vtkm: withdrawal hit during taper

vtkm

I'm relieved to find this site.  

Long history of SSRI's - on and off various meds over many years.

A couple of months ago I started to taper off 20mg of Paxil.  I now see I was moving too quickly but am currently taking about 1.5mg and feel awful with depression and anxiety.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like going back to 2 1/2 mg is a place to start.

I'm wide open for support and ideas.

Thank you all.

Hi vtkm-- welcome to the group,  I so sorry to hear that you're having trouble right now.  But you do have a good idea as to why it is happening.  Dropping from 20mg to 1.5mg is a couple of months is practically a CT and is going to make you hurt.  Going back up in dose will probably help.  How long is "a couple of months" 2,3,4?  It makes a difference as to how far back up you could safely go.  Here are some good threads to read;

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Also please add a signature block with all of your drug information, it will really help us see what is going on;

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature         

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Silver Star,

Thanks for your reply.

I've been tapering for 3 months starting with 5mg each week, then hanging out around 1 - 11/2 mg (it's ridiculously hard to be exact with a pill cutter) for the past few weeks.  

I thought I wrote a history/signature but apparently did so incorrectly. Please direct me.

Also, from your experience,  would you recommend I go back to a dose of 5mg rather than 2 1/2?

I am not working with a dr. on this.  My daughter believes that my reaction is a clear indication I need to be on the meds and I disagree.

(Quick history:  on and off SSRI's for 30 years including prozac, celexa, and paxil. I've never done a formal tapering process before and don't recall past issues. This I would remember.)

Thanks.

vtlm

I think that 5mg would be a good place to start, see how you react to that and adjust from there.  Reinstating can be a tricks business trying not to upset an already sensitive CNS.  This will give you some more information about it;

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Using a pill cutter is a really awkward way to make the smaller doses.  These may give you a better idea on how to do it; 

How to cut up tablets or pills

Using a digital scale to measure doses

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Now that you have information overload. Let's get you stable and more comfortable.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I started the 5 mg last night and am noticing a slight let-up through the day.  

I've also been doing a frantic search for a doctor to help me through the process and will see someone who looks promising Tuesday.

I'm hanging in there and can't thank you enough for your support.