Moester: More - Same - Or Less ?

Moester

Hi all. My withdrawal symptoms seem minor in comparison to what I have been reading on this fantastic forum so I feel fairly humbled.

I have been on citalopram for anxiety and depression for over 5 years. In the last 2 years I have tapered down to 10mg from 40 and 5 weeks ago ( on doctors advice) I stopped taking them. Well.... Then came the surprise; a feeling of anxiety and paranoia making me feel like I am back to square one.

So, I have read lots of articles and forums since and don't want to go back on the stuff. Some are recommending Rhodiola capsules but I don't want to become "addicted" to something else.

Has anyone had any success with these to ease you through the process??

2010 - 20mg Citalopram for Anxiety and Depression.

2011 - 30mg, then 40mg and back to 30mg.

2013 - 20mg.

2014 - Hypnotherapy (amazing) down to 10mg.

2015 - 20th May 0mg on doctors advice

Today - withdrawal symptoms for 5 weeks including anxiety doom and gloom!

2015 - 29th June - reinstate to 5mg

2015 - 26th July - 10mg citalopram.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Moester and welcome to SA.

I m glad your taper has been symptom free. However it seems you have hit a rough patch. It s unfortunate that your doctor advised you stop taking your drug at 10 mg. It is still a high dose. But we are all here because following doctors' advice put as in a very bad place.

Nobody here wants to take psychotropic medication but as you have read stopping them after years of using can cause a lot of suffering.

From our experience and available medical information only reinstatement of a small amount of drug can stop withdrawal symptoms. If any supplement could do that including rhodiola we wouldn t be here.

After 5 weeks even 1 mg could make you feel a lot better. When you stabilise you could start slowly reducing even that.

For more information read About reinstating to stop withdrwal symptoms in symptoms and self-care section. If you google surviving antidepressants and rhodiola you will find information of experiences of other members. The only supplements we recommend are omega 3 and magnesium.

I fully understand this is not what you wanted to here but 10 mg is still pretty high and I warmly recommend reinstating.

I also tried toughing it out only to find out that things got signjficantly worse rather than better.

I apologise I can't post links for you but I' m sure you'll find your way round.

Best,

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi bubble and many thanks for your reply.

I thought that might be the response but just wanted to put the question directly out there. I've discussed the situation with my doctor and she is keen for me to continue without reinstating- but of course she isn't the one paranoid with irrational thoughts!!

The ultimate question is how long can I stick it out before it either gets better or worse....

Time will tell.

Thanks again, Moe.

2013 - 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Moester,

Here are some links you may find helpful:

Study suggesting shr-5 of roots of Rhodiola rosea may be ...

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

My signature says it all. I reinstated citalopram 8 weeks ago which gradually alleviated my withdrawal symptoms. In the last week I have been struck with fatigue, dizzy spells, nausea, muscle pain which the doc States is anxiety. I can't disagree with that, I've got plenty of it in my head! Most symptoms seem to disappear by 5pm though??

I'm wondering if 10mg isn't enough and I need to carry on increasing my ssri. The doc says I can if I want but has no solid opinion either way.

Has anyone had similar issues and had any results?

Excellent site by the way.

Mo

2013 - 20mg.

Moester, welcome back.

Your introduction topic is here, and we only allow one topic per member in the intro forum. A mod will move your most recent post to there. Please bookmark it so you can put all of your posts about your journey there.

You are no doubt suffering from withdrawal syndrome from cutting your drug too rapidly (at your doctor's advice I wonder?)  Adding in more of the drug won't help much for that I am afraid. Please read the link Petu posted in your original thread. WD syndrome with its accompanying cortisol elevation causes the lifting of symptoms you describe later in the day. It will take some time for it to resolve but it will eventually if you either pound it down with more drugs or taper slowly and safely off them.

Have you been reading the other member's topics? And the many informative links we have on withdrawal syndrome?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Many thanks cymbalta,

I have been reading lots of topics but as the reintroduction seemed to sort me out I thought I was on the right track. These symptoms are far more intense and are the most extreme I have experienced.

As usual, the UK medical profession say that it's because my citalopram isn't working yet and I need to up the dose.

I will read on but there is danger you can fill your head with too much information, especially if it is theory and not fact.

Thanks for your reply.

2013 - 20mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Moester,

I merged your old topic with your new one, mainly to keep the new title because its more relevant now. Thanks for finding the original topic CW.

It can take a while for symptoms to settle down after reinstatement and as CW mentioned above, increasing the dose to try and speed up the process rarely helps and often makes things worse.

This topic may also be helpful:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I know what you mean about information overload, so do take your time reading through the links. The information we provide here is based on evidence and what has worked for thousands of people in similar circumstances, so its probably the best support and advice you will find. Of course, ultimately you have to make your own decisions about what's best for you.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes