Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

JoLe

@ChessieCat

I think that I got to the bottom of this. Apparently, my pills don't weigh the amount that they're listed as on my bottle. Turns out, half of a mini-tablet within my 37.5mg Effexor XR is actually about 10 or 11mg as opposed to 6mg. I even tested out a few of my half mini tablets to be sure, and I got the same reading. The full mini-tablet is about 23mg, so this more or less checks out. Which is to say, I accidentally just about halved my dose for nearly three weeks.

Obviously, I'm pretty upset by all of this. I was doing so damn well (relatively speaking...) on the roughly cut up half-mini-tablets, and I've just felt awful since I accidentally halved my dose. The worse anxiety I've felt in months and the recurrence of panic attacks (even as I wake up...), moments of confusion, generally spaced out, and about a week-long migraine. I basically couldn't work for about two days there at one point. Awful, awful stuff.

I made the correction on Monday, and I'm on 10mg, twice a day, and I can sort of feel myself slowly getting better. I'm not necessarily qualified to comment confidently on any of this, but my hope is that I'll get back to where I was before this dosage SNAFU, and in about as long as it took me to get to this place, too -- which is to say, three weeks. That's my hope, anyway. I'm curious to get people's thoughts on this though!

The lesson here, I suppose, is not to trust the measurements on the pillbox. 

My questions about how to precisely measure out doses as I work my way down from 10mg remain, though. My scale just cannot pick up anything lower than 4mg. I went through some of the threads out creating a liquid suspension, but none of them seemed to deal with how precisely to do that with Effexor XR -- unless I missed something, which is totally possible.

2012-2015 - Venlafaxine (between 150mg and 225mg), about six months cold turkey ended that

2016 - a few months of Fluoxetine (Prozac)

2016 - back on Venlafaxine at between 150mg and 225mg

2017 - maybe six months of Escitalopram (Cipralex)

2017 to 2021 - back on Venlafaxine at 150mg, without interruption

March 2021 - Fast taper off of Venlafaxine to try new drugs

April 2021 - Vortioxetine (Trintellix) 10mg for a month until I went cold turkey in May for ~month (introduction of Lorazepam (Ativan) 0.5mg sublingual to cope with panic attacks, which I still use occasionally to this day)

June and July 2021 - Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) 50mg to start, then 100mg, and then I tapered off of it in about two weeks to get back on Venlafaxine

August 2021 - Venlafaxine 37.5mg

September 2021 - Venlafaxine 75mg

October 2021 - Venlafaxine 37.5mg

November 2021 to now - very slowly tapering down from Venlafaxine, one half-mini tab at a time

I would like to briefly address two things I am still unclear on:

1) Tablet weight
We have now started the olanzapine reduction with my wife. Small microptapering steps, with a stabilization phase if needed. For this I have bought two digital scales to eliminate measurement errors as much as possible. Namely, I noticed that in some cases weight deviations can occur at once during the weighing process. For example, the scale shows 0.008 g more than at the beginning of the first measurement.

The procedure (may sound time-consuming, but it only takes about 5 minutes): 
- Check if 10 g scaling weight is correct
- Weighing the tablet on both scales
- The results are correct or average with the smallest deviation
- Calculation of individual daily dose: (weight of tablet / total dose)*desired dose = weight to be weighed out 
- Example: 20mg Olanzapine tablet, weight is 0.408 g. Desired dosage = 16.7 mg => 0.408 / 20 = 0.0204 => 0.0204 * 16.7 = 0.341 g
- Check the final weight on both scales

What I noticed is that the weight of the tablets varies surprisingly.
In 30 measurements, the lowest was 0.400 g and the highest was 0.434 g. As I said, measured by two independent scales. 

I am honestly surprised. If you assume that regardless of the weight of the active ingredient content is always the same, then this means to me that you always have to take into account the weight of the current day tablet in the method by weighing. A flatly calculated average value for subsequent reductions can lead to reasonably large fluctuations (this is irrelevant for the liquid method), especially if it is accompanied by an additional reduction step. Am I wrong with my thoughts here?!

2) Influence of oxygen on active ingredient content
Currently I am dividing small crumbs with a tablet cutter. I collect these crumbs. I would like to use up these crumbs e.g. every 10 days to leave a new tablet unopened (as backup). 

With this dosing step, there would possibly be some inaccuracies, as described above. Here, a mean value would be applied, which is probably 0.417 g per olanzapine tablet in our example.

Is there, however, an additional influence on the active ingredient content due to the oxygen? I think I once read here in the forum that this could be possible with certain tablets. I wonder if this influence could also happen with the liquid method - i.e. someone dissolves a tablet and takes a certain amount every day and during this time the liquid is stored maybe for 7 days in the refrigerator?

13.10.21 - 50mg Sertraline + 2mg Diazepam (stop after 7 days).
15.11.21 - decission to stop sertraline, because of adverse reaction, no more Sertraline since 18.11.21
03.02.22 - Massive side effects from Sertraline, including head pressure, led to a suicide attempt and hospitalisation
16.03.22 - 20mg Olanzapine / 30mg Mirtazapine / 2.5mg Diazepam (last day of hospital and Diazepam)
17.04.22 - monthly microtapering Olanzapine (22.10.22 - 10mg / 22.02.23 - 7,5mg / 20.05.23 - 5mg / 15.07.23 - 3,7mg)
10.08.23 - monthly microtapering Mirtazapine (28.08.23 - 26mg / 18.09.23 - 22mg / 17.10.23 - 18mg / 20.11.23 - 15mg)
05.12.23 - monthly microtapering Olanzapine (15.12.23 - 3,2mg / 13.01.24 - 2,75mg / 12.02.24 - 2,25mg / 13.03.24 - 1,875mg)

Current - monthly microtapering Mirtazapine 12mg / Olanzapine 1,875mg (holding)

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, JandD said:

What I noticed is that the weight of the tablets varies surprisingly.
In 30 measurements, the lowest was 0.400 g and the highest was 0.434 g. As I said, measured by two independent scales. 

I am honestly surprised. If you assume that regardless of the weight of the active ingredient content is always the same, then this means to me that you always have to take into account the weight of the current day tablet in the method by weighing. A flatly calculated average value for subsequent reductions can lead to reasonably large fluctuations (this is irrelevant for the liquid method), especially if it is accompanied by an additional reduction step. Am I wrong with my thoughts here?!

What you do is weight 10 tablets and take an average.

Even where tablets are compounded by a pharmacist there is still going to be some variation in the dose of each capsule.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I take effexor i used a compounding pharmacy in the past, I am now low enough to count the tiny beads in the capsules.

2023 - July - 4 beads or 1.6 mg, tapering 1 bead per month since 13 beads, will be done on October 31, 2023

2022 - 15 beads or 5.5 mg of Effexor, tapering 10 percent, doing 2 beads per month at the moment. Held 4 months due to increase in anxiety.

2018 - Effexor taper - 10% - 47 mg

2017 - Tapered off  Trazadone with THC oil

2016 - Suicidal ideation returned Effexor up to 225 mg, trazadone 150 mg, Lorazepam prn,

2015 - June - Reintroduced Effexor after CNS crash due too fast a taper, off work for 3 months. Addition of Lorazepam, Trazodone and Zoplicone. Zoplicone used for 3 months only

2014 - Fast taper off Effexor

2012 - 6 month taper off Effexor, CNS destabilized, back on Effexor in May, off work for 3 months

2006 - February - Taper off Effexor again by April 2006 return on effexor 150 - 225 mg

2001- January wanting to get pregnant, tapered on my own by August Remeron 30 mg was tried, September back on effexor 150 mg

1999 - Effexor maintenance dose of 150 mg, by October I wanted to switch to Celexa 20- 40 mg, not working suicidal ideation return to effexor

1996 - 1998 Zoloft (not effective), Luvox (not effective) Elavil (not effective), Serzone (taken off market but worked), Paxil (worked for 1.5 years and pooped out) OD on Xanax, Risperdal gave me a seizure

• 2 weeks later...

Having trouble weighing doses using a scale. So I want to take 27mg of celexa. But I only have 20mg tablets, how would I weigh it and cut it up?

So far I take 2 tablets and weigh them then I take the second tablet and shave it down using a nail file till I get a close dose. I hope this makes sense and I hope I'm doing it right.

- Late 2011/Early 2012? - Started celexa 10mg.

- Sometime in 2012? - Due to doctors advice, jumped to 20mg. Not sure when but doctor suggested 40mg. Tried it for a bit, did not like it, felt flat and had low libido so doctor told me to go down to 30mg.

- Started skipping 1 day or 2 days sometimes due to forgetting and hated being on drugs, felt it was a hassle. It became routine to skip one day and only take it when I felt withdrawal symptoms kick in like dizziness. Always took one 20mg pill and broke the second pill in half.

- May 17 2022, finally talked to my doctor about tapering. Suggested I take 10 mg everyday. Tried taking only 10mg, started getting dizzy, took another half tablet, got horrible anxiety that night. Got scared, had to stop and reinstate back to 30mg that night.

- May 18 2022 discovered and joined survivingantidepressants.org (woozy head and impaired balance lasted 1 week)

- May 19 2022, began trying a reduction, (still skipping a day). Though had no scale so was inaccurately cutting my pills. No idea what dose I was taking, 25-27mg?

- May 25 2022, bought a mg scale and started to better measure my dose. Tried 10% reduction, 27mg. (still skipping a day)

- Ending of May was when I started having horrible anxiety

- June 1 2022, finally started 13.5mg dose 8:15am, and began taking my dose everyday now

- went to 13.7mg after a few weeks and still on it currently. Still taking my dose everyday. went up to 14 on 11/6

• Moderator Emeritus

@Wanttofreemyself

Please weigh 10 tablets and divide the total weight by 10 which will give you and average weight.  Once you have done that please advise the average tablet weight as well as re-stating the dose of the tablets (Celexa 20mg) that you are using so that all the information is in one place which will make it easier for whoever helps you.  Thank you.

Please also read the relevant section of this topic that Brassmonkey wrote so you can understand the difference in the terms that are used when discussing weighing tablets and calculating doses:

brassmonkeys-tips-and-tricks-for-tapering

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thank you. I weighed my ten 20mg tablets and it was 1.370g. After i divided by 10, it was 0.137mg.

I still didn't built up the courage to start taking my pills everyday yet. Still skipping one day.

- Sometime in 2012? - Due to doctors advice, jumped to 20mg. Not sure when but doctor suggested 40mg. Tried it for a bit, did not like it, felt flat and had low libido so doctor told me to go down to 30mg.

- Started skipping 1 day or 2 days sometimes due to forgetting and hated being on drugs, felt it was a hassle. It became routine to skip one day and only take it when I felt withdrawal symptoms kick in like dizziness. Always took one 20mg pill and broke the second pill in half.

- May 17 2022, finally talked to my doctor about tapering. Suggested I take 10 mg everyday. Tried taking only 10mg, started getting dizzy, took another half tablet, got horrible anxiety that night. Got scared, had to stop and reinstate back to 30mg that night.

- May 18 2022 discovered and joined survivingantidepressants.org (woozy head and impaired balance lasted 1 week)

- May 19 2022, began trying a reduction, (still skipping a day). Though had no scale so was inaccurately cutting my pills. No idea what dose I was taking, 25-27mg?

- May 25 2022, bought a mg scale and started to better measure my dose. Tried 10% reduction, 27mg. (still skipping a day)

- June 1 2022, finally started 13.5mg dose 8:15am, and began taking my dose everyday now

- went to 13.7mg after a few weeks and still on it currently. Still taking my dose everyday. went up to 14 on 11/6

On 5/26/2022 at 11:14 PM, ChessieCat said:

@Wanttofreemyself

Please weigh 10 tablets and divide the total weight by 10 which will give you and average weight.  Once you have done that please advise the average tablet weight as well as re-stating the dose of the tablets (Celexa 20mg) that you are using so that all the information is in one place which will make it easier for whoever helps you.  Thank you.

Please also read the relevant section of this topic that Brassmonkey wrote so you can understand the difference in the terms that are used when discussing weighing tablets and calculating doses:

brassmonkeys-tips-and-tricks-for-tapering

By the way, should I just go with the average weight of the pill or still measure my pill before taking them?

When you first calculate the weight of your dose you would use the average weight of the pills. After that you use the weight of the previous dose to calculate the weight of your new dose. So that actual weight of the pills is only used for the initial calculation and no longer applies. In affect after the initial dose the pills become a "supply pile" of material from which you measure a specific amount.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

So for example, my pills individually weigh sometimes 133, 134, 135mg but the average weight of 10 pills is 136. What should I be looking at? Sorry trying to figure it out. 

5 minutes ago, Wanttofreemyself said:

So for example, my pills individually weigh sometimes 133, 134, 135mg but the average weight of 10 pills is 136. What should I be looking at? Sorry trying to figure it out. 

Don't worry, it is confusing for all of us. So you would use 136mg (or 0.136 grams) as your average "pill weight" (mgpw). If those are 20mg dosage pills ("active ingredient" or "mgai") then every 6.8mg of crushed pill powder (136 divided by 20) contains approximately 1mg of the drug. This is as precise as we can get not knowing the exact mixture of chemical and filler so we approximate. You would then crush a handful of them in a pill grinder and work from that pile of powder. So in order to get 27mg dosage/active ingredient, you would weigh out 184mg (27 times 6.8 = 183.6 rounded up) of the powder. As brassmonkey points out, from here forward the only thing that matters is the 6.8mg = 1mg conversion, the weight of the pills only matter if you change the dosage of the pills you are crushing. Taking this another step further, if and when you decide to drop another 10%, your target active ingredient would be 24.3mgai or 165mg of powder (24.3 times 6.8 = 165.24 rounded down).

I hope this helps!

My Introduction thread

2002-2003 Celexa/Lexapro (first ride, very mild withdrawal). 2004-2012 Drug free
2013-2018 Cymbalta 60mg | 2019 Effexor 75mg - 150mg (can't recall specifics)
2020-Apr 2021 Trintellix 20mg | May-Jun 10mg | Jul-Aug 5mg (stopped Aug 12th, 2021)

WD symptoms began 4-6 weeks after last dose, increased severely at the 4 month mark
2021 Oct 9th Propranolol 10mg 2x/day (10am and 7pm) tapered to 5mg. Stopped 2/1/22.
Lorazepam (Ativan) 0.5-1mg as needed

Started a 0.5mg Trintellix reinstatement on 12/17/21 

Tapered to ~0.4mg and 0.3mg by end of May 2022

Stopped Caffeine 1/1/2022 and Nicotine on 4/1/2022.

Jan 19, 2022 - Added Vitamin D3 (2000iu), Super Omega-3 (2500mg) 

December 2022 - Finished taper of reinstatement dose around 0.09mg

Thank you, that was helpful. I began to take only 13.5mg today. No more skipping days

I try to cut the pill close enough to the weight and then file it down a little to get the exact weight. I haven't tried to crush my pills before. Not confident in that. 

I hope what I'm doing is okay.

18 hours ago, Wanttofreemyself said:

Thank you, that was helpful. I began to take only 13.5mg today. No more skipping days

I try to cut the pill close enough to the weight and then file it down a little to get the exact weight. I haven't tried to crush my pills before. Not confident in that. 

I hope what I'm doing is okay.

If you find that filing down the pills is too frustrating, this is the pill grinder I use which works well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3X37L8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think taking 13.5mg daily makes the most sense to me, but I would imagine the filing process to get tedious very quickly! Then again so is weighing and filling empty capsules every two weeks :) Hang in there, you sound like you are on the right track.

My Introduction thread

2002-2003 Celexa/Lexapro (first ride, very mild withdrawal). 2004-2012 Drug free
2020-Apr 2021 Trintellix 20mg | May-Jun 10mg | Jul-Aug 5mg (stopped Aug 12th, 2021)

WD symptoms began 4-6 weeks after last dose, increased severely at the 4 month mark
2021 Oct 9th Propranolol 10mg 2x/day (10am and 7pm) tapered to 5mg. Stopped 2/1/22.

Thank you, 

And is it more recommended to take your dose at the exact same time everyday?

49 minutes ago, Wanttofreemyself said:

And is it more recommended to take your dose at the exact same time everyday?

Absolutely 100% yes

My Introduction thread

Very nicely explained @YachtRock.

As you probably noticed it can be a bit tricky keeping track of what you are talking about when you say xxmg. This might help:

Because both weight and strength are measured in milligrams it is easy to confuse them. We add the MGAI and MGPW designations when discussing our doses so we can tell which number we are talking about. We use MGAI when talking about what dose we are taking but use MGPW to weigh out that dose on the scales when dry-cutting. Both of these measurements need to be recorded in your notes.

MGAI Milligrams Active ingredient, this is the strength of the drug in a single dose. It is in your prescription and is listed on the packaging. For example, I was taking 40mg Paxil at the start of my taper. 40 milligrams is the amount of active ingredient in each tablet. As we taper this number decreases with each reduction. The MGAI is also part of the strength designation for liquid preparations. It is listed as a ratio of Mg/mL.

MGPW Milligrams Pill Weight, this is the physical weight of the full tablet or the weight of the powder for a reduced dose as measured on the scales. It is different from the MGAI because each manufacturer adds fillers to make the pills.

The MGAI and the MGPW are proportional to each other. By making a change to one of them the same change is automatically made to the other. If we reduce the weight of the dose (MGPW) that we weigh on the scale by 10% then the strength of the dose (MGAI) is also decreased by 10%.

The way you made your calculations is correct. But doing it that direction can make the calculations a bit more difficult. If you come at it the other way round you will get an answer in Strength of Active ingredient per 1mgpw. It makes the calculations a little easier to follow.

AIC, Active Ingredient Concentration, is the ratio of Active Ingredient to Pill Weight. It is calculated by dividing the MGAI by the MGPW. This will tell us how much Active Ingredient is in 1milligram of pill/powder.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, YachtRock said:

Absolutely 100% yes

Thank you. Will be doing that

3 hours ago, YachtRock said:

If you find that filing down the pills is too frustrating, this is the pill grinder I use which works well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3X37L8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think taking 13.5mg daily makes the most sense to me, but I would imagine the filing process to get tedious very quickly! Then again so is weighing and filling empty capsules every two weeks :) Hang in there, you sound like you are on the right track.

Yeah I don't think I'm ready to crush my pills yet.  Maybe in the future. Seems pretty technical. 

Thank you,  trying to hang in there.

I have a bunch of smaller broken pieces of tablets. Can I still use them?

Is it alright to throw them together on the scale till I get my accurate weight?

On 6/2/2022 at 7:54 AM, YachtRock said:

What empty capsules do you use?

5 hours ago, Wanttofreemyself said:

I have a bunch of smaller broken pieces of tablets. Can I still use them?

Is it alright to throw them together on the scale till I get my accurate weight?

Yes that works fine. I did that when I was tapering Propranolol. Kept breaking them into small chunks of 1-4mg each. The final weight is all that matters.as for the capsules I use, I have the gelatin ones and wish I had bought the vegan capsules but this is what I have:

Capsuline Size 0 Empty Gelatin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PYUZ5UQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

My Introduction thread

Does the original pill weight of the broken tablet pieces matter when putting it on the scale? Because I don't know it. I only know the  average pill weight, 0.136mg.

According to my calculations I only need to take about 0.91/0.92mg a day. 

For example, Can I throw like 4 broken tablet pieces on the scale if it adds up to 0.91mg and take that dose?

I'm unsure if the active ingredient will be the same if the broken tablet piece are from different pills. Will it still be fine? Will I get the same dosage?

So you are now taking half of your previous 27mg dose everyday so based on the math we previously discussed 0.092 grams sounds correct. I worry you are mixing up your numbers. The common jewelers scale most of us use measures in GRAMS but up to three decimals. So 0.136g is actually 136mg. When you say 0.92mg you realize on a scale that is actually 0.00092 grams which our scales can NOT measure. So you would add pill fragments until your scale reads 0.092 which is 92 milligrams of pill weight. Since each 20mg pills weighs 136mg the numbers sound correct but he careful of your measurements and decimals places :)

My Introduction thread

Yes thank you, sorry about that. 

Does it matter if it's 1 or 2 milligrams more or less? Or you have to be precise each time? For example, sometimes the scale can get fidgety and read 91, 92, or 93mg.

18 hours ago, YachtRock said:

Yes that works fine. I did that when I was tapering Propranolol. Kept breaking them into small chunks of 1-4mg each. The final weight is all that matters.as for the capsules I use, I have the gelatin ones and wish I had bought the vegan capsules but this is what I have:

Capsuline Size 0 Empty Gelatin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PYUZ5UQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Are the vegan capsules better?

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking to the pharmacist earlier and was asking about my leftover pieces of tablets from pill cutting and they don't recommend that I use them even to combine to try get an accurate weight on the scale.

Anyone ran into this problem?

I am NOT a medical professional or a pharmacist, but I disagree with them. I see no reason why fragments of a pill (cut, shaved, crushed or whatever) would not provide the same amount of drug regardless of the state of the tablet. Maybe it would cause a problem if these fragments or pieces were sitting in a container for a few years, but I personally think you are safe. Curious if anyone else disagrees.

My Introduction thread

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Wanttofreemyself said:

I was talking to the pharmacist earlier and was asking about my leftover pieces of tablets from pill cutting and they don't recommend that I use them even to combine to try get an accurate weight on the scale.

Anyone ran into this problem?

Many members here keep the left over bits of their tablets to use.  You just need to ensure that you store them properly and use them within a reasonable time.

The majority of pharmacists will (most likely) be following what the drug companies tell them.

There are some tablets that members have to be aware of what they do with them.  But the information is contained in Post #1 of the relevant Tips for Tapering topic for that particular drug.

myths-about-your-drugs

5 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Many members here keep the left over bits of their tablets to use.  You just need to ensure that you store them properly and use them within a reasonable time.

The majority of pharmacists will (most likely) be following what the drug companies tell them.

There are some tablets that members have to be aware of what they do with them.  But the information is contained in Post #1 of the relevant Tips for Tapering topic for that particular drug.

Yeah this young pharmacist looked at me like I was doing or asking something dangerous. They looked confused that was I using a scale and told me to take the whole pill 20mg but I said I only wanted 13.5 mg of it. Then they said try cutting the pill into fourths

• 4 months later...
On 9/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, Nomansland said:

Hello everyone,

i want to make a post about even distribution in powder/crushed tablets.

So, a lot of people asking if mixing powdered tablets will create an uniform distributed powder (active ingredient + fillers).

When we think about about how actual pharmacies compound medications or capsules, it is clear that good mixing creates a evenly distributed powder.

Please see these videos from pharmacies, which explain how they compound capsules. They dont use special equipment or expensive machines.

All of them just mix and mix active ingredients and filler until an even, fine powder is formed and fill them in capsules using a target weight (as long as you know you get your specific weight of powder in your capsule, it doesnt matter how to fill them). Thats how every pharmacy will compound capsules in any country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ1zEWnyYcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqwMv0Ly_1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8JLKzzRjHs

In addition, our previously intact tablets were already very fine and even mixed (bulk) powder of active ingredients + fillers before they were pressed in the machine (thats how normal immediat release tablets are made, see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofUIvL397FI). Once powder is mixed together, it will not "spontaneously" unmix by even more gently swirling/mixing.

So in my opinion, if you are unsure about distribution using this method, just grind them fine and mix the powder for some time, because thats what pharmacies do

around the world and there should be no problem.

Greetings

Hey! This is what I have been wondering too. Like, is it okay to just dry cut the tablet with a knife? Is it evenly distributed? Some folks in my own country's tapering group have even asked this from Big Pharma companies that have replied that the active drug might not be evenly distributed unless there is groove (then the amount of drug on both sides is even). On the other hand, I would also think that the processing of the tablets is such that it should be evenly distributed.

Citalopram for OCD 2008-2012, Drug free 2012-2015, Citalopram for anxiety 2015-2016, Drug free 2016-2017 (pregnancy), Sertralin for OCD 10/2017-04/2019. Tried fast tapering in 2019 for second pregnancy, failed (depression started), reinstated, med did not work anymore. Used Ativan then for 4 moths an tapered down in a few weeks with no problem. Built tolerance and interdose wothdrawal early on Ativan even with 3/day dosing. Since that, depression meds have had no effect.

Until Jun/2021: escitalopram 20mg (monotherapy), Jun/2021-Jul/2021: escitalopram 20mg + bupropion 150mg

Jul/2021-Jul/2021: escitalopram 10mg + clomipramine 10-75mg (tried to switch escitalopram to clomipramine but too bad side effects), 

Jul/2021-Aug/2021: bupropion 150mg (reinstated in hospital) + escitalopram 15mg, Aug/2021-Sept/27/2021: bupropion 300mg (upped dose) + escitalopram 15mg 

Sept/27/2021-Sept/17/2021: Bupropion 150mg (lowered dose) + Trintellix 5-10mg (switched escitalopram to Trintellix)

Sept/17/2021-Dec/8/2021: Trintellix 20mg (dosage doubled after stopping Wellbutrin since Wellbutrin doubles Trintellix's blood concentration with doses 150-300mg)

Dec/8/2021 : Trintellix 18mg, August 2022: crash at 5,8 mg Trintellix, hospitalized

September 2022: Trintellix 20mg, Ativan 1mgx3, mirtazapine 7,5mg, October 2022: Stupid rapid taper attempt of Trintellix 20mg -> 10mg -> 7,5 mg.  Back up to 15mg 10/16/2022.

Trintellix: 12/12/2022 13,94 mg (-7%); 1/9/2023 13,0mg (-7%)

• 5 months later...

Measuring doses using a digital scale

I found all the information to do this from reading this site. (I am helping my husband taper from 5mg olanzapine/zyprexa tablets.) We are ending the 2nd week of the initial taper (10%) to 4.5mg.

This is the technique we use:

Supply List:

—Gemini 20 digital scale, reads out to .004 grams (4 milligrams).  It comes with metal jewelry bowl, tweezers, calibration weights, and instruction manual on how to calibrate and tare.

—Marble mortar and pestle (I had on hand) to crush pills to the finest powder, even the tougher coating. Using this also automatically mixes/distributes powder and coating very well...it all turns to powder. (Originally tried a store bought manual pill crusher and it was terrible. Also tried two spoons, not great with the tough coating. The heavy weight of the marble pestle is magic).

—Empty capsules size 00 

—2 blue post-it notes, creased to be used as funnels

—1 standard-size, red-colored sheet of paper as a placemat to catch spills. The red contrasts nicely against spilled powder and the paper is easily used as a backup funnel to finish filling capsule.

—A large clip that acts as a stand which clips to a paperclip. (This is my capsule holder set up). The curve of the paperclip 📎 holds my capsule perfectly.

1. Turn on the scale, calibrate, and then tare with jewelry bowl on the scale.

2. Weigh all the pills we'll be using for the week individually. (7 for us)***

3. Record each weight, take the average. For us, it is .189 grams (or 189 mgpw) for each 5 mgai- milligrams of active ingredient tablet.  

4. Calculate the reduction. First, find the weight of 1 mgai by dividing by the total weight by 5. We divide by 5 because our prescription is for 5mg(ai) per tablet. (.189/5=.0378). Each milligram of active ingredient (plus filler, but let's not go there or it can get confusing) therefore weighs .0378 grams (or 37.8 mgpw). Since we want to reduce to 4.5 mgai (10% off of 5 mg), I multiply .0378 by 4.5 = .170  grams (170 mgpw). I will use the .170 number as my target weight. So, .170 grams = 4.5 mgai

5. Crush all 7 up ( a few at a time)  in the mortar and pestle to a fine powder, until I have my bulk mix.

6. Pour powder onto creased post-it note and turn on scale again, tare with the bowl on the scale.

7. Gently tap/shake powder into the bowl. I go over the target weight by just a little as the number always drops a little when I close the lid. Wait for the scale to settle. 

8. If I overshoot my target weight, I use the end of a pen cap as my tiny "spoon" to remove some powder until I reach target.

9. Pour the weighed powder from bowl to another creased blue post-it (I like the contrast to see powder). 

10. Funnel weighed powder into empty capsule over placemat. Funneling is just me tapping the powder down the creased paper into the mouth of the capsule. 

11. Secure capsule lid, put in designated weekly dose container.

12. Turn off scale in between weighing so it doesn't automatically turn off during one.

13. Put all supplies back into designated desk drawer and say goodbye for the week.

(***Side note: We started the second week of initial reduction at the tail end of a prescription, meaning I could only weigh a few tablets instead of the 7 until prescription was filled. When I took the average of these, it was considerably higher than the previous average.  Each tablet weighed considerably more than the others.  These were all tablets from the same bottle. I believe moisture played a role, even though we kept tablets in the bottle with silica/absorption packet, as we live in a very humid climate and it's the rainy season. Still, they seemed dry as a bone when crushing them. We decided it was best for us to continue to take a weekly average weight and do calculations of 1 milligram of pill weight each week to maintain consistency of the doses, at least for now).

2001-2023 Alcohol use; 2022-2023 Alcohol Harm Reduction (self-taper); Feb 5, 2023 Last drink

Feb 8, 2023 Alcohol withdrawal; ER/hospital; involuntary hold. 

Feb 13 Involuntary rehab. Lexapro 10 mg; Zyprexa 5 mg; Trazodone 100 mg

March 8 & 9 No drugs taken (prescription was delayed); March 10 - Resumed all drugs 

Zyprexa taper 2023 March 28--> 4.5 mg; April 25 -->4.05mg; May 23 -->3.65 mg

June 20-->3.47 mg; July 4 -->3.28 mg; July 25 -->3.12 mg; Aug 8 --> 2.8 mg; Aug 22 --> 2.63 mg;

Sept. 6 --> 2.5 mg (holding) 

Trazodone taper 2023 Sept 19--> 90 mg; Nov. 7 --> 85.5 mg (holding) 

Lexapro taper 2023 Oct. 25--> 9.5 mg; Nov. 7 --> 9 mg

Supplements: magnesium glycinate, omega-3 fish oil

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I need advice on scale-problems.

@brassmonkey I guess you’re the expert on this one?

(I read the thread and watched the video’s. Flat surface, no air moving, not moving the table etc.)

Last weeks I used a Dutch precision scale: Trendfield. I cut tablets Lora ‘till right mg.
Was anoying ‘cause the scale kept doubting between 0,038 and 0,041. And I needed 0,039…. Despite calibrating.

So, ordered Gemini-20 on Amazon.

And ordered capsules do make dosing easier (in stead of cutting or fyling to much). Less doubting. 

But this scale also has issues. After calibrating, the weights weigh 9.999 and a moment later 10.002. 
Same happens when weighing capsules; 0,102 (half capsule incl dosage of 0,039). And the next moment 0,099.

And sometimes it weighs 0,099, I scoop something out and it weighs even more?!

Checking with the Trendfield scale: that one weighs al + 0,002 it seems.

So how can I make precise reductions when all scales are a bit off?

I’m worried I might have to much Lora prior to last weeks (because of the difference in scales).

The difference seems so little, but I’m stabilizing/holding right know and as of September 07th, start tapering again with 10% first two months. 
Worried the dosages are off too much.

Don’t know what to do….

