Betsy: Hi, my introduction

Betsy

Hi:

My name is Betsy and I just joined today. :)  I don't know how to put my signature in so I will just tell you a little bit about myself. I was given a very large dose of klonopin for severe anxiety and insomnia. My pdoc tried every drug imaginable~~mainly SSRis and the older ADs, but they had a paradoxical effect on me. Hence, the benzo. I have been tapering off it for about 18 months, but the kpin taper made my insomnia horrible. I was getting maybe 3-4 hours sleep for well over a year. It nearly drove me to the edge of insanity.

Thus, about 6 months ago, my pdoc gave me a combo of meds to help me sleep. 150 mg trazodone (I tried lower doses but they did not work), 100 mg of Seroquel, and 700 mg of Gabapentin. I have been focusing on my benzo taper, but need to get off the rest of my medications.

I was on 10 mg of kpin, but the psych did a partial C/O and put me on 70 mg of Valium. I tapered 5% every 14 days, and recently began a dry, daily micro taper, which helps a lot. I have no symptoms to speak of, but the original bad insomnia which has now gone away. I am now on just .20 mg of kpin, and then I'm thinking of my Valium taper next. I want to be able to sleep through this. But I hear that APs and ADs can cause more harm than good. Especially long term. Plus I hear the taper off some of these drugs is bad. That scares me.

At first I was put on Remeron for sleep, but that failed. I just stopped taking it with no ill effects. I have a wonderful psychiatrist, and he lets me do what I feel comfortable with. I am thinking of maybe taking a break from my benzo taper, and try to taper off either the Seroquel or Trazodone next. But I have this great fear of not being able to sleep.

Please bear with me as I need to know how to do certain things, like sending a PM, or knowing when I get one. I also don't know how to navigate this to start a post in a particular section or how to answer one. I also don't know how to ticket the mods/admins, so I guess this will be a learning process for me. I joined because I have heard great things about this site, and my goal is to taper all my meds, maybe ask questions, and offer support when I can. I am used to a forum such as this, as I have about 7,500 posts on another site. I have read the rules and guidelines, and when in doubt I will read them again. Thank you.  :)

Edited by Petunia
added paragraph breaks for easier reading and member name to title

2003-Tried most ADs. Paradoxical.

March- July 40 mg Remeron. C/Ted off it.

2003-2014 3-10 mg of Kpin. Partial C/O to 70 mg Valium. Have 6.5 mg of K to taper. C/H 5% every 14 days.

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

April 2015: 150 mg Trazodone; 100 mg Seroquel;  132 mcg Levothyroxine.

2016 C/T 700 mg gabapentin.

Dec. 21, 2015: Klonopin Free.

2015 Off cigarettes.

At 13 mg of Valium from 70.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

Hi Betsy--  Welcome to the group.  I'm so glad you found us.  I'm not the benzo guru so I can't help much with that except to say we have an excellent members only benzo forum;

Members-only benzo forum

This thread is your personal journal for asking questions and keeping records.  To make an entry just click in the box at the bottom of the page "reply to this topic" and type away, then click "post" at the bottom when you're ready.

You can send and receive PMs by clicking on the little envelope at the very top right of the screen beside your name.

If you want to keep up on a specific thread click "follow this thread" and it will be listed under "content I follow" in the drop down menu when you click on your name.

Threads you have commented on will show up under "My Content" in the same drop down menu.

There are a couple of threads you may want to look at;

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

That should get you started.

Oh yes, about the signature block;

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Betsy, welcome from me too.

It looks like you are taking quite a few medications at the moment. If you list your drug and withdrawal history in you signature, it makes it easier for members to understand your context when replying to your posts.

From what I gather, you are currently taking

Klonopin .20mg

Valium 70mg

Trazodone 150mg

Seroquel 100mg

Gabapentin 700mg

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the drugs.com Drug Interactions Checker at:

Drug Interactions Checker

You may post the results here in your thread. This will also help you decide what drug to taper first as there may be major interactions between some of them.

How are you feeling at the moment, are you experiencing any symptoms?

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Betsy--  Welcome to the group.  I'm so glad you found us.  I'm not the benzo guru so I can't help much with that except to say we have an excellent members only benzo forum;

Members-only benzo forum

This thread is your personal journal for asking questions and keeping records.  To make an entry just click in the box at the bottom of the page "reply to this topic" and type away, then click "post" at the bottom when you're ready.

