Effect of Drugs on Longevity?

SelmaLady

Just read a post by Alto that indicated the damage that drugs do to the system so that life expectancy in shortened because of them.  I have been on Zoloft for 24 years and am wondering how much damage that has done me?  Also, I know that the system has to work overtime to clear drugs but I'm wondering just what causes the loss of years??  If this topic has already been posted, I couldn't find it...

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

• Administrator

Studies show that taking combinations of drugs over a long time erode general health.

Risks go up when the number of drugs taken chronically is more than two. Drug-drug interactions are increased.

It's best to take as few drugs as possible, and only when a medical condition requires it.

There's no use worrying about something you've been doing for 24 years. No one can predict or estimate what it has done to your health.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Selma,

Alto's point is the correct one.  There is no reason increasing your stress and cortisol levels (creating inflammation, etc) worrying about the theoretical risks that might exist.  The studies are all over the map on this one and you can find studies that will show exactly the result you want to achieve.  There are studies out there that will advise that the interaction of some antidepressants with brain chemistry is such that it reduces the risk of brain cancer and increases longevity.  I think personally that there are metabolic issues that arise from the use of antidepressants such as diabetes that decrease lifespan but it is very individualized.  In addition, when you look at a/d users as a class they are more likely to commit suicide than the general population and it is not clear when statistics are bandied about whether or not those statistics take that into account.  If they do then it stands to reason that there will be significant reductions in life expectancy.

Doing what you can to reduce usage by weaning off and otherwise taking care of yourself is wise advice in any situation.  What the studies don't reflect is whether or not there is causation with respect to a/d use or whether it is correlation and to what levels of each. 

Finally, given that the SSRIs came to the fore in 1987 with Prozac, there is not really enough data in my mind to draw firm conclusions given all of the factors that go into making an analysis.

My working hypothesis is that for every crappy year you are given for being on or getting off these drugs, you are entitled to one good one after you get off and feel better.  No science behind that but I'm sticking to it!

:ph34r:

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Thank you so much Alto and Andy.   Very encouraging and certainly true that I can only move forward and take as good care of myself as I can. 

Andy, I really appreciate the info and analysis.  I have read some on the effect of drugs on the life span but good to know that there's no really complete published study proving the effect of SSRI's on one's general life span expectancy.  I am tapering and will continue to get OFF. 

I see that you are tapering sertraline also.  Hoping that your voyage off is a smooth one for you.

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Selma.

I hope your journey goes well.

Just to clarify -- I'm sure there are people who have done studies that would use them to support the idea that SSRI use reduces lifespan as a general rule.  My point is simply that there are way too many variables in any one person's situation to be able to point to the fact that it was SSRI use alone that caused shorter lifespan and that, therefore, any such statistical analysis can be manipulated to create results-driven findings.  

Having said that, if the only question was SSRI use vs. no SSRI use would I rather be in the camp that hadn't taken an SSRI?  

For myriad reasons having little to do with longevity specifically, the answer is a resounding YES.

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

They erode it.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy