Katy off escilatopram, with PGAD

Katy

Hi everyone,

I am new here. I have recently experience symptoms of PGAD. It's been 5 days now. At first I was so terrified that I couldn't sleep, eat or function at all. Now I am on Clorazepate and it helps me calm down a little bit. Approximately six months ago I stopped taking Escitalopram, which I have been on for 1,5-2years (I don't recall exactly) due to my anxiety disorder and less bothering, but also present depression states. After that, I was ok. The spring and summer was a good and happy time. September was very stressful due to many bigger and smaller events and my anxiety and depression has grown. In september, I also withdrawed birth control (nuvaring) due to economical reasons. Now starts my second menstrual cycle without birth control and I experience PGAD.... I am terrified. A have already been to sexuologist, who prescribed me hormone tests, encouraged me to take Clorazepate for now as it helps me calm down and gave me another SSRI - Sertraline... Also the gynecologist saw me, and made me really uncomfortable. He said that because of years of taking birth control (I'm 26 now and have been taking them since I was 20 in order to cure my ovaries condition) my ovaries are now working naturally and I feel that way because "I'm now like a dog that has been released from the leash" - can you imagine a doctor saying that???!!! He also said that he haven't seen increased blood flow in the ultrasound, which is common in women who reported symptomps of PGAD to him. I feel like he didn't understand me... he told me to go home and enjoy it, have sex with my partner...but that's not what I want! I want this feeling to go... He presribed me another birth control pill and told me to not stop taking it on my own unless I want to get pregnant. So I have a lot of blood test to do and two new medications... I don't know why, but I am sceptical...

drug history:

april 2013 - april/may2015 - Escitalopram (no bad reactions)

03.10.2015 - first experienced PGAD, after six months without Escitalopram and after a month without birth control

07.10.2015  - started taking Sertraline

• Administrator

Welcome, Katy.

I moved your post here so it wouldn't get lost, and to start your Introductions topic.

Yes, as you know, you could have PGAD from going off escilatopram. Very few doctors know this.

Are you taking sertraline now? Do you take Clorazepate, a benzodiazepine, often? At what dosages and times?

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Katy,

Your gynecologist is a pig!

I would advise you against another SSRI, especially Zoloft.

It could make your PGAD symptoms worse.

I have experienced PGAD from bad reaction to Zoloft.

Recently experienced mild form, calmed down.

Doctors don't understand that the feeling that you get is not a normal "arousal " feeling, it is just horrible.

It is like your brain is sending false signals.

I hope that PGAD symptoms resolve for you.

I know how horrendous this is.

You will heal, don't add any more drugs to the mix.

You need to heal.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

I only took Clorazepate (the drug called Tranxene) 4 times since last Saturday (I was so panicked because of PGAD I couldn't function) in 5mg dosage. Now I'm calmer, I have calmed my thoughts, and I feel more positive for how the things will resolve in the end. It is for sure of great thanks to my family, my boyfriend and my therapist, who are the best support for me. I didn't take Clorazepate yesterday and I slept well. Although the PGAD is still there, but somehow different. I woke up once last night and felt like it's almost gone, but then in the morning it came back. Now it's still with me, a little worse than yesterday, but I don't panic anymore. I am taking Sertraline (drug called Sertagen) since two days - the sexuologist, who is also psychiatrist, said I need this due to my anxiety and depression and it may also help PGAD (but he didn't promise that). As to anxiety, I agree with him. I had very bad anxiety attacks, eg. when someone from my family didn't pick up the phone, when I thought my boyfriend should have come home by now and he didn't call, I imagined the worst case scenarios and worried myself to panic attacks. So I guess I need the meds to calm me down. As to PGAD... we will see. Thank you guys for replying.

drug history:

03.10.2015 - first experienced PGAD, after six months without Escitalopram and after a month without birth control

Hi Katy,

Is Sertagen a generic brand for Zoloft?

Zoloft is a Setraline antidepressant.

I hope it works for you.

We are all different.

I got PGAD symptoms from Setraline, (Zoloft ) .

Just be careful. If your PGAD gets worse from Zoloft, than you know what is causing it.

SSRI'S do cause PGAD, for some people it is from starting the drug or from discontinuing the drug .

All of the AD'S are just a band aid for panic attacks and anxiety.

Working with your therapist is the way to go for a long term recovery.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Zoloft and Sertagen are basically the same drug as they're both Sertraline. I've noticed that my PGAD is the worst in the morning and it is almost unnoticeable in the evening and at night. I will monitor it, and once my blood tests are done I'll let you know. I have to consider all sources, both AD's withdrawal and hormones. 

Thank you Hopefull for being so kind and caring :)

are you completely PGAD free right now?

drug history:

You are welcome.

I hope it works out for you.

Keep an eye on your symptoms and see how you go.

Right now I am not experiencing PGAD symptoms.

I did about 2-3 weeks ago, mild PGAD.

It has settled down now.

I made a cut from 5 mg of Mitrazapine to 4mg, some of my old symptoms returned, had to go back to 5 mg.

I am stabilizing.

That is why I am advising you to be careful.

I never knew obout PGAD, until I got it from Zoloft.

You are young, you have your whole life ahead of you.

Don't mess with your health with too many medications.

You don't know what the consequences are long term.

I am not saying this to alarm you, I am only speaking from my own experience.

Best wishes, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

• Administrator

Welcome, Katy.

This is a site for going off psychiatric drugs. Sounds like you intend to stay on your drug combination.

How may we help you?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I was searching for online support on suffering from PGAD... Yes I intend to stay on Sertraline for a while now, to stabilize my mood as I felt a lot better for those two years when I've taken Escitalopram. My symptomps of PGAD are now slowly diminishing only after a week, maybe after all my gynecologist WAS right...?

If you feel this topic is not matching the content of this site, then feel free to delete it, I won't be offended.

Katy

drug history:

• Administrator

Switching you to sertraline may have been a lucky guess. Look around the site, you'll see many people for whom such a treatment did not work, or made PGAD worse.

Very, very few doctors know anything about withdrawal syndrome, PGAD, or the adverse effects of these drugs.

If Setraline is helping you than you have been lucky.

When you do decide to come off Setraline,

Tapper off slowly.

Some people have reported PGAD symptoms from coming off SSRI's, that is why you need to be cautious.

Take care, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY: