Who has not looked the other way

compsports

In my previous post, in reference to the Penn State situation, I mentioned that our society constantly practices looking the other way. But there are prominent people who look the right way. I thought it would be nice to get a list going that I will start.

1. Robert Whitaker

2. Dr. Peter Breggin, MD

3. Dr. Loren Mosher, MD

4. Dr. Grace Jackson, MD

5. Dr. Bruce Levine, PhD

6. Dr. Paula Caplan, PhD

7. Dr. Bonnie Burstow, PhD

Feel free to add to the list

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I can't believe I left him off the list.

Dr. Mark Foster, MD

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Penn State, here's another one who doesn't look the other way:

Nick Bryant, author of "The Franklin Scandal," which helped blow the lid off the cover-up of one of the worst child sex rings ever conducted in this country. The cover-up went all the way up to the FBI and the US government, supposedly. It is a truly shocking story.

It's truly eerie that I was just learning about this scandal literally days before the Penn State scandal broke. Basically, the Franklin scandal concerned a child sex slave ring centered in Franklin, Nebraska in the 1980s, in which an up-and-coming Republican politician named Larry King (no, not THAT Larry King lol) loaned out young boys from shelters like Boys Town to powerful Republicans for pedophilic orgies in which seemingly every perversion took place, including everything from heroin use to physical abuse/torture to even Satanism! The orgies were audio/video recorded so King could blackmail the politicians involved in them.

*Yes, I know this is not about psychiatry per se, but Mr. Bryant absolutely needs to be commended for his work. He literally took his life in his own hands by writing this, as others who were investigating the case suspiciously died (hmmmm...). When I'm in a better place mentally, I may very well read this book, as it is so important.

http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Scandal-Story-Powerbrokers-Betrayal/dp/0977795357/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322083343&sr=1-2

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

Speaking of Penn State, here's another one who doesn't look the other way:

Nick Bryant, author of "The Franklin Scandal," which helped blow the lid off the cover-up of one of the worst child sex rings ever conducted in this country. The cover-up went all the way up to the FBI and the US government, supposedly. It is a truly shocking story.

It's truly eerie that I was just learning about this scandal literally days before the Penn State scandal broke. Basically, the Franklin scandal concerned a child sex slave ring centered in Franklin, Nebraska in the 1980s, in which an up-and-coming Republican politician named Larry King (no, not THAT Larry King lol) loaned out young boys from shelters like Boys Town to powerful Republicans for pedophilic orgies in which seemingly every perversion took place, including everything from heroin use to physical abuse/torture to even Satanism! The orgies were audio/video recorded so King could blackmail the politicians involved in them.

*Yes, I know this is not about psychiatry per se, but Mr. Bryant absolutely needs to be commended for his work. He literally took his life in his own hands by writing this, as others who were investigating the case suspiciously died (hmmmm...). When I'm in a better place mentally, I may very well read this book, as it is so important.

http://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Scandal-Story-Powerbrokers-Betrayal/dp/0977795357/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322083343&sr=1-2

Thanks Cine for mentioning him.

I have a vague memory of this but totally forgot. When my reading skill are better, i will definitely read the book.

I think this guy is the winner.

CS

Hmm, I'd be careful about making this into a contest. Yes, Bryant may be the most outwardly courageous as those who tried to speak out on this issue were more than likely PERMANENTLY silenced, but we must not forget how wide-ranging Whitaker's, Caplan's et. all's efforts are. All those speaking out about psychiatry have no doubt already steered countless lives away from danger and may very well have already saved lives, so that must be considered too.

I think everyone on this list is equally stunning.

PS: Here's a link to the BANNED Discovery Channel documentary on the Franklin Scandal. It was supposed to air in the 90s but was yanked by supposedly some very powerful people in Congress (HMMMM). I haven't watched it, but I will eventually. I feel I owe it to those kids...

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

Hmm, I'd be careful about making this into a contest. Yes, Bryant may be the most outwardly courageous as those who tried to speak out on this issue were more than likely PERMANENTLY silenced, but we must not forget how wide-ranging Whitaker's, Caplan's et. all's efforts are. All those speaking out about psychiatry have no doubt already steered countless lives away from danger and may very well have already saved lives, so that must be considered too.

I think everyone on this list is equally stunning.

PS: Here's a link to the BANNED Discovery Channel documentary on the Franklin Scandal. It was supposed to air in the 90s but was yanked by supposedly some very powerful people in Congress (HMMMM). I haven't watched it, but I will eventually. I feel I owe it to those kids...

Good point!

I think I was speaking from a biased perspective as I had a good friend who was the victim of sexual abuse. She ever got over it.

Also, many people who are sexually abused find their way into the psychiatric system and are drugged to the gills. Their sexual abuse issues are never dealt with.

But each person who bucks the systems and does the right thing is unique in their own way.

CS

PS - Thank for the link regarding the scandal. I will take a look when I have time.