Digestive problems: nausea, diarrhoea, bloating, GERD

alexjuice

I tried bone broth and it gave me anxiety and I also tried marshmallow root and got me dizzy. anybody out there try dgl or slippery elm to coat the stomach?  Does dgl lower potassium?

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

• Moderator Emeritus
50 minutes ago, GGGG said:

I tried bone broth and it gave me anxiety

Broths tend to be high in glutamates, which is related to MSG (monosodium glutamate).  According to WebMD, glutamates can cause anxiety. Those of us who are or have undergone tapering/withdrawal tend to be sensitive to things like this.  Here is a quote from the article: 

"There is strong evidence that MSG is a factor in schizophrenia, and it has been associated with anxiety, stress, and depression."

Link to the article:  https://www.webmd.com/diet/high-glutamate-foods

A google search gave this: "Bone broth is high in glutamate; some people may be sensitive to this which can manifest in many ways. It may cause anxiety in sensitive people or children where it may manifest behaviourally, e.g., where there are more agitated and anger outbursts, trouble sleeping, insomnia." 

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

12 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Broths tend to be high in glutamates, which is related to MSG (monosodium glutamate).  According to WebMD, glutamates can cause anxiety. Those of us who are or have undergone tapering/withdrawal tend to be sensitive to things like this.  Here is a quote from the article: 

"There is strong evidence that MSG is a factor in schizophrenia, and it has been associated with anxiety, stress, and depression."

Link to the article:  https://www.webmd.com/diet/high-glutamate-foods

A google search gave this: "Bone broth is high in glutamate; some people may be sensitive to this which can manifest in many ways. It may cause anxiety in sensitive people or children where it may manifest behaviourally, e.g., where there are more agitated and anger outbursts, trouble sleeping, insomnia." 

Thanks for the info.  I  can't tolerate anything only aloe vera water and baking soda for heartburn.  I have alot of nausea but I can't take anything for that. I dnt wont to take Zantac or zofran from the dr either.   

Year 2010 to 2020 remeron, Buspar, atenelol, Ativan as needed (once a week)  remeron  stopped working (pooped out)

oct 2020 started amitryptyline took it 3 months 

Dec started wellbutrin, Stopped it 3 months later 

Started Paxil again for 3 months

took vibryd for 1 month, Stopped it in 5 days 

Started sam e 100mgs 3x a day, Tyrosine 1000mgs 3 x a dayfor 6 months 

August 2020 - Off all antidepressants 

16 th of Feb, 2023  started taperingsam e  the 100mg  2 x a day of sam e. I stopped taking the  afternoon one. And started every other day then every r day.

I have noticed a lot more gastroparesis in the winter.
For some reason, a rapid change in weather or a change in air pressure-humidity is also the reason why I have several days
very bad digestion Stomach and intestines are hard to feel and full of gas, although I eat the same as on other days.
Maybe it's also because when I have a migraine I sometimes take half a tablet of Sumatriptan and it usually relieves the headache too.
This is almost always due to indigestion the next day and the day after, and the food is stale.
Could it be related to serotonin levels in the gut?
Can tryptophan help and somehow relieve gastroparesis?

Xanax 0,5mg 1999-2019 a Xanax 0,5mg paar korda kuus, vajadusel

Cymbalta 30mg 2012-25.04.2018 kitsenev 2-3 kuud,rasked sümptomid 1 nädal pärast viimast annust

Amitriptüliin 25mg 25.05.18-20.01.19 ,kitsenev 2-3 kuuga, unetus, paanika-ärevus, segasusseisund, iiveldus

Valdoxan 25mg 10.02.19-10.03.19, ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, Lorasepaam 10.02.19-20.02.19 vajadusel üleöö

Brintellix 5mg 10.03.19-30.06.19 ,ei stabiliseerinud olukorda, hirme, segasust ja unetust, olin haiglas 1 nädal

Olansapiin 5mg 01.03.19-02.08.19,unetuse leevendamiseks suureneb segasus, suureneb depressioon, tekib raske akatiisia Cymbalta 30mg 30.06.19-01.08.19,ei tööta enam, olukord ei stabiliseeru, jälle haiglas 2 nädalat

Levomepromasiin 5mg 03.08.19-20.12.19 aitas magada, kuid suurendas segadust ja depressiooni

Anafraniil 75mg03.08.19-15.12.19  15.12.19 , 35mg  17.05.20  , 27mg 01.01.21 16.07.21 oli päevane A19 mg 01.04.22 11mg 01.11.22 8,6mg, 01.11.23 6,5mg 01.01.24 5mg

• 1 month later...

Hi ive not read every  post here. Ive noticed alot of acid reflux recentky  to the point of being sick with just a bitter liquid. And a really sore inflamed throat.

Ive only  noticed this since ive been tapering of lex and seroquel, i could of had it before but didnt notice. Is this acid

reflux related to cominh off the meds or perhaps the omega 3 .Or maybe something else.

sertraline(jan 2012)100 mg up to 200.  switched to escitalopram (august 2012) 20 mg)no taper x quetiapine(100mg)  ,Slow taper down to 25 quet (2013)escitalopram (20)( april  2022)Tried olanzapine + prozac for 2 weeks (no taper) switched back to (10 mg escitalopram but skipping doses and (25 quet) last 4 yrs coasting on this duo.

reduced escitalopram on 9 october 2023) took 1 pill 10mg in a week

16 th october , 3x 5mg in a week.  , started this week 5 mg sunday 5 mg monday  375 tuesday and today 25th october 2023) 3 mg liquid)  26th oct 2023 (2.5)mg going to hold here.Also taking oral minoxidil 0.650 mg ,(since jan2021)  magnesium, probiotics, collagen, iron,omega369, (,jan 2022)progesterone 100 mg 

• 1 month later...

I too have had GERD symptoms and have had a bad acid reflux flare up recently. I'll admit I've always had acid reflux issues but I've been handling them quite well for the last 4 years. Suddenly at 6month 2 weeks off in my recovery journey it has flared so bad, similar to your symptoms @Ck111 (I'm sorry I don't know how to reference your post). I'm afraid I don't have any answers, but am definitely beginning to think it's related to our issues. I actually went back on a PPI for reflux and then got launched into a wave of symptoms almost immediately...in fact I feel like I regressed back about a month in my recovery journey. It does make me wonder if even a simple thing of repressing stomach acid affects the gut microbe and the brain/nervous system function. I'm waiting it out maybe another week on the meds, if I can, to see if my symptoms calm down again before I come off the PPI. I'm hoping maybe it's a coincidence and I just went into a regular wave.

On Escitalopram for a total of (10 weeks)

10 mg May 7, 2023(22 days/ 3 weeks) / reduced to 5 mg May 30 (for 22 days/3 weeks) / 3 mg June 21 (for 10 days) / 2 mg July 2 (8 days) / 1 mg July 10 (6 days) / Off mg July 17 2023

Supplements: Omega3 DHA. Take as needed (few times a week / not daily): Vitamin B, Multivitamin. Iron, probiotic, Mag Bisglycinate

Experimented & discontinued Taurine (lowered BP too much), L Carnitine (became lightheaded)

On 5.06.2012 at 13:16, Phil said:

Doświadczam wielu problemów z układem pokarmowym... głównie wzdęcia i uczucie, że mój żołądek nie trawi prawidłowo jedzenia.

Przestałam jeść gluten i to bardzo pomogło na wzdęcia , a także pomogło mi poczuć się lepiej psychicznie.

Nadal jednak mam trudności z trawieniem ciężkich pokarmów, takich jak białko.

When I read this thread I think that reintroducing escitalpram after 10 months for gastrpareza symptoms doesn't make sense because it's something more permanent?

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

• 2 weeks later...

About 5 months ago I started developing esophagitis caused by acid reflux. This happened a few months after I was stabilized after my last taper and felt somewhat ‘OK’ after the horrible years of tapering. I was prescribed a proton-pump inhibitor and just like my sensitivity to other medications like SSRI’s, this medication had serious side effects and messed up my gut flora, which also impacted my mental well-being (probably because of the correlation between the gut and serotonin). I stopped the PPI immediately and my gut flora took more than 2 moths to improve. so please be aware off these ppi’s!

Acid reflux and esophagitis is worse since I tapered from 6 to 4mg Citalopram (yes more than 10% taper and a stupid move in hindsight).

Before bed the symptoms are worse and what gives some temporary and instant relieve is a capsule of licorice root and a cup of very strong chamomile tea. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello dear community, 

Curious others experience. My protracted injury started 3 months ago. Chronic nausea is a primary and most difficult symptom. I drink ginger tea but really still have to force food down. I know only time heals this. Curious how long peoples nausea lasted? 

Protracted withdrawal from Lexapro- on SSRI's for 22 years. CT at 2.5mg after 10 month taper September 2023. Bad idea. Currently severe nausea- chronic, insomnia/sleeplessness, pain, fatigue, burning sensations. Trying to suffer well, find hope during this time of neurological repair. 

Current Meds:

Lamictal 25mg-holding

Klonopin currently 0.039 2 x daily- liquid micro-tapering

Mirtazapine 3.75mg q pm- holding

My goal is hyperbolic tapering for as many years as needed to come off all meds. 

• Administrator

@Pinkpoodle78 This topic has lots of great information about nausea which is a well know symptom of WD. Hope this helps.

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy