PsyGuy: SSRI withdrawal

PsyGuy

Hi Chessie,

I will add my new med descriptions.

Thanks KT, I won't take the 5htp while still on paxil.

2004-2014: Paxil & Paxil CR 25-50mg

3 Months in 2014: Zoloft 50-100mg

3 Months in 2015: Celexa 20mg

4 Months in 2015: Lexapro 20mg

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsyGuy

• KT38

• KarenB

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

If it was me I wouldn't take the 5-htp.

And please do update your sig, as CC suggested, so we can be more accurate.  How long have you been on these new meds?  That's a lot of Paxil.

Zyprexa can have negative interactions with other drugs:  Read http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/

It would be a good idea to put all three new meds in the drug interraction checker and post the results here.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

From previous page:

"Thanks for the responses and advice. Can I take the 5-htp while I'm still on meds? Is it advisable to take it along with medication? After I was hospitalized I am now on a different medication schedule and I have a follow up with a new dr. In a few weeks. I'm now on
40mg paxil 
15mg zyprexa 
900mg gabapentin 

I desperately want off these meds and will talk to my new dr and see what they say."

Psyguy , this is not a good situation at all.    All 3 medications you are now taking interact with each other to produce

a range of adverse symptoms.

From www.drugs.com:

Moderate

paroxetine  gabapentin enacarbil

Applies to: Paxil (paroxetine), gabapentin enacarbil

Using PARoxetine together with gabapentin may increase side effectsicon1.png such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

Moderate paroxetine  olanzapine

Applies to: Paxil (paroxetine), Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Using PARoxetine together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

Moderate gabapentin enacarbil  olanzapine

Applies to: gabapentin enacarbil, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Using gabapentin together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment.

Do you really want to continue on them all until your doctors appointment?    

Hopefully Altostrata will be able to offer advice.  

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

It sounds like your nervous system was sensitized by going off Paxil. It's been so long, reinstatement is a long shot. If you decide to try it, you might want to try 1mg Paxil to start.

For taking very small doses, see Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

I do have another question for everyone out there though. I'm currently on 60mg Buspar and when I went to the pharmacy to get my prescription of paxil filled I asked the pharmacist if I should continue to take the Buspar while going back on the paxil (as I and my psychiatrist completely forgot I was taking the buspar.) he said he didn't know, typically he said I would stop taking the buspar and go into the Paxil.

So I called my psychiatrist and asked her about the dosages and she said to take them together 60mg buspar and 40mg Paxil.

Has anyone taken those two medications together before and what were your experiences?

Hi guys,

Yes I'm on 40mg that's why my dr told me to reinstate with. Should I be cutting them in half and titrate up? Is it too much of a dose too soon? I'm at work right now and I'm freaking out from panic. I don't know what to do.

I dammed it I go off them and I'm damned if I go back on them. Talk about a double edged sword. This is like a living hell.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses and advice. Can I take the 5-htp while I'm still on meds? Is it advisable to take it along with medication? After I was hospitalized I am now on a different medication schedule and I have a follow up with a new dr. In a few weeks. I'm now on

40mg paxil

15mg zyprexa

900mg gabapentin

I desperately want off these meds and will talk to my new dr and see what they say.

Psyguy, we recommend reinstating at a very low dose for very specific reasons: Your nervous system may be sensitized by withdrawal and higher dosages might cause adverse or paradoxical reactions.

When a person is in this sensitized state, an adverse or paradoxical reaction may feel like being overstimulated, anxious, and sleepless.

Very few doctors understand this or any aspect of tapering and withdrawal syndrome.

How long have you been taking Zyprexa and gabapentin? Did they help? Now that you're on a fairly substantial drug cocktail, how do you feel?

What happened to the Buspar?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto,

The hospital said they wanted me to stop the Buspar and switch to Zyprexa from Abilify. I've been taking the Zyprexa and Gabapentin since the day after Thanksgiving. I've taken Gabapentin in the past and it had absolutely zero effect on me, Zyprexa on the other hand makes me very tired and hungry. I can see how the antipsychotics can lead to massive weight gain which I certainly do not want to have.

Has anyone or anyone they know here been exposed to any antipsychotics? If so, do they manifest withdrawal symptoms like the SSRIs do?

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Lots of people on this site have been put on antipsychotics.  If you take them more than 4-5 days , you need to taper

them just like ssri's.

See Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Holidays everyone,

Has anyone on Zyprexa or any antipsychotics experienced massive memory loss? I've been on Zyprexa for a month now and I am forgetting everything. I'm talking forgetting massive chunks of my days and weeks. I went to go see the new Star Wars movie on Monday with friends and I only remember pieces of the movie and the dinner we had before the movie? It's like a dream I'm living in just existing and struggling to remember who I and and what I'm doing.

October 2015 - Present:

40mg Paxil

15mg Zyprexa

900mg Gabapentin

1mg Cogentin

1mg Ativan as needed

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi PG,

Just checked out your drug interactions and found that Atvian has a major interaction (this wasn't one that Fresh checked - all 3 of those included difficulty concentrating & impairment in thinking and judgment) so if you have been taking Atvian as well it could be what is causing the current issue:

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major     Ativan (lorazepam), Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Ask your doctor before using LORazepam together with OLANZapine. This can cause low blood pressure, shallow breathing, weak pulse, muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness and slurred speech. This may be more likely to occur in older adults or those with a debilitating condition. You should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until you know how these medications will affect you. If your doctor prescribes these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use these medications together.

Moderate     Ativan (lorazepam), Cogentin (benztropine)

Using LORazepam together with benztropine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications.

Moderate     Ativan (lorazepam), Paxil (paroxetine)

Using LORazepam together with PARoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Mentor

Happy Holidays everyone,

Has anyone on Zyprexa or any antipsychotics experienced massive memory loss? I've been on Zyprexa for a month now and I am forgetting everything. I'm talking forgetting massive chunks of my days and weeks. I went to go see the new Star Wars movie on Monday with friends and I only remember pieces of the movie and the dinner we had before the movie? It's like a dream I'm living in just existing and struggling to remember who I and and what I'm doing.

Hi

I've taken zyprexa and massive memory loss like you describe was not an issue for me- but that does not mean it can't be or won't be for you.

I am having that kind of memory loss NOW from stopping and restarting and then tapering too fast, off of lexapro

If I am reading your signature correctly, it seems you were rapidly switched from one med to another to another, yikes. (that was done to me in the past as well, not fun)

I would *think* that may have more to do with your memory loss than the zyprexa, I don't know

oh wait, I see you are on ativan too, er, I have to look this up, but on some of those drugs there is something that happens that causes amnesia, I know I had it from ambien, it made it so that I could not recall ANYTHING that happened just before and just after taking the stuff. I was horrible.

ambien is a hypnotic med though, not sure about ativan, it's a benzo but,,,,,,,,,

well I don't see where I"m helping you much but I would say that there's a chance that one or more of your meds is causing this memory problem,

and it would be hard to say which one.

I can totally relate to the feeling of trying to hold on to who you are and what you are doing, I am going thru that now too.

I *wish* I knew what to say to help you!!

I have found writing things done helps a little bit but when I"m most confused I'm less likely to write things down

I have ppl telling me I did such and such and said this or that and I have NO memory of it at all.

I think the best we can do is to stay around people we feel safe with. I don't feel able to protect myself in this state, I feel like I almost don't exist and ppl could do whatever they wanted and I would not react

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • PRESENT DAYS:  Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • 3 months later...

How are you doing PsyGuy?

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

• 1 year later...

I’d really Like to know what happened to psyguy, our situations are exactly the same. Anyone know?

paxil CR 12.5mg - December 28 - January 15

paxil 10mg - January 16 20mg - Jan 18

zolpidem 10mg as needed (daily since dec 23)

trazodone 50-150mg January 8-present 

currently taking 150ng daily. Went up from 50mg

gabapentin 300mgx3  January 8- January 18

valium as needed (5mg x 3 last 8 days)