IrishBlue: Hi to all....setraline user currently off about a month cold turkey....

irishblue

Hi to everyone,

Quick synopsis of my story.

Started on prothiaden in 05, on and off til 08 and then finally got off it, mainly with the help of exeroisse​Had a bad episode of depression in Dec 13. Was prescribed 50mg per day setraline (zoloft) and found it very good, much better than prothiaden.

Ive had a couple of attempts to get off it, always cold turkey and they were unsuccessful, mainly due to either returning anxiety and/or something going on in my life that made me feel I needed to remain on it.

Have now been off it 3-4 weeks cold turkey and feeling very down the last week or so.
​Just looking for advice on whether what Im experiencing is typical, other's experiences of my situation, advice, help wharever.

Mid 30s male.

Cheers.

As of 16/02/2016 - 3-4 weeks cold turkey from 50 mg/day of setraline On 50 mg/day since December 2013.

Some previous CT attempts, none lasting > week, all failed for various reasons.

Symptoms - very few until approx. 10 days ago.

Currently anxiety not high, which is a suprise, but very depressed, comes in waves. Very easily irritated and frustrated. Close to crying on numerous occasions since start of CT, and very, emotional. Constant need to feel in control, so very ocd right now. Waking very tired. Depression worse in mornings. Sleeping ok, no sweats which were v. common for me on Setraline. Very vivid, strange dreams. Lack of motivation. Appetite ok. Depression by far the worst symptom, I expected it to be anxiety. Really down at times. Feeling overwhelmed.

Most concerned with the suicidal thoughts, theyve been strong for me personally (not common for me to have them) and have occured multiple times over the last couple of weeks.

Apologies for lack of dates/specifics, Ive not kept them since 1st going on AD's in '05, at odds w/ fact I'm v. good at adhering to dosage.

As of 17/02/2016 - restarted on 25mg/day. Really hoping it helps in some way.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello IrishBlue,

It is very common to experience difficulties after a cold-turkey, or a too-fast taper.  Especially on the back of a couple of other ct's.  Withdrawal symptoms can include anxiety and depression, as well as physical symptoms, and they can get worse before they get better.  That's not to scare you, just to give you all the facts so you can make some good decisions.  Many people go back on their drug because they mistake withdrawal anxiety for a relapse. 

Recognising what is actually happening can get you through a lot.  What is Withdrawal Syndrome? 

There are options when you are this close to your last dose.  Reinstatement of a small amount of Sertraline can help your Central Nervous System to stabilse, meaning you'll hopefully feel much better.  Then, after a month or two, you could gently taper by no more than 10% per month.  This gives your brain time to adjust as you go.  From what we have seen here, this would be your best bet for success.

The other option is to ride it out, but that's an option many have come to regret. 

Many people find Omega-3 fish oil and Magnesium useful during withdrawal, and our Symptoms and Self-Care forum has many other ideas.

Could you fill out a Signature with your drug and tapering details/dates?  It's really helpful for us to be able to see your situation whenever you post. 

Okay, have a read of those links and then you can come back to this thread to discuss things further.  This will be your journal to record your tapering progress.

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks Karen, I will have a good read of these this evening.

Woke early this morning and have decided not to return to sleep as I find that when I do that, I always wake after the short sleep feeling really down and miserable.

As of 16/02/2016 - 3-4 weeks cold turkey from 50 mg/day of setraline On 50 mg/day since December 2013.

Currently anxiety not high, which is a suprise, but very depressed, comes in waves. Very easily irritated and frustrated. Close to crying on numerous occasions since start of CT, and very, emotional. Constant need to feel in control, so very ocd right now. Waking very tired. Depression worse in mornings. Sleeping ok, no sweats which were v. common for me on Setraline. Very vivid, strange dreams. Lack of motivation. Appetite ok. Depression by far the worst symptom, I expected it to be anxiety. Really down at times. Feeling overwhelmed.

Most concerned with the suicidal thoughts, theyve been strong for me personally (not common for me to have them) and have occured multiple times over the last couple of weeks.

Apologies for lack of dates/specifics, Ive not kept them since 1st going on AD's in '05, at odds w/ fact I'm v. good at adhering to dosage.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep - good plan that, listening to your body.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Seriously considering returning to some dosage as the depression is starting to worry me.

Have I left it too late? Thinking of 25mg per day, previous dosage was 50 mg. Been on it just over 2 years and adhered well, had a few other CT attempts, all short-lived.

Any advice/help very much appreciated

Did you do a slow taper? Glad you found this site, very helpful people, I'm sure a mod will be by shortly to give advice, your not alone!!!

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

Did you do a slow taper? Glad you found this site, very helpful people, I'm sure a mod will be by shortly to give advice, your not alone!!!

No taper unfortunately my friend, and I think I have vastly underestimated the stupidity of that choice.

I am annoyed at myself in that I cant even remember the exact date I stopped. All I know is that it was early in January.

I've been foolish, but I am so sick to death of being on these medications.

It killed my libido and being in a new relationship the last 10 months, that is something I was finding very difficult.

Libido is about the only thing thats improved since quitting.

I can understand your feelings, but cold turkey is not the way to go, makes for a long WD period with horrid symptoms, what are your symptoms now? How long have you been off, like a month? I don't want to scare you, but it is possible the worst is yet to come, that's what happened too me, the WD syptoms hit hard and I crashed big time, I've reinstated a small dose, to prevent further WD and try to stabilize, once I'm stable, months from now, I will do a very slow slow slow taper, with the help of the amazing mods on this forum. We all want off the drugs, I'm like I want off them yesterday, but I know that's not going to happen, without serious consequences. Slow and steady

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

• Moderator Emeritus

Irishblue, you had no way of knowing that a taper, and a sloooooow one at that, was the best way to go.  People

aren't telling us that until we somehow fortunately find this wonderful forum.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi IrishBlue,

The mods will move this post and merge it with your original "Irishblue: Hi to all".  Your intro topic is for you to ask questions specific to your own situation and to use as a journal of your progress.

As for reinstating, I assume you have read the link that KarenB gave you.  Because you have been off your drug for a little while you are best to wait for a suggestion of what dose to reinstate as you shouldn't take your last dose.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

irishblue, I merged your new topic with your original one, its one intro thread per member. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

Was prescribed 50mg per day setraline (zoloft)...

Have now been off it 3-4 weeks cold turkey and feeling very down the last week or so...

You are probably experiencing withdrawal symptoms, cold turkey is never a good idea. Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Seriously considering returning to some dosage as the depression is starting to worry me.

Have I left it too late? Thinking of 25mg per day, previous dosage was 50 mg.

No, not too late, I agree that 25mg would be a good dose to try seeing as you have only been off it 3-4 weeks, but don't leave it too much longer to decide or 25mg might be too much for you.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ive started back on the 25mg today, and told only my girlfriend.

I just feel incredibly down and it honestly worries me. I thought I could make it with the CT, but I dont think thats gonna be the case.

I did manage that with prothiaden in 08 when I finally got off it after over 3 years taking it, but I was a different person then.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi IrishBlue,

Hopefully you'll start to feel the result of reinstating very soon.  It does take 4 days for the drug to get to the full amount in your body but symptoms can start to ease before.

As for thinking you could get off prothiaden because you were a different person, it has nothing to do with you as a person.  The drugs change your brain (links below).  Also your CNS has been sensitised by your previous CT attempts of sertraline.  You'll need to hold at 25 mg for at least a couple of months, maybe more, to stablise.  These couple of things helped me to understand what the drugs do to the brain and have made me realise why holding to stablise is important.

Video: Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling

It's also a good idea to learn CBT eg An Introductory Self-Help Course in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, or this Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying).  It can help you get through tapering and also to cope post-taper.  If there were any issues in your past that caused/contributed to why you went on antidepressants it may be worthwhile seeing a therapist (you don't have to tell them you are tapering) to help you deal with these because they may cause problems when you are drug free.

CC

Edited:  reworded

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks chessiecat, some good food for thought there.

I feel a bit defeated having to go back on them again, but its honestly for the best and I know this, given how Ive been feeling the last few days. I havent felt that bad in a long, long time, its frightening quite honestly. Depression never ceases to surprise in just how bad it can be.

Thanks again.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey IrishBlue,

You are not alone in being unable to ride out withdrawal.  I can't think of anyone on this site who has managed that.  As the days go by, you'll probably find yourself taking on new ideas and understandings about it all, and you'll feel more accepting of it all.  (Hopefully :) - from what I've seen on here, that's usually what happens). 

You made a really good decision in reinstating.  Now you can hold at this dose for t least a few months and during that time you can focus on your self-care, especially around that depression. 

You deserve some good stuff coming into your life!

Karen

8 month hold.

Hey IrishBlue,

You are not alone in being unable to ride out withdrawal.  I can't think of anyone on this site who has managed that.  As the days go by, you'll probably find yourself taking on new ideas and understandings about it all, and you'll feel more accepting of it all.  (Hopefully :) - from what I've seen on here, that's usually what happens). 

You made a really good decision in reinstating.  Now you can hold at this dose for t least a few months and during that time you can focus on your self-care, especially around that depression. 

You deserve some good stuff coming into your life!

Karen

Thanks for the kind words Karen.

I have a lot of good stuff in my life already, and am thankful for that. I thought I'd finally reached a point where I might be able to break free from the hold of these meds, but I definitely underestimated the issues surrounding going CT.

I am now committed to this dose for the forseeable future, and hopefully I will start to feel a little better soon.

I kinda wish I had never started on these drugs, but unfortunately that is something that cannot be undone. And who knows how things would have worked out had I not started on them.

I will keep you all updated as I go.

Thanks again, all the best to you all.

Hi Irish Blue.    You made a good choice , however,  I do not believe what Karen said is true.  Some of us have been  " doing it tough " . Riding out withdrawal .

I'm at a loss to understand what you mean , Karen .  I'm not the only one . A few of us come to mind ! 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

A quick qs for those who might know.

I have no recorded dates for when I completely stopped  taking my sertraline dose, whoever Im pretty sure that prior to reinstating 25 mg on 17th Feb, I had been stopped for 3-5 weeks maxs.

Having been on the drug for approx 26 months or so, is my timeframe for withdrawl typical?

I started feeling awful probably around 2 weeks ago, and its got steadily worse since, peaking over last couple of days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Apologies for unclear wording - what I was trying to say is that I can't think of a situation where a person went cold turkey, continued to 'ride it out' and found that was a good decision because it all started getting easier.  We all know that just doesn't happen too often. 

That is what leads us to suggest reinstatement.  Irishblue - you've made a good decision.  You don't want to be trying to tough it out for years. 

Karen

8 month hold.

Karen . Apologies also for misunderstanding and being sensitive.  :blush:   You're so right . It doesn't happen. C/T is never a good option. 

Irish.    That is very true.  Given a choice , this is the better option. You really don't want to have to tough it out , if you can avoid it.  Perhaps, keep notes on your symptoms , over the next few weeks.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I have no recorded dates for when I completely stopped  taking my sertraline dose, whoever Im pretty sure that prior to reinstating 25 mg on 17th Feb, I had been stopped for 3-5 weeks maxs.

Having been on the drug for approx 26 months or so, is my timeframe for withdrawl typical?

I started feeling awful probably around 2 weeks ago, and its got steadily worse since, peaking over last couple of days.

Would really appreciate if anyone with experneice could answer the questions above.

​Im back on 25 mg 5 days now. Had a horrible weekend, horrifically down upon waking upon, tiredness as bad as I've ever known, My girlfriend had to suffer thru it all.

I had no motivation to even leave the house and zero appetite.

Considering returning to my original 50mg dose from tomoro.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi irishblue,

It's a good idea to start keeping notes on paper at this point -- what dose you're taking, what symptoms you're having, etc. There is a great Antidepressant withdrawal symptom checklist at Dr. Glenmullen's site: http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf. 

In answer to your question about whether your timeline is typical: I'd say for going cold-turkey, your recovery is amazing. 

You said in your last post that the symptoms seemed to have peaked -- but then you had a really bad weekend. How has it been today?

Don't judge yourself too harshly (easier said than done!!!) for reinstating. AD withdrawal has been compared to heroin withdrawal. It can be absolute hell. It's your choice, but going up and then slooooowly coming off could be a good option.

I'll try to continue following this thread but feel free to message me if you'd like.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

• Moderator Emeritus

That link to the symptom list doesn't work.  But it is available here on SA.  The original PDF list is that as well as an Excel Monthly Sheet,  a Printable Monthly Sheet as well as a Printable Blank Monthly Sheet.

CC

Hi irishblue,

It's a good idea to start keeping notes on paper at this point -- what dose you're taking, what symptoms you're having, etc. There is a great Antidepressant withdrawal symptom checklist at Dr. Glenmullen's site: http://drglenmullen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AS-Appendix-1.pdf. 

In answer to your question about whether your timeline is typical: I'd say for going cold-turkey, your recovery is amazing. 

You said in your last post that the symptoms seemed to have peaked -- but then you had a really bad weekend. How has it been today?

Don't judge yourself too harshly (easier said than done!!!) for reinstating. AD withdrawal has been compared to heroin withdrawal. It can be absolute hell. It's your choice, but going up and then slooooowly coming off could be a good option.

I'll try to continue following this thread but feel free to message me if you'd like.

Thanks skyblue, I may take you up on that message later on.

Im ok today as of right now, was awful this morning following a really poor nights sleep, but would you believe I started a new job on monday after 6 months off following redundancy. Was with my last and only employer over 10 years. So I really think that wasnt helping also, and only made my decision to go cold turkey an even worse idea.

​Im hoping now that Im 7 days on the 25mg sertraline thats its starting to level off a bit. Im exhausted but then getting back used to 7am mornings probably has a part to play in that.

Im gonna remain at that dose for at least 1 month and then perhaps look to start the 10% taper thats recommended here.

My only issue is getting the doses right with the pills, Im not sure I will be able to get liquid sertraline/

Anyway, thanks for the reply, they are all appreciated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi IrishBlue,

Good to hear that you have started a new job.  I understand how tough it is getting back into the routine of early mornings.  Just be patient and take care of yourself and accept that you will be tired for a little bit but you'll soon be back into the swing of things.

With regards to when you start to taper.  To give your brain time to catch up please consider that you may need to hold at 25 mg for a while, possibly several months or more.  You've just gone cold turkey and then reinstated at 50% of what you were on.  Patience and acceptance are a big part of the healing process as it means you are not stressing over tapering.  You will need to listen to your body and as SkyBlue suggested keep notes of your symptoms.

Hi IrishBlue,

Good to hear that you have started a new job.  I understand how tough it is getting back into the routine of early mornings.  Just be patient and take care of yourself and accept that you will be tired for a little bit but you'll soon be back into the swing of things.

With regards to when you start to taper.  To give your brain time to catch up please consider that you may need to hold at 25 mg for a while, possibly several months or more.  You've just gone cold turkey and then reinstated at 50% of what you were on.  Patience and acceptance are a big part of the healing process as it means you are not stressing over tapering.  You will need to listen to your body and as SkyBlue suggested keep notes of your symptoms.

All good stuff there CC, I think you are right, a longer period on 25 is probably a good plan to follow.

​I will keep updating here, its a good way of keeping track of things as well.

Thanks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Whoa! I just read this -- you are starting a new job, too? 

You are like doing the Olympics here -- that is amazing. 

Rest whenever you can! ! ! ! ! ! Let us know how everything is going. 

Whoa! I just read this -- you are starting a new job, too? 

You are like doing the Olympics here -- that is amazing. 

Rest whenever you can! ! ! ! ! ! Let us know how everything is going. 

Yep, started yesterday. Its a nice environment so that helps, along with the fact a long time friend and colleague is working there, that was a massive plus.

Ive always been a very anxious person, right from childhood. Had terrible nightmares around 7-10 years of age, having to be taken to the doctors over them. Massive irrational fears fo death in my early teens.

In my early to mid twenties I went thru a very severe phase of health anxiety which was the catalyst for going on AD's in the first place in 2005.

Exercise and settling at work helped me kick them in 2008, and for 5 years I was away from them. During that 5 years I had another very bad episode of health anxiiety which nearly drove me to a breakdown, but it was short and I addressed it head on and was able to recover without the need for more meds.

But it struck again around december 2013, another irrational fear, this time of MS, and I had to go back to the meds, this time sertraline. I do believe that I may have actually been ill, possibly a virus or something related to the terrible back problems I was having at the time, but it was not MS. I say this because I was actually sick with many symptoms, and I find it hard to believe that anxiety alone, however bad, could have caused the state I was in.

But I became obsessed with the idea of MS, as I had before with HIV and cancer.

Again, I got healthy and the meds worked. But I know now that remaining on the for 2 years was far too long. I was certainly better last summer, having completed 3 massive cycles, 2 in ireland and 1 in Italy, and should have got off them then.

​I know now that winter gets to me, as it does to many.

I am very much a person that has a healthy mind if I have a healthy body to aid it.

This winter Ive got back cycling early, being off work allowed me to do that. I felt with that and having my girlfriend of 10 months to support me, I could manage to get off the tablets cold turkey. I really felt in a good place to give it a go, feeling far better this winter than the 2 previous.

But it clearly was a mistake and the last 2 weeks or so have proved that. It doesnt matter how good I was feeling, how healthy I was or how good my life was, the chemical and medical reality is that you simply cant quit these things cold turkey, unless perhaps youve been on them a very short period of time.

So I need to approach it differently and show patience.

And that started on the 17/02 :mellow:

Thanks for the mail by the way skyblue, I will personally reply tomoro.

Take care.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi IrishBlue,

Glad to hear that working again seems to be going well for you.  Also very pleased to hear that you understand what these drugs do and that you realise the necessity of being patient.  It might be a good idea to find a therapist for your issues because the antidepressants numb you and the issues are very likely to recur.  Saying that, please be aware of neuro emotions because these could "attack" you in that area whilst you are tapering.

Here's a link to Light Boxes on SA.  It might be worth looking into one.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Still taking 25mg a day, havent missed a day since going back on this dose. Thats 4 weeks tomoro.

Its been up and down really.

It was a tough weekend, my girlfriends dog took ill last week, and we spent the weekend nursing him, he was in a bad way and we werent sure he would pull thru.

Its been very hard on her, its a long story but she is enormously close to him, more than any pet owner I've ever know. I love him to bits too

​I found it hard to see him like that and Saturday was a long day, I wasnt feeling all that well and was very down. It didnt really lift Sunday. Yesterday wasnt great at all, woke very, very nervous and had a number of mild panic attacks all thru the morning, tho it eased later in the day. After waking in a anxious state this morning I thought here we go again, but today has been ok.

I do think being back at work (this is the start of my 4th week after over 6 months out) is still playing a role. Im not that busy there and am unsure of myself really. Ive never enjoyed that feeling.

With the weekend and yesterday being bad days for me its been a bit of a setback, as early to mid last week I was starting to feel I'd turned a corner somewhat.

But hopefully just a minor setback. One thing I need to do is get back to regular exercise, Ive really been neglecting it. Finding Im just too tired with the new job and getting used to early mornings again.

Anyway thats how things are right now. Overall things are better since I returned to the medication and since I started to post here.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Irish Blue,

Really good to hear from you.  Thank you for letting us know how you are going.  Considering the outside circumstances, it sounds like you are coping really well.  Just remember it's The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi IrishBlue,

A new job is a BIG deal, esp. during withdrawal.

I'm sure you'll get back to your exercising as soon as you're able. 

It sounds like you were feeling like you were turning the corner, then had some bad days last weekend. 

That is so frustrating! ! ! ! 

Dr. Healy's site talks about how withdrawal symptoms come and go and that this can be very disheartening for

people. I know it's true for me. 

Here is what he has to say: https://seroxatsecrets.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/healy_withdrawal_june_09.pdf

• Moderator Emeritus

Healy says, "Any difficulties present may wax and wane and this can be demoralizing."