sunnygirl12: failed withdrawal from Remeron ... insomnia bad after reinstating?

sunnygirl12

Hi Sunnygirl:

How are you doing?  How's your taper going?  Last I read, you were holding at 2.8 mg.  Are you still having insomnia? 

I have been on 3.75 mg. remeron for 5.5 years.  Tried 4-5 tapers unsuccessfully.  Tonite, I hope to take the 1/4 tablet of 15 mg. tablet and switch over to the same 3.75 mg. dose with the dissolvable SolTabs.  I will hold for 6 weeks to make sure the crossover is successful.  Then begin a slow taper from there. 

Insomnia is the biggest bugger to getting off ... if only we knew before starting it.

Best regards,

Shebon:o

Started 3.75 mg. remeron 4/2013.  Had tapered off benzo 4/2011.  Had tapered down to 1.87 mg remeron but mistakenly thought I was in bad withdrawals, when it was Synthroid again.  Stopped  Synthroid 3/31/3021-side effects are the same as hyperthyroid symptoms, but doctors have no knowledge of this side effect.  Started taper end of 7/2021, now at 3.48 mg. daily. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sunnygirl12

• Shebon

• BuddhaMama

• Hibari

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t speak for Sunny, but I’m also tapering off Remeron and am currently at 2.8mg. When I started going down by .1mg a week, the percentage drop began to increase significantly once I got below 3mg. When I made the jump from 2.9 to 2.8 (after only having been at 2.9 for one week) the withdrawal was noticeable immediately-the very next night I was unable to sleep and had a terrible headache. I updosed back to 2.9 that very night , took my migraine meds (which make me sleepy) and fell asleep fine. I decided to hold at 2.9 for about 10 days. I was able to drop to 2.8 after that without the same intensity of symptoms. So now I think Im going to do decreases farther and farther apart as they get to be higher percentages of my last dose.

OFF Paxil 1996-1997 CT, no w/d sxs

OFF Celexa 2002 (6 months) CT, mild and brief w/d sxs

OFF Ativan 1mg-Cold Turkey 2014, WD Syndrome for several weeks despite intermittent use over 9 months rather than daily use.

OFF Lexapro 3 doses only February 2015 (increased depression)

OFF Paxil 3 doses only July 2016 (increased anxiety)

ON Remeron 15mg daily since AUG 2016 for PPD/PPA/PPOCD Tried cutting dose by 1/4 tablet  December 1, 2016, one week of intense withdrawal headaches, reinstated 15mg dose December 8, 2016.

ON bioidentical Progesterone cream 50mg/day originally started for self diagnosed estrogen dominance April 2015, continued use during pregnancy to alleviate hormonal headaches October 2015-July 2016, continued postpartum to help with mood July 2016-present.

Supplements: Magnesium, Fish Oil, Probiotics, Quercetin

Tried Methylfolate Sept 2016 to "potentiate" Remeron - ended up experiencing worsened side effects (mainly irritability bordering on rage) Discontinued after two doses.

BEGAN REMERON TAPER Feb 2 2017 by switching to different manufacturer of tablet mirtazipine (manufacturer that matches my liquid solution). Holding 15mg dose until adjusted. Plan to eventually do half liquid, half tablet (still 15mg), then all liquid (15mg), then .95ml of 15mg per ml liquid (a 5% reduction) depending on how I respond to adjusting from tablet to liquid.

August 2017 9mg liquid mirtazipine, cutting by 2% every week.

July 2018 3mg liquid Mirtazipine,cutting by 2-3% every week.

I can’t speak for Sunny, but I’m also tapering off Remeron and am currently at 2.8mg. When I started going down by .1mg a week, the percentage drop began to increase significantly once I got below 3mg. When I made the jump from 2.9 to 2.8 (after only having been at 2.9 for one week) the withdrawal was noticeable immediately-the very next night I was unable to sleep and had a terrible headache. I updosed back to 2.9 that very night , took my migraine meds (which make me sleepy) and fell asleep fine. I decided to hold at 2.9 for about 10 days. I was able to drop to 2.8 after that without the same intensity of symptoms. So now I think Im going to do decreases farther and farther apart as they get to be higher percentages of my last dose.

OFF Ativan 1mg-Cold Turkey 2014, WD Syndrome for several weeks despite intermittent use over 9 months rather than daily use.

ON Remeron 15mg daily since AUG 2016 for PPD/PPA/PPOCD Tried cutting dose by 1/4 tablet  December 1, 2016, one week of intense withdrawal headaches, reinstated 15mg dose December 8, 2016.

ON bioidentical Progesterone cream 50mg/day originally started for self diagnosed estrogen dominance April 2015, continued use during pregnancy to alleviate hormonal headaches October 2015-July 2016, continued postpartum to help with mood July 2016-present.

Tried Methylfolate Sept 2016 to "potentiate" Remeron - ended up experiencing worsened side effects (mainly irritability bordering on rage) Discontinued after two doses.

BEGAN REMERON TAPER Feb 2 2017 by switching to different manufacturer of tablet mirtazipine (manufacturer that matches my liquid solution). Holding 15mg dose until adjusted. Plan to eventually do half liquid, half tablet (still 15mg), then all liquid (15mg), then .95ml of 15mg per ml liquid (a 5% reduction) depending on how I respond to adjusting from tablet to liquid.

Hi Shebon,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I'm working a lot and haven't been on this site in so long I couldn't remember my password. I'm now down to .8 mg. Yes I'm still having insomnia, however, I'm older and dealing with hormones so it's typical for my age. I think your plan to go to the sol tabs for a while is good. However, I'm not sure if it works to cut those with a pill cutter. I've been doing a liquid taper and I melt the tablet in water to withdraw tiny amounts with a syringe. I can tell you how to do it, it's not hard. It's great because you can taper in small amounts. 

You can look me up on Facebook (Lynn Kahle in Oviedo, FL) or email me at lgkahle@aol.com. Good luck!!

You don't have far to go!

I've been on Remeron for 17 years for insomnia. In 2015, my doctor dropped my dose from 15 mg. to 7.5 for a month and then CT'd... then he substituted Tamazepam for 2 months and then I CT'd that. I reinstated Remeron after 2 months. I tried to withdraw Sept. 20, 2016 until the first week of November 2016. I tapered too fast... going from 15 mg. to around 10.75 mg. After 5-6 weeks I reinstated to 15 mg. I waited about 5 months to taper again because my insomnia was really bad. I started tapering again in April of 2017. My current does is 8.5 mg.

Hi Sunny and BuddaM:

So good to have others in the same "taper" boat off remeron...well, I mean to share our experiences.  I have tried unsuccessfully to get off remeron at least 5-6 times.  The insomnia always freaks me out and I quit the taper.  I cut to 1/8 of a 15 mg. tablet last August (1.8 mg) rem, so a 50% reduction; made it to day 30 or so...had a few nites of 3 hrs. sleep and updosed back to 3.75.  I started having 0 sleep nites for about 11 days ...not every nite but at least 4 "0" sleep nites in between the 11 days.  I finally restabilized after 35 days or so at 3.75 mg. 

Soltab dissolves quickly in water, so I think that Sunnygirl and I may be using the same method.  I add 3.75 ml water to 1/4 Soltab 15 mg. tablet and down it.  I intend to do this for my entire taper.  I tried the crush method with oral suspension and even maple syrup, but I think the dosing is more inaccurate.  I did forget to take my remeron for one nite, and I couldn't sleep and had the rapid thoughts.  I got up at 5:30 a.m. and took the 3.75 dose and finally fell asleep and thoughts abated.  Wow---even missing one dose can cause no sleep!

I want to get off this stuff -- weight gain is everyone's complaint.  I have gained about 11 lbs. during the years of remeron intake.:wacko:

Geez...one day at a time, and one reduction hold at a time.

Shebon

Started 3.75 mg. remeron 4/2013.  Had tapered off benzo 4/2011.  Had tapered down to 1.87 mg remeron but mistakenly thought I was in bad withdrawals, when it was Synthroid again.  Stopped  Synthroid 3/31/3021-side effects are the same as hyperthyroid symptoms, but doctors have no knowledge of this side effect.  Started taper end of 7/2021, now at 3.48 mg. daily. 

Sunnygirl:  A big congrats to getting down to .8 mg. remeron.   You are slaying the mirt beast!!

:ph34r:

Thanks, and you can too! I've had a family member in the hospital so I haven't been available much. I still want to give you the tapering instructions. I've got this down pat. I'd love to help you.

I've been on Remeron for 17 years for insomnia. In 2015, my doctor dropped my dose from 15 mg. to 7.5 for a month and then CT'd... then he substituted Tamazepam for 2 months and then I CT'd that. I reinstated Remeron after 2 months. I tried to withdraw Sept. 20, 2016 until the first week of November 2016. I tapered too fast... going from 15 mg. to around 10.75 mg. After 5-6 weeks I reinstated to 15 mg. I waited about 5 months to taper again because my insomnia was really bad. I started tapering again in April of 2017. My current does is 8.5 mg.

I'm also an admin in a Facebook group that helps people taper off of it.

Hi Sunny:

Yes, I would love to hear how you are doing your taper.  So many different methods to try and some have failed on me. 

How long are you and Buddha holding after each reduction.  I looked at my calendar for a 5 week hold and then for a 4 week hold.  I'm hoping I can do the 4-week hold.  Otherwise, geez, it will take me almost a year to get to 1 mg. 

Sunny; I will try and look you up on FB too. 

Best to you Buddha too!

Shebon

Shebon, I’ve been holding a week to ten days between decreases. The higher the percentage drop, the longer I hold. Last two were: 3.3%=hold 11 days, 3.4%=hold at least 10 days, see how I feel.

Hi Buddha:

So you are doing well in your taper?  You are able to do the small percent reductions?  How are you doing your taper?

I know I can do the .10 decreases when I get to 1 mg., but how are you doing the 3.4% reductions?  Otherwise, I thought I would go down by .25 mg. each reduction.

Are you using the dissolvable SolTabs?

Thanks for any and all help!!

Hi Shebon,

I’m not really sure I understand your question, but I will try to clarify what I’m doing in my taper. 

My current dose is 2.8mg. Every 10 days or so, I decrease by .1mg, which ends up being about 3.4% of my last dose. Divide .1 by 2.9 (my last dose), and you get 0.034, which is 3.4% after you move the decimals over two places. When I drop to 2.7mg, the drop will still be .1mg, but the percentage will increase to 3.5%. As the dose gets lower, .1mg becomes a higher percentage of that last dose. I may not continue to drop by exactly.1mg because eventually it will be too high of a percentage for my body to handle at once. BUT, I have to see how I respond as I go. It may get harder, it may get easier, I have no idea. I’m just taking it slow and listening to my body. 

Shebon, 

I can give you my formula for my liquid taper if you want. Worked perfectly!

Hi Buddha and Sunny:

Buddha:  So you are reducing by about 10% total per month?  What method do you use to do the smaller reductions?  Are you using compounded liquid remeron?  That would make it much easier. 

Right now, I have a 3 ml syringe, take 1/4 tablet of 15 mg. and add the same 3.75 ml water to a shot glass.  I down the entire shot glass.  My first reduction will be to 3.5 mg. so I will add 3.75 ml water to 1/4 tablet and then draw out only 3.5 ml with the syringe.  I don't think I can do the smaller percent reductions as you are doing. 

Sunny:  Yes, I would love to know your taper method too.  Knowledge is power in this game!

Hope you both have the most relaxing weekend!! 

Shebon

Having just read through this discussion I thought it might be useful if I shared my experience of Mirtazipine withdrawal. I tapered far to fast. I think you should be able to see this in my signature. I have now been Mirt free for 28 weeks and I am still experiencing very disruptive sleep. I fall asleep generally fine now but between 4-5 hours later suddenly awake with this dreadful anxiety jolt - just as Sunnygirl describes. I then do one of two things:

1) Get up and sit quietly in a comfy chair and let the feelings and sensations wash over me watching them in meditative style. They gradually subside but it takes a few hours.

or

2) Stay in bed doing a similar thing and on occasions sleep comes after an hour or two only to be awakened with another anxiety jolt.

On balance 1) seems to work better for me. I will do a meditation using the Headspace app. I find this very helpful and reassuring.

Having been through 9 months of absolute hell I do sometimes despair if this will finally resolve itself but when I look through the log I have kept  I find that what I am suffering with now is so much less than it was a few months earlier so I suppose time will be the great healer.

Just as it describes here on SA the progress you make is not a uniform one but does move in that “windows and waves” pattern. I try to live just one day at a time and not project my thoughts too far in the future which generally consist of “if I am like this how am I going to cope with that event coming up next week/month etc” - it’s all too easy to get sucked into that particular wormhole.

Good luck to everyone going through this. I would like to of hear any other experiences that you have had going through this process.

65yrs old - prescribed Mirtazipine 2.5 years ago. 7.5mg for 9 months. Intolerable anxiety and insomnia for about a month after stopping. Reinstated to 3.5mg after that month. Remained on 3.5 mg for 6 months. Stopped taking cold turkey. Intolerable symptoms. 3months gradually reducing to zero.Now 4 months clear but still sleep problems with nervous/anxiety attacks every time I drop off to sleep - about every 2 hours.

peter

Hi Peter:

Sounds like you have been through the cold turkey or near cold turkey wringer.  Isn't it amazing what a small dose of mirt dependency can do when it is suddenly stopped? 

Glad to hear though, that you have noticed improvements and are feeling optimistic about recovery 100%.  A big congrats to you for being mirt free for 7 months now...I think the daily log is an excellent way to assess one's healing.  I kept one through my benzo taper and now going through this taper too. 

I can completely identify with the attitude of "how will I function at my upcoming function when I am feeling like this?"  That's the main reason why I have postponed my taper several times. 

I have taken the Soltab mirt now for 12 nites  as part of my crossover to water soluable tablets for the taper.  I tried to crush the 15 mg. tablets and mix with suspension liquid or maple syrup.  That did not work for me.  So I'm hoping the slow, gradual taper using Soltabs will help reduce symptoms.  Only time will tell.

Please stay in touch...Sunny is almost done with her taper and Buddha and I are close to the same pace, though I am at 3.75 mg.  I will try the 4 week hold in between reductions. 

Best regards,

Shebon

Shebon,

Hi! I finally got around to copying the instructions from the Facebook group I got them from. I'm going to post it for you. I hope you can follow it, if not let me know! Basically I make a liquid out of my tablets. You will need to purchase some supplies like syringes but the liquid is easy to make. The group I'm in recommends a decrease of no more than 2-5% every 2-4 weeks but I found that I could go faster. I hope this helps!

MAKING MIRTAZAPINE LIQUID, PILL & 'SOL TAB' INSTRUCTION

Here is the pill to liquid instruction for anyone who might want to taper slowly.
You will need a 15 ml syringe and also a 1ml syringe with markings on at 0.1ml intervals
A pill crusher (available from Amazon)
Ora Plus suspension (available from Amazon)
A clean medicine bottle or small jar
A small accurate measuring jug or medicine cup with measure on. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Crush up 2 x 15mg (or 1 x 30mg) Mirtazapine pills until they are a fine powder (although the outer coating does not grind up as fine as the white Mirt’ powder that is inside, but that's fine. So long as the white Mirt’ is a fine powder.

• Then measure both 15 ml water & 15 ml Ora Plus and pour into the medicine bottle or see the end for receptacle..

• Then pour the powder INTO THE WATER FRIST, and shake it , then add the OraPlus & shake virorously. So 1ml of the liquid equals 1mg of Mirtazapine. N.B. Mirtazapine is not soluble in water and so you must shake it vigorously every time you take out a dose to ensure you are getting an accurate measure of Mirtazapine.

• Also you should store it in the fridge. It is recommended to keep it no longer than four days.

So from the 30 mg / 30 ml draw up the syringe what you require. 
1 ml of the liquid = 1 mg.

This has been tried and tested and works very well. Just make sure you shake it very well before drawing up the syringe.
Credit to Evergreen

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Using SOL TABS, similar to the above:
Sol Tabs can be very useful if you are withdrawing, or maybe even if you are changing doses.

+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

VERY USEFULL ADVICE FROM advice from Betsy O'Roark Cambareri:
I use the OraPlus and yes, it tastes yuck! Important is to suspend the tablet in a bit of water first. I do 50% water, mix and then add the OraPlus, and it still keeps it well suspended so able to stretch the $. If you add the tablet to just OraPlus, I have found it makes a white glob, hard to mix! You could maybe try Karo Syrup which is thicker than maple syrup. I use these tubes to mix in because they have the hash marks on the tube and you don't lose volume trying to transfer from measuring to your container: https://www.amazon.com/Neta.../dp/B01KKVDBN6/ref=sr_1_6...
The markings do wear off after many uses so good to have the supply!

One caveat on these is that when you get down to the last 10 or so ml, it is hard to reach the liquid with a 3-cc syringe. I tilt it on its side to bring the liquid up where I can reach it, but sometimes you get bubbles - I hate having to flush the bubbles out with the suspension liquids because it ends up messy, but that's just me! The other option is to pour that last bit out into a measuring spoon and syringe it up from there. Just little tips...

I'll add that for those who want to use just water, even the SolTabs will settle quickly, so I do think it is necessary to use something to keep it in suspension. The other benefit of the OraPlus is that I believe it has stabilizers in it which would help preserve the integrity of the drug.

Good luck.

Hi Sunny:

Thanks big time for your step by step "how to" crush and use the mirt tablets or Soltabs.  I am switching over to Soltabs, hoping it will be easier to dissolve and use with the syringe.  I have the OraPlus on hand in case I detect "settling" problems. 

How's your taper going?  I take it you are using tablets with the crushing/suspension method?  Hope you are doing well and receiving much support. 

Buddha:  Are you using tablets or Soltabs?  Hopefull, another mirt conqueror on here, is using Soltabs too, and she's almost off.

Be well .... and best regards,

Shebon

Hello Shebon! 

You're very welcome for the instructions and I'll be happy to answer any questions. I'm at .4 mg so in a few weeks I'll be free of it!

I probably should have told you that if you use sol tabs, specifically the type that dissolve, you don't need to crush them. The will melt right in the water.

You'll need some supplies, not sure where you live, but you can buy them all on Amazon. Let me know if you you have any questions! ☺️🤠😄

Very helpful advice here, everybody, thank you.

@Peter, thanks for reminding me to take things "one day at a time". I, too, fear how I will cope with future events if I happen to hit a wave. But it is ok. I feel less guilty all the time ducking out of things if I am not up to them. I try to embrace things I do when I do have energy, and feel all the feels.

Windows and waves, swings and roundabouts. 

Jan 2023: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

June 2021: started HRT (oestradiol patch 50 microg, progresterone 100 mg). 

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Feb. 2015: 7.5 mg Mirtazapine + 1.5 mg Lorazepam + 375 mg Venlafaxine.

On 9/13/2018 at 3:03 AM, Shebon said:

Hi Peter:

Sounds like you have been through the cold turkey or near cold turkey wringer.  Isn't it amazing what a small dose of mirt dependency can do when it is suddenly stopped? 

Glad to hear though, that you have noticed improvements and are feeling optimistic about recovery 100%.  A big congrats to you for being mirt free for 7 months now...I think the daily log is an excellent way to assess one's healing.  I kept one through my benzo taper and now going through this taper too. 

I can completely identify with the attitude of "how will I function at my upcoming function when I am feeling like this?"  That's the main reason why I have postponed my taper several times. 

I have taken the Soltab mirt now for 12 nites  as part of my crossover to water soluable tablets for the taper.  I tried to crush the 15 mg. tablets and mix with suspension liquid or maple syrup.  That did not work for me.  So I'm hoping the slow, gradual taper using Soltabs will help reduce symptoms.  Only time will tell.

Please stay in touch...Sunny is almost done with her taper and Buddha and I are close to the same pace, though I am at 3.75 mg.  I will try the 4 week hold in between reductions. 

Best regards,

Shebon

Hi Shebon

Go very very slowly when reducing from 3.75mg of Mirt - use the 10% rule or if need only 5%. For myself  I thought as it was such a low dose there would be no problem and despite reducing from 3.75mg to zero in three months this was far too fast and I have suffered the consequences. I hadn’t found this site at the time and it was only my research into why I feel so bad that I happened upon it. Anyway everything suggests that coming off the “last bit” is hard and needs to be done very slowly.

It’s incredible isn’t it that very low dose tablets of Mirt aren’t readily available and that our GPs (doctors here in the UK) do not buy into this withdrawal problem and are quick to diagnose the original condition and re-prescribe the same drug. It kind of reaffirms in one’s own mind that one is “ill” and has a “chemical imbalance”. They give no support and when one is in this fragile state it is very easy to succumb to their diagnosis as they are the experts and go back on the tablets. There are so many millions of people with the same problem that we all can’t be wrong!

Anyway Shebon go steady don’t give yourself time limits - if it takes 5 weeks instead of 4 to stabilise after a reduction so be it.

I am now 31 weeks clear of Mirt and I still have days when I feel pretty rough but there are days when I feel normal again and believe I am over all this only to find that I crash again. Restful sleep is still elusive - I think this is where I find meditation so useful as you learn to just let it all wash over you.

Peter

65yrs old - prescribed Mirtazipine 2.5 years ago. 7.5mg for 9 months. Intolerable anxiety and insomnia for about a month after stopping. Reinstated to 3.5mg after that month. Remained on 3.5 mg for 6 months. Stopped taking cold turkey. Intolerable symptoms. 3months gradually reducing to zero.Now 4 months clear but still sleep problems with nervous/anxiety attacks every time I drop off to sleep - about every 2 hours.

peter

How's everyone doing? Shebon, did you start your taper?
I'm down to .3 mg. now. I have had such a hard time getting off this drug until I finally found the right way in a Facebook group.
My first attempt was by a stupid doctor who cold turkey'd me and switched me to a benzo. (Because of the weight gain.) The second doctor, not much better, did about a 4 mg drop, although he recommended 50% drops. I have never had depression, or even insomnia until I worked nights when my kids were small. So I took it for insomnia during that time when I worked nights and stupidly stayed on it. And when these doctors did these big dose decreases I suffered horrible insomnia. I am so looking forward to being off of this drug.  Trying to get off of it since 2015... anything like this garbage should not be on the market!

I’m so glad you’re doing well Sunny. Can you give me the name of this FB group so that I can join?

I’m at 2.6mg, dropping by .1mg every ten days or so. As usual, I am eager eager eager to be DONE. But I have to be patient because when I drop too soon or too much, my body lets me know by giving me intense headaches and those anxiety filled insomnia jolts at bedtime.  I just don’t want this to take another YEAR. It’s already been two years. I really hope I can cut my dose in bigger chunks once I’m down to 1mg. 

Right now my withdrawal symptoms are tolerable: irritability, hot flashes, “ant bites”, and vivid dreams.

Sorry Buddha, I have had those awful adrenaline surges too but mine were in the middle of the night night like around 4 am. That was after one of those doctor's fast tapers. I know the frustration of it taking so long and I feel your pain. Tapering the correct way it has taken me a year and a half. But, I have spent so much time recovering after those botched tapers by doctors as well. I wish you well in the rest of your taper...

This site won't let me post a link to the Facebook group. But you can search for it. It's called (haha) Remeron Should Be Illegal. You just need to answer a few questions to join.

Hi Remeron Peeps:

I have had 31 nites of 3.75 mg. Soltab dissolved in water.  I wanted to cross over to the Soltab from generic mirt tablets as I thought this might be easier than crush and hope for the best when it's dissolved (or not).  I will make my first cut to 3.5 mg. within the next week or so.  I read somewhere that because Soltabs are not scored that there could be uncertainty in dose in each cut section of the tablet?

I have read many people on this AD start to feel better right after their taper begins and with subsequent reductions.  I hope this is the case...Buddha and Sunny...did you find this happening after you made a reduction?

Peter; hang in there ... You did a fast taper off 3.75 mg. but it sounds like you will come out of this eventually as you are having good windows in with the bad waves.  So many doctors not informed, much like the over prescriptions for opiods that began in late 90's.  Many doctors thought that if one took the opiod for pain, that one could not become addicted.   Now that is pure rubbish and many have suffered at the doctor's lack of information. 

Big congrats, Sunny....you are almost to the finish line.  Buddha...we can do this....I started and stopped 5 times but hopefully, I will not let fear control the taper.

Best regards to all!

Shebon:)

Hi Shebon! Sounds like a good start! I never heard that about scoring on the sol tabs. Question, by the phrase sol tabs, you do mean the kind that dissolve, right? I'm asking because a friend said she was taking sol tabs but hers wouldn't dissolve well in water. With mine, I put it in water and it melts right away. No problems for me. When you make the mixture, milligrams and milliliters are equal. What is your starting tablet, 7.5? So you cut that in half?

I really never felt anything after a cut. I may have slept worse, but I'm older so it's hard to tell. I have experienced some positive feelings... I never felt bad on it, but I never really felt good either. (Again I didn't take it for depression, I took it for sleep.) I must have been "numb" all these years because it seems like I'm getting emotions back and I feel gratitude and happiness. I think that's a good sign! Good luck everyone!

On 9/16/2018 at 4:47 PM, sunnygirl12 said:

Shebon,

Hi! I finally got around to copying the instructions from the Facebook group I got them from. I'm going to post it for you. I hope you can follow it, if not let me know! Basically I make a liquid out of my tablets. You will need to purchase some supplies like syringes but the liquid is easy to make. The group I'm in recommends a decrease of no more than 2-5% every 2-4 weeks but I found that I could go faster. I hope this helps!

MAKING MIRTAZAPINE LIQUID, PILL & 'SOL TAB' INSTRUCTION

Here is the pill to liquid instruction for anyone who might want to taper slowly.
You will need a 15 ml syringe and also a 1ml syringe with markings on at 0.1ml intervals
A pill crusher (available from Amazon)
Ora Plus suspension (available from Amazon)
A clean medicine bottle or small jar
A small accurate measuring jug or medicine cup with measure on. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Crush up 2 x 15mg (or 1 x 30mg) Mirtazapine pills until they are a fine powder (although the outer coating does not grind up as fine as the white Mirt’ powder that is inside, but that's fine. So long as the white Mirt’ is a fine powder.

• Then measure both 15 ml water & 15 ml Ora Plus and pour into the medicine bottle or see the end for receptacle..

• Then pour the powder INTO THE WATER FRIST, and shake it , then add the OraPlus & shake virorously. So 1ml of the liquid equals 1mg of Mirtazapine. N.B. Mirtazapine is not soluble in water and so you must shake it vigorously every time you take out a dose to ensure you are getting an accurate measure of Mirtazapine.

• Also you should store it in the fridge. It is recommended to keep it no longer than four days.

So from the 30 mg / 30 ml draw up the syringe what you require. 
1 ml of the liquid = 1 mg.

This has been tried and tested and works very well. Just make sure you shake it very well before drawing up the syringe.
Credit to Evergreen

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Using SOL TABS, similar to the above:
Sol Tabs can be very useful if you are withdrawing, or maybe even if you are changing doses.

+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

VERY USEFULL ADVICE FROM advice from Betsy O'Roark Cambareri:
I use the OraPlus and yes, it tastes yuck! Important is to suspend the tablet in a bit of water first. I do 50% water, mix and then add the OraPlus, and it still keeps it well suspended so able to stretch the $. If you add the tablet to just OraPlus, I have found it makes a white glob, hard to mix! You could maybe try Karo Syrup which is thicker than maple syrup. I use these tubes to mix in because they have the hash marks on the tube and you don't lose volume trying to transfer from measuring to your container: https://www.amazon.com/Neta.../dp/B01KKVDBN6/ref=sr_1_6...
The markings do wear off after many uses so good to have the supply!

One caveat on these is that when you get down to the last 10 or so ml, it is hard to reach the liquid with a 3-cc syringe. I tilt it on its side to bring the liquid up where I can reach it, but sometimes you get bubbles - I hate having to flush the bubbles out with the suspension liquids because it ends up messy, but that's just me! The other option is to pour that last bit out into a measuring spoon and syringe it up from there. Just little tips...

I'll add that for those who want to use just water, even the SolTabs will settle quickly, so I do think it is necessary to use something to keep it in suspension. The other benefit of the OraPlus is that I believe it has stabilizers in it which would help preserve the integrity of the drug.

Good luck.

Hi Sunnygirl12, 

I am going to use the method above for my SolTabs of Lamictal.  I am going to do a liquid suspension for an amount of 4.2ml.  I will take the other 5mgs in a pill for now while I make the transition.  For tonight injustice dissolved two 5mgs pill in 10ml of water.  Then I drew up 4.2 mgs out of that total liquid, and saved the rest.  

Just wanted to check my calculations below. 

When I get the Oraplus, I will use 5ml of water and 5ml of Oraplus.  I will dissolve  two 5mgs pills in 5ml of water. Once they dissolve in the water, I add the 5ml of Oraplus and shake it.  Then I draw up 4.2 of that solution and then take that.  

Does that seem correct to you?  

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Hello Hibari,
Your solution sounds correct... milligrams and millilters are equal so it sounds like you have two 5 mg tablets in a mixture of half water and half Ora Plus, to make a 10 ml solution right?
Are you are wanting to take 4.2 mg. it sounds. Just curious what dose you are taking now? The 5 mg? 

22 minutes ago, sunnygirl12 said:

Hello Hibari,
Your solution sounds correct... milligrams and millilters are equal so it sounds like you have two 5 mg tablets in a mixture of half water and half Ora Plus, to make a 10 ml solution right?
Are you are wanting to take 4.2 mg. it sounds. Just curious what dose you are taking now? The 5 mg? 

I am taking 9.2 milligrams starting tonight.(just coming down from 9.4)

I take 4.2mg in liquid and the 5mg hard pill.  I'm doing it that way so that the transition to liquid won't be so rough.  

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

It's up to you, but what I did was switch to the solution for a few weeks in order to allow my body to get used to it before any decreases. I'm not sure how it would be taking a tablet form and a liquid form, but to me it would be much smoother and easier to just do the liquid.

Yes, normally I would have done that but I have been struggling with being on too much medication after an updose.  I needed to come down a touch.  On top of that my scale was jumping around too much and I wasn't even sure how accurate my dosage was.  That's why I wanted to at least keep one pill to make sure I was getting a consistent 5mg amount no matter what.  

Thank you for your support on this.  

That makes sense...

And I definitely do support you, I know how hard it is! 

11 hours ago, sunnygirl12 said:

That makes sense...

And I definitely do support you, I know how hard it is! 

Thank you! 

You're welcome! 😍

Hi Sunny:

The SolTabs are 15 mg. (I quarter them) to make the 3.75 mg. dose that I have been on for soooo long.  The tabs do dissolve quickly in water and I am mixing them with 3.75 ml water. 

Tonite, I will reduce to 3.5 mg., using a 3 ml syringe with lower markings to grab up the remaining .5 mg/ml.  I stir it up with a toothpick. 

Seems insane to get off this stuff slowly, but it's the only way.   You will be off in no time....a big kudos to you.

Thanks for your help and support!

Shebon

Sorry I just saw this, how's it going?

3.75 isn't bad...

15 mg  was hard! I only took it for sleep.

Edited by sunnygirl12
Phone