☼ Fatpaxiller: Post AD weight gain concerns

FatPaxiller

* Two quotes copied from another topic to add relevant history

When I originally went on SSRI's back in 2008 (Prozac) I was very slim. Within about 8-10 months I was up a whole dress size and bigger than when pregnant. I never ate more that is guaranteed. I then switched to Citalopram 2 years ago and gained a further 3lbs, then after 5 months I suffered depersonalisation and switched to Paroxetine and gained 12lbs more.
Nobody in the world can convince me that these do not alter metabolism. I have been drug free now for almost 11 months and have lost 7lbs. I feel better physically (although I feel depressed still, but I'm managing without A/D's even though I never thought that was possible).
I have been told that if I never ate more it must be because of my age, but nobody gains 12lbs in as many months, twice due to 'age' (I'm currently 26 and my family are skinny). I still have a lot of weight to lose, but from what I've read it can take upto 2 years to even start coming off (I noticed my loss in December, so almost 8 months off, literally dropped off although I haven't lost any since).

....Anyway, a little update!
Before starting a/ds I was 8 stone 7. After 8 months on Prozac I was 1 stone heavier. This stabilised and I remained this weight for 4 years. Then I come off Prozac in June/July of 2012, reinstated in the September due to relationship issues and then March 2013 was switched to Citalopram for Anxiety that I'd never previously had (could it have been caused by reinstating?). A few months later it wasn't working and I was prescribed the dreaded Paroxetine! I gained a stone in around 6 months and was 10 stone 6 at my heaviest and with Paroxetine the weight did not stabilise it just continues to creep up.
This was enough to make me quit c/t and I'm now 11 months med free.
In Dec 14, I lost 6lb. They literally dropped off. So I have felt more of a push to eat healthier although I still eat terrible some days and I am not down to 9 stone 7!
I believe I am proof these cause weight gain, although I am now watching what I eat it has been almost 6 years since my initial weight gain so it makes sense I wouldn't be able to eat what I could at 20.
Although I still feel depressed, losing this weight has felt incredible. It has been so easy and once I get my Health Anxiety under control then I will start to exercise too.
I really believe it lingers in your system a bit like what above post mentioned and, depending on your individual makeup, eventually it balances out and you start to return to hour previous weight (although I don't expect to bE 8stone 7 anymore as I am no longer 20).
Good luck everybody, have faith it will eventually become easier to lose the weight.
I have a theory if you were a 'naturally' slim person, that you may need to work to lose the weight, but once it's off it will stay off as I have read some people do not produce excess fat cells and I believe, until SSRIs that I was one of them as I couldn't gain weight even with weight gain.

I am interested in long term weight loss after antidepressants (for those who gained weight during with no increase in appetite).
I know compaired to a lot of people on here, I am lucky in that my 'withdrawal' has been minimal. I quit Ad's in April 2014 cold turkey and have did fantastically. The main reason I quit was due to weight gain and having already having BDD it was just too much to cope with. I gained around 28lbs on meds give or take A couple. I lost 15lbs since December 2014 doing absolutely nothing. My appetite is the same the only difference is I'm no longer taking any meds. However I still have around 13lbs left to go and haven't lost anything at all for at least 3 months and am starting to worry that this is it. Has anybody lost weight quickly and then the remainder slowly?
Thanks.

Edited by Petunia
added note and quotes
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello FP.. I moved this to the Introduction forum because this is part of your personal journey and we can better keep track that here.  We are not into DSM or ICD diagnoses, however the fact you are worried about weight gain and have issues suggestive of Body Dysmorphic Disorder is a concern.  You describe yourself as 'fat' because you have a residual 13 lbs., a very harsh self critique for a modest weight gain.  I'm not sure how helpful this forum would be in this instance, but you are most welcome to ask questions related to your use of psychotropics.

You are off all your medications.... a hearty congratulations.  It sounds like you have been able to get free without incurring significant withdrawal symptoms..  Hopefully you will not find yourself taking any again.. but just a word of caution.  In future, given you now have a history with psychotropics, you may find getting off more involved and challenging.

Please read Start a topic about yourself in this forum.  Thanks

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Hi FP,

I see by your profile that you joined the board in Dec '14 but the earliest post I can find is here. As it was not in the Introductions forum it was probably missed and you were not encouraged to start a topic for yourself. Perhaps You could start a topic and just summarize the info contained in the posts you have made to date and then give a bit of history in your signature to get you caught up.

I happened to read your post because I am nearing 3 years off ADs and have begun an exercise routine of sorts. I have posts scattered around (one recently in Symptoms) detailing the methods I am using. What I have been finding now that the sh*tstorm of acute wd is over is that my body is changing shape. ADs, I am pretty sure, caused fat to deposit in certain areas of my body where you would not normally be aware of it. The thickening around the middle is classic but I got fat on my back and different areas of my face. I only noticed the latter because I have some odd hollows on my cheeks, under and directly in line with my eyeballs and my glasses are hard on my nose because the fat on the bridge is gone.

I have a recent post in my thread about my bra strap dent being mysteriously gone. My upper thighs, as I look down at them while sitting, look differently shaped somehow but I have a nasty case of cottage cheese going on around the inner part of them, ugh.

So what I am doing is using a phone app called Lose It and set a possibly unreachable goal of the weight I was in my 20's. One pound a week and I have lost 18# since I started in April just on calorie restriction alone. I only recently added in some bike riding because I am unemployed again and my most recent bout of inactivity before that had me frozen in my chair and caused ankle swelling and weight gain. I posted that in my thread, you can read that story there if you want.

This is the first time in my life I have ever done a slow weight reduction and not a starvation diet because I wanted to get skinny fast. I cannot chance throwing my body back into wd again and I bet it could happen were I to go back to my old ways. The calorie tracker told me that it would take about 240 some days to lose my weight, a little less than a year. I have 28 more pounds to go and it says that will take me about 197 more days. But I have been at the dreaded plateau for almost a month and I just began the exercise a little over a week ago. The muscles I build up will cause my weight to rise so at some point I will need to switch my mental gears from the scale number over to how I look in the mirror and in my clothes. 120 pounds was 40+ years ago, I may not ever weigh that again and be healthy. For now I just want to get out of these size 16 jeans and back into a 10 again, whatever weight that is.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

I see by your profile that you joined the board in Dec '14 but the earliest post I can find is here. As it was not in the Introductions forum it was probably missed and you were not encouraged to start a topic for yourself. Perhaps You could start a topic and just summarize the info contained in the posts you have made to date and then give a bit of history in your signature to get you caught up.

Hi Cymbalta... I moved this discussion so it is now appears in the Introductions and updates forum. FP can add what she wants to to this thread. It's not necessary for her to start another thread as only one is allowed in this section. Thanks

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thank you for moving my topic to the correct area, however as my weight gain was a side effect of meds, how was it not in the correct place?

When I made that user name I was actually 28lbs above my pre med weight. I was actually overweight (borderline but overweight none the less). I have BDD but not weight based that has just amplified kthe issue.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by ICD or DSM?

Also I was on antidepressants for almost 6 years, there isn't a chance I would ever go back on.

Thank you for replying.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for moving my topic to the correct area, however as my weight gain was a side effect of meds, how was it not in the correct place?

When I made that user name I was actually 28lbs above my pre med weight. I was actually overweight (borderline but overweight none the less). I have BDD but not weight based that has just amplified kthe issue.

I'm a little confused as to what you mean by ICD or DSM?

Also I was on antidepressants for almost 6 years, there isn't a chance I would ever go back on.

Thank you for replying.

You did not have a thread and gave history in this message.  There is already a thread on weight gain in the Symptoms and care forum and you can add your future questions there.  Please do a search for existing topics before starting another.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/359-appetite-weight-lossweight-gain/?hl=%2Bweight+%2Bgain

There was no continuity in your history... which you now have.  I'll look back and add your earlier posts to this one..

ICD and DSM.. .that's where the doc got your diagnosis from.  We are not into diagosnes here....

Glad to hear you are not going to go back onto ADs...  hopefully no other psychotropics either! 

Hi Cymbaltawithdrawal5600,

Thank you for the information.

I also got back fat and facial fat and even bum fat where I have never had before! I was pregnant 8 years ago and never got fat in these places (I did get a little on my face).

I came over here after paxil progress shut down and kept my username hence the 'fat' part.

In April of this year I decided to exercise more as I was getting more out of breath than my 8 year old on the school run which was shameful! I also completed the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvd about 2 weeks ago (actually took me around 27 days *edit - 37 days sorry* but I finished yayyyyyyyy) and I can feel myself getting fitter, I no longer get out of breath before my child which is definitely a bonus. However my body shape looks the same and I haven't even lost an ounce! (I may have lost inches I guess I should really have measured myself).

Im currently 26 so hopeful I can get back to the weight I was pre antidepressants but am not sure how as my diet isn't too bad and I am active also. Dont know what else to do. Its stressful though as I am not sure if all my weight gain was temporary or just some of it.

Thank you for replying.

I will eventually get to changing my signature but my laptop needs fixing at the minute and my phone Internet is very frustrating, so my replies are quite rushed and I forget what's been posted by the time I have written my reply so apologies if my posts are gobbledegook.

Nope definitely no meds for me other than for physical illnesses from now on!

I have tried searching but random things are coming up and it seems I have to search the whole thread for weight gain information (as I'm using my mobile Internet it could be limiting my searches).

I self diagnosed myself with BDD as it's pretty obvious I have it, however it seems the only treatment available in the UK is CBT, which I have tried twice and hate or meds which I refuse to take so it's just something I am trying to deal with alone.

Thanks for adding previous posts to this as I have no idea how to look them up myself. If I have any further questions, need info or anything should I just add it to this post? Thanks again.

• Moderator Emeritus

FP... I just checked and you have a history of sorts in the Weight Gain thread already (see link above).  You could copy some of the info here if you want.  You might also put in a sig line that would let people know you are no longer taking ADs and how long ago you went off.  I'd suggest you link your sig line to this thread as well as the one on weight gain so you can find them in future.. see my sig for an example.  Thanks

Just keep adding to your topic. I was going to suggest you start a new topic with a new title and copy your old info from previous posts to it and then a mod could merge today's post into it but that idea was not approved by staff.

I wonder if instead of giving yourself a label such as BDD that you might want to start using a calorie tracker such as I described. I had the exact same problem as you - I was exercising like crazy last year and never lost an ounce! Come to find out, when I actually started measuring portions and tracking calories I found the problem - I was consuming far too many calories to lose weight though my clothes were fitting better (I was losing inches).

And just be aware that wd really messes with your system. Your body may resist losing weight because it needs it. Also, be careful you do not go below 1200 cals/day as that seems to make women hang on to weight instead of losing it.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I can't see anyone's signature, must be my mobile Internet. Once I sort my laptop out I'll have a proper sit down and sort my stuff out. I do have a few issues lately that I'm hoping could be withdrawal as I also have health anxiety and am worried about a few things. Once I get sorted I'm going to search for them and then I'll add onto here if I can't find info on them.

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't see anyone's signature, must be my mobile Internet. Once I sort my laptop out I'll have a proper sit down and sort my stuff out. I do have a few issues lately that I'm hoping could be withdrawal as I also have health anxiety and am worried about a few things. Once I get sorted I'm going to search for them and then I'll add onto here if I can't find info on them.

Right, you cannot use this site as effectively with a mobile.  It will be much easier with your laptop.  Would you like me to take 'sorry' out of the name of this thread? 

FP, again, good to see you here.

The thing is I used to be skinny and still had an issue with my body. I think my weight exasperates it, but isn't the cause.

I've been a UK size 8, 10 and 12 since meeting my partner almost 10 years ago and I've always been severely self conscious. If I lose this last 13lbs I'll still be self conscious. I've never ever worn a bikini for eg. And can't tie my hair up in front of people.

Its a nightmare.

I've tried and failed at calorie counting. I've also tried just cutting out sugar but as there is always sugar in my house I just end up giving in to it. I just wish I had my usual metabolism back. I don't think it's fair we have to change what we eat due to a medication. I know we naturally gain weight with age but I gained a lot in around 2 months after prozac and a similar amount again after Paroxetine. I never ever gained weight before that other than pregnancy which dropped off within 10 weeks of having my daughter.

My biggest fear is that if meds can cause weight gain, what else can they change. Susceptibility to certain illnesses, our immune system? Its horrible.

Yes please take sorry out then once I'm sorted I will merge all my posts together.

I'll sort my laptop out soon it just needs to be restored to factory settings just awaiting a relative to complete it as I do not want to lose all my files.

Thanks for the replies.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just keep adding to your topic. I was going to suggest you start a new topic with a new title and copy your old info from previous posts to it and then a mod could merge today's post into it but that idea was not approved by staff.

CW, I moved this thread before your post displayed.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes please take sorry out then once I'm sorted I will merge all my posts together.

You will not be able to merge the posts (only mods and admis can do this)... but can use the copy and paste function to the same end when your laptop is repaired.

• Moderator Emeritus

My biggest fear is that if meds can cause weight gain, what else can they change. Susceptibility to certain illnesses, our immune system? Its horrible.

Hmmm.. There probably are some valid concerns.. however this of interest as well.. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5997-health-anxiety-hypochondria-and-obsession-with-symptoms/ 

When you find your older posts, what you could do is rewrite them and I'll insert them into the first post of this thread...  that might work best.

EDITED to include the last sentence.

You might check out a book called The Adrenal Reset Diet by Christianson. When our brains are sending out signals of stress/distress it stimulates the adrenals to send out too many stress hormones. Cortisol is preparing one for imminent danger I.e. starvation, and voila the metabolism is no longer the same. Obviously I don't know if that is your issue, but a book is pretty cheap compared to other interventions.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I had a hormone test and one was cortisol (think the other 2 were oestrogen and progesterone) as I was having recurrent bouts of sickness and all came back normal. Would that diet still help? Is the book available for free? Just as I am not working at the moment I have no money of my own. Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry, the whole issue of hormones is so complicated. In the US books are available in the library one year after publication. I doubt it is quite that old, and don't know how it works in your country. One issue is what kind of testing is done. Something that is free is Alto's post on the 3 S's, I think it is pinned on the tapering page. Have you had a complete thyroid check, not just TSH? If you have frequent infection, you also might want to look up posts on general gut health. Are you using hormonal birth control? That can be an issue as well. A blog on hormones in general is www.larabriden.com. Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

Thank you for your informative post.

No I do not take any meds at all and I haven't had an infection in 8 years. I rarely even get a cold. My sickness was vomiting every 5 weeks for around 6 months but has completely gone now. I was taking Propranolol at the time which made me worry it could be that so I stopped taking that. I was taking it for Anxiety.

I will check out that post and also have a look online for that book, even if I can't find it there may be some information on the actual diet somewhere.

I did have a thyroid test but I couldn't say for sure if it was just a basic test or not. A close relative actually has an underactive thyroid so I'm sure I will have had the proper check but cannot guarantee.

Thank you again for responding

What were the symptoms that led you to an AD in the first place? Maybe a clue? You might check at www.kellybroganmd.com. She is a pdoc who is very interested in gut health. The way life is supposed to work, at least for those under 30, is that our appetite and energy expenditure match up (that has never been the case for me). I really wish you the best on sorting this out and hope it will bring you to a healthy place overall.

56 years old

I had PND and was constantly being asked to go on Ads which I never ever wanted to take but gave in in the end. Big mistake. I was always one of those people who couldn't gain weight until Prozac. I come from a family of skinny people who basically eat everything in site. Im not going to lie, my diet isn't fantastic (although I eat plenty of veg), but my diet has always been the same without fail. Even during pregnancy I didn't eat more as I had a large appetite to begin with. Also, with me losing 15lbs since December, whilst still eating the same as usual I know without a doubt antidepressants caused me to gain weight. They didn't even make me feel that much better either I'm so angry I took them. I also had the classical loss of libido which had a massive negative impact on my relationship, a bit off topic but I absolutely regret taking them to the point I deterred my partner from taking migraine meds as they had similar effects to antidepressants. Biggest mistake of my life, what bothers me the most is nobody believes they have caused me to gain weight, yet they can't explain why I would lose weight without dieting or exercising.

I know I have it easy compared to some here but going from a skinny girl taking weight gain to bulk up (which never worked), to having to try to watch what I eat on a daily basis is horrendous. Im a healthy weight, but I weigh more than when I had a newborn. Its a massive slap in the face.

• Administrator

Welcome, FP.

Did you have any withdrawal symptoms after going off Paxil? How much were you taking and for how long? Did you simply quit?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi altostrata. I started off on Prozac for just under 5 years, then Citalopram for 3 months which caused depersonalisation, so I was then put on Paroxetine for 8 months. All 20mg I quit in April 2014, cold turkey no symptoms except recurrent depression that never went away in the first place. I have always had ups and downs, they tend to circle around whether I'm having relationship issues, finding parenting particularly hard etc.

• Administrator

Thanks. Good to hear there do not seem to be any repercussions from cold turkey.

I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you've recovered from withdrawal.

We don't have any specific advice about losing drug-induced weight. Most people find it comes off after they go off.

It sounds like your weight gain might be due to many things. You might look into gut health protocols, particularly probiotics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok I will look into that and thanks for adding that symbol. I have lost just over half and am hoping the rest (or most as I gained the weight 6 years ago so don't expect to get back to the exact same weight) will soon follow.

I have what I would class as a fast digestive system too, maybe an indication that I need probiotics or something. As they are widely available and not very expensive it can't hurt to try.

Thank you again.

• Administrator

By the way, see this topic Weight gain

Hi FP,

I'm not sure if this is addressed in the weight gain thread or not, as I haven't read all the way through it....but one part that many people miss looking at is about relaxation. Stress can have a major impact on weight gain and an inability to lose it. I feel like a broken record in this regard, but calming practices that engage the parasympathetic system can be of benefit--yoga, tai chi, meditation or hypnosis. These can lower cortisol and other stress hormones.

I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 months off ad, then 18 in the next 6. I still have a ways to go...but I'm 60 years old, not 20 something. My primary focus is on regaining my health. I weigh myself, but am not obsessive about it. I refuse to measure and count calories, as I'm already restricted by diabetes and histamine. I don't want to turn the whole thing into misery. Besides, I've been on the diabetes diet long enough that I know what a serving size is, as I weighed and measured for a long time. At first, I was losing 3-4 pounds a week, without a lot of exercise..and now, I do a minimum of 6 hours a week of walking, swimming, or cycling.

I've had to restrict certain foods because of histamine and diabetes. I eat no dairy or wheat and almost no sugar. In general, my diet is lower in carbs than it used to be...but I find the need for some grains, in order to exercise more vigorously. If I cut those out, I can't maintain a reasonable level of blood sugar.

Each person has to find what works for them...not just in terms of weight loss, but what works in terms of a lifestyle. Some things I was resistant to change around food (I love tomatoes, spices, avocado and spinach, but don't love having horrible hives and upset digestion from eating them). But for me, I ultimately want to feel the best I can..and will do what it takes to have that. Not everyone has the same motivation and willingness to change.  We each have to find that sweet spot for ourselves. Ultimately, I think it comes down to really listening to oneself and one's body...hope you find what works for you.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi FP,

I copied some of your posts from the weight gain topic to the beginning of your first post here, to add a little history to this thread. That will save you having to find and re-write them. But if you want to go ahead and do what Skyler suggested, just let me know and I will delete the quotes.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

hey fatpax...

I'm a bit jealous of your paxil tolerance!   lol

March 5, 6  2015 1 10mg Paxil each day - only 2 pills total - experienced huge tingle in my head on first pill

numbness in my hands and feet, skin less sensitive over all... not ticklish anymore

**anhedonia, blank emotions

PSSD, anorgasmia

heartbeat rhythm problems

"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a psychiatrist."

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8554-akakoom-lost-in-no-mans-land/

"When you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill (the only way out is through)