limerickgirl: Please help me. Zoloft withdrawal.

limerickgirl

I really need some help guys. Please help me. My dr put me on setraline for anxiety (turns out i had a seperate chronic illness ive since been diagnosed with but he wouldnt listen to me at the time but ANYWAY...) I started the setraline. I felt suicidal. Really. I was only on 25mg to start. I wanted to die. Ive never felt like that ever. I rang the gp he told me up my dose. I was vomiting daily. Dizzy. A weak neck. My legs were like led. I could barely stand. Lack of coordination.I was sweating buckets and couldnt wake up. I lost 30 pounds in under three weeks and i rang my gp who said come off straight away. Within 2 days of tapering down over only 4 days to 25 then half of 25 then off, under drs orders. i experienced muscle twitches EVERYWHERE. Lack of balance. even my tongue twitched. Flu like aches everywhere. Weakness. Restless leg. Headaches. Loss of appetite. Im off these tabs 32 days. My gp shrugged hos shoulder and said withdrawl syndrome is a myth and i need to chill. Ive lost more weight. Im in pain everywhere. I tried to dye my hair yesteday to cheer myself up and my skin on the head has gone so sensitive it burst open and bled everywhere. None of this happened me before setraline and all these symptoms are since i stopped it. PLEASE guys someone help me / give me advice. Im begging :"""( kind words please im so scared right now. My whole body is in hell. We two kids the youngest is 2 i need to get better. Im 29 years old xx thanks in advance love to all of you

hi 'limerickgirl' welcome to SA.I'm so sorry to hear of your terrible experience taking this drug.Its sounds like you had one hell of a bad reaction to zoloft.Your doctor needs to look at this site.Do you take any other medication ?

I wish you a speedy recovery

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

• Administrator

Welcome, limerickgirl.

How long were you on Zoloft?

Some people have bad reactions to antidepressants very quickly, their nervous systems just do not get along with the drugs. Even though they might take only a few pills, when they go off, they have symptoms of nervous system destabilization identical to withdrawal syndrome.

Read What is withdrawal syndrome?

Recovery takes time and patience. See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome limerickgirl. Your story sounds very similar to that of a girl I recommended this site to! I think perhaps you might be one and the same. In any case, welcome to the site. As you might have guessed, your doctor is very wrong about withdrawal syndrome being a myth. I, too was on Zoloft, until the generic became available, and then switched to Sertraline. I came off much too rapidly 14 months ago, and am still suffering. Sounds like you might have had more of a reason to come off quickly, whereas I just didn't know better!

Hopefully a mod will be along shortly to give you some insight as to where you can go from here! Best of luck in your recovery!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

... And Alto would be that mod! Apparently she was responding the same time I was!!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome limerickgirl ,  this isn't permanent and you ARE going to be okay.  That's the most important thing.

All the symptoms you're describing are consistent with withdrawal syndrome.   It might take weeks but you're going to get better. In the meantime

try to be as gentle with yourself as possible.  Try not to panic.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi everyone. I cried when i read your messages ye gave me such hope. Im in hell at the moment. I have literally been rereading your post over and over fresh i even screen shot it for my phone so i can read it at my worst times xxxxxxx i started magnesium today my left leg is numb kinda its drivin me nuts. I love all of you for taking time to reply to me x it means so much so much to me xxx ♡♡♡♡♡ xxx

I hope the magnesium works out for you 'limerickgirl' .

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

Hoping the magnesium helps, LG. That should be a good place to start. I know this is SO difficult.

I agree with Fresh. This isn't permanent, and you WILL be OK!

You weren't on long, so hopefully that will help.

We think my daughter probably has POTS (among other things) from taking a Fluoroquinolone antibiotic 5 years ago. Right now, she is wearing a heart monitor for 30 days, and we will take it from there.

So sorry you are going through this.  How long were you on the med? Whatever you do, DO NOT take another SSRI.....ever.  I was on Zoloft for 1 week with bad side effects, then in withdrawal it was seen as "anxiety" so I tried a few other ADs for 2 straight months until the dummies realized I was having an adverse reaction to them.  Hang in there.  I am at the end of month 6 off and still waiting to climb out of this.  I can't be alone and can't drive. 

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

whoops, just saw you were on for two and a half weeks.  Things will get better.  Do you have a good support person to help you at home?

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Hi Limerickgirl, 

so sorry to hear what you're going through. 

I had a really bad reaction as well. Just letting you know you're not alone. 

There's also a number of other people in Ireland affected: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9490-ireland-members-check-in-here/

I hope you'll get a bit of relief! 

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• 11 months later...

How are you doing?

• ChessieCat changed the title to limerickgirl: Please help me. Zoloft withdrawal.