KiddSquidd: Risperidone Withdrawal

KiddSquidd

I am 20 years old, 140 pounds, 6'0", Male

For reasons beyond what I'd like to divulge, i was sent for 7 days of asylum. While being held against my will, i was forced to take Risperidone 2mg nightly. After leaving I immediately discontinued use, as I already knew what it was, and was suffering from risperidone induced retrograde ejaculation (don't ask)

My release date was 1 October 2015; it has therefore been over 100 hours after my discontinuation of risperidone administration.

I have experienced:

Elevated anxiety, intense nightmares nightly.

Mild to severe hallucinations, full-on panic attacks. Mild shaking, moderate restless leg syndrome.

Dizziness, rapidly shifting temperature.

Light nausea, appetite has been a rollercoaster.

As i am writing this I am still experiencing mild hallucinations. I am optimistic that my recovery will be swift and would like to document it.

My dose was for a short period, but the effects still echo within my mind.

Risperidone - 2mg - Nightly

Seroquel - ? - 3/7 Nights

Adarax - 50mg - Every six hours

Over 120 hours since discontinuation Ris.

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

P.S. for anyone with a similar set of circumstances, the retrograde ejaculation went away within 2 days of discontinuing risperidone

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello KiddSquidd and welcome to SA.

I'm sorry that you have found yourself in such a situation.

It seems, like you say, that you were taking the drug for a very short period of time (7 days?)

Do you have any previous history of taking psychiatric drugs? Can you add this information and your latest experience in your signature as explained here:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature     

If you don't mind, what symptoms caused you to be hospitalised against your will? Do you have any plans on how to deal with them with non-drug techniques?

I also believe that you shoudl recover from this exposure quickly and you are free to use this thread to document your progress.

You will find lots of friendly support here.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Welcome 'kiddsquidd' .

Sertraline 100mg amytrip 60mg diazepam 4mg (and when needed) since late 90's.Reduced all meds over 6 wks (too short) last doses 13 wks ago.Still having withdrawals.I would have done it differently

5th august 2015 reinstated 5mg amytripiline.increased to 10mg amtrip 9th sept 2015.

The severe depression has been rearing his ugly head for days and today is no exception. Its easierto hate myself than to suffer risperidone. Soon ill be able to see my doctor again (10 Oct) at which time ill get something less... toxic, to help.

Fell asleep and awoke 4 times already, working oneating atm.

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

I am happy to report that today upon waking up i felt almost normal. No head clamp, no clouded eyes, and only mild fatigue. The dizziness hasn't shown itself yet, either.

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

Hi KiddSquidd, you have been very lucky with risperdal (also because you take it for a short time). It is really a poison from hell, probably the worst antipsychotic in the world.

My life is miserable thanks to it.

I hope you will make a full recovery, but from last post I guess you nearly won the game.

March 2010/ October 2010:

Sereupin 30mg a day, EN 15 drops a day

October 2010/ 1st November 2014:

Cipralex 50mg a day (tapered to 40mg a day in August 2013), EN 15 drops a day (switched to Lexotan 15 drops a day in September 2014)

Started Risperdal 1mg a day on the 1st November 2014.

Stopped Risperdal on the 23 November 2014 because that day, after a short mental crysis, I suddenly lost all my emotions,desires,motivation and they not come back yet.

Stopped Cipralex C/T in December 2014.

Added, tapered and stopped other drugs during the following months (also a voluntary hospitalization in January 2015 for a suicide attempt)...no changes yet.

I'm med free from 3rd December 2015

• Administrator

Welcome, KS.

Are you still taking Atarax?

Sorry to hear you had withdrawal symptoms after such a short time.

When you are talking to doctors, you will want to stay calm and not get emotional. This confuses them and they may well think you need more drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have stopped all drugs completely, the Atarax intensified the (withdrawal?) Risperidone induced hallucinations to an uncomfortable, blinding point. My vision would stretch vertically and horizontally, growing and disorienting my perception of depth as well.

Whenever i closed my eyes, the visuals wouldn't let me rest. The first time i closed my eyes and was greeted by darkness, i felt blessed.

I am researching whether or not Risperidone reactivates trips from the following:

Bk-2C-B

25i-NBOMe

LSD

Mushrooms

As the visuals experienced were extremely similar to those ive experienced on these ethenogens. HOWEVER; those experienced over the last week while staying drug free were terrifying and horrible and honestly i would prefer death to uninvited trips.

My eyes were also fully dilated. Risperidone is suspected to act upon the 5-HT2 serotonin receptors, and i know my ethenogens act upon the 5-HT2A.

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

• Administrator

Listen, you absolutely must stay away from "ethenogens" for a good long while, many months. Your nervous system has had a major upset from the psychiatric drugs. It's fragile now. Don't take any chances with it -- you'll get odd results from your drug experiments, and they may not be something you'll recover from quickly.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I have stopped all drugs completely (bar nicotine/caffeine)

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

• Administrator

Good to hear. Treat your nervous system very gently. Don't go overboard on anything.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Paranoia that ive never had is starting to pop up. Anxiety levels have gone down, with the exception of the paranoia episodes...

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

• Administrator

Please look at it as your nervous system settling down after upheaval. Symptom patterns will keep on changing.

Read The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I can relate. Mild hallucinations returning 200+ hours drug free. New phenomenon, didn't exist pre-risperidone. This obviously led to some extreme distress, but writing now among other methods of coping keep me from spiraling down and letting it consume me.

COLD TURKEY METHOD.

• Administrator

Good for you, learning new ways to cope.

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to manage symptoms, including psychological symptoms.