Paun

Paun

SINUSITIS-Pristiq and Mirtazapine withdrawal. I have been on a variety of anti depressants since I lost my 19 year old son in a car accident in 2010. I also was diagnosed with PTSD as I was a victim of a violent crime when I was 10 years old. I was put on Paxil about 15 years ago but nothing else. Since 2010 I have been on Clonazepam, Abilify, Divalproex, Zolpidem, Mirtazapine, Pristiq, Trazadone, Vyvanse and probably more, but my memory has been bad since I am withdrawing from Mirtzapine, Pristiq, Zolpidem and Divalproex at the moment. I stopped  COLD TURKEY off all of these at some point during the last 8 years as I was on about 3-5 at the same time. STOPPED- Pristiq and Divalproex 29Jan18,  Mirtazapine  5Feb18 and Zolpidem 7Mar18. After stopping I realized that these medications had serious withdrawal symptoms. I had no idea. Side effects and withdrawal were NEVER discussed. I don't think I suffered withdrawal from the other ones mentioned when I stopped as they were always replaced with others. I realized that my sudden suffering was caused by withdrawal after reading posts on the internet. I had no idea what was going on and I thought I was dying and did not understand what had suddenly happened. Unbelievable that anyone would not know this I realize now. I stopped because I started to tremble all over and started to wake at night with uncontrollable constant movement of my legs (restless leg syndrome perhaps??) I felt that I had been poisoned and just wanted everything out of my system IMMEDIATELY. I realize now that this may not have been the best option but after 2 weeks off I did not want to go back. I am now about 6-7 weeks off and still suffering the effects. The worst for me is the sinus/head problems. I have worn down a front tooth from my very active tonge and dry mouth. The sinus pressure is unbearable. I have been on a course of antibiotics and a steroid nasal spray, neither offered relief. My sinuses are just irritated. I have written down about 75 problems that I have experienced since withdrawing. From hair falling out to irritated itchy fingers and toes, so much so that scratching has led to bleeding. Irritability, sadness, anger, rage and mean outbursts are common. Sweating, vivid dreams, brain zaps, dizziness, unsteadiness, tinnitus, difficulty swallowing, diarrhea, crazy hunger, hollow feeling of starving all the time, weight gain, pounding heart, pain in liver and kidney area, shooting pain in chest, clumsiness, dry eyes, dry/brittle skin all over my body, dark brown dry patches on my face, raspy dry voice, hollow vision, metallic taste in mouth, numbness in arms and legs, muscle cramps in legs, loss of focus, unable to concentrate, memory problems, hot/cold sweats, body temperature changes, excessive sweating at night requiring changing bed sheets daily as pyjamas and bed soaked, jumpy, slurred speech and gums pumping with painful throbbing and stinging, feeling like they were swollen to the point of expelling my teeth. I have not provided a full list of symptoms as it is much longer than this "short" list. Today..my worst symptoms are tinnitus, dry mouth, sinus pressure and pain, sadness, sore pumping gums (been to dentist twice) and dizziness. I believe that things are getting and will continue to get better but am getting very tired of waiting for tomorrow because today is unbearable. I will be discussing this with my doctors in the next few weeks as I do not believe that these medications should EVER be given without first discussing the possible side effects and withdrawal symptoms. I do understand that "cold turkey" may not be the best route, but it seems from reading hundreds of posts that horrific withdrawal symptoms are experienced by those who went "cold turkey" and those who tapered. For me, I am glad that the poison is out of me and that the liver, kidney, heart, endocrine system, nerve and other possible damage done to my body while on these drugs may if not start to heal not be damaged further. To all of us I wish a healthy future as I am confident we will get through this and start living again.

4 hours ago, vmundy2 said:

Zoloft 200mg every day  dates January 2016- January 2018

AD Drug History

Paxil, Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Elavil, Trazadone, Vyvanse, Mirtazapine, Pristiq, Divalpreoex, Zolpidem, Abilify

Currently On 

1 mg Lorazepam

25 mg Elavil

Stopped COLD TURKEY

Pristiq 100-29Jan18

Mirtazapine 45-5Feb18

Divalproex-??-29Jan18

Zolpidem-5-7Mar18

Still considerable problems continuing since stopping Jan29/18 include-SINUSITIS very severe pain and pressure,  tinnitus (very intense), sweating profusely, dry mouth, rough active tongue, clumsiness, sore/throbbing/aching gums (have worn down a front tooth from grinding), sadness and extreme irritability. I have a list of over 50 adverse withdrawal symptoms including physical and psychological. Many have gone away but I am not ready to declare victory over them yet as the ones that remain are horrific.

Stopped COLD TURKEY- 29January2018-because I started to experience all over tremors and tingling along with restless legs that woke me up at night. Felt I was being poisoned. Have a list of over 50 withdrawal side effects. The worst that continue today are- tinnitus, off balance, dry mouth,  extreme irritability, unbearable sinus pressure and pain, throbbing and painful gums (been to dentist twice) rough and active tongue. I am optimistic that these will slowly pass even though I look forward to sleeping as it is the only thing that offers any relief.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Paun, and welcome to SA.  

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
To help you understand what you are experiencing, here is some excellent information on withdrawal:

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Please be aware that sometime withdrawal symptoms don't appear immediately after a too-fast taper.

Many members have found the techniques in the following two links helpful in coping with withdrawal.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.  

While B vitamins are often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal they can be overstimulating, and we suggest you avoid them.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. Please post all questions and updates here.  Each member can have only one Introduction topic.  

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed white space

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Unfortunately I am not well enough to fully understand the intent of this note. Perhaps when I am better I will properly respond in the correct format or in a way that is required. I was just looking for a little support. I am sorry if I wasted anyones time.

• Moderator Emeritus

You didn't waste anyone's time.  I was providing information which I hope will be helpful to you.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I found Paun's drug history in vmundy's topic.  I'm reposting it here because it ended up going in before some other posts.

Paun's drug history

AD Drug History

Paxil, Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Elavil, Trazadone, Vyvanse, Mirtazapine, Pristiq, Divalpreoex, Zolpidem, Abilify

Currently On 

1 mg Lorazepam

25 mg Elavil

Stopped COLD TURKEY

Pristiq 100-29Jan18

Mirtazapine 45-5Feb18

Divalproex-??-29Jan18

Zolpidem-5-7Mar18

Still considerable problems continuing since stopping Jan29/18 include-SINUSITIS very severe pain and pressure,  tinnitus (very intense), sweating profusely, dry mouth, rough active tongue, clumsiness, sore/throbbing/aching gums (have worn down a front tooth from grinding), sadness and extreme irritability. I have a list of over 50 adverse withdrawal symptoms including physical and psychological. Many have gone away but I am not ready to declare victory over them yet as the ones that remain are horrific.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Paun,

You didn’t say or do anything wrong. The mods were just explaining to you why your CNS is so de-stabilized. I am surprised you are well enough to even communicate. If I make a teeny tiny cut In just one drug my body/brain react immediately. I know how you felt though. You just wanted the poison out of your body. 

I would be be open to any advice the mods give you here. Unfortunately those of us who have been poly-drugged are so much tougher to advise, as tweaking one drug affects the others. 

I know now how miserable and desperate you are, and I am sorry. Stay open to suggestions and truly take it one hour (and symptom) at a time. I admire your strength and courage. I think you may have done too much too fast but I hesitate to make any suggestions. I will leave that up to the experts. They are just trying to get a handle on your history. Everything matters. 

I have ave very bad sinusitis right now but I am not assuming it is w/d. Sometimes we get sick and can’t discern if it is w/d or not and a doctor’s visit is warranted. I am 3 weeks into this infection and am holding out longer as I don’t want to further de-stabilize myself with more drugs. 

I wish you peace and calmness in the storm. 

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  • currently 2024 still on 96 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi paun and welcome to SA from me too,

On 20/03/2018 at 7:08 AM, Paun said:

I was just looking for a little support. I am sorry if I wasted anyones time.

Gridley's welcoming post to you is how we start with all members when they joining Surviving Antidepressants.  There is certain information that we need to find out from the member about their drug history and there is certain information which we like to give members which might help them.

My suggestion would be to work through the information Gridley gave you as you are able to.  When you read the information you will be better able to understand what you are going through.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management