Delayed gastric emptying or slow digestion (gastroparesis)

O2bhappy

Did the slowed gastric emptying (Gastroparesis) improve or resolve for anyone? 

Antidepressant history

2006 - 2012 Paxil (20 mg)

2012 - 2017 Paxil (10mg)

2017 May - November 10mg --> 5mg --> 4mg --> 3mg --> 2mg --> 1mg --> 0mg 

2018 February reinstated Paxil (20 mg)

2021 August 10mg --> 5mg --> 10mg ( severe Insomnia after 3 weeks) back to 10mg

Other illnesses: Novemer 2021 Covid 19 (Long Covid since then)

Symptoms: Insomnia, heart palpitations, tachycardia , low lood pressure

Supplements: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Magnesium Bisglycinat, Omega 3, melatonin 0,5 mg

@Ciro

I had slow gastric emptying for about two months near the beginning of my taper - I could only eat a few bites of food at each meal and it felt like it just sat there with a full feeling. Mine went away completely and I have no stomach issues now.

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

@Ciro

Although the gastroparesis has not gone away, the windows of feeling better have gotten bigger over time. Before, I constantly had this horrible abdominal pain and I couldn't eat at all. Now I'm able to eat a little bit with minimal pain as long as I'm careful with what I eat. If you are still struggling with digestive issues, I'd recommend trying the gastroparesis diet. Avoid foods high in fiber and fat because it's harder to digest.

-Paxil for seven years (gradually increased to 40mg over time)

-Celexa for three months (10mg upped to 20mg) — started 3/16/23, increased 3/30/23

-Digestive Issues — started 4/9/23

-Cymbalta for a week (20mg) —6/27/23

-Reinstated Paxil (5mg) — started 7/3/23

-Diagnosed with gastroparesis — 7/27/23

-Other current medications: Pantoprazole 40mg, Sprintec, Vitamin D3, Paxil 5mg

1 hour ago, MedRN said:

@Ciro

I had slow gastric emptying for about two months near the beginning of my taper - I could only eat a few bites of food at each meal and it felt like it just sat there with a full feeling. Mine went away completely and I have no stomach issues now.

Thanks for your reply! I guess you were really lucky that it resolved so quickly. I hope mine also goes away. 

Antidepressant history

2012 - 2017 Paxil (10mg)

Supplements: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Magnesium Bisglycinat, Omega 3, melatonin 0,5 mg

27 minutes ago, SSRIHelp said:

@Ciro

Although the gastroparesis has not gone away, the windows of feeling better have gotten bigger over time. Before, I constantly had this horrible abdominal pain and I couldn't eat at all. Now I'm able to eat a little bit with minimal pain as long as I'm careful with what I eat. If you are still struggling with digestive issues, I'd recommend trying the gastroparesis diet. Avoid foods high in fiber and fat because it's harder to digest.

How long have you had the Gastroparesis symptoms? I’m glad to hear that you have improved. I guess for some people it just takes a long time. I’m just worried that the Gastroparesis is gonna be permanent. I’ll try the Gastroparesis diet. 

Antidepressant history

2012 - 2017 Paxil (10mg)

@Ciro

The symptoms started about five to six months ago, although at the time I was misdiagnosed with GERD so I wasn't doing the right things to help the problem. I got officially diagnosed with gastroparesis about a month ago. The symptoms started after I cold turkeyed from Paxil after years of being on it which is likely why it's taken me a bit of time to get this far. However, I have hope that I can recover from this. Another user on this site recovered after three years, and others have had some success with reinstatement. 

-Celexa for three months (10mg upped to 20mg) — started 3/16/23, increased 3/30/23

@SSRIHelp I’ll try the Gastroparesis diet and see if that helps since I can’t afford to lose more weight. I guess we can only hope at this point. It’s always encouraging to hear when someone recovered. 

Antidepressant history

2012 - 2017 Paxil (10mg)

48 minutes ago, Ciro said:

Thanks for your reply! I guess you were really lucky that it resolved so quickly. I hope mine also goes away. 

@Ciro yes, I guess you could say I was lucky. I dealt with a myriad of other GI symptoms during my taper, so this was more of a blip for me.

Vegetable broths, fresh pressed juices (watch the sugar), blended vegetable soups, simple protein powders like hemp or collagen peptides, applesauce, yogurt are a few ideas for easy to digest sources of nutrients/vitamins/minerals. Bone broth would be good too, but you'll have to see how you tolerate the fat in it. I would try to stay away from the ready-made drinks if you can since they're filled with a lot of crappy oils and ingredients that you can't pronounce.  Also, I'm sure your doctor will try to recommend medications to "improve" gastric-emptying, but I personally avoided these. It will definitely improve, try not to fear that.

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

@MedRN Thanks for the food tips. I’ll try some blended food and hope my stomach can digest it better. I’m also gonna try some Betaine HCL which was suggested by others. I have been eating Whole foods for the last 2 years already so I’m already used to cooking a lot. I don’t have a doctor right now because I just moved from Germany to USA, but I do want to get a gastric emptying study eventually. 

Antidepressant history

2012 - 2017 Paxil (10mg)

@Ciro yes, the betaine Hcl should help too. I used these, started slow and worked up to using for all my main meals. I would also drink lemon water first thing in the morning to get digestion going. My naturopath recommended castor oil packs to the abdomen as well. I’m glad you’re used to eating a whole foods diet already, that will make it easier in the long run. 

Sounds like you’re doing all the right things!

@MedRN I’ve read about Castor oil packs helping other people. Thanks for mentioning it, since I forgot about it. Sometimes I don’t know which supplement to try first. I’ll also try the lemon water. 

Antidepressant history

2012 - 2017 Paxil (10mg)

On 22.09.2023 at 18:37, SSRIHelp said:

@Ciro

Objawy zaczęły się około pięciu do sześciu miesięcy temu, chociaż wówczas błędnie zdiagnozowano u mnie GERD, więc nie robiłem właściwych rzeczy, aby pomóc temu problemowi. Około miesiąc temu oficjalnie zdiagnozowano u mnie gastroparezę. Objawy zaczęły się po tym, jak po latach zażywania Paxilu przełknęłam przeziębienie i prawdopodobnie dlatego dotarcie tak daleko zajęło mi trochę czasu. Mam jednak nadzieję, że uda mi się z tego wyjść. Inny użytkownik tej witryny wyzdrowiał po trzech latach, a innym udało się przywrócić dostęp do konta. 

This is a recent issue, 6 months ago, just like in my case. 
I don't have any official diagnosis yet. Can you tell   what the gastroparesis test was?
Was the calprotectin test helpful?

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

@modelarz71

I am not sure if the calprotectin test can diagnose gastroparesis because it studies how much inflammation is in the intestines. The test I had measures how quickly the stomach digests food and it is called the gastric emptying test. The doctor had me eat eggs and toast with a tracer in it and then took photos every hour for four hours. There should only be 10% of the eggs and toast remaining in the stomach by four hours. There was 27% of the food remaining in my stomach after four hours. 

Gastroparesis is usually caused by nerve damage from uncontrolled diabetes, a nerve injury from surgery, or a viral infection. It can also be caused by median articulate ligament syndrome (MALS) which means blood flow is cut off from the stomach. I do not have diabetes, I have had no surgeries, and I tested negative for MALS. This is why I think my gastroparesis was a result of the anxiety medication.

Thank you for your answer. I would feel good (there is of course old depression) if it weren't for this gastro. I eat a little and I can't eat anymore. I am filled. Sometimes pain which is modarate.

I see that restoring AD did not help your gastrointestinal problems. Or maybe you have to wait?

I don't know if I want to do these tests because what will it help me if You are still suffering despite the diagnosis

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

23 hours ago, Ciro said:

@MedRN Czytałam o okładach z oleju rycynowego pomagających innym ludziom. Dziękuję, że o tym wspomniałeś, bo o tym zapomniałem. Czasami nie wiem, który suplement wypróbować jako pierwszy. Spróbuję też wody z cytryną. 

The psyllium seed husk supplement helps a little with my pain. There is also a question about the regularity of visits to the toilet (sorry)
Then, after an hour, I have a stomach ache (moderate), how is it with You with that problem?

WD

Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

November 2023 - 0mg

1 hour ago, modelarz71 said:

Thank you for your answer. I would feel good (there is of course old depression) if it weren't for this gastro. I eat a little and I can't eat anymore. I am filled. Sometimes pain which is modarate.

I see that restoring AD did not help your gastrointestinal problems. Or maybe you have to wait?

I don't know if I want to do these tests because what will it help me if You are still suffering despite the diagnosis

I would be okay if I did not have these stomach problems too. Restoring the antidepressant helped with the abdominal pain but I still suffer with naseau and I have to be careful with what I eat. There are medications and surgeries that can be done to try to help with the gastroparesis but I am waiting to see if I can improve on my own. If you are not able to maintain your weight, the doctors might suggest a feeding tube or pacemaker. They might also suggest motility medications such as Reglan and laxatives such as Linzess. These stomach problems are awful and I hope you are able to find some relief. If I find something that helps with the symptoms I will let you know.

I was doing good  till 3 weeks ago. I'm verynauscious and heartburn.  I'm seeing a gastric dr. In Thursday 

My breakfast: 2 organic eggs

1/3 cup of zuchinni, nopales

2 hrs later: 1 red organic apple

Lunch: seemed or chicken soup with only Himalayan salt. Romaine lettuce 1/2 cup carrots 

2 hrs later pear 

Dinner 1/3 cup of organic oatmeal 

1/3 cup of sweet potaoe 

I take organic acid rescue tablets after eating 

1 oz of homemade aloe vera water

10 min later 1tsp of baking soda in 8 0z of water

3x a day 

I have alot anxiety and nausea 

Do apples pears make it worse because of the fructose 

Gaps diet says no and low food map diet say it does . 

The E. R prescribed me protonix ppi)need  and nause medication 

I need relief asap

I'm going to take 25 mg of magnesium glycinate 4x a day 

I've been sweating and lots of anxuety, depression. Day and night

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

1 hour ago, GGGG said:

I was doing good  till 3 weeks ago. I'm verynauscious and heartburn.  I'm seeing a gastric dr. In Thursday 

My breakfast: 2 organic eggs

1/3 cup of zuchinni, nopales

2 hrs later: 1 red organic apple

Lunch: seemed or chicken soup with only Himalayan salt. Romaine lettuce 1/2 cup carrots 

2 hrs later pear 

Dinner 1/3 cup of organic oatmeal 

1/3 cup of sweet potaoe 

I take organic acid rescue tablets after eating 

1 oz of homemade aloe vera water

10 min later 1tsp of baking soda in 8 0z of water

3x a day 

I have alot anxiety and nausea 

Do apples pears make it worse because of the fructose 

Gaps diet says no and low food map diet say it does . 

The E. R prescribed me protonix ppi)need  and nause medication 

I need relief asap

I'm going to take 25 mg of magnesium glycinate 4x a day 

I've been sweating and lots of anxuety, depression. Day and night

I also struggle with naseau and reflux. I have gastroparesis so I avoid high fiber, high fat, and anything thats super greasy. Oatmeal, raw vegetables, fruit skin, and seeds are high in fiber so I avoid them. I seem to do okay with smoothies though or cooked vegetables that are soft.

I was prescribed pantoprazole which is a PPI for the acid and heartburn, however, I still struggle with naseau since it comes from the undigested food in my stomach. I was told to try Zofran for this and also ginger candy.

I hope you are able to find some relief from this.

53 minutes ago, SSRIHelp said:

I also struggle with naseau and reflux. I have gastroparesis so I avoid high fiber, high fat, and anything thats super greasy. Oatmeal, raw vegetables, fruit skin, and seeds are high in fiber so I avoid them. I seem to do okay with smoothies though or cooked vegetables that are soft.

I was prescribed pantoprazole which is a PPI for the acid and heartburn, however, I still struggle with naseau since it comes from the undigested food in my stomach. I was told to try Zofran for this and also ginger candy.

I hope you are able to find some relief from this.

What do you eat for dinner?

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 9:37 AM, SSRIHelp said:

@Ciro

The symptoms started about five to six months ago, although at the time I was misdiagnosed with GERD so I wasn't doing the right things to help the problem. I got officially diagnosed with gastroparesis about a month ago. The symptoms started after I cold turkeyed from Paxil after years of being on it which is likely why it's taken me a bit of time to get this far. However, I have hope that I can recover from this. Another user on this site recovered after three years, and others have had some success with reinstatement. 

How long were you on antidepresssants. You ct?

@GGGG I had taken antidepressants for about seven years (which was the Paxil). I cold turkeyed by directly going from Paxil to Celexa because I was told by my doctor that cross tapering wasn't necessary. Ever since then, my stomach has not been normal. I was put on antidepressants when I was still pretty young so I think my body had become dependent on these medications as I was still growing. In hindsight, I should have realized that cold turkeying was a bad idea, and I wish I was better informed of the withdrawal and effects that occur with these medications.

The symptoms, however, have improved since they first started. I am starting to show larger windows of feeling better. For example, all last week my stomach felt pretty okay and I was able to eat larger meals. Today, however, my stomach hurts even though I have eaten very little. I'm not sure if I'll ever be completely rid of the gastroparesis but I am finding ways to manage it. What I eat is largely dependent on the severity of symptoms. If I'm feeling too bad, I stick to soft foods such as soups, smoothies, yogurt, and protein shakes such as Ensure or Boost. If I'm feeling a bit better, I'll eat more solid foods that aren't too high in fat and grease such as chicken or pasta. 

16 minutes ago, SSRIHelp said:

@GGGG I had taken antidepressants for about seven years (which was the Paxil). I cold turkeyed by directly going from Paxil to Celexa because I was told by my doctor that cross tapering wasn't necessary. Ever since then, my stomach has not been normal. I was put on antidepressants when I was still pretty young so I think my body had become dependent on these medications as I was still growing. In hindsight, I should have realized that cold turkeying was a bad idea, and I wish I was better informed of the withdrawal and effects that occur with these medications.

The symptoms, however, have improved since they first started. I am starting to show larger windows of feeling better. For example, all last week my stomach felt pretty okay and I was able to eat larger meals. Today, however, my stomach hurts even though I have eaten very little. I'm not sure if I'll ever be completely rid of the gastroparesis but I am finding ways to manage it. What I eat is largely dependent on the severity of symptoms. If I'm feeling too bad, I stick to soft foods such as soups, smoothies, yogurt, and protein shakes such as Ensure or Boost. If I'm feeling a bit better, I'll eat more solid foods that aren't too high in fat and grease such as chicken or pasta. 

I tried eating apples and pears and I think it made my stomach worse. Avocadoes and grass fed beef made me a lil worse. Monday I have an appointment with the gastrointestinal Dr.  I've tried protein powder but the ingredients of the fruits dnt sit well with me. Hiw long have yiu been off the antidepressant?

37 minutes ago, SSRIHelp said:

Do you take any food enzymes? Probiotics, if you do when did you start takung them after stopping your antidepressant?

Generic lexapro only 6 months.

I have had stomach problems since June or July. When I stopped the first restoration after 3 weeks I experienced a strange overflow. Then I had symptoms of reflux and IBS.   At first, rebounding with acid, etc., which decreased. Now rapid satiety and stomach pains. I use an aloe vera (?) product which is supposed to protect the intestines from irritation but I don't know if it gives much. In addition, depression and insomnia , but I sleep a little. I am afraid of all these symptoms which increases my anxiety. how can such remedies be given to people without warning.

WD

Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

November 2023 - 0mg

@GGGG

I try to avoid eating beef too much since it's harder to digest. I think chicken, turkey, and fish may be a little easier. In terms of fruits, I can tolerate them pretty well if they are blended into smoothies, but certain fruits I can't eat on their own like watermelons because it causes my stomach to hurt.

I have not tried probiotics or enzymes yet, but I was recommend the Renew Life brand of probiotics by my GI doctor. I might eventually give these things a try but since I've found some improvement on my own, I don't want to add anything else to my body right now.

I've lost track how long its been since I last took the antidepressant but I know it's been over five months.

7 minutes ago, SSRIHelp said:

@GGGG

I try to avoid eating beef too much since it's harder to digest. I think chicken, turkey, and fish may be a little easier. In terms of fruits, I can tolerate them pretty well if they are blended into smoothies, but certain fruits I can't eat on their own like watermelons because it causes my stomach to hurt.

I have not tried probiotics or enzymes yet, but I was recommend the Renew Life brand of probiotics by my GI doctor. I might eventually give these things a try but since I've found some improvement on my own, I don't want to add anything else to my body right now.

I've lost track how long its been since I last took the antidepressant but I know it's been over five months.

I took them for 20 years. Istopped them in 5 days.  I've been off them 3.3 years 

I started taking Betaine HCL recently and I think it’s helping a little. It makes me feel less full after meals. I’ll try one with Pepsin to see if it helps me with proteins since I struggle most with beef. Fish and chicken are definitely a better choice for us. I’m eventually also gonna try a prokinetic to help move food along. 

Antidepressant history

2012 - 2017 Paxil (10mg)

• 3 weeks later...

I had an endoscopy done yesterday and have gastritis and inflammation in the esophagus. I've had stomach issues for 3.4 years. Since I left the antidepressants. I'm going to try food enzymes or probiotics. Which one should I try first? 

On 11/7/2023 at 4:40 AM, GGGG said:

Which one should I try first? 

As I heard: more different species and more cumulative population units of microbes a probiotic has has, better it is. And it's good to be stored in refrigerator in the store and then at home. I took Bactoflor.

However, I have digestive problems, but probiotics DIDN'T helped me...

I didn't try enzymes, but it think that you have to be careful about the quantity of enzymes and that there are really different enzymes if you aim to speed up digestion in general, not just a few of them (for instance just lactase - this one is for lactose intolerance).

2009-2010: Asentra (50 mg)

2011: Cipralex (10 mg)

2009-2011: tried Zyprexa (5/2.5mg), Kventiax  (50/25mg) and Abilify (low dosage) (started refusing it - being zombie)

CT Cipralex, being free for several moths

2012-2016: Prozac (60 mg)

2016-2017: Alventa (75 mg)

2016: just tried Cymbalta and Ludiomil

2017-2018: Mirtazapine (30/45mg)

2012-2018: Wellbutrine (300 mg)

2014-2018: Lamotrigine (50/100/150 mg) CT Wellbutrin, tapering lamitrogine and mirtazapine too fast

Supplements: B12, D, Mg, trying B3, B1

I know I wrote a lot of nonsense here. I'm sorry, I feel shamed!

On 11/6/2023 at 8:40 PM, GGGG said:

Which one should I try first? 

If you're trying probiotics first, you should start low and build up CFU's over time. If you start too high right away, you risk making stomach issues worse. 5-10 billion CFU's is a good starting point, with both lactobacillus and bifidobacterium strains.

On 7.11.2023 at 04:40, GGGG said:

Wczoraj miałam robioną endoskopię i okazało się, że mam zapalenie błony śluzowej żołądka i przełyku. Problemy z żołądkiem mam od 3,4 roku. Odkąd odstawiłam leki przeciwdepresyjne. Mam zamiar spróbować enzymów spożywczych lub probiotyków. Którego powinienem spróbować najpierw? 

On 7.11.2023 at 04:40, GGGG said:

Wczoraj miałam robioną endoskopię i okazało się, że mam zapalenie błony śluzowej żołądka i przełyku. Problemy z żołądkiem mam od 3,4 roku. Odkąd odstawiłam leki przeciwdepresyjne. Mam zamiar spróbować enzymów spożywczych lub probiotyków. Którego powinienem spróbować najpierw? 

Do you think restoration would help you with the symptoms of gastroparesis , which was triggered by withdrawal? I have a similar problem but shorter duration and not 3 or 4 years like yours. What do you think caused it whether it was some kind of mechanical damage to the gut (celiac) or CNS damage or maybe a lack of receptors in the gut. I only got this when I restored and senselessly stopped after 3 weeks.

WD

Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

November 2023 - 0mg

• Mentor
On 11/6/2023 at 7:40 PM, GGGG said:

I'm going to try food enzymes or probiotics. Which one should I try first?

Are you wanting to keep data on how each one helps, is that why you just want to start one? I take both at the same time, they've been suuuuuuper helpful in recovery, but it might be good to see how each one affects you separately.

If you have unbalanced biome issues, both might have side effects. Sometimes starting probiotics can lead to (for example) yeast die off symptoms. The enzymes might release things into your system as they work on digesting things, so maybe probiotics first so the biome is healthier and can handle whatever the enzymes are working on? I am not a scientist, so if anyone has some more information I'd love to know too.

How did the endoscopy go? I always used to have a sore throat after one. Maybe some frozen yogurt, cause that also has probiotics, might be nice if your throat is unhappy? Hope you're feeling good!

Pronouns: they/them/theirs 

Started on Prozac in early 2000s to treat cPTSD, been on various cocktails ever since.

2002-2004, 2017-2022: Buspar, tapered down to 0

2016-present: 100mg Seroquel for sleep -> May 2023: 90mg -> June 2023: 81mg -> September 2023: 72mg -> switched to brand name, much too strong, down to 60mg -> October 2023: 54mg -> November 2023: 50mg -> January 2024: 45mg -> April 2024: 40.5mg

2016-Present: 100mg Wellbutrin SR -> January 2023: 75mg IR (37.5mg 2x a day) -> February 2023 (33.75mg 2x a day) -> July 2023 (30.37mg 2x a day) -> August 2023: 27.33mg 2x a day 

2018-present: 25mg Pristiq

2015-present: 600mg Gabapentin (200mg 3x a day) -> December 2022: 300mg Gabapentin (100mg 3x a day) per GP's recommendation after side effects -> March 2023: 90mg 3x a day (switched to liquid suspension) -> April 2023: 81mg 3x a day -> September 2023: bad generic, switched back to homemade liquid; too strong after bad generic, down to 70mg 3x a day, still bad. Adjusted slowly till at 60mg 3x a day, much better. Long hold till -> December 2023: 54mg, still feels too high after November Seroquel switch from brand name to generic, doc recommended 50mg which feels better -> January 2024: When Wellbutrin went down, Gabapentin started putting me to sleep, went down to 45mg, then 41mg to stay awake, so far so good -> February 2024: 36mg, still too high, 34mg -> March 2024: 31mg, STILL too high, 30mg

Supplements: Multivitamin w/magnesium, probiotics, digestive enzymes, anti-viral nitric oxide nose spray as needed

Can anyone have already guessed what is the cause of gastroparesis after WD. In my case, it wasn't even the 6 months of taking esci, it was abandonment after a 3 week reinstatement. For a month the feeling of overflow and then the rest came. I can't hide the fact that I have concerns about what is going to happen next, already so since May. 

WD

Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

November 2023 - 0mg

@LotusRising Why you think starting with high CFU's can cause stomach issues? Maybe by altering microbiome to the wrong direction, or what?

@GGGG Sorry, you were asking "which one". I understood wrong. I understood which type of probiotics and enzymes, but you asked if you have to start with first or the second one.

@modelarz71 You are asking what caused this issue. It's not mechanical damaged gut - I had colonoscopy and my gut was healthy, albeit I have all these issues. Shortly, I think it must be something with serotonin pathways. They are "broken", so gut is can't move properly. And maybe also, if you take benzodiazepines or antiepleptic drugs, they "play" with GABA receptors, this neurotransmitter is necessity for calming down whole neurosystem. They are "cleared" by body because of too much gabanergic activity and if you stop taking drug, then you are suddenly more in fight and fight mode and in this phase your gut is jerked. That's maybe why "benzo belly" came. I hope someone could check my thinking...

@modelarz71 You were taking just one drug for shorter period, so this can explain your better position.

2009-2010: Asentra (50 mg)

2011: Cipralex (10 mg)

2009-2011: tried Zyprexa (5/2.5mg), Kventiax  (50/25mg) and Abilify (low dosage) (started refusing it - being zombie)

CT Cipralex, being free for several moths

2012-2016: Prozac (60 mg)

2016-2017: Alventa (75 mg)

2016: just tried Cymbalta and Ludiomil

2017-2018: Mirtazapine (30/45mg)

2012-2018: Wellbutrine (300 mg)

2014-2018: Lamotrigine (50/100/150 mg) CT Wellbutrin, tapering lamitrogine and mirtazapine too fast

Supplements: B12, D, Mg, trying B3, B1

I know I wrote a lot of nonsense here. I'm sorry, I feel shamed!

@Prozack

The gut is a huge regulator of everything in our body. If you change things in your gut, you can expect that it might change things elsewhere. I don't think it's altering it in the wrong direction, just too quickly, if you start to high. IMO, it's always best to err on the side of caution when introducing anything new. Personally, I take both probiotics and digestive enzymes, but I worked on adding both in slowly and one at a time. I believe I actually started with kefir. 

6 hours ago, Prozack said:

@LotusRisingDlaczego uważasz, że rozpoczęcie od dużej ilości CFU może powodować problemy żołądkowe? Może zmieniając mikrobiom w złym kierunku, czy co?

@GGGGPrzepraszam, pytałeś „który”. Źle zrozumiałem. Rozumiem, jaki rodzaj probiotyków i enzymów, ale zapytałeś, czy musisz zacząć od pierwszego, czy drugiego.

@modelarz71Pytasz, co było przyczyną tego problemu. To nie jest mechaniczne uszkodzenie jelita – miałem kolonoskopię i moje jelita były zdrowe, chociaż mam te wszystkie problemy. Krótko mówiąc, myślę, że to musi być coś ze szlakami serotoninowymi. Są „zepsute”, przez co jelita nie mogą się prawidłowo poruszać. A może też, jeśli bierzesz benzodiazepiny lub leki przeciwpadaczkowe, „bawią się” one receptorami GABA, ten neuroprzekaźnik jest niezbędny do uspokojenia całego układu nerwowego. Są one „oczyszczane” przez organizm z powodu zbyt dużej aktywności gabanergicznej i jeśli przestaniesz brać lek, nagle znajdziesz się w trybie walki i walki i w tej fazie Twoje jelita zostaną szarpnięte. Być może dlatego pojawił się „benzo brzuch”. Mam nadzieję, że ktoś sprawdzi mój tok myślenia...

@modelarz71Brałeś tylko jeden lek przez krótszy okres, więc to może wyjaśniać twoją lepszą sytuację.

Indeed, it makes sense with these serotonin pathways. However, can the restoration that the site advises and the psychiatrist knows help the bowel work or will it not help,?

WD

Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

November 2023 - 0mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy