Peggyb: Struggling with Celexa

peggyb

That makes a lot of sense then that it's become worse after the antibiotic. I'm going to have to keep working on making sure I don't forget doses until I can completely wean off .Thank you. 

1996 Celexa- slow taper down starting 2020, started at 10ml compounded liquid down to 5.6 ml. Have decreased several times by .5 with several months wait in between. Tapered by .2 quite a few times with time in between- do not have any other specific details about my taper as I have lost the paper it was written on and cannot remember taper details. 

2000-2023 30 mg Buspar at bedtime

Been weaning off celexa slowly for  5 yrs now- not kept good  records of wean or symptoms cause of dealing w multiple health issues. I have cognitive issues  so forgot about  recommendations on this website for wean but only did a wean about every  six months and  reduced down by .5 ml each time. This year I've done a couple of .2 weans space far apart. They were times  went even longer than that and did  hold. After  wean  would have worsening depression about week later but didn't document keep track of looking at any other symptoms cause have so many health conditions I'm trying to manage, research about as drs have not been much help. Recently due to worsening cognitive issues from mold I've been missing couple of doses a week accidentally. And then recently drs putting me on excessive amounts of antibiotics for pneumonia have impacted me horribly,  mentally and physically. Starting about 2 years ago twice week  would have electric, burning shocks coursing through body waking me up in  the night even when had not done a wean. Now since missing doses and the antibiotic it is happening almost every day non-stop. It is horrible. Have put a dry erase board and marking doses of Celexa everyday so I don't forget it now as I have to take it out of frig... compounded has to be refrigerated. Has anyone experienced this symptom and is there anything that has helped you... any kind of supplement etc? I'm doing mindfulness, breathe work, other regulating techniques, trauma work on myself( I'm a therapist.) I see a therapist, eat super healthy. I'm struggling to work now and health is dangerous shape right now from mold. With so much going on w health I think I'm just going to give up trying to get off  Celexa as I'm worried not going to live much longer. Due to  cost of the liquid celexa I want to go back on  pill and I'm now down to 10 mg. If I switch from the liquid to the pill will I have any side effects?

1996 Celexa- slow taper down starting 2020, started at 10ml compounded liquid down to 5.6 ml. Have decreased several times by .5 with several months wait in between. Tapered by .2 quite a few times with time in between- do not have any other specific details about my taper as I have lost the paper it was written on and cannot remember taper details. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Peggy it sounds like you are being hit by a tsunami of things that are aggravating your withdrawal: missing doses, other health issues, antibiotics, etc.  Some of these you have control over, and others, you don't. 

You do have control over missing doses.  It is imperative that you be very diligent about not missing doses.  Missing doses is like playing ping pong with your brain.  Even with your cognitive issues and other health issues, I believe that if you really make it a priority to do whatever you can to remind yourself each day, you can avoid missing doses. 

I don't know if there is anything you can do about your mold problem.  If there is, please do so.  

My suggestion to you, is to just to do a very long hold period, as in 1 year, or even 2-3 years.  It sounds like you are quite overwhelmed with many adverse circumstances at this time.  I'm very sorry to hear that the antibiotics for the pneumonia have affected you so badly.  Perhaps in the future, you will be in a better position to taper.  Best of luck, and I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the empathy about the mold, I'm trying to find a way to figure out financially to get out or fix it but no luck yet . And actually I'm having Alzheimer's symptoms, even went to a neurologist about it... so I'm struggling with everything not just forgetting my medicine. So me forgetting is not me being irresponsible or something I completely have control of. I'm doing the best I can with the dry erase board and marking. I also have autoimmune, ADHD, learning disability and cognitive issues coming from CFS. I live alone, no family to help me, struggling to work even  part-time job due to my physical disability... so anybody would have a hard time handling all this.  Do you know about the question I asked at the end- if I switch from 10 mg Celexa liquid to 10 mg Celexa pill is it possible that it'll cause side effects? Is there a forum on here specific to Celexa where I might could ask if anyone's experience symptoms switching from liquid to pill? I struggle navigating and understanding this website due to the cognitive but I'm very grateful that it's here.

I'm going to have to do a long hold with my Celexa. Have  trauma and bad life circumstances going on along with health issues from mold exposure.   I'm on 10 mg of a compounded liquid that I've been working with for quite a few years now. I have to pay cash for that compound so I want to switch to 10 mg pills of Celexa since insurance covers. Does anyone know if that will cause any kind of symptoms switching from liquid to pill?

• Administrator

Hi @peggyb,

I've moved your post back to your thread.

5 hours ago, peggyb said:

I'm on 10 mg of a compounded liquid that I've been working with for quite a few years now. I have to pay cash for that compound so I want to switch to 10 mg pills of Celexa since insurance covers. Does anyone know if that will cause any kind of symptoms switching from liquid to pill?

This is a good post to read on the topic you asked about:

I hope this helps.

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,