Elske: Tapering clonazepam

Elske

Hello, i'm taking two drugs: 7,( mg mirtazipine (antideprissiva) and clonazepam. Miy doctor advized to start tapering clonazepam but the problem is that she hasn't info about tapering. I was on 1 mg clonazepam: first she advised me to take one day 0,5 mg and the orther day 1 mg, that was difficult for me. finally I decided to take 0,7(0 mg. Now I'm on 0,625 mg and I have mild withdrawal symptoms: sleeping is a problem and restless legs. also arousal during the day. I hope to find some tips how to continue tapering clonazepam safely. 4 years ago, I tried to tapering but what I dit was like cold turkey without knowing it, that was dangerous and a real nightmare. I live in the Netherlands, I read already a lot of tapering benzodiazipines but almost people have withdrawal symptoms. I read now that the withdrawal symptoms of antidepressiva are even the same : thus very difficult.I use a pilltotool to cut my pills of 0,5 mg in 4 of 0,125 mg but I guess now that even tapering with 0,125 is too much fot my body. I took clonazepam for my sleeping problem but when I experienced the withdrawal symptoms it was like a kind of psychotic event and it was very scary.

I hope i don't make too much errors in english.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Elske,

I'm glad you've found your way here for some good information and support.  You are right that your doctor didn't know about tapering.  Alternating doses day by day is very destabilising - no wonder you had trouble with it.  Good decision to even it out at 0.7mg.  How long ago did you drop to 0.625mg? 

It's very helpful if you fill out a signature, so we can see all the dates and details of your tapering.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose each 4-6 weeks.  Some people need to go slower.  Because you are already feeling unsettled, it would be good to hold at that dose for at least a month.  Then when your central nervous system is steady again, you can work out a gentle tapering plan.

You might also find it useful to read this thread about choosing which drug to taper first.

It can be scary, but you will be able to get through this - you are not alone here :).  Going slow and steady is the key.  Have a read through those links and then come back to this thread to ask more questions.  This will be your journal for your tapering and healing progress. 

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.