Tempeststorm Riding The Waves

Tempeststorm

Hi, I am encouraged to find this site! I was so sure I was completely alone in my recovery and that my symptoms were 'just me'. You will see my story in a nutshell in my signature. I am still struggling - there was no possibility of reinstating the drug for me to complete a slower taper. I just hope like all of you do that there will be hope of a full recovery from the damage that I know my AD has done to me. I now suffer from crippling anxiety - this was never an issue for me before and along with my physical symptoms, is truly devastating. I look forward to sharing tips and stories of recovery with you all.

Forced off Prozac 20mg immediately by my Anaphylaxis Consultant (no taper) after 23 years following anaphylaxis to an antibiotic in 2012 and having continued eosinophilia with unknown cause. Struggling ever since.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Tempeststorm,

You sure have been suffering for a long time now, but you are definitely not alone!  There will be a lot of support for you here. 

Is there any pattern to your symptoms?  Apart from anxiety, what are you experiencing?

You may like to read The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilisation Symptoms may come and go for years, but should gradually be improving.  You'll probably find many threads in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum that can help you.  Do you take any supplements?  Many people find magnesium and fish-oil helpful during recovery. 

Have you noticed anything that makes your symptoms worse?  Caffeine, alcohol, too much physical activity? 

And some links about neuro-plasticity, which will hopefully be encouraging for you: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/192-self-directed-neuroplasticity/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2761-neuroplasticity-and-limbic-retraining/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mea-NdKBpUQ

I know some people on ad's react badly to antibiotics, but I'd be interested in why your doc took you off the ad so rapidly when it was the antibiotic causing the problem. 

It's good to have you here.  This thread will be yours for discussion of your situation, and to record your progress.

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you so much for the welcome, Karen! Apart from anxiety, I am experiencing a wide variety of symptoms. I am new to associating this to my rapid withdrawal, so will have to catch up on whether these symptoms are typical. I am suffering severe fatigue, insomnia, sensitivity to loud noise and bright lights and also to strong smells. I suffer from debilitating agoraphobia, where this was never an issue before in my life. I cannot tolerate caffeine in even the minutest amounts, and dark chocolate has the same effect (I get intense shaking that goes on for hours). I also suffer from very blurred vision (eyes feel 'wobbly' and unable to focus), and an inability to concentrate for extended periods. I also experience extreme muscle and joint pains.

My symptoms have moved on from what I suffered initially. I say 'initially'- the real horror started about 3 months after quitting the fluoxetine. I honestly thought I had descended into the bowels of hell! I will talk more about that later if anyone is interested. It still upsets me to recall those extremely dark days.

The reason why I was taken off the Fluoxetine immediately was due to my eosinophilia and urticaria which wouldn't abate following the episode of anaphylaxis (the drug I had a reaction to was the antibiotic Trimethoprim). The Consultant said that Fluoxetine was a 'histamine releaser', so she wanted me off it immediately. Can I also add that AT THE SAME TIME, I had to rapidly withdraw from Morphine which I was taking following spinal surgery. It truly was, as you can imagine, pure hell!

Thank you for the links, too - I am looking forward to learning as much as possible to further my recovery, and there is some brilliant and encouraging information here!

Forced off Prozac 20mg immediately by my Anaphylaxis Consultant (no taper) after 23 years following anaphylaxis to an antibiotic in 2012 and having continued eosinophilia with unknown cause. Struggling ever since.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for explaining about the reasons for stopping Prozac - we are a curious bunch here :)

All of those symptoms you describe are very common in w/d.  Acupuncture can be helpful for some of them.  You may like to have a look at this checklist of w/d symptoms too. 

Working on digestive health and healing your Vagus Nerve can also help.  There's a lot you can read about and start to incorporate into your life. 

I'm glad to hear that although things are still very difficult, they have moved on from the dark days.  Healing is happening, albeit slowly. 

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi,

I'm sorry about your struggles. I also suffer from most of your symptoms. The head pressure, focus, concentration, vision issues to. I can see fine driving a car and when stationary. While walking or TV watching it's hard to focus. Hard to explain. Anyways, when was your last dose? Does your health concerns keep you from being able to reinstate?

Lexapro: started in 2002 at 10 mgs.

Ambien: started as a as needed sleep aid in 2010.

Quit Lexapro cold turkey in June 20015 due to contributing to low sodium issues.

Restarted Lexapro in late November for a week (only 5 mgs) but quit due to dizziness side effects. Side effects worsened for 3 weeks until

12/24/15: Protracted WD hit, experienced extreme anxiety, insomnia lack of full concentration and social challenges.

Reinstated Lexapro on 1/1/16 at 5 mgs. Increased per Dr to 7.5 MG. Tapered off Lexapro in March 2016.

Started 50MG of Seroquel in late January 2016 for bedtime to help in eliminate Ambien. Tapered off both Seroquel and Ambien in March 2016.

2/14/16: Prescribed both Remeron (15 MG) and Temazapam (15 MG) for sleep. Also use Klonopin and Ambien again in place of Temazapam to avoid addiction. However I did take Temazapam 60 straight days

6/15/16: Stopped use of all benzo's and now use Belsomra 1-2 times a week. Still on 15 MG of Remeron

10/11/16: Off all psych medications

After kindling, trying to regain my strength suffering from severe mental and physical fatigue.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Templestorm,

I'm so sorry about what you have been through, and still are. But I'm happy you found us and now realize you're not alone.

What you write below was me a few years ago. I came off lexapro much too fast after 13 years of use

I am suffering severe fatigue, insomnia, sensitivity to loud noise and bright lights and also to strong smells. I suffer from debilitating agoraphobia, where this was never an issue before in my life. I cannot tolerate caffeine in even the minutest amounts, and dark chocolate has the same effect (I get intense shaking that goes on for hours). I also suffer from very blurred vision (eyes feel 'wobbly' and unable to focus), and an inability to concentrate for extended periods.
.... I honestly thought I had descended into the bowels of hell!

A visit to hell is exactly how I would describe it.  But these symptoms slowly improve over time. When I first found this site I also didn't know what was wrong with me, it took a while to really sink in and understand how healing was going to happen and to trust that I was actually getting better.

I was also agoraphobic. I hardly even left my room where I had my windows blacked out, could stay quiet and minimize stimulation. But whenever there was even the slightest sound from another room or outside, it was like a physical blow to my body. My ear plugs became my best friends. My symptoms would ease up slightly towards evening and then if I had to, I could force myself to drive around the corner to buy food, but the experience was like going out into a nightmare world and being on a bad drug trip at the same time. I also became scared to drive, the feelings of fear and panic were extreme, I would be pouring with sweat and shaking, but I made myself do it anyway. I'm stubborn and independent and didn't want to ask anyone else for help, but there were times when I had to. I don't recommend doing anything which makes your symptoms worse, I regret pushing myself as hard as I did, reducing stress and cultivating calm is what the nervous system needs most.

Do you have someone to do shopping for you and to get the things you need?

I still don't like going out all that much, maybe because I've got into the habit of staying home, but its easy now, most of the time. But I still get waves, as in the windows and waves topic that Karen posted, but they're not as bad as they used to be. I can even eat a little dark chocolate again

You can be assured that you will continue to recover and there's lots of good information here about how you can provide the best environment and self care to support that process.

I'm glad you joined our little community, but sorry you had to.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes