LucyJed: Persistent and intense anxiety after 2.5 months of Luvox and Paxil

LucyJed

Alto, I'm not sure which drug you're referring to but The only SSRI that ever worked for me was Zoloft. On the 2 attempts that I tried to reinstate I think I started with maybe 6 mg then ramped to 12 then to 18 then 25 etc. as increase occurred my suffering from anxiety also increased drastically. Currently I'm having somewhat of a window as in in vacation at the beach.

I'm really afraid of starting up on a SSRI because. They have been so damaging to me and have caused me and my family so much pain.

It's been a tough journey to become 3 months SSRI free.... Please explain why you think I should introduce a low dose reinstatement, what is the possible outcome and end game, and won't I just get better with time and waves and windows??? I'm very anxious about even the thought of taking drugs again !!

18 years on Zoloft then it quit working and started giving me anxiety.

Nothing else has worked for me at all

prescribed: pristiq, lexapro , Abilify with zoloft, Remeron, Lithium, Vybriid, Prozac, lamactil, Celexa, Paxil and Luvox

TAPERS

Zoloft - switched to Paxil after 2 week taper - big mistake

Paxil - 10% Reduction over 20 weeks. Started Luvox on week 18

Luvox - too fast of taper directed by PDoc- 25% reduction over 6 weeks because of short time on- 4 months, never worked

-tapered off everything except Lithium 300mg by April 11, 2015

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LucyJed

• Altostrata

• JanCarol

• KT38

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried reinstating Zoloft twice at 5mg and up. Caused severe anxiety and agitated depression. My ns is so acutely sensitive and temperamental I cannot tolerate the drug/.

prescribed: pristiq, lexapro , Abilify with zoloft, Remeron, Lithium, Vybriid, Prozac, lamactil, Celexa, Paxil and Luvox

TAPERS

Luvox - too fast of taper directed by PDoc- 25% reduction over 6 weeks because of short time on- 4 months, never worked

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lucy , try reading the thread on reinstating here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

The recommendation is to start at 1mg and see if it helps.    It may save you from a debilitating withdrawal.    Your system has become very used to antidepressants after 18 years. , and a long slow withdrawal might really stuff things up for you.

My withdrawal continued to evolve for almost a year before I reinstated. I just got worse and worse  - I had been housebound for 5 months by that stage.

Please consider reinstating carefully as an option.  It's worth a shot   :) .

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Fresh

I believe my ns is to sensitive to any ssri for reinstatement Besides which would I take? All gave me terrible anxiety except Zolift until it quit working and them went paradoxical.

I'm miserable in withdrawl but hopeful I'll get better and my suicide ideation is less than when I was taking SSRI.

Please give me some hope that I will recover. It's windows and waves and feeling worse in the mornings .

Are you off the drugs? Are you well ? What's it like ?

TAPERS

Alto

Any SSRI makes me very anxious and increases my suicude ideation which scares me.

I sometimes get better and it's waves and windows. Seems like WD like others have had.

Don't you think I should stay the course and u will heal as my brain adapts?? LJ

TAPERS

• Administrator

LucyJed, the ramping up on dosage increased your anxiety. We know that can happen. That is why we suggest reinstating at very low dosages. If that helps, generally we don't recommend increasing the dosage.

Withdrawal syndrome does resolve with time, but recovery can last many months or years. Reinstatement, if it works, can make reduce current symptoms and allow you to "do over" the taper at a much slower rate.

The downside of reinstatement is that it does not work, or you have an adverse reaction to the drug. Please read the links we give you, such as About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

You do not have to reinstate. If you wish to cope with symptoms, see the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for suggestions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I tried smaller dosages and later larder ones. All gave me pain and suffering ... My CNS is so whacked out, everything is toxic. Wish I had something to help me sleep past 4am

Did anything help you sleep later??

TAPERS

• Administrator

That's right, you did not stay at the smaller dosage, you ramped up. The increased dosage was too much for your system. More is not better.

There is no easy fix for withdrawal symptoms. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Alto

At first I tried 12.5 Zoloft. Didn't work so ramped up to 25mg - no good. This was the drup that worked for 16 yrs...

Then a series of new ones.

Finally I did a slow taper off Paxil - 10% over 20 weeks. But before that was over the Dr put me on Luvox, cross or bridge taper. I tapered of Luvox but only in 6 weeks.

Question, I've been off all except Luthium for 3 months .... I'm waking up with Cortisil anxiety and anxious and irritated most tge day. I could be improving , I know I'm better than when I took the drips. Is this the road to wellness ?

Basically I've be withdrawling for 4 years , I just didn't know it. with drugs thrown at me from timeno teluef fir years. So u don't know waft it's like to feel ok -- obviously I'm extremely worried about starting over..

TAPERS

• Administrator

What are the drips?

I've been talking about reinstating a small dose -- smaller than you've tried before -- because that can reduce withdrawal syndrome, including cortisol anxiety etc. You would stabilize on that dose for a few months perhaps, then taper off.

If you don't care to do that, please look at these topics and others from the Symptoms and Self-Care forum:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

I'm sorry, there are no easy answers for withdrawal syndrome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alto

I'm getting 4-5 hours sleep and anxiety is less albeit still bad in the morning between 5 and 8a. I'm getting some windows where I have a day or 2 of relief, of course I immediately thing maybe this is the end... Then the next night I'll have no sleep whatsoever and crushing anxiety and hopelessness. I'm 3.5 months off. Very slow taper on the Paxil. Only took the Luvox for 4 month so 6 weeks taper on it. Both drugs increased my insomnia and anxiety terrifically.

Also, other news is that I'm not getting the Akathasia as much, not waking with sweats and panic and heart palpitations.

Is this the normal course if recovery???

TAPERS

• Administrator

Good to hear some symptoms are fading. Yes, this is "normal" for recovery. Read The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Thanks Alto

Good to have your guidance and help while on the road to health . I never thought that it would take months to recover but considering I was in much worse shape while on the medicine and even a month ago I was so much worse - I am a bit relieved that there does seem to be less intensity, more sleep and no panic attacks, sweats or akathisia.

One thing maybe you can help me with... My wife will not discuss my condition with me anymore as she says she can't take it. She says all I do is talk about withdrawl and complain. She does not want to research or learn about it and does not support me during this tough time. She doesn't want me to mention it which is hard since I have chronic anxiety and insomnia and it hurts. I tell her that I hate to dwell on it but it's kind of top of mind since it's with me all the time. She's been dealing with my health opportunity for about 4 years - she's burned out.... And never a real nurturer in the first place.

Does this happen in lots of marriages?? I don't want to lose my wife but it's difficult with no support at home and my friends have pretty much abandoned me because of the illness.. Par for the course?? Any advise??? I'm a good guy still working and being a good dad while still suffering through this hell....

TAPERS

• Administrator

Please discuss this in the Relationships forum. Most people here have found they cannot rely on others in their lives to support them in this situation. You will need to be self-reliant.

• 1 month later...

Hello

I'm 5 months off Luvox and very discouraged as I thought I'd be much better by now.

Per my Drs instruction I weened of over a 6 week period, but since the drug never really helped me and made me more anxious it seemed ok to wean off. The problem was that I took Zoloft for 18 years and it quit working. No other ads worked. So I had to quit everything.

Now I'm taking nothing . At first I had lots of Akathsia, anxiety, and insomnia. I wake at 4m with severe panic and sweats...

Now I get several days of windows (mostly anxiety). Followed by several days of intense anxiety and I geeky like I'll never get well. I sleep about 4-5 hours. And my brain is always foggy.

So is this normal for withdrawl? And am I healing? How long does this go on?

TAPERS

Yes, that's normal for withdrawal. It's good that you have windows. They will become more frequent and longer in time.

No one knows how long it will last, it's unique for each individual, but generally speaking - it's a long term ordeal, unfortunately. 

Some people recover faster than others, some people have more brutal withdrawal than others. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LucyJed ,     5 months off is relatively early days after 18 years on ssri's.

What you're experiencing is , unfortunately , very common for this situation.    You may have some months of this ahead of you yet.  

It's going to be windows and waves till it wears itself out , so hunker down.

Remember , the waves always do pass.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

welcome 'lucyjed' 6 weeks might have been too quick .I did my initial taper over 6 weeks also .At least your sleeping quite well considering.How long were you taking  luvox ?

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

LucyJed , this forum is one thread per customer.    Perhaps this discussion can continue on your other thread

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Ok. Not sure about the threads . Just want some advise and support. So I should go back to my original topic? When your battling the monster which is ad withdrawl some times you don't always think clearly.....

TAPERS

Hi everyone-

I need some help and reassurance .

I've been I off all ADs for 5 months. I weaned off Luvox faster than I should have because I only took it for 4 months and it didn't work and made me worse with Anxiety and Insomnia. Prior to that was Paxil which I took for 9 months and never worked. I weaned of it in 4 months. I didn't know about withdrawl tapering protocol - and I was just doing what my psych told me to do. I had for 18 years taken Zoloft and then it quit working - so I thought that I just needed to switch ADs. No other ADs worked after Zoloft..... So for 3 years I tried several and all were torturous.

Now after 5 months, i get several days sometimes that I don't have intense symptoms. Windows.... I still don't feel great but better and more normal. Then I get the waves - anxiety, worry, insomnia, body aches , panic attacks at 4am. Etc.

So this is the healing process? This is normal for AD withdrawl ?

It's terrible because during the windows I think OK I'm getting over it, back to a normal life..... And then bam, back to hell.

Can anyone tell me if they have similiar experience. How long until relief comes? Do windows get longer and then fade away?

Please. Need some reassurance. I'm worn out and having a very difficult time hanging on to my job and family.

Thanks LJ

TAPERS

Thanks Fresh!

I appreciate the feedback. So this is normal.... It's a good sign that I'm getting the windows I guess. And all you can do with the waves is hunker down. Very tough , especially when I'm in a demanding work environment and have family to support and love.

Also, not much support.... I wish I had some kind of timetable I could refer to. In these waves I start giving up hope because of the insomnia and intense anxiety that feels like the flu.

TAPERS

• Moderator Emeritus

New topic merged with original intro thread. LucyJed, please bookmark or follow this thread so you can find it again easily, its one intro/update topic per member so we can keep all your information in one place.

See: The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Alto

I am still experiencing the early morning cortisol blasts that are associated with finally getting into a deep sleep and then my brain being startled. As you said its like the brain is afraid of getting too deep of sleep.

What can be done about this? Why is this happening?

LJ

TAPERS

• 2 weeks later...

Alto,

I'm 6 months out and still wake at 4 with anxiety rush. It gets better during the day but I'm exhausted with the 4-5 hrs sleep.

I guess it's too late for reinstatement and really all ssri s. Cause anxiety in me. So does sjw, triptophan and Htp 5.

The Lamictal idea of 1mg sounds interesting but I'm afraid to get back on a psych drug after a long bag grueling 6 months .

I'm using mostly magnesium, acupuncture and some Chinese herbs for anxiety (not very strong).and meditation.

Am I just supposed to wait it out? I'm windows and waves. Mostly waves. Anxiety all day 24 hours. Memory effected. Can't recall words or events. Some depression and emotional sadness. Did I mention very little sleep?

Is this the norm?? Advice?

LJ

TAPERS

LucyJed, I am at the end of 6 months off and still have horrible constant anxiety, too, so you are not alone.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Hello

I've been off Luvox and ativan for 6 months. I still have anxiety, depression and insomnia but not as bad.

My goal is to get off the Lithium that I hate as it makes me foggy and overweight.

My taper is 10% every 2 weeks. But after 5 days I feel more depressed and anxious. This may go away, ..

But now I'm thinking that maybe I should wait until I'm totally healed for the SSRI and Benzo withdrawl. Whenever that is....

Can someone give me a suggestion or experience.

thanks. LJ

TAPERS

• Moderator Emeritus

New topic merged with original intro thread. LucyJed, please bookmark or follow this thread so you can find it again easily, its one intro/update topic per member so we can keep all your information in one place.

If I were you I'd stop tapering Lithium for now and wait until you are recovered from your previous tapers. Your symptoms indicate that your nervous system is still unstable and you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, it may take a while before this settles down again, but if you continue tapering, its likely to get worse.

You were on these drugs for over 18 years, so I wouldn't expect you to be completely recovered after 6 months. How did you taper? Did you used the 10% method. Please would you put some information about how you tapered in your signature.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear LucyJed,

You haven't really listened to the other moderators, what makes you think you will listen to me?  This post will sound stern, but I remind you that you asked for it in PM.

You were on SSRI's for over 18 years.  You will not be better in a month, or two, or 5, or a year.  This may take years.  Maybe 5 years.  Maybe less, maybe more. My crystal ball is out-of-order, I can only tell you that you need to be prepared to hunker down and ride it out for the long haul.  You need to learn to cope with your symptoms, since you decided that our suggestions about reinstatement were not for you.  (I still believe it would've helped you, but I do understand your fear of taking any more of the drugs that caused this mess.)

DO NOT TAPER THE LITHIUM while you are so unstable.  Leave it alone.  Get your kidney and liver function tests done.  DO NOT TAPER THE LITHIUM.  It is actually protecting you from the worst of the withdrawal.  You are on a pretty low dose of it, anyway.  It is unlikely to cause problems at this dose, and more likely to confer benefit.

Did you hear that?  If you had not been on lithium - IT WOULD BE WORSE than it is now.  I'll say it one more time:  DO NOT TAPER THE LITHIUM!

So stop.  Settle.  Don't do anything.  Learn to live with what you have.  Others have provided the links for meditation.  I will stop yelling now.  I'm sorry for being so harsh, but imagine your own child is in an emotional state, and you see them spinning in circles and circles, you have to tell them to stop.  

You will not see the horizon or the path, until you stop.  Be still.  Let it settle.

For months, even years.  Then, when you have calmed, I'll be happy to help you get off the lithium.  

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

That's pretty harsh JanCarol.

You may have misunderstood my situation, as I had already tapered from the Luvox before I found SA. Not realizing that a 6 week taper on a drug that I took for 4 months and never worked would be this harmful in addition to giving me paradoxical anxiety reaction . Of course my psych told me to do it even faster. Same with Lithium.

The reinstatement seemed like an unlikely alternative since no SSRIs at any level did anything but cause more anxiety, however I did not try anything at a low dose of 1 or 2 mg. But at this point I can't even take a small multivitamin.

Zoloft worked for 18 years, I just took it and Drs said that I'll need it the rest of my life so don't worry about getting off it. Of course when it quit working and went paradoxical I went to every Dr I town and took all kinds of meds... Nothing worked, all made me sicker.

I felt that I am slowly healing with the help of meditation, acupuncture and magnesium. But the Lithium withdrawl has messed me up again. A 10% withdrawl and after 5 days - worse depression and anxiety.

I am also becoming more compassionate with myself and others however my wife is very Intolerant of the situation and is hostile with regards to me complaining about symptoms. I can't blame her though because she hates mental illness and doesn't understand it.

I have a young son that I care for very much and have a difficult time being around him when I'm hurting so much because I don't want him to know how messed up I am. My wife is becoming more angry at me and lashing out at my son but she won't get any help or read about the condition I have. My situation seems grim and scary. Sometimes like a bad dream that I can't wake up from.

I pray to God for relief and healing but for now I get nothing.

Please don't be harsh, I need hope... I am learning and as with everyone else this is not what I remotely considered would happen with my life. I was without a job, and miserable in 1993 , next thing a Dr gave me Zoloft to help. 22 years later .....

TAPERS

The memory gets better for me it has at least hang in there . I am like 5 months in the first few months were brutal for cogniton and memory now it has improved.

Been on 1 year cymbalta, 1 year  pristiq, zoloft 2 years nad seroquel 2 years.Now I've been off everything since February 2015. so 6 months free. Still have insomnia, short term memory problems, brain fog these are the only problems hope they will improve.

• Moderator Emeritus

LucyJed,

Even if you were ready to be tapering Lithium, and I don't think you are, 10% every two weeks is too fast. I can understand you wanting to get off it, but your brain and nervous system can only work at repairs as fast as they can, if you get into a fight with them, they will win and you will end up feeling worse than you do now.

