rik1 What should I do for depression?

rik1

Hi
In the last 5 years I started to get depressed, it keeps getting worst. Also I have social anxiety my whole life, but not severe.
During this time I tried several supplements, nothing worked. Here is the list of things I tried.
- 5htp.
- Sam-e (it may have helped a bit, but terrible side effects on digestive system, so I had to stop).
- St. john's wort.
- b-complex.
- chamomile extract.
- saffron.
- l-tyrosine.
- vitamin d.
- epa/dha ( ~%85 epa).
- Magnesium ( citrate , malate ).
- Turmeric.
- l-methylfolate.
I did not use these at once, but a combination of 3-4 of them at a time over the last 5 years. No results. Some of them I still use. Some I only gave a try for 30 days then stopped.

Currently I take the following supplements for depression:
- l-tyrosine 500mg/day
- Turmeric 500mg/day
- l-methylfolate 1.5mg/day
But I plan stop taking the first two. And increase l-methylfolate to a much higher dose. Maybe 8mg/day.

Also I take these, but not for depression:
- Multivitamin, once a day
- Magnesium + calcium + zinc (250mg,250mg,5mg) once a day.
- epa/dha (590mg/130mg)/day.
- Borage oil  1000mg/day.
- Flax seeds oil 650mg/day.
- Chamomile extract (300mg*3)/day.

I have several questions
 1- what other supplements should i  try for depression/social anxiety? Specially for depression.
 2- Is it a good idea to increase l-methylfolate(metafolin) to 8mg/day?
 3- Am I taking too much supplements that will harm me on the long run? (I'm not on any medication)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Rik1,

I'll move this to the intro section so you can introduce yourself and get some answers there.  Nice to have you here :).

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi rik1

Welcome to SA.  It's lovely to see a member who has not got caught on the merry-go-round of antidepressant medication.  It's also great they you are trying different things to try and help yourself.

I don't have any suggestions regarding supplements, but wanted to let you know about CBT or Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.  Last year I did an online workshop which I found very helpful.  It is a government-funded NSW, Australia, course run through a university here, so unfortunately it wouldn't be available to you.  However I did find a Self Help CBT course online at getselfhelp.co.uk that is very similar and may help you to learn strategies for coping.  SelfHelpCourse

There are many members here who would probably love to turn back the clock and not have been put on ADs.  I hope you are able to stay drug-free.

All the best.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi rik1 welcome.

i like cc's suggestion of cbt.

Have you tried toastmasters that could be useful also.

This is a site for helping people withdrawal off of psych drugs.

I assume you have never taken any drugs (legal or illegal)  and lucky you.

Those are interesting questions. Could the supplements shop person have some good answers for them. 

I'm not into labels but i am sorry you have been struggling with psychological distress for some time now.

For a virgin brain i think psychological approaches to distress are very helpful are you able to find someone to talk things over with who can provide unconditional positive regard and perhaps challenge beliefs/worldviews. That could be useful imo.

Setting goals and having something to look forward to , exercise, diet, good sleep, persue interests or hobbies, do some study, spend time in nature, spend time with friends, Volunteer in a small way in something. These are all things that i think may be helpful in supplementing the supplements.   

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

At a quick glance (I am not a naturopath, just someone who has researched herbs and supplements for personal use) it looks like you've got some good things going on - you've discontinued some useless and unhelpful supplements, and stayed on some good ones.

Not knowing your symptoms, or history, a few things stand out.  FIRST - IT IS BEST TO GET BLOODWORK DONE to ensure you get your personal nutrition right.  Go to a natural doctor, osteopath, naturopath, or other health practitioner who will look at your mineral profile, b-vitamins, and other inflammatory measures and risk factors. Keep a copy of your results, and learn them.  Get them done at least annually to see what is changing and track your symptoms against them.  Going to the health food store is fine - but bloodwork gives you guidance instead of guesswork.

Fish oil is good.  You cannot feel it working, but it will smooth out your mood.  Omega-3 fish oil will give you ideas about how much to take.

Magnesium should not be taken with calcium.  They cancel each other out.  Magnesium should not be in oxide form, and even with your extensive supplement experience, I'd lay bets that your little combination is magnesium oxide.  Magnesium

Zinc is an amazing, underestimated supplement.  Again, you should determine your dose according to bloodwork.  The reason zinc is so effective is it counterbalances copper, which is associated with emotionally erratic states.   It is better to buy zinc picolinate, as that is the form which is absorbed best in bloodstream according to clinical trials.  Again, it should not be in a combination supplement - you can take it with magnesium or calcium, but it's better to buy it independently, so you can determine your dose seperately from mag and cal.

(just a note:  cannabis binds to copper - if you are attracted to cannabis, it may mean that you are somehow trying to control your copper.  Using zinc to do this instead may easily decrease your desire for cannabis.  In other notes:  cannabis, unless medically prescribed, can cause problems in mood, especially in young folks aged 16-25.  I would say this is not a great age for alcohol, either, except that's when people generally enjoy drinking the most.   :blink:

Boron is a cofactor for all of these minerals, consider a small amount each day to aid in the use of them in your bones, cardio system, and brain.

They l-tyrosine helps some, but not others.  N-Acetyl-Cysteine seems to be a good precursor that is less dangerous than 5HtP or tryptophan.  Some folks swear by l-Glutathione, which I also take, but cannot "feel."  Other aminos I could take or leave.  There's a whole stack of them to try - but it's better to do it with guidance - some are not to be taken with others (avoid supplements that combine them in a scattershot approach), some are better in morning, some in evening, some with food, some away from food.  A professional would need to guide you through the aminos.  

But the turmeric is an awesome all round supplement for inflammation, digestion, health and well being.  Make sure it's got bioperine (black pepper extract) to enhance its bioavailability.

B vitamins.  Your methylfolate is a very high dose.  I would not increase it, and would be inclined to decrease it until you get bloodwork done indicating that it is needed.  It is a "fashionable" supplement, but not the be-all and end all of supplements, and has its risks in the long term:  see:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1328-deplin-the-l-methylfolate-swindle/

B3 (niacin)is often used as a mood stabilizer, while B6 (or P5P) can be helpful for low energy depression.  B12 is often depleted in our western diet, and is essential for conversion of energy - if you are vegan or vegetarian, you need this supplement.  

Check your multivitamin - it is likely to have small amounts of all kinds of stuff bundled together in an unhelpful fashion. It may even contain folic acid, which should not be taken with methylfolate.  Also, if it contains iron, is should not be taken with calcium.  Multis are a cheap way to "make sure" you get all the things you need, but not really good for micronutrient healing.

If I were to add anything to your regime, it would be - bloodwork.  A vitamin D level test.  A 10 minute daily walk in the sun.  Then, depending on your levels, a vitamin D supplement, with Vitamin K as a cofactor.

If I knew your age, there might be other things to consider.

Get thee to a practitioner, get your bloodwork done, then choose individual supplements carefully. :)

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!