Khaosx: fast tapered seroquel not doing well

Khaosx

I was put on seroquel in oct 2015 at 25 mg. Monthly it was titration up,to 250. A month ago I discussed coming off this with my psych, I need to get off all these drugs, in 5 months I've put on 55 pounds, my sugar is up, my heart ismracing, my agoraphobia is worse, etc. She said to taper fifty mg a week since I hadn't been on it that long. Now my anxiety during the day is sooo bad I'm at the last 25 mg (I cut the last 50 in half) I'm scared to stop. I also am prescribed klonopin 3 times a day which I've always tried to keep to,less than 1mg cause I want to quit that next and also 50mg a day for Topomax.

In the middle of the night I'm waking in a drenched sweat (I don't know if it's panic or menopause, ha) terrified to go back to sleep, so now I've started taking more Klonopin, I'm sometimes taking 2 or the whole 3 mg. I'm a hot mess.

Should I just call it a day a stop the last 25 mg of seroquel and try to heal from that and move on? Please help I think I'm going crazy and I want off all the drugs eventually.

Khaosx

Oct 2015

Seroquel 250mg reduced 50mg week now at 25

3-5 200mg seroquel

3-12 150 mg seroquel

3-19. 100 mg seroquel

3-26 50 mg seroquel

4-4 25 mg seroquel

And holding horrid anxiety around 2am, not getting much sleep

April 2015

Topomax 50mg

2003b

Klonopin 3mg daily prn

Welcome to SA khaosx,

We don't recommend just jumping off, things will just get worse for you, we r commend 10% cuts for tapering down, how have you been tapering your seroquel? If you could fill in your drug signature with all current drugs doses and dates it will help the mods to get a better understanding and be able to help you better. For now stay on your current dose and a mod will chime in shortly. Again welcome you have found a great forum that will be able to give help and amazing advice. Hang in there!! Ali p.s YOUR NOT GOING CRAZY

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

Udate- stable and holding, doing things slowly is key.

I think my signature does have current drug doses and dates, is it the wrong format?

I had to taper for medical reasons, ten months wasn't feasible, I had inverted T WAVES (on my ekg) a heart arrhythmia they believed was being caused by the seroquel, including also metabolic syndrome (pre diabetic, and my sugars were climbing faster and faster).

I did a 5 week taper at 50mgs a week, this is week 6 but I am taking 25 as the withdrawals seemed to be horrendous.

My psych don't want think this is an issue at all since I haven't been on them that long and I'm making it up! I really need to be down to nothing when I go to the cardiologist again Friday or everyone is gonna be unhappy. Ugh.

Oct 2015

3-5 200mg seroquel

3-12 150 mg seroquel

3-19. 100 mg seroquel

3-26 50 mg seroquel

4-4 25 mg seroquel

April 2015

Topomax 50mg

2003b

Klonopin 3mg daily prn

If you go in under profile to right under your name, hit edit and you can put your drug signature in ☺ your body is in shock from the amount you have decreased, I'm sorry to here of your t waves, did that start while on meds? Did it start when you started dropping your dose? Your psych is an idiot, but doesn't surprise me he doesn't think this is happening to you, it's not uncommon for them at all, mines an idiot too. But it very much so is happening and we are definitely NOT making it up. If you have too come off due to medical reasons, then I guess you have too. I'm not a medical doctor so I can't advise ???? when you do come off you may have a long road ahead of you with withdrawl, have a read through self care and prepare yourself so you can deal with withdrawl the best way possible. I wish there was an easy fix to stop it all, but you will heal in time. Take care and good luck!!!

10 years citalopram 30mg- tapered down in December 15/2015- Jan 15/2016 to 20mg for two weeks, ten for one week and five for another week, then stopped, less then two weeks later, sheer hell broke lose with debilitating withdrawal symptoms.

Update-- reinstated 5mg of celexa on feb 5-- within hours noticed immediate difference in WD symptoms-- Holding holding and more holding.

Updose- March 23/16 too 10mg- relieved the harsher head symptoms- current symptoms headaches, dizzy, numbness and tingling in my head.

Benzos- 2015-Ativan on and off for 6 months 2mg- switched to clonazepam nov 2015- 2mg till Jan 2016 Zopiclone 7.5mg nov-dec 2015- was tapered off over 4weeks- Currently in protracted withdrawal. ????????????????????????????????

Update- ended up in the hospital April 18/16 major suicidal ( never had that before) was admitted/ been there ever since, put me back to full dose celexa 30mg no drugs added, IAM FINALLY STABLE AFTER 3 months of tortuous hell. Got a great physiatrist that new all about WD, he will help me taper properly in a couple of months at 5% deductions holding 8 weeks. I never want to relive that hell again.

The t waves started about the same time I hit 250mgs, I started complaining of my heart beating weird and feeling weird sensations, that was RIGHT after the dose increase from 200 to 250 so I guess I can't really say I was ever on 250 more than like 2 days. I had the Ekg done at my family dr because when I called her (my psych) she said it was nothing to worry about, a fast heart rate was a side effect and 120 wasn't bad. Except that's not what I was saying! (Well that,too- but I felt like it wasn't beating "right").

I'm looking for another psych but that doesn't do a lot for me now but I really have zero faith in her. The cardiologist said it's quite common for some of those atypical anti psychotics to cause those arrhythmias and all kinds of weird heart stuff and they usually go away once you're off. I sure hope so. My psych said she's never heard of that. (OMG-I think I'm going with the cardiologist,sorry)!

Now I not only have my usual anxiety, and probably anxiety from the fast taper, but anxiety that I've permantly damaged my heart or that now I'm gonna have a heartbattack! So it's hard for me to tell what is withdrawall, what is my regular anxiety, and what is just sheer panic over the whole seroquel ordeal. Thank you for your time and answers!

Oct 2015

3-5 200mg seroquel

3-12 150 mg seroquel

3-19. 100 mg seroquel

3-26 50 mg seroquel

4-4 25 mg seroquel

April 2015

Topomax 50mg

2003b

Klonopin 3mg daily prn

I understand how you feel, I'm going through heart palps, caused by withdrawl from my ad and benzo withdrawl, it's scary, but these drugs have the potential to make your heart feel like it's doing weird things, I've gone for the blood work and ecg and everything was fine, so I chalk mine up to meds. Increased anxiety and insomnia are all part of this hell as well, once stable it all starts to calm and resolve itself, it just takes time, which myself have no patience for, but I'm learning to just go with the flow and try not to focus so much on the symptoms, the fear of them makes it worse, I've learnt that much lol. I don't think you have permanently damaged your heart, nor do I think you will have a heart attack, I have felt the same way at times, your system is just not stable from the fast taper, increase and deacrease of does mess things up, your brain telling you its had enough basically. So have you noticed a difference in your heart since being at a lower dose? If you have seen improvement then you know what's causing it. You need to stabilize, your body needs the time to adjust to everything that has happened, it will in time,it's a slow process, but you will get there!! Ali

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Khaox , welcome to the site.

" The cardiologist said it's quite common for some of those atypical anti psychotics to cause those arrhythmias and all kinds of weird heart stuff and they usually go away once you're off. "

This is true , many members here have experienced that sort of thing.

They also decrease if you drop your dose , but you've tapered down much faster than is usually safe.

Please read the following links , and come back with questions.

"Why Taper" http://survivinganti...-concentration/

" Why taper by 10% of my dosage?" http://survivinganti...0-of-my-dosage/

"Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist" http://survivinganti...ptom-checklist/

"About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms " http://survivinganti...rawal-symptoms/

"Diagnosis of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome " http://survivinganti...rawal-syndrome/

We would usually suggest going back up to a dose of seroquel you were stable at to allow your brain to recover.

After that , you could begin to taper off slowly.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Ok I did find another psych recommended by my gp. He is also of the 10% mindset. I am still on two drugs that have potential for seizures and this psych even heard of the term micro taper. He thinks I should hold the 25mg of seroquel till morning when I see the cardiologist and see what the outcome of that is before I reinstate or updose anything. I guess that makes sense. That being said, call him and we can go from there but for whatever reason the last two nights I have gotten some serious sleep, maybe too much. Today I had a headache all day but I'm also not allowed any caffeine for 24 hours before the cardio appt at 8 am.

No matter the outcome of any of this I think I am giving my receptors some time to recover before I start another taper at all!

Is there a usual recommended time between drugs?

Oct 2015

3-5 200mg seroquel

3-12 150 mg seroquel

3-19. 100 mg seroquel

3-26 50 mg seroquel

4-4 25 mg seroquel

April 2015

Topomax 50mg

2003b

Klonopin 3mg daily prn

One drug at a time, hold 4-6 weeks on each drop, gives your brain time to adjust, once your sucessful coming off one, then you can start the next one. Do not do both at the same time, your body will not handle it well at all. Ali

Ali you have been a life saver. Thank you for your patience. I don't know where else to find help.

I have to take a beta blocker now, I am bawling and scared. I didn't want MORE drugs but I guess I can't run around with an electrical disturbance in my heart and and bp that's 200/110. I also have a torn rotator cuff and they won't fix it till the bp is controlled so on top of everything else I get to add yet another drug I am so fearful of.

It is what it is, we do the best we can and go on I guess. Now I see the ortho surgeon Monday if I'm still alive.

I think my receptors and my body might need more than four or six weeks before I assault it again.

Oct 2015

3-5 200mg seroquel

3-12 150 mg seroquel

3-19. 100 mg seroquel

3-26 50 mg seroquel

4-4 25 mg seroquel

April 2015

Topomax 50mg

2003b

Klonopin 3mg daily prn

Take all the time you need between cuts, listen to your body, it will let you know if your moving too fast. If you need something for your heart, then you need something, it's ok, it's your health. Maybe even consider a micro taper, 5% cuts and hold 4-6 weeks. There is no rush, slow and steady to prevent withdrawl.you will be alive to see your surgeon ???? PROMISE. When the time comes and you don't need the beta blocker anymore that will have to be tapered as well. For now take care of you and your health, add the beta blocker to your drug signature with the dose, so we can keep track ☺☺ take care YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS. Sending you healing prayers. Ali

• Moderator Emeritus

Try not to panic Khaosx. Has your sleep continued to improve the last few nights?

As Ali said , there's no rush here. You've tapered seroquel extremely fast in the past 4 months ,

and it will likely take a good 3 months to recover. You should continue to improve during that time.

Please could you add the new beta-blocker to your signature , and check for interactions with your

other meds at www.drugs.com. If there are any interactions copy and paste them here.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg