Wrenster: Struggling and feeling like giving up

wrenster

• Moderator Emeritus

Wrenster, you are actually doing a great job of working through this and changing how you manage things.  This is a foundation that will strengthen every time you have a chance to practice new ways of being strong.  I love it on here when we hear about people finding their strength :)

You may like to write down how it's feeling and what you are doing, to encourage yourself on other occasions. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wrenster

• nz11

• SquirrellyGirl

• brassmonkey

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi karen. Oh i wish i felt that today. Nothing seems to work. Wake up everyday with feeling sick and in terror. Thoughts racing. Really getting me down. So exhausted with it. Feel so alone in the world nothing i do is helping today. Its extreme anxiety. I m scared to talk about it to my partner as he says its been 6 months of hell since i stopped sertraline. I really thought i d be further on by now. I m tiredx out.

Been on many different psych medications since the age of 17 and i m now 36. I have stopped citalopram and sertraline at the age of 19 and 24 but relapsed/wd effects so restarted sertraline at 24 for past 11 years at 75mg. Then 50mg. Tapered off sertraline over a 3 month period and stopped it completely since august 15. Experienced dizziness,vertigo and fatigue. Currently severe anxiety at times and low mood, extreme emotions, frequent tearfulness, anger and irritability. Reinstated sertraline 5mg on 19 dec.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I guess we all have that in common - the thinking that we'd be further along by now.  It's pretty much situation normal.  You will get better days again.  Horrid while you're in it though.  

Can you find one small pleasant thing today?  A soft blanket, a pretty flower, a moment of calm breathing?

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

http://www.drmartinseif.com/resources/paradoxical-attitude.htmli came across this website last night. Really helped with the anxiety.

Been on many different psych medications since the age of 17 and i m now 36. I have stopped citalopram and sertraline at the age of 19 and 24 but relapsed/wd effects so restarted sertraline at 24 for past 11 years at 75mg. Then 50mg. Tapered off sertraline over a 3 month period and stopped it completely since august 15. Experienced dizziness,vertigo and fatigue. Currently severe anxiety at times and low mood, extreme emotions, frequent tearfulness, anger and irritability. Reinstated sertraline 5mg on 19 dec.

Hi Wrenster!

Just want to stop by. I am on sertraline as well. I am so sorry you dont feel so well. It's a tremendously hard job to taper and get along with everyday life. You will feel better soon, when the body is more used to the 5 mg. I think your surgery will go just fine. I know a lot of people that have done this surgery and it went very well and smooth.

Your link about anxiety helped me today too, especially the thing about doing the opposite what the anxiety tells you. Thankyou. Hugs!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Hi amy. I m glad the link helped you. I found the stuff it said about not trying to fix it or fight it just letting it be and carrying on.regardless. not giving energy to it. Thanks for your reassuring words regarding the surgery. Good to hear. My brain automatically tells me to fix unpleasant feelings and feel anxious about having the anxiety. The antidepressant did all the coping and suppression of unpleasant feelings for most of my life. So having to learn how to cope with life now. I m not sure when i ll get off the 5mg though. I think a lot of this anxiety will go after this surgery. I hope!!!

• 1 month later...

Wrenster how are you doing?

Hows the recover from surgery going?

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Wrenster, 

I totally get where you are coming from, as you don't have the luxury of not working to get through withdrawal.  I totally appreciate nz11's efforts to support you with getitng off the meds, but at the same time it may just not be the right time for you to do so, with an unsupportive boyfriend and having to remain functional.

Just a question:  when you got tearful at work and got stressed out, what was going through your mind?  I know that it is terribly difficult because when you are in withdrawal, the mind takes on a life of its own and often refuses to be thwarted from its neuro-emotions.  But anyone can develop awareness, and you have to at least try.

What I mean by this is that it is the thoughts that create suffering.  Try to think of it like you've got this WD entity in your head that has hijacked you, taken the controls, but you can observe it and tell it "I see what you are trying to do, but I don't buy it!"

It was that entity that caused you to get tearful and need to leave work. 

My WD entity hijacked my brain this morning and caused some tearfulness, but then I just let the feelings roll by and I have moved on, now.  It is a skill that requires some development.  I have found the teachings of Eckhart Tolle paramount in that.  Eckhart calls that "entity" the "thought form."  

Here's one to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze0-vGa-MQ8

As much as you can tackle this concept, the better, because even if you reinstate the full amount of drug, it might not work or it might take time to stabilize.  Either way, you have to deal with this new internal landscape and find ways to comfort yourself and not let it get the better of you.  Developing presence is probably the best way to do this!  Do know that this internal state is NOT for forever, absolutely not!  You are healing but ealing simply takes time.

Even if you reinstate fully, you now have the power to take it as slow and long as is needed to taper off this drug; you are not relegated to a lifetime of taking it.

It may just be that given your situation, you will need to do a micro-micro-taper, where so little is taken away each month that your system just doesn't notice.  Take away the pressure of any kind of deadline.

I hope this helped!  I'm glad you've settled a bit at home.

SG

This is something I am trying to get my head around - the new "inner landscape" of my mind.

It's my mind that's triggering the pain body.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi. I had by surgery 4 weeks ago. It was bunion and second toe. Unfortunately i had severe pain for two weeks post op and had to take morphine for nearly 3 wks. Mentally i did n notice issues until i came off the morphine. Had a week of low mood/anxiety and agitation. I m now continuing to have issues similar like before surgery with withdrawal. I cant walk or drive so obviously thats difficult. In a few weeks i ll start to walk. Its been a tough time but i think i m managing renarkably well. I just let myself cry when i need to and see friends regularly. Its good to be away from work thanks for asking nz xx

Sounds like apart from a bit of pain which might be expected everything was successful.

Im sure you will be running marathons again in no time.

Thanks for taking the time to update.

Go well.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 3 months later...

Wrenster how are you going we havent heard from you for a while.

Is your foot much better now.

Recovering paxil addict