Paroxetine: 1995: seroxat at 11 yo for three months (?!). 2008: Jan: started 10mg, was hell (incl acathisia, dyskinesia). 2009: Feb: started taper, May: 0mg, July: went downhill fast (WD?), Dec: started 10mg again. 2015 + 2017: up to 20mg and down to 10mg, no WD. 2021: June: started taper, aug: 2,8mg, short WD, hold on 3mg, more emotional ever since and more frequent panic attacks. 2023: Jan 26: started taper, March 9: 2,2mg, got WD, hold, WD got worse, March 25: 2,5mg, April 4: missed a dose, 2x suicidal crisis April 11 and 23, severe WD ever since. Reinstatement after six months: Sept 5: 2,6mg, Sept 26: 2,7mg, Oct 23: 2,8mg, Dec 4: 2,9mg, Dec 25: 3,0mg and hold. About 80% recovered from severe WD. Not tapering further next years.

Benzo’s: 2002-2022: using appr. 5-10x 10mg oxa a year. 2008 + 2009: 3x 10mg oxa daily for two weeks when starting Prxt, no WD. 2008: used 10-20mg Dia for a few days for severe orofacial dyskinesia and akathisia (when starting Prxt + high dose Metoclopramide and severe underweight), no WD. 2022used 15x 10mg oxa that year. 2023: March 1-24: around 60mg Oxa total. After March 25: oxa daily around 5-30mg, April 12: switched to 1mg Lora daily (crisis), April 23: 3mg Lora daily (2nd crisis), April 27: 2,25mg Lora daily, May 12: tapered further. June 20: reached 1mg Lora daily, got WD, July 01: 1,25mg Lora daily, no relief. Aug 25: 1,5mg Lora daily, got better after 5 days. Dec 5: 1,7mg Lora daily. 2024, started taper: Feb 01: 1,63mg. March 03: 1,599mg. March 24: 1,566mg.

Intermediate metaboliser (‘bit more slow’) on CYP2D6 (*1/*4) and CYP2C19 (*1/*2). Extensive (‘normal’) on CYP3A4.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/29018-marliesdutch-dutchie-tapering-paroxetine-paxil-14yrs

The Gemini-20 and clones tend to have an error range of 2-3mgpw. Unfortunately, without spending thousands of dollars that's as good as we can get. In general, it is best to weigh once and move on. Reweighing and reweighing the same sample will just lead to frustration.

Most of these medications have an AIC (Active Ingredient Concentration) of about 0.008. Meaning that there is 0.8mgai (Milligrams Active Ingredient) for each 1mgpw (Milligrams Pill Weight). So, slight variations are not all that damaging. Also, we are not so worried about dose strength as we are about Blood Plasma Concentration, the amount of medication in the blood stream at any one time. The act of tapering is to lower the maximum BPC slowly over time. The concentration itself will vary from hour to hour, but it is the maximum that we are concerned with. Making those small variations in the dose strength not really count at all.

Some people are quite sensitive to their dosing and if they are taking a short half-life benzo it can cause problems. But for most people it isn't a problem.

The one way around it is to use a liquid, but that presents its own problems.

@brassmonkey or others..Any idea if the Gemini scales perform much worse in hotter temperatures? I saw you say it has a normal operating temp range going up to 86F but I'm looking to go on holiday soon where I expect temperatures will exceed that. Should I be concerned that the scales won't work as well?

Began paxil/seroxat 20mg in 2001 for social anxiety, age 14

Switched to liquid and at some point tapered down to around 7ml(14mg)

2007 tapered too rapidly down to 4ml had severe depression and anxiety for a year, stabilised at 6.6ml(13.2mg), same dose ever since

Have had 2 negative reactions then, one in 2010 and one in 2014. Currently recovering from this latest one, whole array of symptoms that come and go

Shouldn't cause any problems. For travel I suggest making up all your doses in advance and just taking the "prepackaged" doses with you. Trying to make up doses while traveling is a real pain.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:36 PM, brassmonkey said:

Shouldn't cause any problems. For travel I suggest making up all your doses in advance and just taking the "prepackaged" doses with you. Trying to make up doses while traveling is a real pain.

Thanks, I haven't tried pre-making any doses to be honest. Is it okay to do that or does exposing ground up powder to the air affect the drug somehow?

It would be a lot more convenient to pre make them

Began paxil/seroxat 20mg in 2001 for social anxiety, age 14

Switched to liquid and at some point tapered down to around 7ml(14mg)

2007 tapered too rapidly down to 4ml had severe depression and anxiety for a year, stabilised at 6.6ml(13.2mg), same dose ever since

Have had 2 negative reactions then, one in 2010 and one in 2014. Currently recovering from this latest one, whole array of symptoms that come and go

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy