I can only give you a taste of the "mod perspective."

I read a lot of horrific stories.  Day in, day out.  Amazingly, I have to smack myself because often it sounds like the same story I just read, and it's hard to remind myself that this is A NEW PERSON with the same problem.  The questions are frequently the same, and often we are ignored, as the suggestions we make are inconvenient, or don't fit with the worldview of the person whose problem we are addressing.  Sometimes it takes months for the light bulb to come on - and still - we persist.

Here are the most common ones:  "But I have a chemical imbalance."  "I need these drugs."  "I'm afraid to go off."  "I'm afraid to reinstate."  "I'm going to taper too fast because I want the evil drug out of my system." "I'm going to ask my doctor." "I can't take this anymore I have to do something." 

The same stories are repeated over and over, and it is easy for moderators - who are entirely volunteer - to lose it.  To burn out.  After our suggestions are ignored, or the links or information we provide isn't looked at or addressed, we feel helpless.  There is not much else we can do.  We are not counselors, we aren't even cheerleaders.  We are librarians, holding a torch to point the way into the darkness - but we can't go into the darkness for you, we can only show you.  I always hope to show an SA member what s/he needs right now, but - I am only human.  And it's frustrating when I spend time, emotional & mental energy, and effort for someone, only to be ignored - which happens all too often.

Additionally, it is SA policy that we give you links to information - to set you on the course of finding out for yourself what you need to know to heal.  This is because we don't know what you, as an individual, need to heal.  Sadly, if you are too sick, or only have this site via mobile phone, this can be limited in its success.

I'm not writing this to excuse your feeling - I'm writing it to acknowledge your feeling, in the hopes that if you understand what a moderator is and does and experiences, you won't take personally what you may have felt was curt or demeaning.

In reading your thread, I see that you have been very good about taking charge of your own healing process.  It is not so for everyone.  If you felt diminished or demeaned by someone here, I am sorry.  That was not the intent of the moderator, whoever it was.  Please don't take it personally.

And the good news, you announce: 

I've noticed that not all coffee throws me into a wave which is good news since I adore coffee.

Ah!  Have you discovered BulletProof Coffee yet?  Adding a little grass-fed butter (Kerrygold is the brand in the US, though Aldi organic butter is good, too) and coconut oil to your coffee?  It slows the spikiness of coffee, and prevents that after-coffee crash, too.

I hope you will continue to grace our forums - you have a quiet, gentle spirit, and we'd love to hear of your writing and art - and celebrate your recovery!

And - I hope you see the sun today!

Most wonderful post Jan Carol, I have so enjoyed reading this thread, so wonderful to read from someone who writes so beautifully............ I also was an artist, I love clay.............. one day, I may do it again.  meantime.... I need to grab my camera!  Thanks so much for the inspiration  GB!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Tomorrow, it will be a full year since I took psychiatric drugs. I am in another window. On days like today, I feel like one day I will recover completely from not just the withdrawal but also the 16 years I was on psychiatric drugs. I hope I am right.

I was smiling when I read this, I also had a lovely big window which started around Oct 1. I'm sure that windows are small previews of the full recovery which we are headed for.

I've just been reading through your thread and as I was reading I was noticing a beautiful fragrance filling my room, it was strange because there was nowhere for this to be coming from, then I noticed your name and wondered if this is what Gardenia Blossoms smell like. As I finished your thread, the fragrance faded away.

I don't appreciate being talked down to and told that I need to do more research before asking questions on this board when it's the condition that prevents me from doing any more than I'm able to. That behavior is condescending and aggressive. I don't feel I can afford to subject myself to that while I am so vulnerable.

I'm sorry you received an upsetting response from another member, in response to a question you asked in the 'how to use this site' topic, I think this is what you are referring to. Please don't take it personally or let it discourage you from using the site, if this is still causing you concern, please send me a PM.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

I love that image, Petunia. Thank you for mentioning it. I love the smell of gardenias. It's one of my favourite scents.

Ang, I understand and appreciate that perspective. Thanks for explaining it. What you all may be experiencing sounds something like compassion fatigue. I cannot imagine taking the role you do. The episodes I've had of being talked down to here didn't occur with moderators. I think I described this before in an earlier post, but when someone with cognitive impairment cannot do the research necessary to find information, then a "librarian" is necessary but not one whose tone is condescending or abrasive. In order to maintain a space where people feel safe and can come to heal, this cannot be allowed to occur on a consistent basis, in my opinion. I mentioned my experience to make others who follow my thread aware of one reason I didn't plan to and (now) don't frequent this space any longer. Thanks, again, for addressing my concern though.

Last month, I had what was for me a really long window. It lasted for about 11 days. I was not completely symptom free. So, it was a partial window, but it was glorious nonetheless. Then, Thanksgiving arrived. The holidays are generally a stressful time for me. I had hoped to have healed a lot more than I have at a year and two months off what was essentially a cold turkey, but alas. .. I am only where I am, i.e. still very much struggling. Today is not a good day. My mind is scrambled and my body aches. I cannot think clearly. I feel so vulnerable when I'm in a wave like this, as though I have made little progress and will never recover. This is such a difficult process. 

I've noticed how much self confidence I've lost during this process and how much I've been relying on unhealthy coping behaviors, like eating unhealthy foods when I'm anxious, for example. I wonder if I'll ever recover my confidence (or my life) and if so how. Maybe that's a task I should wait to take on once I'm stronger and further along in the process.

I struggle with shame when communicating how sick I still feel and describing the process I'm going through with people, especially those who have little to no frame of reference re: psych drug wd. The rejection I've experienced during this time has been devastating to my self-esteem. In addition, people I encounter on a day to day basis (and even friends) have no idea what I'm going through and even when they do, the difficulty of the recovery process. I find it painful when it is possible to describe. Others, particularly strangers and acquaintances think I'm fine. I'm pretty good at presenting myself as someone who is able to function which is a double edged sword. The reality is that I'm deeply impaired, and I feel demoralized when I explain, mention, or remind people of that. My family is frustrated with me as are friends. I am frustrated with myself and the length of time it's taking to recover. Several relationships with friends, family, and acquaintances have ended because they were too stressful for me to manage. 

Earlier on, a therapist who is well versed re: psych drug wd encouraged me to reach out, find support, and overcome my isolation but that process has become increasingly challenging. It's so hard to stay motivated and keep going.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for updating and for sharing what you are experiencing GB. I relate to most of what you have written, I've also lost much of what was my life and am frustrated with how long this recovery process is taking.

I've come to the conclusion that its impossible to describe accurately how difficult and challenging this particular illness/situation is to anyone who hasn't experienced it, so I don't even try any more. I do my best to console myself with the fact that we do recover eventually, if not completely, then to a level where life becomes enjoyable again and worth living. Windows give glimpses of that future, even if they close temporarily.

Lack of motivation, for reaching out for support and anything else, seems to be a common stage of the recovery process. 'Demotivation' is a symptom which I'm sure will go away over time. During my windows I've felt motivated to reach out and do all kinds of things I normally have no energy or interest in.

I've also had to endure shame at not being able to meet my own expectations and those of others, even when other people are not outwardly demanding that we do more, its still there, unspoken, we need to hurry up and get ourselves together. This time of the year creates even more pressure.

I've been going through this a little longer than you and what I've learned is the more I can let go and accept my current limitations, ignoring external pressure to be different, the easier it gets. Recovery is going to take as long as it takes and once we can settle in and accept that, doing the best we can to take care of ourselves from day to day, the smoother the journey gets.

This is a mostly unknown, unacknowledged invisible condition, so its not surprising it would be an isolating thing to go through. Reaching out for support sounds logical, but its not easy to find support for 'this' in the real world, the online withdrawal community and some spirituality based resources is the best support I've found, just enough to keep me going. But I'm lucky in that I haven't received any harsh or critical replies to my posts, I'm sorry that happened to you and you are right, this should be a safe place for us, we are doing our best to make it that way for everyone.

You're not alone in going through this, there are lots of us here experiencing the same struggles. Have you explored some of our other forums? Finding meaning   Relationships  and  Off-topic  have some interesting discussions you can join to help ease the feelings of isolation.  Also, visiting other introduction threads and offering support to others can encourage feelings of connection.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your insight, warmth, and encouragement, Petunia. They are so appreciated.

Hang in there , Gardenia Blossom.

I so love your name.  You will be ok . It's so easy to be misunderstood, in this context. I recently had my own " misunderstanding ". It's easy to get " bent out of shape ". Try not to take it personally , if you can. With " neuro - emotions , it can be hard , at times, but try if you can to stay calm.

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I figured something out. I combined a 5:1 ration of raw honey to pink Himalayan salt to help me feel more rested in the morning when I woke up for about a week. I put a little under my tongue every night before I went to sleep. I noticed the effects and felt it helped a lot. Then, I heard about another remedy: 3/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt mixed in approx. 3 ounces of water before bed. So, I tried that. I think my body may be deficient in the minerals this salt provides, because the next morning, I felt calmer, more integrated, and had significantly more energy. It didn't feel like a "window" in the way other windows have. I felt more like my overall system had been supported in a way it needed.

Last night I only drank half of the mixture and today do not feel the equivalent effect that I did yesterday though I do feel somewhat better than usual.