zon: Lost and don't know what to do :(

zon

Hey guys, very glad to find this forum which seems to have the same mindset as me; not strictly for or against antidepressants but approaching them with caution. So I hope someone here can help guide me in the right direction.

So anyway, I started to have mild-moderate depression/anxiety about a year ago after a very rough time moving to a new country (Germany) and trying to start a new freelance career. Basically everything just seemed to go wrong and I've lost my confidence in all areas of my life. I have very low motivation and focus, I have very low confidence in myself to do my work or meet new people, and so I am basically failing in all areas of my life. I also learnt during this time that I have ADHD which also adds to the problems.

Finally after a few visits to a few doctors I got put on Zoloft (Sertraline) and thought all my troubles would finally start to go away. But unfortunately after a week or 2 on a very small dose of around half a pill to start (25mg-40mg) I've noticed I am now having problems to orgasm, then after a little research I am now reading that this problem can persist even long after stopping the SSRI! Right now I am extremely worried about this as sex was one of the few areas of my life I was actually happy with but I hope this problem won't last for years like it has in some people...

So now I am extremely frustrated, confused and unsure what to do. I've researched 100s of different medication options but can't seem to find anything that might work for me, and I don't want to play russian roulette with my sex life, I also don't want to stop drinking alcohol as that would damage my social life. I of course do try to solve my issues without medication in every way that I can but sometimes this just isn't enough :/ I would love to give ADHD meds a try but unfortunately they are generally not allowed in Germany for adults :(

Does anyone have any idea what I can do? I feel like every single medication has a catch that is too bad for me to take... And I really don't think I can get myself out of this hole without a little help :/

Please if anyone has any suggestions they will be hugely appreciated!

Also if there are any ways to safely take SSRI type medications without the risk of long term sexual dysfunction please let me know.

Depression, anxiety and panic attacks since 2015.

Imipramine (TCA) 10mg per day for 3 weeks with then stopped.

Zoloft (SSRI) 25-40mg per day for 2 weeks then stopped because of sexual side effects.

You sound like me when I decided to start on Zoloft. I regret that day a lot. Your sexual capacity is precious. To lose it would lead to a depression far greater than anything you might be feeling now. I would focus on diet, exercise, meditation, and psychotherapy. I would start the taper ASAP if I were you. It's just not worth the risk.

With your adhd I believe there are a lot of natural remedies that are much less riskier than anything the Dr can prescribe. I suspect there are advantages to having that condition as well. I might seek to make the most of it, instead of seeing it as a malady.

What I just want told you is what I wish I would have heard 13 years ago.

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

Hi,

I'm very happy that you found out so quickly how damaging these SSRIs are.

ALL SSRIs have the capability of producing all the bad side effects and long-term withdrawal symptoms that Zoloft produces.

Unfortunately, there is no safe way to find out if an SSRI is damaging you; they are all very powerful, nerve-altering drugs.

Often, people are on an SSRI for months and years with no bad side effects, but when they want to get off, they find they are already very damaged; that's what happened to me.

If you only used Zoloft for a few weeks or month, you should recover rather quickly after tapering off of it. 

Here is  a story about a man who was on Zoloft for years, and it took him four and a half years of very difficult withdrawal to finally regain his sexual function. It demonstrates how horrible and drawn-out Zoloft withdrawal can be, yet it is also a great story of successful recovery:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3523-success-recovery-from-protracted-zoloft-withdrawal-and-pssd/

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hi Zon-- welcome to the group. I'm very sorry to hear that you're having problems because of these drugs.  Many of the other members here have had similar experience's.   Actually we are very anti psych drugs.  This site is all about how to get off of them without suffering too much pain.  We do not make recommendations about how to use what drug or how to mix and match drugs to get a desired result.  If you're interested in getting off of the one you're currently taking we can surely help and we have a lot of information of nondrug methods of handling life's stressors.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  zon ,  welcome to the site.

" But unfortunately after a week or 2 on a very small dose of around half a pill to start (25mg-40mg) I've noticed I am now having problems to orgasm,"

If you take these meds. longer than 2 weeks , you are at risk of withdrawal syndrome if you stop abruptly.

You will need to taper off over a week or so in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

There are many many non-drug methods of coping with anxiety that don't have any side-effects.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yeah... Honestly I don't want to go anywhere near SSRIs again but I still need something. I am already doing all the non medication things I can for depression and plan to continue but it is not enough :( Isn't there any safer alternative to SSRIs that doesn't have the same longterm risks?

Zoloft (SSRI) 25-40mg per day for 2 weeks then stopped because of sexual side effects.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a site for helping people try to get off antidepressants safely and try to recover from the damage.

We do not recommend new drugs for you to check out.

There are lots of other websites if that's what you're looking for.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

From my personal experience, one has to figure out what's causing it all. The best way to sort all that out is through talk therapy. And on a deeper more existential level finding meaning in life. Pharmaceuticals have no answers that will not lead to greater regret later on, unless you are truly truly in a state of complete utter disrepair. And from what you shared, I believe you are just missing a subtle perspective in life that could change your whole outlook. I say that because your words echo my inner voice that I had when I started on Zoloft. Your at a very delicate crossroad as you so pointed out and choosing a pill could end up disastrous. When I was at that crossroad, I panicked and chose the pill. I was sold a false bill of goods. It's a decision I regret everyday. Be kind to yourself and search and search. Don't let fear drive you to gamble with your life.

I started using Paxil for about 2 yrs. I then switched to Zoloft/sertraline (anywhere from 50 mg to 150 mg) for 10 years, thereafter.Last year around November, I started tapering from 100mg. The process was quite crude I will admit: I simply broke off pieces of my the pill keeping close tabs on my feelings and emotions. Am not able to say how many mg I was over what period of time because I was doing it completely intuitively. By the end of December 2014, I had been completely off. Truthfully the emotional aspects that I experienced were rough but paled in comparison to the physical problems that soon manifested. As the drugs left my system I started to notice twisting in my torso and neck. As someone who was very active, I was abruptly forced to stopped going to the gym when one day I lost some coordination of my pelvis and trunk. After doing some research, I realized I might have tardive dystonia in my trunk, neck, and hips. I developed an awkward gait making walking, sitting, and being active difficult and often painful. I end up walking on the outer edge of my feet. <p>I want to believe that this is nothing more than one of the withdrawal symptoms that will go away over time. But, it's been a year and a half and there has been no improvement.

This is a site for helping people try to get off antidepressants safely and try to recover from the damage.

We do not recommend new drugs for you to check out.

There are lots of other websites if that's what you're looking for.

I understand, but for me that is the only way to get off of SSRIs. I am trying my best to avoid taking any anti depressant like that, but I am already doing everything non-chemical that I could, including psychotherapy, healthy living to the best of my ability and so on... and I won't have a choice if I don't do something soon, my life is simply not funtioning and I need to do something about it otherwise SSRIs will be my only choice... It would be either that or likely end up homeless because unfortunately my landlord doesn't care if I am depressed or not... :(

I don't know if there are any less dangerous drugs that could help me than SSRIs, but if not that is a very sad and hopeless news for me :(

So we're going to need to know more about the Zoloft and any other drugs you've been experimenting with.  Are you still taking the Zoloft and how much? If you stopped taking it how did you stop, when did you stop? Please make a complete list and add it to a signature block so we can see the details of what is going on.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

So we're going to need to know more about the Zoloft and any other drugs you've been experimenting with.  Are you still taking the Zoloft and how much? If you stopped taking it how did you stop, when did you stop? Please make a complete list and add it to a signature block so we can see the details of what is going on.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Well I was first put on 10mg imipramine which I tried for 3 weeks but have since been told by my new doctor and therapist that it doesn't make any sense and they have no idea why the first doctor did that. Also one of the reasons I changed doctors.

The new doctor suggested Effexor (venlafaxine) but I asked for something with less side effects so he gave me Zoloft (sertraline). Of which I took 25mg (half a pill) for a week, then tried to take a whole pill but felt sick, so started taking 3/4 for another week. When the sexual side effects got more than I was willing to accept I went back to half a pill while deciding what to do (2 days), now I know about the potential long term side effects I went down to 1/4 pill (3 days) and wish I'd never gone near the stuff. I don't know it is even worth trying to taper from such a tiny dose, but better safe than sorry.

I haven't been back to see the doctor yet because I simply don't know what to tell him. I've also lost trust in him as he didn't tell me anything about the potential dangers of SSRIs/SNRIs...

Oh and I just had a massive panic attack a few hours ago and almost ruined my relationship with my girlfriend which is one of many reasons I don't think I can survive without any kind of medications at all, at least not right now... I wish I could :( So at least I want to find something that won't do long term damage to me until I can get my life back on track :(

That really helps.  One other important question, what was the date you last took the Zoloft?  Not to discount the original reasons you tried the drugs, it looks like you had an adverse reaction to the drugs from the beginning and are still suffering the lingering affects of that.  Which would be compounding the original conditions.  That adverse reaction can take many months to work its way out, but it will settle down if left to its own devises.  The problem is that once a person has had an adverse reaction to these drugs it makes them very sensitive to them and any "natural remedy" that works in a similar manner.  All the herbal and the like remedies that would be applicable are in affect SSRIs, as they work by the same mechanism but are less effective and not as well controlled.  For example the most popular one, St Johns Wort, can be effective, but only works for a few weeks before reaching tolerance and needing to be slowly tapered off of.

The big problem with taking medication for these sorts of things is that it doesn't actually reduce the anxiety, depression or panic.  All they do is make it so you don't care about them, and in the mean time making it so you don't care about much of anything else either.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a fight with your GF because of a panic attack.  If there is a good thing about panic attacks it's that left on their own they will peak and fade quickly.  Usually in under fifteen minutes.  The trick is to not "panic" over it while it happens.  The additional freaking out adds a lot of strength to the attack making it a lot worse than it needs to be.  There are certain tell tale signs which different from person to person, that one is about to happen.  By learning to recognize your signs it is possible to stop the attack in its tracks before it has a chance to get going.  For me, there is a certain dropping feeling in my stomach.  When I feel that I say "oh no you don't" let all the tension drop from my body and blank my mind.  After a few moments I take a deep breath and focus on doing anything else as I let the panic sensations fade of their own accord.

• 3 months later...

*topic moved from symptoms forum

My doctor is suggesting me to try promethazine 10-20mg as an alternative to benzos, which is mostly a sleep aid but he says it also has some anti anxiety effects but is not at all addictive in any way or has any common long term side effects. I can't find too much info about it online except a few random reviews here and there backing up what he says. Just wondering if anyone has tried or knows anything about this drug?

Like:

Is it really non-addictive (not causing withdrawal syptoms), and safe to use as often as I might like?

Are there any potential for long term side effects or damage?

How long does it take to kick in, and how long does the positive effect last?

Thanks for any experience anyone might have to share.

Edited by Petunia
added note

Like every other drug that shows up here as an alternative to ssris or benzos this one is just as bad as the drug it's meant to be replacing. It plays with the benzo receptors so it has the attributes of a benzo, It plays with the Dopamine receptors so it's similar to  sdris.  It plays badly with most ssris and maois and has a laundry list of side effects that we are all very familiar with. It's not the take it anytime take it for life pill your doctor is indicating it is.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/phenadoz

Like every other drug that shows up here as an alternative to ssris or benzos this one is just as bad as the drug it's meant to be replacing. It plays with the benzo receptors so it has the attributes of a benzo, It plays with the Dopamine receptors so it's similar to  sdris.  It plays badly with most ssris and maois and has a laundry list of side effects that we are all very familiar with. It's not the take it anytime take it for life pill your doctor is indicating it is.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/phenadoz

Do you have any sources for that? I read the whole link but it didn't say any of the things you did. In fact it also never said anything about helping with anxiety at all.

There were several good websites that came up in the search. Drugs.com, webmd.com and others. I only gave a link to the one.  Each site had a slightly different list of uses.

• Moderator Emeritus

My doctor is suggesting me to try promethazine 10-20mg as an alternative to benzos, which is mostly a sleep aid but he says it also has some anti anxiety effects but is not at all addictive in any way or has any common long term side effects. I can't find too much info about it online except a few random reviews here and there backing up what he says. Just wondering if anyone has tried or knows anything about this drug?

Like:

Is it really non-addictive (not causing withdrawal syptoms), and safe to use as often as I might like?

Are there any potential for long term side effects or damage?

How long does it take to kick in, and how long does the positive effect last?

Thanks for any experience anyone might have to share.

This is a site for going off drugs. It is not a site for finding out what drug to take next, comparing drug cocktails, or recommending what drug to add. This could be dangerous. People could be hurt by your advice.

(We do not know of any drugs or drug combination that will fix withdrawal syndrome. Reinstatement of the original drug, often at a low dose, sometimes helps and sometimes does not.)

If you want to discuss your diagnoses and talk about adding to your drug cocktail, there are other support sites for this.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes