chrisihops -- Pristiq

chrisihops

• Administrator

Dizziness is a very common withdrawal symptom.

One of the frustrating things about recovery from withdrawal syndrome is that symptoms keep on changing. You might get through the nausea and then you're in a new phase, with other symptoms. They come and go and transmute into something else. Very gradually, you get more "windows" where you feel okay, and the symptoms fade.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Chrisi,

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time! There's something from your original post that I wonder about... you say you went on and off meds with no problems before, but that you started new drugs many times because of anxiety. Did you have anxiety to begin with, before you ever took meds?

I have also taken a variety of antidepressants over the years, and tried quitting several times, but then kept on going back, and it is only in the past few months that I started questioning if I needed to be on them in the first place. I mean... there certainly was a reason for me to take them, I'm very sensitive and prone to depression, but in the end I wonder if many of my symptoms eventually were due to the drugs themselves instead of my normal mood problems. I never had major problems getting off the drugs (like brain zaps and such... though I did have some irritability), my problems always seemed to start a few months after. Especially with anxiety. Also, I think the instability got worse over the years. It seems like some drugs are worse than others.

What you say about Pristiq is what I heard about Celexa as well... it seems like a lot of these drugs are just attempts by the companies to keep making money once an old drug goes generic. So scary!!

I do hope you find a way to effectively taper and rid yourself of all your symptoms!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Hi Nadia I thought I went off AD's with no symptoms, but I have realized that I in fact never connected the drugs with the WD.. Those WD symptoms were different though.. Not to this extreme.. I have dealt with anxiety since childhood. I have always felt relief from my anxiety while on the AD. and have come off of them because I felt like I could deal without them and it wasnt healthy for me. I am now tackling the reasons for my anxieties and trying to work thru them..which is no easy task. I tapered too quickly and this was the longest I was ever on a AD so i am sure thats why I am suffering still.

Thanks so much and best of luck to you

I have to say, anxiety is really tough! I mean, depression is awful as well, but I admire you for tackling your anxiety without drugs. Best of luck to you as well!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

chrisi, suggest when you see Dr Tarantolo you give him printouts of

Healy 2009 Halting SSRIs withdrawal guidelines

Dr. David Healy on prolonged antidepressant withdrawal syndrome (2009)

Clinicians share information about slow tapering

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Shelton 2006 Correspondence from Dr. Richard Shelton about prolonged withdrawal syndrome

He may not be aware of all this information and it will help him. (Also, please let him know this site exists.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

HI Alto, I was under the impression that Dr T was familiar & supportive with prolonged W/D? Did you know people who saw him or did you just hear that he had knowledge?

• Administrator

chrisi, we're on the frontier here. Dr. T may be familiar with Dr. Healy's writing but not that article, which I had to hunt on the Web to find.

Same with the other articles. As far as I know, this site has the best info on the subject anywhere. Part of our mission is to educate doctors.

Tapering needs to be tailored to the individual.

Very, very few doctors know anything about prolonged withdrawal syndrome. Dr. T may be aware of it.

He was recommended for tapering by ISEPP (International Society for Ethical Psychology & Psychiatry), along with Mark Foster in Colorado.

• Administrator

chrisi, how are you doing? How was your visit with Dr. T?

Hi alto, I just confirmed my appointment with him for this coming Saturday morning.. I am looking forward to it. My nausea came back but seems less consistent. I am a wreck with my anxiety though. worse than its been in some time. I just want to hide in my room and cry.

Ive also developed a Globus Sensation in my throat aka Globus Hysteria.. The feeling that I have a lump in my throat and fullness in my ear. its just annoying but definetly triggered by my stress.

Thanks for checking up on me and I will let you know the details of my visit with Dr T when I get back in town Monday.

Thanks for checking on me

C

Chrisi,

Thank you for sharing the literature w/Dr. T. That's more than I've been able to do yet (except in my home and that's not going so well :wacko: )

I met Dr. T's associate, Jake Johnson, PsyD (or Doctorate of Ed), at ISEPP. Very calm, positive energy, warm demeaner. Not certain if they share an office, but he struck me as someone who would be understanding and supportive.

Hi alto, I just confirmed my appointment with him for this coming Saturday morning.. I am looking forward to it. My nausea came back but seems less consistent. I am a wreck with my anxiety though. worse than its been in some time. I just want to hide in my room and cry.

Ive also developed a Globus Sensation in my throat aka Globus Hysteria.. The feeling that I have a lump in my throat and fullness in my ear. its just annoying but definetly triggered by my stress.

Thanks for checking up on me and I will let you know the details of my visit with Dr T when I get back in town Monday.

Thanks for checking on me

C

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

chrisi, how are you doing?

• 4 months later...

Ive been managing ok until now. Thats why I really havent checked in & only now saw your post. I have been hit pretty hard with a "wave of symptoms" Until now my nausea and aches have been tolerable but this time its a whole different game. Ive recently had some pretty upsetting family news regarding a close member & I believe it triggered an episode if you will.. The timeing was all too coincidental.. (is that possibly related to a wave of symptoms recurring?)

I have been extremely stressed and now am feeling terrible. The aches and pains in my legs and arms are awful. I am downing Advil like candies. The nausea is manageable at this time. Its been worse in recent months but hasnt lasted more than a week. My hip is hurting again too & that hasnt bothered me since January. Its almost 15 months since I stopped (too suddenly) with Pristiq. I was beginning to believe that this was all behind me. I am also extremely anxious. I just came back from a much needed family vacation and had to escape to my room on several occassions to cry secretly.

UGHHHH

Suggestions for help with these awful muscle aches are appreciated

• Administrator

Yes, being in stressful situations can trigger a wave of withdrawal-like symptoms.

Epsom salts baths contain magnesium and are good for body pain. They're also calming.

Chrisi,

Im glad to hear you were doing well. I'm on a similar timeline as you post-Pristiq, so your message gives me hope.

Im so sorry to hear youre suffering a setback. My stress tolerance is EXTREMELY low since tapering. The smallest things tweak my thinking to a negative place and I have no "bounceback". I understand how a family incident could incapacitate. I have alot of endocrine issues going on, so dont want to generalized my issues to others. I do think that these drugs, serotonin in particular, severely disrupt the stress/cortisol response, as we know from the common early morning cortisol awakenings. I was extremely deficient in estrogen and am on estrogen patches. Ive been amazed at how that helps with musculoskeletal pain. I just mentioned it to my endocrinologist and he adamantly agreed. Again, I dont want to suggest this as a remedy for everyone, but only put the possibility out there.

I hope you feel better soon.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

chrisi, please try non-drug options first.

We should all minimize pharmaceuticals as much as possible. All of them, including hormones, incur their own health risks. Estrogen supplementation is highly controversial.

(Barb, you're in a special situation where perhaps assuming the risks of medication or hormones makes sense. This will not apply to many people who are in good health.)

• 6 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

For anyone reading this topic, I have been tapering Pristiq using compounded capsules with slow release formula.

tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management