You have chosen not to reinstate in order to taper slower, which is fine, but the consequences of that decision is that you have to be patient, and learn how to tolerate withdrawal symptoms while you recover.

Many of us have had to deal with friends and family who don't understand what's going on with us, it can add to an already difficult situation. Have a look in our  Relationships  forum to see how others have deal with it, maybe start a topic there for support for your particular situation.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

LucyJed,

I understood your entire story.  18 years on Zoloft, 9 months on Paxil, another 4 months on Luvox.  A severely destabilised system.  Suffering.  Time to stop.

Did you hear the part where it could be worse if you were off the lithium?  As much as I've struggled with lithium, please stay on the lithium.  It's not a high dose.  If it's not hurting you, it's probably helping you.  

I know you are not getting support at home, few of us do.  When I saw you thrashing about, I felt it was better to hold you down than to kick you some more.  Either way, it's hard on you, it's hard on me, too.  

Starting a new taper, when you haven't settled from all of the old stuff is not going to make you better.  I want to help you get better.

It is vital to your recovery that you learn to be still.  I can see how, you could go to a doc in a panic and s/he would give you more drugs.  If you can't settle, you could go that path again, and the next level of drugs is the neuroleptics, called "anti-psychotics."  I know you don't want to go there.

It will get better - but it takes time.  You can't keep making changes every day, every week, every month, and you need to learn for yourself how to cope.  I can't come over there and cope for you!  Nor can Petunia or Alto!  If you have a new symptom today - write it down.  Count how many days you have that symptom or set of symptoms.  Notice how it changes.  It will change. Plan on weeks, months, see where you are by April 11, 2016.  You can do it.  You've had windows, you will have more.

We have lots and lots of tools here.  Here are some of my favorites:

Qi Gong

Yoga

Tai Chi

Mindfulness

Guided calming meditations

Gardening

Walking

Pets

Phone a Friend

Get a massage

Acupuncture

Karate - or Circuit Training, but gently!

Stupid Games on Facebook

Listen to music

Watch a DVD (avoid commercials, horror, anything stimulating) or TV show

Craft - for me it's colouring books

Play with children

Make a list of things you can do, and when you start spinning your wheels, look at your list and pick one - any one will do - and do that for awhile.  When you can't stand it anymore, switch.  Do something else.  If you're interested in any of the above things, I can get you more information.

Waiting is hard work.  Holding is hard work.  That is the hard work you have before you.  We can help you, and we are helping you - but you need to learn to look inside yourself for whatever it is you need in order to hold, to wait.  Time is the healer - I know it sounds cliche.  But you can't jump at your symptoms, even when you are knee deep in mud, covered in seaweed, and gasping for air.  That is the time to be calm, to breathe, to find a way to be with yourself - even when it's the hardest thing to do.

I'm sorry I shocked you, I'm hoping it helps, though.  I'm always hoping to help.  And it does get better.  But it takes time.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 3 months later...

Dear JanCarol

It's been a while but I want to thank you for your direction. It's been extraordinary and difficult the last few months. Holidays were very difficult.

I did have a nice wave that lasted about 2 weeks from December 30 to January 12. Now I'm back in the ****. Very anxious and my body aches. My wife gets mad at me when I get sick again but that's because I get anxious and start to OCD about our life and it drives her crazy. She will not comfort me when I'm having symptoms so it's even tougher. I guess that' the way it is for most. Her therapist told her that I am probably a non drinking alcoholic and I have lots of childhood neurosis? She does get the AD withdrawl because it should only last a month or so.

As you say, time is the healer. It's been 9 months, but I'm getting some windows every once in a while. I feel horrible but have hope and need some encouragement.

TAPERS

I meant to say that I had a window that lasted almost 2 weeks, then abruptly went away and got steadily worse for a while. I wish could prolong the Windows....

TAPERS

• Administrator

Don't we all! Still, sounds like some improvement, hold onto that.

If I were you, I'd work out this "non-drinking alcoholic" thing with your spouse, that sounds like quite a painful misunderstanding.