Bonpensiero: Updosing - how much?

Bonpensiero

Hello bonpensiero, i want to know how are you feeling these days. I reinstated like you 2 weeks ago 5 mg lexapro, after a fast taper (6 months) and i have goods and bads days, but the bad days are horrible: high cortisol, bad sleep, crying, strange and suicidal thoughts, etc. so that's make be very scared. The good days are normal, i sleep good, very low anxiety, but i feel with no much energy and do not want to have sex (like an eunuch :angry: ). The fact is that as we are both in a similar way it is interesting to see how are you improving.

hugs from raul.

Hi Raul - as you can see from my last reply to Altostrata, I am OK, but only just OK. However, I feel much better on 2mg than on 0mg. 0mg was truly dreadful. I am holding at 2mg for the moment, trying to decide whether to go up to 2.5 or 3 (see my earlier post again). 

Best wishes,

Bonpensiero

20mg Fluoxetine daily for 13 years. I did two tapers (both before I found this site). The first, about three years ago, was by breaking open the capsule and reducing the amount of powder. I did that for about 8 months. My doc then told me this was wrong and that, if I wanted to taper, I should use the liquid form. I then went on to the liquid form at full dose and started to taper again. This second taper took about a year, ending in about May this year. Since then, due to bad withdrawal, I have reinstated to 2mg and am just about coping, but not exactly thriving.

Update: November 2015: upped reinstatement dosage to 4mg on advice received here. Since then, periods of feeling OK alternating with deep pits of suicidal despair, but the former are just about winning out over the latter. Was seriously considering going back on at full dosage for good, but have so far managed to resist that temptation. 

Update Feb 2016: feeling OK, although still not immune from waves of despair and deep depression. Reduced the 4mg by 10% with the aim of eventually getting back down to zero again, which I will be doing very, very, very slowly. Also taking 100mg 5HTP daily, which helps a little.   

Right. Well, it's all up to you. From this point, you need to listen to your body for your guidance. If you make any increases, make them very, very carefully, by tiny amounts.

Noted. But I do sometimes wonder about the advice to reinstate only by very small incremental amounts. I worry that by doing that you are never going to get the full benefit of the drug. It seems to me it would be better to give your CNS the big hit it needs, rather than doing it by drip-feed, and thereby running the risk that your CNS won't really register the fact that you've reinstated, and you will therefore build up intolerance to the drug by stealth.

I have read on here that a too-high reinstatement can be dangerous, but then there also seem to be people who've reinstated at full dose with no problems. So I don't know what to think. I keep thinking that, because I tapered too fast, I should go back to the beginning and start again, rather than going back to 10% of my original dose.

Best wishes,

Bonpensiero 

20mg Fluoxetine daily for 13 years. I did two tapers (both before I found this site). The first, about three years ago, was by breaking open the capsule and reducing the amount of powder. I did that for about 8 months. My doc then told me this was wrong and that, if I wanted to taper, I should use the liquid form. I then went on to the liquid form at full dose and started to taper again. This second taper took about a year, ending in about May this year. Since then, due to bad withdrawal, I have reinstated to 2mg and am just about coping, but not exactly thriving.

Update: November 2015: upped reinstatement dosage to 4mg on advice received here. Since then, periods of feeling OK alternating with deep pits of suicidal despair, but the former are just about winning out over the latter. Was seriously considering going back on at full dosage for good, but have so far managed to resist that temptation. 

Update Feb 2016: feeling OK, although still not immune from waves of despair and deep depression. Reduced the 4mg by 10% with the aim of eventually getting back down to zero again, which I will be doing very, very, very slowly. Also taking 100mg 5HTP daily, which helps a little.   

• Administrator

I can't tell you what's right for you. We have many people here who have done well with reinstatement of small dosages. The risk of adverse reactions from sensitized nervous systems is very real, so we believe it's better to err on the side of caution.

Your assumption that a big hit of psychoactive chemicals is just what a sensitized nervous system needs is incorrect, but it conforms to the attitude of many doctors.

We've found quite definitively that more is not necessarily better.

I've given you the information, you need to decide for yourself. There's nothing more I can add.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.