You can send and receive PMs by clicking on the little envelope at the very top right of the screen beside your name.

If you want to keep up on a specific thread click "follow this thread" and it will be listed under "content I follow" in the drop down menu when you click on your name.

Threads you have commented on will show up under "My Content" in the same drop down menu.

There are a couple of threads you may want to look at;

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

That should get you started.

Oh yes, about the signature block;

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Brassmonkey:

Thank you your welcome and advise. I still can't figure out how to put in my signature. I tried doing drugs.com and it didn't work. Thanks again.

Betsy

2003-2014 3-10 mg of Kpin. Partial C/O to 70 mg Valium. Have 6.5 mg of K to taper. C/H 5% every 14 days.

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

Hit the little, downward pointing arrow next to your screen name at the top of your page, then hit MY SETTINGS in the drop down box-then hit SIGNATURE on the My Settings page.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Moderator Emeritus

I tried doing drugs.com and it didn't work. Thanks again.

Here are the interactions for your list of drugs:

Interactions between your selected drugs

Moderate diazepam trazodone

Applies to: Valium (diazepam), trazodone

Using diazepam together with traZODone may increase side effectsicon1.png such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medicationsicon1.png. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam trazodone

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), trazodone

Using clonazePAM together with traZODone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctoricon1.png about all other medications you use, including vitaminsicon1.png and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate trazodone gabapentin

Applies to: trazodone, gabapentin

Using traZODone together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate diazepam quetiapine

Applies to: Valium (diazepam), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using diazepam together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam quetiapine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using clonazePAM together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate trazodone quetiapine

Applies to: trazodone, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using traZODone together with QUEtiapine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart conditionicon1.png called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breathicon1.png, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate gabapentin quetiapine

Applies to: gabapentin, Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using gabapentin together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1147-0,2228-0,703-357,1979-1274,862-441

As you can see, there are 6 interactions which may be causing dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating.  I posted the link above to the report. If you scroll down further you can see the duplication warnings. You are taking too many drugs of the same kind.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Betsy - 

I see you are still around - what have you decided to do?

Are you sleeping okay?

Let us know how you are going!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol: I made a reply to you yesterday. My sleep is fine, TG, and I have no anxiety. I am now at only .05 mg of K, so I am geting there. This last 30-day batch of cuts is 67%, which scared me. But but people who know me well and also my pdoc told me to forget that # and continue on as is, as I feel really good. I am hoping I will get the the new job I applied for. It's very difficult, being a reporter. Anyway, I threw out my calendar a long time agao, so I would not be "clock watching." I do not stick to any schedule per se, but rather how my body reacts to my cuts. Also, my dry micro taper has saved my sanity. But I am very worried about my next, valium taper, as I believe this will be much more difficult. But I am forcing myself not to future trip, and go with the flow. How are you doing, sweetie?

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for asking, Betsy:  my word of the day is stamina.  Word of the week, and maybe of the month, and the year, too.  Baby step stamina as I try to rebuild what has been robbed of me.

It sounds like you are being really careful and doing great.  

Have you considered maybe tapering the Trazodone before the Valium?  

If it were me, I'd go Trazadone / Seroquel / Valium last.  But I'm not you, am I?  Naturally, it's your choice but here is my reasoning.  Trazadone and Seroquel have lots of fingers.  Valium has basically just one finger.  If you're going to pull fingers out of your brain that have been imbedded there for years, you should maybe do the trickier ones first.  Seroquel and Valium can "soften the blows" of the trazadone taper, and Valium can "soften the blows" of the seroquel taper.  

Another option is to "rotate."  Taper a little trazadone.  Hold.  Taper a little seroquel.  Hold.  Taper a little Valium.  Hold. Rinse, and repeat.  

But all of your drugs are mostly "brakes," so I reckon you should work on the big brakes, first, which is Traz and Seroquel.  

So you are sleeping OK on your K taper?  It's soooo good to see that snail winning the race!   :D

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Betsy,

I think JC's suggestion is excellent for another reason -- you have been on valium (and benzos generally) for a much longer time than the Trazadone and the Seroquel.  I would think getting off of those first would be easier for you, plus the valium will provide a nice cushion for your other tapers.  Given that you have done well on the K taper so far, I would be optimistic about your valium taper downstream given that it has an even longer half-life than the K.  Go slow and be smart and I think you will be successful in an impressive manner!

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Andy: I am worried about my Val taper becaue I just learned that the psycholigical effects are only 4-6 hours. Much like Xanax. The pharmas trick you into think it has a very long half life, but it is only the metabolism half life. That mean it takes that long for it to get out of your system but will no longer have an effect on you after 6 hours. Had I known this from the start, I would have done a direct taper off K. I'm expecting a very difficult journey off this benzo, and expect to have to hold often and chnage my taper schedule. Of course the thought of getting off that nasty seroquel and not so bad trazodone has crossed my mind many times. I earlier on tried dropping the S by 25 mg and didn't sleep a wink for 10 days, so I caved in and reinstated. Your reasoning is sound. So is JanCarol's. A good example. I was on Ambien CR 12.5 mg for a while and for some reason, my pdoc told me to stop it C/T. He was mad at me at the momement and this is his way of getting back at me. But I had plenty of Valium and my K in my system so I didn't even feel the C/T. Now if I didn't have any of those, I would have been in for a lot of hardship. So the same makes sense for the S and T as well. But I slept for no more than 2 hours per night for over a year w/o the S and T and was really losing it. I actually just wanted to get over the pain and end it there. So my pdoc, not normally one who likes scripting meds of any sort, felt that I needed sleep in order to regain my sanity and help me heal. I droppped the Gaba on my own. He does not know this. He would have gotten really mad at me for doing so C/T. I know this makes sense that the both of you are saying, as this has been on my mind for a while now. Every day I think about it. But I am just super worried that I will return to 2 hours of sleep per night. Even worse, since I am on a low dose of K. But the other side of my brain says I have to get off them sooner or later, and later will mean no benzo in my system. I am going under the assumption that getting off Seroquel will be the worst expereince of my life. I wish I knew how to micro taper off it. I'm sure the folks on BB can tell me. Maybe when I am finished with my K, which should happen in three weeks or so, I will speak with my pdoc about getting off the S next. At least I will have 70 mg of Valium to back me up. When I ask him to help me get off a drug, he is more than happy to agree with me. He hates meds and doesn't believe there is much need for psych drugs. He strongly believes in therapy, which he does. In the end, I am just plain scared. But I want to and need to be med free and I'll just have to pick my posion first. I thank you both for your concern and helpful advice, which I agree with 110%. :)

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Moderator Emeritus

Betsy,

Very thoughtful analysis.  Glad you have been considering the different scenarios.  I think there may be a need to distinguish between "active" effects of Valium and "passive" effects of Valium.  It may well be that while Valium only works to give you psychoactive "benefits" for the 4-6 hours after taking it (the so-called "Valium high") that it serves to provide a cushioning effect for other symptoms for a much longer time.  That is my belief about how it actually functions.  I spent 2 years on benzo boards and saw plenty of people who had passive benefit from V for a lot longer than 4-6 hours.

Given your concerns, however, you may be someone who would benefit from  simultaneous tapering of the 3 meds along the lines that JC suggested. In that regard I am copying the thread of one of our moderators, Rhiannon, who was on more stuff than you and has tapered them all at the same time with (at last report) an excellent outcome.

See what you think as this might be an option for you.

Best,

Andy

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/221-☼-rhiannons-intro-by-rhi/

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Andy: Look at my above post from you to me and you'll see I talked about this. Thanks.

Betsy :)

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

Hi Andy: Thanks for the link. However, I would never consider dropping several drugs at a time. I think this is a pretty common practice, especially when it comes to benzos, ADs and APs. That is what is constantly said on my main forum site, benzobuddies.org. Thank you anyway. I will discuss this with my pdoc when I see him on Dec. 14. He is very benzo-wise and right now, my life is in his hands. I am confident he will never agree to this. I also would not be comfortable dropping three medications at the same time. Seroquel will be the toughest challenge of my life. I just wish I could go back in time and never have taken it. I will research Valium further. Maybe you are right about the Valium. Thank you for your time and trouble to help me. This is always greatly appreciated.

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand the hesitation, Betsy.  My only reason for suggesting is that it seems like you feel as if you've found a good combination that allows you sleep and productivity during the day.  You have expressed concern about the impact of cutting any of them out on sleep so the notion was to keep them all "in balance" as you VERY slowly taper them all down.

Anyway, as with all suggestions on SA it is merely that -- in my case simply "the rantings of a lunatic."

Cheers,

Andy

I understand the hesitation, Betsy.  My only reason for suggesting is that it seems like you feel as if you've found a good combination that allows you sleep and productivity during the day.  You have expressed concern about the impact of cutting any of them out on sleep so the notion was to keep them all "in balance" as you VERY slowly taper them all down.

Anyway, as with all suggestions on SA it is merely that -- in my case simply "the rantings of a lunatic."

Cheers,

Andy

Hey, ranting is my favorite passtime. :D

Best,

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Betsy!

Don't worry, be happy!   ;)

No, seriously - if you're going to taper the Seroquel and Trazadone first, your Valium taper may be over a year away.  Now is not the time to worry about it!

ALSO - after you finish your K taper, you're going to hold for at least 3 months, right?   :P

Yet another raving lunatic = Jan.

• 3 weeks later...

Dec. 21, 2015

Hi:

I'm very happy to say that today I am Klonopin Free!!! 26 month taper finished. :)

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Betsy,

Congratulations!!!  Well done.  Must be such a good feeling and a relief.  Three cheers for Betsy. :D

Don't forget JC's wisdom:  ALSO - after you finish your K taper, you're going to hold for at least 3 months, right?

You've come this far, don't mess it up by being impatient.

All the best.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Way to go Betsy.  (((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Betsy,

Congratulations!!!  Well done.  Must be such a good feeling and a relief.  Three cheers for Betsy. :D

Don't forget JC's wisdom:  ALSO - after you finish your K taper, you're going to hold for at least 3 months, right?

You've come this far, don't mess it up by being impatient.

All the best.

CC

Thank you! A 26-month journey is over! pdoc wants me to wait three weeks until Val, but I will change his mind and wait for three months. Thanks for the message.

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

Way to go Betsy.  (((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

Thank you very much. I'm so glad to be rid of that evil K.

Cheers,

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• 2 years later...

Hi

im sorry to post here as I know it’s the wrong place. I can’t find my introduction and need help with a dry micro taper off my Valium. I hope someone can advise.

betsy

Edited by ChessieCat
merged from other area of site

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Betsy: Hi, my introduction

Hi

I’m running into trouble. I believe I have tapered too fast for many months. I think it started in January. At first, on 70 mg of Valium, I was able to taper by a larger amount.

starting this year, I was cutting only .25 mg a week. I had a lot of fatigue but felt I could handle it. Sleep issues too. Then I started cutting .25 mg every 10 days. By the end of June, I went through severe withdrawal. I was so sick and my sleep turned from bad to rotten. I also had a terrible cold. I also had to fly home to take care of mom. I barely made that trip. I updosed for the first time and I’m now on 16 mg.

I am planning to do a dry micro taper. I was told by a friend to cut .002 grams. She did this to get off 2 mg of Valium after finishing her klonopin taper. It took her four months. She said she didn’t cut every day but forgot her schedule. I don’t want to experience that horror again. I think part of my problem was I was on the equivalent of 200 mg Valium for a very long time. I also don’t know how to covert grams to mgs. Any advice would be appreciated. I am still on my other medications.

Betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Administrator

Please do not change your drugs for the time being -- add your questions to your topic

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signate.  Thank you.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Questions.

how much should I cut per day and how often?

would a goal of .5 mg per month be good?

how do you convert grams to mgs.?

Note: I have been holding on my updose for 10 weeks now and feel stable.

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Betsy said:

how much should I cut per day and how often?

would a goal of .5 mg per month be good?

how do you convert grams to mgs.?

Note: I have been holding on my updose for 10 weeks now and feel stable.

Hi Betsy, 

Glad you are feeling stable on your update.

What is your current dose? Please add this to your signature. 

Once we know your current dose, we can calculate 10% (or less) which would be a good starting point. 

We have some math experts who can help with the calculations. 

More info on tapering by no more than 10%:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Hi and thanks. My signature is current. I think 10% would be too much for me, I always did 5%.

betsy

Micro taper @ .625 mg.

2015 Off cigarettes.

2019 20 mg Lipitor 

• Administrator

Betsy, please ask your questions in your Benzo forum topic:

16 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please do not change your drugs for the time being -- add your questions to your topic

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.