SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 September ×

Xavier: New

Xavier

Hello.

Here is my progression. I'll try not too be too long.

3 years ago, I was very very healthy but felt desperate because I was very lonely with no job. I was very naive and beeing told by "friends" i might have a mental disorder and should go to a psychiatrist to feel better. I went to a psychiatrist who prescriped me abilify. After two weeks, I developed dreadful side effects by dozen, I couldn't remember anything, had heart, massive panick, gastroinstestinal, sleep, genital issues and the "doctor" told me there are no side effects, then I stopped the drug and had a major seizure. I returned to the "doctor" who smiled and laughed and polydrugged me for many months.

amisulpride, quetiapine, olanzapine, xanax, alimemazine, lormétazepam, effexor, lorazepam. Overnight : my face aged, it became swollen (cheeks, nose), muscles and skin wasted, massive and chronic diarrhea, genital shrunk with loss of sensitivity and libido, loss of all emotions, hair loss, loss of sensitivity in the joints, blurred vision with hypersensitivity to light, major insomnia.......

I was a guinea pig and destroyed by that mocking psychiatrist telling me all my issues are a mental pre-exsting disease. I looked for many causes since I finished to believe the drugs were not the cause of my mind and body destruction. My life only turned around the drugs I had to take. If I missed one take the seizures went back. Drug slave, nothing more.

Eventually by chance I met a friend skilled in drugs, pharmacology and neurology who weaned me very slowly from antipsychotics but reaching the half way of the taper I had a major seizure with diarrhea and vomiting and loss of consciousness. By chance in my state of half consciousness I read an article about how to block such rebounds with benzodiazepines and I went to a physician skilled in drugs and my friend was here to witness me and explain the barbary I had to endure for many months and the seizure going on. I asked I might take valium and the doctor was very caught since it is what he was thinking about. The seizure stopped immediately after the first take of valium.

I'm fully tapered since december after almost 2 years of painful microtaper, I had some small seizures when I went to fast.

Now it is my second battle. Nothing concerning the body improved except the addiction is finished, I'm in the same body state as in the major destruction. I recovered 60% of my intellectual capacities with the desire to be fully healed and not only in mind but also in body. But my body and emotions seem to be wrecked for ever with those sequela which remain.

Mid 2012 : aripiprazole for nothing (actually only 2 reasons : no job and lonely)>serotoninergic syndrome+seizure>psychiatrist denial> amisulpride 400mg +quetiapine 600mg +olanzapine 10mg +xanax 0,5 mg +alimemazine+lormétazepam+effexor+lorazepam during almost 2 years>

Saved by a pharmacologist from major seizure during the antipsychotics taper > switched to 16 mg diazepam taper since may 2014. Failed at 12mg in july.16 mg again in july 2014.1mg down every week.failed at 3,33 mg in november 2014,back to 5mg at slower taper rate
febr 2015 4mg  /march 2015 3mg  / may 2015 2mg / june 2015 1,66mg   /july 1,33mg  / aug end 0,66mg  / sept end 0,33mg  /  oct end 0,17mg   /   1st nov 0,14mg  /  10 dec 2015 JUMPED

Aged swollen face, huge wieght gain impossible to loose despite healthy diet and workout, belly,insomnia,gastrointestinal disorder,dry sagging skin,genital shrinkage, no libido, muscle+hair loss,wrecked maybe forever but not tortured by drugs anymore.

Hi New.  Welcome.

" I'm fully tapered since December after almost 2 years of microtaper, I had some small seizures when I went to fast."

"Now it is my second battle. Nothing improved, I'm in the same state as in the major destruction. I only recovered 60% of my intellectual capacities. But my body and emotions seem to be wrecked for ever with those sequela which remain."

I'm fully tapered since december after almost 2 years of microtaper, I had some small seizures when I went to fast."

This will take time but in the meantime how can we help?  How are your symptoms now ?

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi New.  Welcome.

" I'm fully tapered since December after almost 2 years of microtaper, I had some small seizures when I went to fast."

"Now it is my second battle. Nothing improved, I'm in the same state as in the major destruction. I only recovered 60% of my intellectual capacities. But my body and emotions seem to be wrecked for ever with those sequela which remain."

I'm fully tapered since december after almost 2 years of microtaper, I had some small seizures when I went to fast."

How can we help you?

Ali

I'll likely start some topics to talk about specific protracted sequelae if they have not been evoked in the forum, with hopefully positive feedbacks to hold on.

Mid 2012 : aripiprazole for nothing (actually only 2 reasons : no job and lonely)>serotoninergic syndrome+seizure>psychiatrist denial> amisulpride 400mg +quetiapine 600mg +olanzapine 10mg +xanax 0,5 mg +alimemazine+lormétazepam+effexor+lorazepam during almost 2 years>

Saved by a pharmacologist from major seizure during the antipsychotics taper > switched to 16 mg diazepam taper since may 2014. Failed at 12mg in july.16 mg again in july 2014.1mg down every week.failed at 3,33 mg in november 2014,back to 5mg at slower taper rate
febr 2015 4mg  /march 2015 3mg  / may 2015 2mg / june 2015 1,66mg   /july 1,33mg  / aug end 0,66mg  / sept end 0,33mg  /  oct end 0,17mg   /   1st nov 0,14mg  /  10 dec 2015 JUMPED

Aged swollen face, huge wieght gain impossible to loose despite healthy diet and workout, belly,insomnia,gastrointestinal disorder,dry sagging skin,genital shrinkage, no libido, muscle+hair loss,wrecked maybe forever but not tortured by drugs anymore.

This is a bit off topic, but... can't you sue that guy? You were prescribed an anti-psychotic for minor anxiety? I think that's malpractice.

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

This is a bit off topic, but... can't you sue that guy? You were prescribed an anti-psychotic for minor anxiety? I think that's malpractice.

I have no proof at all that he told me there is no danger nor that the drugs destroyed me, and on the prescription sheets, the drug names were impossible to read (contrary to the physician who saved me who wrote very clearly). Some datas in the medical files tell I'm mentally ill. Even physicians from other areas didn't dared reconsider it officially though they told me i'm mentally sane. Here physicians are a corporation which usually never reconsider their colleagues if they made mistakes... unless several deaths or several patient rapes happen........or strong proof...... One of them even told me "I know you were harmed but there is no proof, I can't do anything for you... and he is a colleague"

(Out of topic : A drug called mediator killed many people here and 30 years later the case is still not resolved. There are also many victims from hepatite B vaccin suffering from multiple sclerosis with no real proof and the list could be longer)

Recently I managed to get a very small proof that I have brain damage since electroencephalogram eventually showed impossibility to have deep sleep nor regular rem sleep. Therefore I guess I could sue if I continue to get proofs like a puzzle and if, hopefully, physicians monitoring currently my health catch enough proofs, especially if I miraculously recover (i.e walking dead reversing evidently to healthy human).

• Administrator

Welcome, Xavier.

Are you taking Valium now?

Did you have withdrawal symptoms while you were tapering? What were they, how long did they last?

It's very common that when people go off psychiatric drugs, they have sleep problems. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with other symptoms.

It will take time for your body to recover. This will be very slow and frustrating, you have to be patient and take care of yourself to help your body heal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, Xavier.

Are you taking Valium now?

Did you have withdrawal symptoms while you were tapering? What were they, how long did they last?

It's very common that when people go off psychiatric drugs, they have sleep problems. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/for suggestions about how to cope with other symptoms.

It will take time for your body to recover. This will be very slow and frustrating, you have to be patient and take care of yourself to help your body heal.

Thank you.

It was three years of struggle and the only purpose of existence was to be weaned from those drugs which put me in a state of lobotomy / drug slave. when I had the seizure under antipsychotics withdrawal I couldn't longer sleep and breath, vomited and had diarrhea with everything I eat and finally was no longer able to eat, and valium did wonders with a unexpected crossover from antipsychotic to long life benzodiazepine which worked, quiet easy to cut since it exists in liquid.

I took my last valium dose in december, it was a tenth of one drop. The main withdrawal symptoms (apart from the damage initially induced by antipsychotics in my signature) were insomnia, mood swings, night convulsion and myoclonus, derealization, diarrhea, memory loss etc but since the last taper stages i started to recover a bit of my mind, and i'm able to clearly assess the damages now with an humble wish to recover everything 100%.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Xavier , welcome to the site.

Thanks for havimg a go at your signature , but I wonder if you could add some detail so we have a context.

- the year / months you started on any meds.

- doses of each med. if you remember

- dates you took your last valium , and dates you took your last psych. drugs (and what that was)

This comes up each time you post , so readers can see your history at a glance.

There are lots of topics in the Symptoms and Self Care section for ideas to enhance and facilitate your recovery from here.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Xavier - I see you are still on site - have you been over to http://www.madinamerica.com ?

There is lots of activism discussion there. 

Additionally, they have just released a new, worldwide survey for those who have been on the drugs.  This gives you the opportunity to report in an official study:

https://swinburnefhad.au1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0jPOxpXhPLNZjmZ&Q_JFE=0

There is also a study for collecting patient data from "antipsychotic" (I prefer to call them "neuroleptic" - they are not "anti" psychotic so much as "anti-brain") drugs - the study is still in design phase, and you can have your input as to how you would like to see this study unfold:

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/05/please-join-groundbreaking-research-psychiatric-medications/

I'm so glad you came out alive, and I hope to hear that you are regaining your faculties.  Brains can heal - it just takes time.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!